Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I need a second opinion here in the serious thread on China Eastern's baggage policy: http://us.ceair.com/muovc/main/en_US/Static_pages/Baggage.html

Flying economy from the US, it looks like two free bags, then the third/fourth/etc bag would be $165 each. Those bags can be up to 50 pounds. An overweight bag from 50-70 pounds costs $165.

So you could bring a third bag with 50 pounds for the same price as that 20 pounds of overweight on one of your free bags. Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sounds legit. What the hell are you transporting?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I haven't been back to the US in years, I'm bringing lots of stuff back with me.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Motorcycle parts and turtle burgers rite? My suitcases are always filled with books and candy. I recommend getting an airline membership card for smoother everything.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Literally just three bags of iPhone 6s.

I never saw the point of the programs if you don't fly much. At my current rate I'm flying back to the US once every four years and I'm on different airlines all the time, I grab whatever ticket's cheapest.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I don't fly enough to save significant miles but having an ANA card has been amazing for overweight luggage, random perks and priority service when travelling with babby. I'm sure my post history includes the time I paid $30 x 2 overweight suitcases instead of $100 each because I booked through ANA instead of United.
But China idk

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

china don't care

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Dumplings, Pig Feet, Grain Alcohol. 420 eat offal eeryday.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I know I'm late, but I couldn't not respond to the terrible maligning of hard sleeper trains. Sure, the top bunk is the size of a child's coffin (and smells like one), and sure the bottom bunk will 100% get stolen by an old person, who will then guilt the ticket dude into letting them stay, but once you've gotten used to booking middle bunks then all is well. Bring earplugs, good baijiu (to drink), bad baijiu (to share) and a sense of humour, and all will be well. I spent a few months wandering across China on hard sleepers, and never came to any serious harm.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Atopian posted:

I know I'm late, but I couldn't not respond to the terrible maligning of hard sleeper trains. Sure, the top bunk is the size of a child's coffin (and smells like one), and sure the bottom bunk will 100% get stolen by an old person, who will then guilt the ticket dude into letting them stay, but once you've gotten used to booking middle bunks then all is well. Bring earplugs, good baijiu (to drink), bad baijiu (to share) and a sense of humour, and all will be well. I spent a few months wandering across China on hard sleepers, and never came to any serious harm.

I personally don't mind taking the hard sleeper, it's usually a good time if it's not too long of a trip. During the holidays though, it's worth trying to avoid.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I literally cannot fit in a top sleeper :(

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jeoh posted:

I literally cannot fit in a top sleeper :(

:nederland:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

:nederland:

i was on the train from Chengdu to Panzhihua and my gf thought it'd be fine if we took top sleepers "because soft sleepers are too expensive"

i spent the entire night reading books in the moonlight on a goddamn fold-out chair

here's a lesson for goons: don't get a top hard sleeper

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
some of my best friends are chinese, and not to be racist, but chinese people are so cheap, i honestly don't understand how jewish people got stuck with that stereotype...probably because the west hadn't been exposed much to chinese people during the apex of anti-semitism

edit: fixed racism

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 24, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

One reason, maybe the main one, why Korea has no public trash cans is people would just haul all their garbage out and dump them into the public ones instead of paying 20 cents for the proper trash bag you have to get at the store.

There are so many little convenience things I get in China and the Chinese person helping me always has a very serious, endlessly repeated "this costs you 2 kuai a month, are you sure you want to pay this" conversation with me while it's happening.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

There is a chinese student mailing list here where chinese people buy and sell stuff. It's like the classifieds for stuff that most people would just throw away, but Chinese people will spend a week selling a portable phone from 1999 for $2. They post the ad, then someone calls them and asks about the specs of the phone such as the frequency, what kind of buttons it has, etc. The seller will actually entertain these questions about the $2 phone and check, answer, etc. Then they will say something like, "Well I live [on the other side of town], so I will pick it up sometime this weekend."

Instead of setting a time, they will just call again during the weekend and say, "Are you home, can I come get the phone?"

"I'm not home now, maybe in three hours you can call again."

They call again in three hours and hear the seller is now home. "Okay, I'm coming now."

Then they go there and, amazingly, will like inspect the phone. You'd think after all this work they'd just buy it, but they check it, make sure it's working, etc. If it's not a phone but instead an old CRT TV from 2001, they will at this point ask if there is a remote. If there is, but there are no batteries in it, "Can you give me some batteries?" etc.

If everything is to their satisfaction, they will buy it. Then the seller will start hawking other random items, "Do you want this lamp? How about this plastic stool that I use to squat in the kitchen to peel potatoes?"

I have a box of old routers from the early 00's and I just want to throw them away, but my wife insists that we have to sell them. I'm like, "We can sell them for $1 each," and she's like "One dollar? Are you kidding? We should ask for $20."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I think your wife might be my dad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This thread's getting a little racist guys, town it down.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I have a question about a Hong Kong movie I saw on a bus once. I'm reasonably sure it's Hong Kong because it looked like Hong Kong, and I'm reasonably sure it was shot in the late 1980's or early 90's, based on the film stock, fashion, and car designs. It reminded me a lot of a Chinese Buckaroo Banzai, and I would really like to see it again. Unfortunately neither my wife nor any of my Chinese friends have seen the movie, though I am sure it was reasonably popular at the time of release.

