Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

There is a Bluetooth microphone setup you can get for the GoPro: http://www.sena.com/product/cameras/bluetoothaudiopackforgopro/

That'd be your best bet, so that you can keep the camera sealed while still being able to have un-sealed audio input.

Cool, I'll look into that. Hopefully I can get one before SoWo. If I do you can definitely borrow it if we meet up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
About two days after purchasing the Audi, the dash blanked.

Tonight, after some quick troubleshooting, I got it back! :woop:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Trying to see if I can make it up to Southern Worthsee in May with the Audi.

http://www.southernworthersee.com/

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
You're a terrible person. I'm going to go see a manual 91 Audi 200 turbo in a few hours.

I hope you're happy!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

You're a terrible person. I'm going to go see a manual 91 Audi 200 turbo in a few hours.

I hope you're happy!

The only thing that matters: 10v or 20v? I'm guessing 10v CIS right off.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

CommieGIR posted:

The only thing that matters: 10v or 20v? I'm guessing 10v CIS right off.

20v!

Overheats but doesn't smoke supposedly. Definitely needs the expansion tank.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

20v!

Overheats but doesn't smoke supposedly. Definitely needs the expansion tank.

Easy fix, I'd take it a step further and do the headgasket too, replace the pressed paper one with either a metal from RockAuto or copper from 034

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

gently caress Craigslist.

"Bro I'm at school until 3, let's meet at 3:30."

Go to bank, pull out cash.

Get a call at 3:30, "bro I just sold it."
:fuckoff:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mafoose posted:

Turn up anyway, light cigar, slap across the face with wad of cash like you're challenging to a duel, leave.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

When I picked up the 90, the guy was trying to sell it right from under me. I had cash, and the other guy was trying to talk him into holding it for a couple days.

I just showed him the cash and said if he wanted to wait, that was fine. He chose to take the cash.

Wise man.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 24, 2015

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Is that a Swedish plate I see?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Computer viking posted:

Is that a Swedish plate I see?

Nah, D

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Blower decided screeching at me was a good way to get attention.

Was easier to get to than I thought it would be:

Had to pull the passenger side of the dash a way just an inch to get the fan past the vent piping, but it was out and in in less than 30 minutes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So now that I have garage space, and while waiting on the wiring harness for the 3B turbo to arrive, decided to tear down the old 4k 2.2l motor.

Random Honda and Yamaha Bikes

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

How many miles were on that motor, and how do the cylinder walls look?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

No. 6 posted:

How many miles were on that motor, and how do the cylinder walls look?

240k, cylinder walls still have some cross hatching even. Not bad for an old and underpowered little motor.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Those old Audi blocks could run forever it seems. poo poo power, but longevity well beyond the life of the car itself.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

No. 6 posted:

Those old Audi blocks could run forever it seems. poo poo power, but longevity well beyond the life of the car itself.

Well I'm taking it over to the machine shop to have the oil valley drilled for sprayers and we'll be setting this up as a spare block for the 20v.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, with the recent cold snap I've discovered that I don't like having a broken thermostat, and I recent discovered the plastic radiator endcap was cracking.

Change time!

The bay was coated in leaking pentosin, while I was in there I cleaned it out and fixed the various leaks, mostly old hoses that had become brittle and shaped over time, cut and reclamp.

Thermostat comes out!

The spring on the old thermostat was EXTREMELY weak, the new one didn't have the weep hole on it, but no big deal.

Reassembled and tested good, heats up great and is cooling like a charm!

Going to send off the two old radiators to be rebuilt and refurbished for spares.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 22, 2015

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

CommieGIR posted:

Going to send off the two old radiators to be rebuilt and refurbished for spares.

What's this cost? I've never tried that, just tossed them for junk. :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Now that spring has lurched into motion, I got a better recording of the exhaust.

Audi 90 Quattro 20v Straightpipe: http://youtu.be/Wbsu5cjU5nw

Larrymer posted:

What's this cost? I've never tried that, just tossed them for junk. :(

It various depending on how bad it is, but I've had them rebuilt for as little as $100 to replace both end caps and steam bathe it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 11, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
New and upsized tires!

Was stock 185/60/14, slightly enlarged to 185/65/14.

I was trying to replace the front rotors, as they are well ridged and out of spec, but ordered the wrong size for the B3, the RIGHT size for the 4k Quattro, so I didn't have to return them.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm still in for a quattro when you get one printed!

Maybe you could do a inline 5 too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I'm still in for a quattro when you get one printed!

Maybe you could do a inline 5 too.

