Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Its kind of funny, after I wrote that I was thinking...hrm, is D Dorian really easier to remember than my generic "arpeggiated descending blah blah" approach? Then it dawned on me that after I've forgotten the specifics of the lick its going to be a real pain in the rear end to trial and error my way to success from "arpeggiated descending ...". After all this though, I'm going to remember "D Dorian" now. Even though I'll probably have to google what that means as far as what gets flatted, I'll still be able to figure out the eligible notes in the riff. That along with the picking pattern and where to start (all easy to remember) and I'm basically there. That's pretty cool. :unsmith:

tldr I am sold on the merits of this approach

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well it also means that when you can't actually remember what to play, you can just make something up like you're in session mode, and because you know the scale it'll at least fit. Rocksmith will be unimpressed, but it'll sound all right at least!

As far as the 'which notes are flatted' bit goes, it might help to think of modes as variations on the major or minor scale. Natural minor (aeolian) is the major scale with the 3rd, 6th and 7th flatted, right? Dorian is that minor scale, except the 6th is left natural. It's a little less minor-y

One thing you could try, if you've identified the lead part is in Dorian, is try playing it in Aeolian instead. Anywhere you play the 6th (B if you're in D Dorian), play b6 instead, one fret lower. It should sound pretty different wherever you hit that note, either changing the feel of the melody, or just sounding outright wrong over the rest of the music. If that one note stands out, hopefully when you try to remember later and you jump into playing a basic minor scale, you'll notice that note and go 'oh wait I need to shift that one don't I'.

A good example of that is how a lot of major scales in rock are actually Mixolydian, which is a major scale with a flat 7th, so you get that whole-tone, 2-fret move from the 7th to the root. If you play the natural 7th with its little semitone move, it sounds all 'ta-da!' and can be real cheesy. Mixo gives you a little more edge, and you'll probably notice if you don't make that adjustment to the major scale

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Papa Roach 3 pack next week

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

toymach1ne posted:

Papa Roach 3 pack next week

Gives me an excuse to grab the Audioslave and Rage packs I guess.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Mr E posted:

Gives me an excuse to grab the Audioslave and Rage packs I guess.

I guess that is your last resort.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

unlawfulsoup posted:

I guess that is your last resort.

I just wish somebody would tell me I'm fine.

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!
Nothing's all right.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398014925

Ow.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

pack?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

baka kaba posted:

One thing you could try, if you've identified the lead part is in Dorian, is try playing it in Aeolian instead. Anywhere you play the 6th (B if you're in D Dorian), play b6 instead, one fret lower.

The sixth never gets played, that's why I wasn't sure.

Oops, yes it does and its not flat, so Dorian.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 24, 2015

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Papa Roach Song Pack – $7.99

Papa Roach “Getting Away With Murder” – Drop C
Papa Roach “Last Resort” – Drop D
Papa Roach “Scars” – Eb Drop Db

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
So this game just does not get along with my bass.
I can play all day on guitar and its fine but if I switch to my bass half the time it doesn't work at all and the other half I can get through about 1 song, and then it starts missing notes, by the end of 2, no input at all. Can't even calibrate, it's like I am not plugged in.
What the hell? Has anyone had a problem like this?

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 24, 2015

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Is it an active bass? Is it time to replace the battery? Mine would act similarly.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

TheBlackRoija posted:

So this game just does not get along with my bass.
I can play all day on guitar and its fine but if I switch to my bass half the time it doesn't work at all and the other half I can get through about 1 song, and then it starts missing notes, by the end of 2, no input at all. Can't even calibrate, it's like I am not plugged in.
What the hell? Has anyone had a problem like this?

What kinda bass do you have? I just got some pretty decent improvement on RS recognizing my j-bass by making sure to halve the volume of one pickup (usually half bridge for fingered, half neck for picked songs). If you have two single coils, both at max apparently does some odd phase canceling stuff. (My guitar got the same benefit but the game cared less than I did for a three humbucker setup.)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

WingsOfSteel posted:

Nothing's all right.

Can't go on living this way.

On the plus side I did just pick up the Sublime and Cake pack last week so I can just keep on keeping on with those.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

DeathSandwich posted:

On the plus side I did just pick up the Sublime and Cake pack last week so I can just keep on keeping on with those.

gently caress Sublime, I'm so tired of hearing the same 2 songs on the radio over and over.

However, the Cake pack rocks and everyone should own it.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Epsilon Plus posted:

Is it an active bass? Is it time to replace the battery? Mine would act similarly.

:doh:

I swear that was the first thing I tried, but it turns out the spare battery in my case was actually a dead one that I left in there

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 24, 2015

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

God I love the Cake pack so much

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Gough Suppressant posted:

God I love the Cake pack so much

The only way it could've been better is if it had Comfort Eagle on it.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
A Papa Roach pack now? Ugh, what is it with this constant stream of bro-dude rock packs? Ubisoft might as well start packaging this game with TapouT t-shirts.

At least they have some hits now and then. The Hendrix pack, for example. It'd be nice if they switched it up with things like a Motown pack, 70s soul/funk, blues, etc. I'm not anti-rock though - the Soundgarden pack was a nice release. :)

Edit: The Cake pack, too.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

TheBlackRoija posted:

:doh:

I swear that was the first thing I tried, but it turns out the spare battery in my case was actually a dead one that I left in there

You must be the guy I was hired to replace.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dolemite posted:

A Papa Roach pack now? Ugh, what is it with this constant stream of bro-dude rock packs? Ubisoft might as well start packaging this game with TapouT t-shirts.