It's about a man and a boy who live together in a really cool house, and they drive a van. I'm not sure what they do, but they sleep in the same room - the man has a big bed, the boy has a small one. Or something. Anyway the man dreams about a virgin in some sort of frozen wasteland. And then later in a rainstorm the virgin appears - his dreams are real! There is lots of kung-fu but it is the crouching tiger style wire rig kung-fu, and the whole thing takes place in a modern/future setting mixed with mystical/epic elements and environments.

At some point I fell asleep. When I woke up the protagonist was fighting a Beijing Opera style villain with giant sleeves that fired whirlwinds. I think he got sucked into the villain, at some point, and shot out the other sleeve.

Also the protagonist was able to throw his sword and then run on top of the sword while it was flying through the air.

I really want to see this movie again - I can do some drawings if it would help me identify it. The effects style was all in-camera and very reminiscent of Wong Kar-Wai or Michel Gondry, though on a film stock that would date the movie at the very beginning of either director's career.

Help?

bad day fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 24, 2015

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Grand Fromage posted:

One reason, maybe the main one, why Korea has no public trash cans is people would just haul all their garbage out and dump them into the public ones instead of paying 20 cents for the proper trash bag you have to get at the store.

There are so many little convenience things I get in China and the Chinese person helping me always has a very serious, endlessly repeated "this costs you 2 kuai a month, are you sure you want to pay this" conversation with me while it's happening.

Actually it's because Korean "culture" is garbage and they're trying to get metaphorical.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

they never had a cultural revolution to enrich and celebrate their traditional culture, the best they could do was steal zongzi, qu yuan, and confucius from china

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I saw a VHS of one 90s kung fu movie called Zhu Warriors of the Magic Mountain. The villain used his eyebrows as weapons. I don't know if this is the same movie, but you should watch it anyway.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
So my 3 years in Shanghai as an ESL teacher/Senior Teacher finally came to an end, and I'm in the US for grad school. I'd love to return to China after graduation, and I'm wondering what the jobs tend to be for non-teacher expats in China and Hong Kong. Besides middle n upper management in the ESL industry.

I guess the odds of finding anything are really small, but I like to dream.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

HisMajestyBOB posted:

So my 3 years in Shanghai as an ESL teacher/Senior Teacher finally came to an end, and I'm in the US for grad school. I'd love to return to China after graduation, and I'm wondering what the jobs tend to be for non-teacher expats in China and Hong Kong. Besides middle n upper management in the ESL industry.

What are you going to grad school for? There's a decent amount of jobs in Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen for non esl-work, and plenty in other cities as well, but it kinda depends what you're going to school for.

MBA and engineer or cs degrees probably have the easiest time, followed by lawyers.

Hell, I know people who do Video game QA management in Shanghai, so there's plenty of work if you know where to look.

Also HK has a bazillion jobs.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

systran posted:

There is a chinese student mailing list here where chinese people buy and sell stuff. It's like the classifieds for stuff that most people would just throw away, but Chinese people will spend a week selling a portable phone from 1999 for $2. They post the ad, then someone calls them and asks about the specs of the phone such as the frequency, what kind of buttons it has, etc. The seller will actually entertain these questions about the $2 phone and check, answer, etc. Then they will say something like, "Well I live [on the other side of town], so I will pick it up sometime this weekend."

Instead of setting a time, they will just call again during the weekend and say, "Are you home, can I come get the phone?"

"I'm not home now, maybe in three hours you can call again."

They call again in three hours and hear the seller is now home. "Okay, I'm coming now."

Then they go there and, amazingly, will like inspect the phone. You'd think after all this work they'd just buy it, but they check it, make sure it's working, etc. If it's not a phone but instead an old CRT TV from 2001, they will at this point ask if there is a remote. If there is, but there are no batteries in it, "Can you give me some batteries?" etc.

If everything is to their satisfaction, they will buy it. Then the seller will start hawking other random items, "Do you want this lamp? How about this plastic stool that I use to squat in the kitchen to peel potatoes?"

I have a box of old routers from the early 00's and I just want to throw them away, but my wife insists that we have to sell them. I'm like, "We can sell them for $1 each," and she's like "One dollar? Are you kidding? We should ask for $20."

hahahahh

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
What's the status of gmail at the moment? When gmail gets blocked does that prevent incoming gmail from getting to Chinese addresses? Like, if I sent a message from my gmail to a baidu address, would it get through if gmail was down?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Let us English posted:

What's the status of gmail at the moment? When gmail gets blocked does that prevent incoming gmail from getting to Chinese addresses? Like, if I sent a message from my gmail to a baidu address, would it get through if gmail was down?

AFAIK this is not a problem, it's just accessing google services within China that is.

