Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Animal
Apr 8, 2003

That cockpit gives me anxiety just looking at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Heavy flak, Sir!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Dead Reckoning posted:

Has anyone in here worked as a Part 65 flight dispatcher? I'm going to be looking for a new job soon, and my previous work experience lets me go directly to the exam phase. I'm looking for general info like starting salary, how willing you have to be to move, typical hours, etc.

I'm sure you've seen it, but this seemed like a good FAQ: http://www.airlinedispatcher.com/website/archive/faq.htm

Seems like the standard airline gig... become a slave for a year or two, then make decent income.

Kawachi
Sep 16, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

Any Australians in here? Anyone that's got some insight into aviation in Oz?

Aussie here currently working GA. What questions do you need answering?

Kawachi fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 12, 2015

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Kawachi posted:

Aussie here currently working GA. What questions do you need answering?

Tony Montana posted:

Hi :) So where did you train? How much did it cost you? How long did it take you? Any insights into if you did it again, how to do it better? What's it like trying to get a job flying in Australia? Could we put together a bit of a primer on flying in Oz like the great OP these guys have written for the US? Thanks mate

If you can talk about the paths available to us too, like is the normal progression private, instruments, etc.

I'm a guy in his 30s and I've always wanted to do this. I've got the means now to put myself through flight school but I want to talk to some Aussie pilots about what it's really like.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Tony Montana posted:

If you can talk about the paths available to us too, like is the normal progression private, instruments, etc.

I'm a guy in his 30s and I've always wanted to do this. I've got the means now to put myself through flight school but I want to talk to some Aussie pilots about what it's really like.

I don't know if it would be of interest, or how much it works for Aussies vs Kiwis, but I trained at CTC in NZ as a Brit but they also have a "local" type program which I think is both Aussies and Kiwis from Ab Initio to Right Hand Seat based in Hamilton.

It may or may not be for you as this career lifestyle is not for all but all I can say is ask around.

http://www.ctcwings.com/jetstar/au_abinitio

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I bet the FAA is going to screw us this year in the 3rd class medical exemption. My grandfather in law, retired Colonel USAF B-52s has been waiting about 2 years to fly his mooney.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/3708

The link shows the progress of the general aviation pilot protection act GAPPA. If your rep isn't on the co sponsor list, give them a call or email and ask them to support it.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Captain Apollo posted:

I bet the FAA is going to screw us this year in the 3rd class medical exemption. My grandfather in law, retired Colonel USAF B-52s has been waiting about 2 years to fly his mooney.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/3708

The link shows the progress of the general aviation pilot protection act GAPPA. If your rep isn't on the co sponsor list, give them a call or email and ask them to support it.

On my current medication, the FAA prefers if I had depression instead of OCD (at least, it would be easier with the former according to off-the-record conversations with a few AMEs). I really hope they don't gently caress this one up...

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

xaarman posted:

I'm sure you've seen it, but this seemed like a good FAQ: http://www.airlinedispatcher.com/website/archive/faq.htm

Seems like the standard airline gig... become a slave for a year or two, then make decent income.

Yeah, I've seen most of the stuff that can be easily googled. I wanted to talk to someone actually in the business.

Kawachi
Sep 16, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

Age is never a barrier to getting into the game! I finished up an IT degree at uni before I decided to jump ship and pursue flying. Once I flew a plane for the first time on a trial flight I just knew it was exactly what I was meant to do. I haven't looked back since :)

To be honest you really have to ask yourself how much you want it. Happy to slog it out to earn minimum wage for a while after blowing 80k? Or prefer to fly on weekends for fun?

The industry seems to be in a big slump at the moment. Bugger all jobs going for an excess of pilots. During the previous year we had over 50 pilots hanging out in the area for a handful of entry level jobs. Unlike a traditional job you really have to relocate to centres like Darwin, Cairns, Kununurra or Broome, get yourself some sort of work and hang out until you get something. Be warned though, people have waited 2 years to get their first gig. Even then you'll often find the first job is casually based and you'll need a 2nd job to survive.

With things being slow at the top end of the game there's not very much vertical movement in the industry at the moment. A number of regional airlines closed recently and many highly experienced guys are hanging onto what ever work they can.

I'm not too sure about the instructing scene but it does look a little easier to land work there at the moment going off the job adverts.

