Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Eldercain posted:

Why even bother with the survey then? Surely there's somebody closer at hand to tell you you're so wonderful?

Not saying I don't think it happens, though.

Spelling doesn't matter in a lot of people's job's (hint: it still does) but uh... write is a word you use frequently when, say, writing out lines. How in the world can you successfully program anything if you can't spell?

Don't have to spell to program, you just have to misspell everything consistently (also Intellisense and other IDE autocomplete mechanisms will gleefully help you assign a value to Porduct.Naem). Had a co-worker worker who'd been in the industry for 25 years, part of that time doing programming, who had atrocious spelling. He sent me an email once that had so many misspellings that I was convinced he was doing it intentionally to poke extra fun at the already humorous topic. He wasn't, and furthermore he was aware of his bad spelling and sensitive about it, so that when I laughed he thought I was making fun of his deficiency.

I apologized of course, and after that he asked me to proofread any time he had to send some important letter and wanted it to look professional (which wasn't too often, he was generally pretty casual in his intra-office dealings). Which, come to think of it, is not the first time I've done that job for people with more experience and authority - worked in a pizza joint for a while many moons ago and occasionally proofread the manager's important emails (honest-to-god biker chick in her late forties, a totally awesome lady who could not spell for poo poo).

Frankly I think we're the exception. Being able to spell and construct sentences with good grammar are apparently not skills generally valued outside of secretarial duties. Plenty of managers can't seem to spell their way out of a wet paper sack without their assistants, so they don't value it among their own kind. People are out of practice because of the casual and clipped nature of online and text communication. We've got this increasing level of globalization happening which means more and more we're communicating with people who know English as a second language at best. I'm not terribly surprised, thinking about it, that people just don't have any reason to bother most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Nerdrock posted:

Just had my butthole-puckering incident of today :

<snip>

Thank you for reminding me why I keep all of our munki config (along with LCFG headers & Machination profiles) in git.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Oyster posted:

A ticket came in.

From Microsoft. They want to clean up my computer. I'm nowhere near my computer, so I asked them to call back tomorrow afternoon. I'd like to spin up a VM and horribly infect it, but from what I understand cryptowall doesn't work in VM's, even if I could find it....

I posted in the 'working in IT' thread that my friends mom fell for this. I checked out her laptop and basically all they did was take $150, no rootkits or spyware found. I did wipe and reimage the machine though.

edit: unless you are talking about loading up the VM with virii and such and letting them in. I think you should set up a VM at 640x480 and install every toolbar you can find

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kyyrewyyoae posted:

That's the whole ticket from new our new programmer. Where do I even start?

chmod -R 777 /

:v:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Danith posted:

edit: unless you are talking about loading up the VM with virii and such and letting them in. I think you should set up a VM at 640x480 and install every toolbar you can find

http://www.h3m3.com/hot-dog-stand

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Wasn't there a blog post about someone who found a vulnerability in the remote control software used by a lot of these guys which would allow for control of the scammer's pc.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Varkk posted:

Wasn't there a blog post about someone who found a vulnerability in the remote control software used by a lot of these guys which would allow for control of the scammer's pc.

http://www.scriptjunkie.us/2014/09/exploiting-ammyy-admin-developing-an-0day/

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Eldercain posted:

Why even bother with the survey then? Surely there's somebody closer at hand to tell you you're so wonderful?

Not saying I don't think it happens, though.

Spelling doesn't matter in a lot of people's job's (hint: it still does) but uh... write is a word you use frequently when, say, writing out lines. How in the world can you successfully program anything if you can't spell?

The survey comes from very high up above, and the people in the middle don't want bad news going up. In my case the company decided everyone in the company would get a survey. My director had advanced in the company by managing data not people. The numbers had to look good, but never mind what anyone thought or felt about things. This showed on the surveys.

I have told this story before, but the fix to the problem of low survey results was punishment meetings. He knew in aggregate what the results were, and if the average was low for a specific facet of the survey, he knew how we all individually answered. So we had 4 weeks of meetings where we had to sit and see our manager raked over the coals for our 'confusion' over the questions, and at the same time get patronizing and confrontational questions about what our interpretation of questions were and why we answered specific ways.