To test I just sent an email from my gmail account to my qq email and it worked fine.

You could set up a baidu or qq or whatever (hotmail/outlook and yahoo work here fine, though, so they might be better options) and set up forwarding no problem.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Whoa super lurker

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Hey, Choons. Does anyone know about Edukeys? Specifically the PGA program? http://www.edukeys.net

I was contacted by someone today from this group offering me a chance at a "preliminary questionnaire". The website actually looks like a website (not the broken images and random text that comprise Korean and Japanese corporate websites) and the only review I can find on Dave's or similar said that it was a great job except for the housing, so I'm getting an okay feeling from it, but if anyone has more information, I'd be very grateful.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Housing provided by the school is also a mixed bag, so that one makes sense. Another thing to mention is that the schools that could theoretically afford this program are commonly way out in the middle of nowhere, so you could end up in "Hangzhou" or "Chengdu" where you're actually 1-2 hours out of the city.

They have a full Chinese website and make it clear you need a real Z Visa though, so it seems they're at least on the up and up.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Magna Kaser posted:

Housing provided by the school is also a mixed bag, so that one makes sense. Another thing to mention is that the schools that could theoretically afford this program are commonly way out in the middle of nowhere, so you could end up in "Hangzhou" or "Chengdu" where you're actually 1-2 hours out of the city.

They have a full Chinese website and make it clear you need a real Z Visa though, so it seems they're at least on the up and up.

They were in Shuangliu near the airport, but may have changed in the past year. Is that a livable area?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Let us English posted:

They were in Shuangliu near the airport, but may have changed in the past year. Is that a livable area?

Yeah it's actually pretty nice as far as I can tell. It's full of new-ish housing developments and is right between the actual city and the newer developments around the software park in the south. To the city center it's like 45min by bus, 20 minutes with a cab if the traffic isn't bad.

The subway line which connects that part of town with the rest of the city is supposedly opening this year too, so that would help.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

Yeah it's actually pretty nice as far as I can tell. It's full of new-ish housing developments and is right between the actual city and the newer developments around the software park in the south. To the city center it's like 45min by bus, 20 minutes with a cab if the traffic isn't bad.

The subway line which connects that part of town with the rest of the city is supposedly opening this year too, so that would help.

As long as it's within the highway which mysteriously isn't a fourth ring road. It's Bat Country outside of that and no taxis, though maybe that area is different if there's a software park.

Though being slightly isolated wouldn't be as bad for you guys.

Edit: Poking around that looks a lot like my job. And my university is on the affiliation links at the bottom, yay.

Also:

"Students in China are incredibly eager to learn from and consistently respectful of foreign teachers, as teaching is considered a noble profession throughout the country. Most students are curious about other cultures but always maintain a certain level of politeness."

:lol:

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 27, 2015

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Grand Fromage posted:

As long as it's within the highway which mysteriously isn't a fourth ring road. It's Bat Country outside of that and no taxis, though maybe that area is different if there's a software park.

Though being slightly isolated wouldn't be as bad for you guys.

Edit: Poking around that looks a lot like my job. And my university is on the affiliation links at the bottom, yay.

Also:

"Students in China are incredibly eager to learn from and consistently respectful of foreign teachers, as teaching is considered a noble profession throughout the country. Most students are curious about other cultures but always maintain a certain level of politeness."

:lol:

Yeah, I thought that they might be connected! It looks really similar. As long as I don't end up on some lovely college campus- one summer living in a Chinese dorm was enough for me. Coin-op aircon, pfffffffffft.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

bringmyfishback posted:

Yeah, I thought that they might be connected! It looks really similar. As long as I don't end up on some lovely college campus- one summer living in a Chinese dorm was enough for me. Coin-op aircon, pfffffffffft.

There's no connection but the program sounds similar. The worst it could be is that getting into town is a pain in the rear end, but I don't know anything about that area.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's not a tutorial center but pay is decent and everything works:

Hong Kong NET program.

Useless Name
May 3, 2005

bringmyfishback posted:

Hey, Choons. Does anyone know about Edukeys? Specifically the PGA program? http://www.edukeys.net

Edukeys is an educational group that runs international schools in China. The quality will depend school to school, but Edukeys will try to maintain some standards at the schools, (like send someone once a semester to audit marking and make sure there's no wide spread cheating going on).

Their curriculum seems to be a modified version of the global assessment certificate, it doesn't compared to AP or IB but there are still a few real universities that will accept GAC courses for credit.

I would definitely recommend Edukeys over any training centre but as far as 'Chinese international schools' go they are near the bottom. I've never worked for them but do know the GAC curriculum. Also coastal cities tend to have better programs than the major inland cities.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i think this is useful information for my friends in the china thread: http://kiteplans.info/2014/10/09/how-to-alipay-account-sign-up-for-foreigners-in-china-2014/

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:

bringmyfishback posted:

Never seen that, how much was it and for how long? Could you put in more money if you wanted it to keep going while you were sleeping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

put a few mao into the AC, then open the window: cooling off chinese style