Training wise I'd look to finish up everything before looking for that first job in charter. That being CPL + NVFR + MECIR and perhaps your ATPL subjects. Even though your first job most probably won't be IFR you want to keep those renewals ticking over for the next job. In hindsight I would have done that instead of just going the CPL + NVFR route. The flip side is I most likely wouldn't have my current job if I did the additional training. If you're looking at the instructing route I'd delay the instrument rating until you get can an instructing job to take advantage of staff rates.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

OP update please!

Thailand/Australia - ASEL/AMEL Commercial IR NVFR CFI SF34 B737-800/900ER - Airlines

Yes, I am now type rated on the 737NG :dance:

The sim is awesome, switch off all the FDs and automatics and fly it like a big Cessna on power and attitude. Can't wait to try the real thing starting from next week!

Tony Montana posted:

I'm Australian. Did my PPL and CPL in Sydney, instrument rating in Melbourne, did shark spotting in a 182 for a while then instructed airline cadets for two years before heading overseas and moving into airlines.

Kawachi has answered pretty much everything, but yeah, just to reinforce - the aviation career path in Australia is a lot tougher than almost everywhere else bar America. It is crazy expensive to learn to fly in Australia - figure on $300 per hour average, and you'll need around 200 hours before you'll be able to get your first job... you do the maths. Don't expect to touch anything with two engines until you have >1000 hours, and you'll be lucky if you get into an airline with 2500. On top of that, GA pay is absolutely loving awful - I took a 70% paycut from my old career to become a pilot, and it sucked even more than I thought it would. You'll also need to be prepared to forego any decent relationships or ability to live where you *want* to live - if you want fast progression you'll be living out in some backwards shithole in the desert for a year or more, or if you go the instructor route you'll be in a city but stuck flying crappy 172s and Warriors maybe forever, like some of the instructors I've met. Additionally, as Kawachi said, the industry in Australia sucks right now and has for a few years (although it appears there's starting to be a tiny bit of movement - Virgin Australia just started hiring a few SOs and FOs, and movement at the top end of the industry naturally leads to movement at the bottom end).

However! On the flip side and so I don't sound too gloom and doom (and the following isn't really Australia specific at all), flying as a career is awesome. Highly highly rewarding but you have to love it and be willing to sacrifice a lot to achieve it.

brendanwor fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 20, 2015

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I did spin recovery training today, that was interesting.

It's a really odd feeling looking up at the ground.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

e.pilot posted:

I did spin recovery training today, that was interesting.

It's a really odd feeling looking up at the ground.

First time I ever spun was in a Cessna 140 and that was weird as hell. Also probably illegal :ssh:

I guess the T-45 almost always spins inverted, so that'll be exciting if it ever happens.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Thank you Aussie pilots!

After much discussion with various people, my girlfriend put it like this. She is a professional diver and said 'most people don't make a decision about doing a Open Water course (first step) based on what an eventual career as a technical or commercial diver a decade or more down the road is going to be like'. Basically, go and do it as a hobby and get to Private and enjoy the ride.. but don't give up your day job and really don't count too much on ever making it into something beyond that.

If it happens and opportunities present themselves, great, but don't get too wrapped up in that at this stage.

Here is a video from a 747 American pilot answering specifically the question of 'Can I be an airline pilot if I start flight training in my 30's'. Can Americans tell me if this seems reasonable to them? Can the couple of Aussies tell me if our scene is like what this pilot is describing for the US?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJk9Skxyi84

I actually got in an argument with someone about this guy.. she was saying he sounds burnt out and old.. don't let his negativity impact your dream. I was saying he sounds pretty professional and I think it just makes the point of how realistically difficult and draining the whole thing is. What do you guys make of Captain Scott?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Tony Montana posted:

I actually got in an argument with someone about this guy.. she was saying he sounds burnt out and old.. don't let his negativity impact your dream. I was saying he sounds pretty professional and I think it just makes the point of how realistically difficult and draining the whole thing is. What do you guys make of Captain Scott?

He's not nearly burnt out and old. That guy is downright chipper compared to a lot of people out there. He is telling you the absolute, neutral truth. At least how the truth is in the USA. If you get into this with an all rainbows and unicorns attitude of pure positivity, you WILL slam into reality and its not gonna be pretty. Its those people who end up super bitter. If you know what you are getting into, you have the means to make it happen, and (IMO crucial) you love to travel and you will make good use of your travel benefits, then it is a career path that is well worth it. It has been for me, and I am still a regional FO. Just this month I came back from an awesome week in Argentina, business class flight there and back. But now I am back to reserve because one of our bases closed and my relative in base seniority tanked. So what will I do? I will pack my bags and move to Atlanta, where I can hold a line. And I can fly to more world destinations from Atlanta anyways, so I am looking forward to it. If you can't have this kind of flexibility, this career can be miserable. I don't know how it is in Australia, but thats life here in the USA.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

Thank you Aussie pilots!