The next year the survey results were much better.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Inovius posted:

A ticket closure email came in:

Your recent request to IT Support has been resolved. Description: SWITCHNAME - Node Down Resolution: {"Client unplugged Network switch to use Microwave."}

:aaa:

You just reminded me of me a time back in college, I was studying abroad and we were having a potluck dinner in the dorm lobby. It was winter and there was no heat (because Japan, lol) so I'm sitting there with my chicken rotisserie-looking space heater plugged into a power strip. A new student who had just joined the program came down and sat beside me, and plugged his rotisserie in to the same power strip. As it turns out, the power strip was plugged into the same outlet as switch gear for the entire building! (All the networking poo poo was just sitting out in the open on top of some table, it's a wonder more people didn't gently caress around with it.) Long story short we blew the circuit, down goes the internet, and out comes the 10 or so students who spent their entire time studying abroad going to classes, returning to their rooms to sleep, and waking up at midnight local time to go raid with their WoW guilds. It was incredible, and I was about in tears laughing at them as they one by one came out of their rooms just utterly enraged at the outage. It was a Friday evening and we didn't have access to the circuit breakers.

(I ended up feeling a bit guilty and donated an extension cord to the cause. We plugged it into the same outlet as the microwave on the 2nd floor balcony and got everyone back into their games within about 30min.)

Ahhh, memories. :allears:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
An assistant came in! And then didn't.

After a couple of months of searching I finally found a good candidate to replace my previous assistant who left to pursue his future elsewhere. HR approved, he was hired and the requisite paperwork was sent out to him. He accepted the position a couple of weeks ago and was set to start on Monday. This morning the HR manager tells me she needs to talk to me with a very grave look on her face. She got an e-mail from the guy saying that he was turning down the position as he accepted another position that was "more in line with his career goals". Mind you this was after he had accepted the position and I'm assuming sent his deal memo paperwork back to HR. They weren't happy and I wasn't exactly thrilled.

:negative:

In hindsight he probably would not have been a very good fit if he thinks that accepting an offer weeks ago and subsequently turning down that offer with almost no notice was a good decision. Back to the hiring grind.

*edit* Mountains out of molehills. In the grand scheme of things not a big deal

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 25, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Shrug, good on him for finding something better.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

GreenNight posted:

Shrug, good on him for finding something better.

Finding something better is all well and good but he could have gone about it a better way. During the interview process he was very enthusiastic and said he would be able to start immediately, etc etc. If he had said a couple of weeks ago that he had found another job then good for him, but with less than a week isn't cool in my opinion.

:shrug: maybe I'm just jaded because I'm doing the job of multiple people alone. Hell it's probably time for me to :yotj:

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 25, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm sure he took your offer sheet and another company beat it. I guess it's better than him quitting after a week when the other job hits.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pr0digal posted:

During the interview process he was very enthusiastic and said he would be able to start immediately, etc etc.

"This job kind of looks like bullshit but the rent is due."

Definitely gonna get hired with that line.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FISHMANPET posted:

When I worked retail, "Please advise" was codeword for "what the gently caress is wrong with you."

"Why wasn't our latest truck load properly stocked,.

Please advise"

See, those are the kinds of questions people in my workplace are instructed to have in person -- you're likelier to get an honest answer and less likely to start a fight.

Renegret posted:

Makes it easier for IT to take a working lunch :downsrim:

Back when I worked overnights, I once had to wake up the on call and have him drag his rear end down to a remote site because a switch went down. Turns out the overnight cleaning dude decided to randomly unplug some random switch to plug is vacuum in because, hey, it's not like anybody's actually using this stuff right now, right? I mean, there's nobody even here.

I am tasked with vacuuming out our server room every few months. It sometimes feels like a chore, but it's stories like this one that remind me why it's a good thing that only our team is allowed in there.

Edit: When I read about IT people in smaller offices complaining that people step into their server room to sneak in phone calls or having managers demand storage space in a small IT closed with tens of thousands of dollars of business critical equipment...

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Gothmog1065 posted:

A ticket came in.

Typical teacher with a laptop that has been misbehaving for months. Teacher is angry that we don't drop all things and go to him RIGHT THEN AT 8 AM DURING OUR MEETING. A coworker gets to him on his planning period, teacher refuses to let him work on the laptop citing it's been screwing up for months (And has never let us know), and the doesn't care anymore because he's only going to be here until the end of the year.

Now we get to file reports with our director and the principal as to why the teacher's laptop hasn't been fixed.

Skipping over the teacher's laptop misbehaving for months, and skipping over all the instances of teachers being really really horrible users for a second:

Why not help him out? Odds are you probably didn't discuss anything of value during your meeting (if it was like most IT meetings I know) and you had the opportunity to be a hero to a teacher whose job is pretty hard already.