Gladly! I'm working out the design issue right now and doing some trial prints.

I'd have to find a model of the inline 5, I don't really have the skills to duplicate the design myself.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

1983 Audi Ur quattro for $12.5k near Phoenix - http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4936356744.html

Because you need more Audi's in your life.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

1983 Audi Ur quattro for $12.5k near Phoenix - http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4936356744.html

Because you need more Audi's in your life.

drat the luck!

Today while driving home, I notice the temp gauge was spiking a bit and got a bit worried, thankfully as I got out of traffic I noticed that while moving the temp would drop, so I automatically assumed the fan.

Sure enough, I got home and the measly crimped connectors the PO had used to replace the OEM connector had stripped and corroded themselves out. Nothing some new connectors, solder, and heatshrink couldn't clean up.

Much better.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I've successfully used solder in limited automotive applications, but have been told that it's always a bad idea. I personally don't see how a twisted pair of strand wire fused with solder and then taped/heat shrieked together could fail, but there you have it.

Also anything over $10k for that UrQ was way too much. The interior is shot,to,poo poo and I suspect the paint/body aren't far behind.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

No. 6 posted:

I've successfully used solder in limited automotive applications, but have been told that it's always a bad idea. I personally don't see how a twisted pair of strand wire fused with solder and then taped/heat shrieked together could fail, but there you have it.

I don't know where they'd get that idea, as solder is used during the cars construction, so why would it suddenly be bad to use it in a repair, and I don't entirely trust crimp only repairs.

No. 6 posted:

Also anything over $10k for that UrQ was way too much. The interior is shot,to,poo poo and I suspect the paint/body aren't far behind.

Yeah, its not for me, I'd rather not pay a premium on something I could make myself out of a 4k Quattro or find in another incarnation for far less and in better shape.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Organized the parts:

My dad gave me a bunch of his air tools as a move in gift, partially because he never used them:

My tool box is getting crowded.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, I thought my parts room was obsessive-compulsive, but you've got a lot more stuff going on. Don't change!

Sweet air tools, don't forget to oil them if they haven't been used in a long time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sweet air tools, don't forget to oil them if they haven't been used in a long time.

Oiled each and every one, and replaced a couple fittings because they leaked air like a sieve.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Between your thread and pictures of fart pipes rocco I am having a really hard time not diving into an early ninties/eighties VAG vehicle. Your Audi looks great.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

SouthsideSaint posted:

Between your thread and pictures of fart pipes rocco I am having a really hard time not diving into an early ninties/eighties VAG vehicle. Your Audi looks great.

Right? Every time I look at this thread the other tab is scouring craigslist for a turbo five cylinder.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
^^ I honestly troll craigslist for a diesel rabbit all the time. So many shitbox VWs that people want too much for.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SouthsideSaint posted:

Hold true man. Its worth it. (That and I'll supply you with parts)

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Hold true man. Its worth it. (That and I'll supply you with parts)

I know its not the same audi as yours. But why would this v8 option be a bad idea?
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/4922945136.html Its not a terrible price and I could sell my accord for that much or more .

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SouthsideSaint posted:

I know its not the same audi as yours. But why would this v8 option be a bad idea?
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/4922945136.html Its not a terrible price and I could sell my accord for that much or more .

I think the big limiting points are the auto slushbox, which cuts the power significantly. The Audi V8 is not a terrible motor, but I'd hold out for a manual.

Hey, look what is in Chicago!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4961653169.html

:getin:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 4, 2015

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
That thing would be nice a wife and three kids would limit the fun I ever really had in that thing. I should be limiting myself to four or five cylinders. Im really torn between an audi 80 that's for sale locally or adding another jeep to the stable.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SouthsideSaint posted:

That thing would be nice a wife and three kids would limit the fun I ever really had in that thing. I should be limiting myself to four or five cylinders. Im really torn between an audi 80 that's for sale locally or adding another jeep to the stable.

Yeah, at least the 90 has the bonus of being a Sedan with 5 seats, that was the big limiting factor in my choosing between the 4000/90 and the Coupe GT/Coupe Quattro. Having four doors and extra seating space for children was the deciding factor.

Look at it this way: When I was a kid, my dad bought an MX-5 to putter around in, we were a four kid family, so the Miata was already a poor choice. At least by getting the 90/4000, I leave plenty of family space should our main family car fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
^ my thoughts exactly
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/4957717326.html This is the 80 ive been admiring. Its really clean and doesn't look like turd with the tints. Also it has no rust for a Midwestern car.

• Locked thread