After much discussion with various people, my girlfriend put it like this. She is a professional diver and said 'most people don't make a decision about doing a Open Water course (first step) based on what an eventual career as a technical or commercial diver a decade or more down the road is going to be like'. Basically, go and do it as a hobby and get to Private and enjoy the ride.. but don't give up your day job and really don't count too much on ever making it into something beyond that.

If it happens and opportunities present themselves, great, but don't get too wrapped up in that at this stage.

Here is a video from a 747 American pilot answering specifically the question of 'Can I be an airline pilot if I start flight training in my 30's'. Can Americans tell me if this seems reasonable to them? Can the couple of Aussies tell me if our scene is like what this pilot is describing for the US?

Yeah, it's pretty similar really. Becoming a commercial pilot tends to be something that happens organically through love of what you do, rather than a logical career choice as such (I started out only wanting my PPL so I could fly around during the day, and now I'm on the 737).

Overall what that pilot talks about in terms of high hour requirements, lack of guarantees of jobs, low pay etc., all is the same in Australia also. Being positive and motivated about what you're doing is important but realising the reality of how it's going to be is crucial too, and that video makes it clear that it's a tough journey, and even when you 'make it' as an airline pilot, it doesn't suddenly start being easy - you've still got recurrency checks, medicals and so on to worry about. As for whether it's possible to be an airline pilot if you start in your 30s, yes, definitely - my first instructor who started flying in his mid 30s is now a Captain on the Q400 with Qantaslink.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks guys.

Kawachi
Sep 16, 2006

brendanwor posted:

Thailand/Australia - ASEL/AMEL Commercial IR NVFR CFI SF34 B737-800/900ER - Airlines

Great work! Haven't seen any updates from you in a while and it's good to hear it's going well!

Tony Montana posted:

Thanks guys.

No worries at all. I didn't mean to sound all negative in my original post. Just wanted to make sure you didn't get into the game with rose coloured glasses.

If you have any more questions, more than happy to answer them for you!

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

brendanwor posted:

OP update please!

Updated! Congrats!
(Thanks for formatting it properly for me)

Also:
As for me I just finished PC12/47 /45 training!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

AWSEFT posted:

As for me I just finished PC12/47 /45 training!

I'm a big fan of those planes. Much bigger than you'd expect a single engine Tprop to be. I've observed them working at all sorts of speeds in the terminal environment. Some pilots whizz into the pattern at 200kts and dump everything out on a high base to final turn, looking like they're pointing waaay down on short final, hanging on the flaps. Other times I've seen them doing 60kts over the ground on 5 mile straight in ILS final. Seems like there are a variety of ways you can manage your flight profile in those things.

Always a gentle round out and flare, with a soft touch and a landing roll of less than 1,000ft. Maybe our local pilatus pilots are just badass/chronically lightly loaded.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
There was a late sixties Piper Cherokee Arrow that made an emergency landing on highway 54 about two miles west of the airport I train at, Havilland Kansas.

I got the chance to see the plane, take some pics and get the story.

Dude and his mechanic buddy fly to Kansas city from Cali to buy said airplane. Plans gets bought, guys leave for Cali that night.
The engine had a brand new jug you see, and from what I heard it had not been test flown after the work was done.

About three hours into the flight, the piston seized in the brand new jug. The rod pulled out of the bottom of the piston and then the engine ate itself.
He was at 8500 feet, engine out at night.

Nearest on his GPS didn't give him SN63, which he might have made, it gave KPTT, 13 miles away. So he set it down on the first flat place he saw, the highway. Both guys walked away.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Anyone in private aviation? I design/engineer custom private jet interiors (used to do head of state wide bodies now I just do business jets). From talking to pilots who come through I hear being a private pilot sucks. Is this true?

My company will chip in $1500 towards a PPL but $1500 is only a drop in the bucket towards the full price and I don't know if I'd ever use it.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Anyone in private aviation? I design/engineer custom private jet interiors (used to do head of state wide bodies now I just do business jets). From talking to pilots who come through I hear being a private pilot sucks. Is this true?