Help a teacher teach kids? Yes, please.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Agrikk posted:

Skipping over the teacher's laptop misbehaving for months, and skipping over all the instances of teachers being really really horrible users for a second:

Why not help him out? Odds are you probably didn't discuss anything of value during your meeting (if it was like most IT meetings I know) and you had the opportunity to be a hero to a teacher whose job is pretty hard already.

Help a teacher teach kids? Yes, please.

Chances are the teacher is an unmitigated asshat with no redeeming qualities as an end user. Education IT is almost as bad as health care IT or legal IT in terms of how big a shithead the average end user is.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

GreenNight posted:

I'm sure he took your offer sheet and another company beat it. I guess it's better than him quitting after a week when the other job hits.

Well when you look at it that way it's better. Now if HR would let me hire someone with experience or be willing to actually pay more than jack poo poo I wouldn't be having a problem. I was told I wasn't allowed to post on Monster or Dice.

Maybe it's time to :yotj:, assistant/replacement be damned

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Chances are the teacher is an unmitigated asshat with no redeeming qualities as an end user. Education IT is almost as bad as health care IT or legal IT in terms of how big a shithead the average end user is.

No, I get it. I've done work for schools and yeah, I agree that teachers can be pants-on-head retarded. My post was more of a "help a brother out, already" kind of thing because I forgot that this was the ticket thread and here there be gripes. :)

Also,

Potato Salad posted:

Edit: When I read about IT people in smaller offices complaining that people step into their server room to sneak in phone calls or having managers demand storage space in a small IT closed with tens of thousands of dollars of business critical equipment...

I think I posted earlier ITT about how I found out that people in my office were using the server closet as a changing room before our Wednesday workouts...

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 25, 2015

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

pr0digal posted:

An assistant came in! And then didn't.

After a couple of months of searching I finally found a good candidate to replace my previous assistant who left to pursue his future elsewhere. HR approved, he was hired and the requisite paperwork was sent out to him. He accepted the position a couple of weeks ago and was set to start on Monday. This morning the HR manager tells me she needs to talk to me with a very grave look on her face. She got an e-mail from the guy saying that he was turning down the position as he accepted another position that was "more in line with his career goals". Mind you this was after he had accepted the position and I'm assuming sent his deal memo paperwork back to HR. They weren't happy and I wasn't exactly thrilled.

:negative:

In hindsight he probably would not have been a very good fit if he thinks that accepting an offer weeks ago and subsequently turning down that offer with almost no notice was a good decision. Back to the hiring grind.

Eh, good for him, he doesn't owe your company anything, your company would have canned him and not given a gently caress if there was any way it would benefit them, and he told you as soon as he knew he had something better.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Danith posted:

I posted in the 'working in IT' thread that my friends mom fell for this. I checked out her laptop and basically all they did was take $150, no rootkits or spyware found. I did wipe and reimage the machine though.

Yes, my intention was to mess with them. I've heard that they look for VM's now, but I have an extra laptop I just slotted a hard drive into that I fully intend on infecting as much as I can. Strange how difficult cryptowall is to find when you're actually looking for it.

This is a thing of beauty and I wish I was that good. I just walk around hospitals and fix printers.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Pretty much this. I help out a multitude of teachers who are incredibly grateful. We had one other teacher, said his laptop has had nothing but trouble for months (some weird short in the palmrest, took forever to fix) and he was almost giddy. Most teachers (including the one who has the programming computer lab and is a constant pain in our rear end) at least is patient and (somewhat) understands that sometimes fixes take time (Like the recent Facebook filter that broke Google Drive syncing :suicide:)

This guy's communication from start to finish was terse rear end in a top hat from start to finish. He's the athletic director, so he's probably used to people bowing to his whim at any given moment. The coworker got out there, started to do his fixes, asked the guy to log back in and the teacher refused to let him touch or look at the laptop or even refused to talk to the tech again. We ended up reporting it to the administration and our director, and he almost punished badly for it. I'm assuming some other administrators have had dealings with this guy and immediately jumped on the punishment bandwagon. We told him we're not fussed with punishment, we just wanted them to know in case he did start complaining that we did our best to talk to him.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just got told by my boss that I should make sure all the printers are fully stocked with paper at all times because it's IT stuff.

I get notifications for the MFP we have in house but what, I'm supposed to get up every hour to check the printers because the users are too loving lazy to take the pack next to the printers and refill the trays?

It's the little things that drive me crazy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Next time there is a network issue, leave and go check all the printers.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Next time there is a network issue, leave and go check all the printers.

We all sit in one big room (me with rest of the staff). So when people are doing massive prints and it empties out the printer they just go sit back down like it's not their problem.