At least they have some hits now and then. The Hendrix pack, for example. It'd be nice if they switched it up with things like a Motown pack, 70s soul/funk, blues, etc. I'm not anti-rock though - the Soundgarden pack was a nice release. :)

It just seems like they are on a kick for late 90s/early 00s grunge and buttrock here recently. Hopefully they get over it soon and start releasing some more variety in their band themed packs. I would love a Styx pack and am kind of annoyed that we only got one song of their so far. I would actually really enjoy it if we got a Gomez pack or something in that vein.

Edit: I wonder if they keep releasing the buttrock because that's what's getting the biggest sales? I could see (granted stupid) people who write off a pack like Tom Petty as boring dad poo poo and keep buying the angsty stuff.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 25, 2015

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dolemite posted:

I miss the surf pack and other cool off the wall stuff. Garbage like Papa Roach and other totally generic crap is tiring. Saves me money I guess.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I can't justify $11 a week every week so I'm happy they throw some turds in the mix

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

DeathSandwich posted:

Edit: I wonder if they keep releasing the buttrock because that's what's getting the biggest sales? I could see (granted stupid) people who write off a pack like Tom Petty as boring dad poo poo and keep buying the angsty stuff.

I'd say that's true judging by what a lot of people are choosing to make into cldc.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Snowy posted:

I'd say that's true judging by what a lot of people are choosing to make into cldc.

I'm sure that past sales, the most requested list, and the cdlc stuff is all used to decide what they want to release. Legal hurdles probably round out what makes the cut.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Buttrock practitioners are most open to licensing their lackluster music.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

unlawfulsoup posted:

I miss the surf pack and other cool off the wall stuff. Garbage like Papa Roach and other totally generic crap is tiring. Saves me money I guess.

We have nobody to blame but ourselves:

http://blog.ubi.com/rocksmith-2014-song-request/

That's what people are asking for. If we want cool stuff, we gotta beat out the apparent legions of people asking for the stuff that are on the top 40 list. My only complaint is that you have to select an artist and a song instead of a "just give me any loving dinosaur jr song you can get your hands on" option.

Also, I was totally gobsmacked when i realized there was no Neil Young. I don't know what his deal is - if he owns the rights to all his music but he strikes me as the kinda guy who wouldn't license it out.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

E-Money posted:

Also, I was totally gobsmacked when i realized there was no Neil Young. I don't know what his deal is - if he owns the rights to all his music but he strikes me as the kinda guy who wouldn't license it out.

Because Rocksmith tells you to set your audio output to 16-bit 48KHz

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Yeah, I know. :(

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

E-Money posted:

We have nobody to blame but ourselves:

http://blog.ubi.com/rocksmith-2014-song-request/

That's what people are asking for. If we want cool stuff, we gotta beat out the apparent legions of people asking for the stuff that are on the top 40 list. My only complaint is that you have to select an artist and a song instead of a "just give me any loving dinosaur jr song you can get your hands on" option.

On that list there's about 5 bands out of that top 40 most requested that for sure will almost certainly not license their music out (Beetles, Metallica, AC/DC, Stevie Ray, ZZ Top) and more than twice as many that already have at least 3 songs in game between built in songs and DLC (Foo fighters, Megadeth, Nirvana, RATM, Linkin park, BFMV, KISS, Muse, Aerosmith, Disturbed, Bon Jovi, ect). If it came to pass I would absolutely be down for some Led Zepplin or Chili Peppers or QOTSA though.

Edit: I'm fully aware that there is a Stevie Ray song currently up for sale, but that was a guest spot on an Albert King joint so I'm not sure if that call was up to the SRV estate to make.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The whole of Texas Flood was/is in Rock Band too, I don't think they're as averse to it as you may think.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

SRV and ZZ Top are no strangers to Guitar Hero and Rock Band...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Why did I buy any of this stupid DLC? Wires is the only song I need. Played it for the first time in months. Still loving great.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kaboobi posted:

SRV and ZZ Top are no strangers to Guitar Hero and Rock Band...

That was also back when there was a lot more money floating around in the plastic guitar game and they could afford the higher licensing costs that SRV and ZZ Top charge. I may be mistaken, but I don't think Rocksmith song packs sell nearly as well as Guitar Hero/Rock band in their heyday.

It's kind of why I think Clapton went away in the transition from Rocksmith 1 to 2014. They probably wanted more money than Ubisoft would comfortably want to pay.

Edit: While I would love to see both SRV and ZZ Top in game, I would list them as "Hopeful, but doubtful" in my book.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Clapton went exclusive to Bandfuse, he wasn't just too expensive.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Dewgy posted:

Clapton went exclusive to Bandfuse, he wasn't just too expensive.

Nah Clapton went from PowerGig to Rocksmith and then when it came time to import the songs he probably wanted to be paid the same amount again /speculation

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

toymach1ne posted:

Nah Clapton went from PowerGig to Rocksmith and then when it came time to import the songs he probably wanted to be paid the same amount again /speculation

Huh. I remembered him doing that from Rock Band but I could have sworn there was some other Clapton exclusivity thing that stopped the RS1 export.

Oh well, Sunshine was no fun to play anyway.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
They should do a Grateful Dead pack. China Cat - > Rider would be a hell of a thirty minute jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I'm going to pick this up tomorrow.

Are the games any good for practicing scales and poo poo? I play bass and sometimes it's hard to sit there and just drill scales over and over even though that's what I should be doing.

Living in an area with no music scene or musicians is loving terrible. I just wish I could find people to jam with. looks like the xbone will have to be my jam buddy