I guess I'll just set a 2 hour timer to remind me to get up and walk around since my years of experience qualify me to load paper into a tray.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Are they network printers? SNMP that poo poo!

(But seriously gently caress printers sideways always and forever)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Order a half dozen additional paper trays for each printer. Put in 2000+ pages every morning.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Set the print server up so that if a printer runs out of paper, it automatically routes the job to the furthest printer away and tells them which printer they have to go to.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gwaihir posted:

Are they network printers? SNMP that poo poo!

(But seriously gently caress printers sideways always and forever)

I suppose I could do that but :effort:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Set the print server up so that if a printer runs out of paper, it automatically routes the job to the furthest printer away and tells them which printer they have to go to.

Then I have to hear "Why did my labels come out of the MFP" or "Why isn't this in color".

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

My coworker tells me that our user who was pressing "restart" to log in to their computer a couple weeks ago has apparently forgotten to not press "restart" to log in to their computer today. :allears:

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

m.hache posted:

We all sit in one big room (me with rest of the staff). So when people are doing massive prints and it empties out the printer they just go sit back down like it's not their problem.

I guess I'll just set a 2 hour timer to remind me to get up and walk around since my years of experience qualify me to load paper into a tray.
Are you sure he wasn't joking?

If my boss told me that, I'd assume she was joking.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone ever fly with a Cisco router in a carry-on? I need to take one to our Florida office next week.

e: vvv Well it costs money (not that big of a deal) and things get lost when mailed (very big deal). Plus i will have room for it in my carry on. It is only a small Cisco 5505. I am just hoping that I don't get hassled going through security with it.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 25, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Why don't you just mail it down?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Trastion posted:

Anyone ever fly with a Cisco router in a carry-on? I need to take one to our Florida office next week.

e: vvv Well it costs money (not that big of a deal) and things get lost when mailed (very big deal). Plus i will have room for it in my carry on. It is only a small Cisco 5505. I am just hoping that I don't get hassled going through security with it.

Do you really trust the TSA not to misclassify it as some kind of weapon

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If it's just a 5505, I think the worst you'd have to do is take it out of your bag like with a laptop.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

pr0digal posted:

Finding something better is all well and good but he could have gone about it a better way. During the interview process he was very enthusiastic and said he would be able to start immediately, etc etc. If he had said a couple of weeks ago that he had found another job then good for him, but with less than a week isn't cool in my opinion.

I did this at Christmas; it felt immensely lovely because the job would be an excellent learning opportunity, the lone wolf manager also interviewed me and was a no-bullshit coolguy, and I could go to their Christmas party. But less than a week before starting my current job I got my contract renegotiated for more dosh, money wins out unfortunately.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Trastion posted:

Thanks to the Sony attacks the TSA is on the lookout for Cyber Terrorists, you'll probably be pulled aside for a more intense search. They'll want to make sure you're not carrying any "scriptz" or "warez".

In reality you'll probably be fine, maybe you'll have to answer a question as to what it is.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Inspector_666 posted:

If it's just a 5505, I think the worst you'd have to do is take it out of your bag like with a laptop.

Yeah this is pretty much what I figured.

pr0digal posted:

Thanks to the Sony attacks the TSA is on the lookout for Cyber Terrorists, you'll probably be pulled aside for a more intense search. They'll want to make sure you're not carrying any "scriptz" or "warez".

In reality you'll probably be fine, maybe you'll have to answer a question as to what it is.

I doubt they would comprehend what it is even if I tried to explain it to them.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

A switch shouldn't be an issue, the TSA doesn't really care what you bring on as long as it doesn't have pointy bits or a large dense mass that could be an explosive in it when they X-ray it. Worse case they may pull it aside and wipe one of those bomb-reside-detecting cloths over it.

My boss once showed up to the airport for a business flight with a small cooler full of soda cans. That didn't work out well.

In printer chat, I've discovered that the new small Samsung printers we're rolling out will switch their tray's paper size to legal any time someone tries to send a legal-sized job to them, then it has to be manually set back to letter before it'll take normal jobs. Naturally checking tray paper size is beyond the scope of the average user, but at least I can toggle it back over the web interface. Samsung printers have really made me miss HP printers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

This is all you need to do. Proactively displaying weird electronics radically reduces any hassles you get from TSA.

Also, get a known traveler number from TSA. $85 for five years of express lines and minimal TSA hassle is very, very worth it. The first time I breezed through TSA security while all the regular schulbs groused in the long line paid for itself.

• Locked thread