My company will chip in $1500 towards a PPL but $1500 is only a drop in the bucket towards the full price and I don't know if I'd ever use it.

I have several friends that fly private jets and they're much happier after leaving the airlines, and flying much cooler planes. $1500 towards PPL isn't much, but it's better than nothing if you were planning on doing it anyway.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Yeah, I've got a few friends that fly private jets eg Hawker 800XP, Citation etc. Love what they do - they get a lot more variety of destinations than airline pilots, and often get to stay in nicer places for overnights. Newer equipment too. On the downside, on call 24/7 and some rough as hell shifts... been awake all day, then suddenly called out to fly a 4 hour sector at 1am? No thanks.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I work at a huge maintenance facility that also functions as an FBO and our pilot's lounge looks pretty swanky. It's got big huge recliners, a big TV, and all sorts of toiletries for free stocked in the bathroom.

I'm currently working on a corporate jet and they sent us their pilot so he could have some input on where we install stuff in the cockpit, that must be nice for him.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Well it's almost that time to start sending out resumes and fill out an airlineapps. I've still been doing survey work and it's really picked up. I've flown about 150 hours in the last month and with summer windows coming it should stay pretty constant. I'm at about 800 and figure I'll be working here until January and that should put me at about 1500. How long do the typical classes take before getting typed and your ATP? I'm trying to figure out about what the latest class date I could get in would be before the written expires

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
In my case, I started ground school in early January, and finished the sims late February or early March.

Depending on which airline you go to, training may take significantly longer due to training backlogs, since I've heard of new hires at Skywest sitting for 4-6 weeks between ground school and starting sims due to a lack of simulator availability.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

azflyboy posted:

In my case, I started ground school in early January, and finished the sims late February or early March.

Depending on which airline you go to, training may take significantly longer due to training backlogs, since I've heard of new hires at Skywest sitting for 4-6 weeks between ground school and starting sims due to a lack of simulator availability.

I was going to post that this wasn't the case anymore, but my sim partner dropped out so now I'm looking at an extra 2 weeks and having to travel to ATL. So yeah, 4 weeks is what we're still seeing here. At least I'm not a November hire, those guys were waiting up to two months between ground and sim.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
In the event you're stuck 4 weeks or 2 months in between ground and sim, is the company at least still paying you?

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

I'm a big fan of those planes. Much bigger than you'd expect a single engine Tprop to be. I've observed them working at all sorts of speeds in the terminal environment. Some pilots whizz into the pattern at 200kts and dump everything out on a high base to final turn, looking like they're pointing waaay down on short final, hanging on the flaps. Other times I've seen them doing 60kts over the ground on 5 mile straight in ILS final. Seems like there are a variety of ways you can manage your flight profile in those things.

Always a gentle round out and flare, with a soft touch and a landing roll of less than 1,000ft. Maybe our local pilatus pilots are just badass/chronically lightly loaded.

Nope that sounds about right. Short fields are nothing to this thing. Although, airframe icing limits the flaps to 15 which significantly increases landing distance (and a boot failure means a zero flap landing requiring almost 8000 feet of runway).

The biggest complaint I've heard is that it is TOO capable.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Rickety Cricket posted:

In the event you're stuck 4 weeks or 2 months in between ground and sim, is the company at least still paying you?

Yes, at least they're supposed to. It's probably why some people weren't upset they had to spend 3 weeks between ground school and SIM :ssh:

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
For OP (as I don't totally understand the format)

EASA ATPL B757/767 + IR, A320 + IR, Senior First Officer, Also still keep my SEP valid

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

hjp766 posted:

For OP (as I don't totally understand the format)

EASA ATPL B757/767 + IR, A320 + IR, Senior First Officer, Also still keep my SEP valid

Something like this....
Name = Location - Level (ATP/COMMERCIAL) AMEL/ASEL (Airplane Multi/Single Engine), IR (Instrument Rating), CFI/CFII/MEI (US Instructor stuff (Single/Instrument/Multi Instructor)), Type ratings

You have to have a separate IR on each aircraft? Also, in the US an ATP implies IR. Let me know how all those things you posted fall into this and I'll be happy to add you =D

Edit: I can also add airline FO if you'd like. I have no idea what an SEP is...... Single Engine Pilot?

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

AWSEFT posted:

Something like this....
Name = Location - Level (ATP/COMMERCIAL) AMEL/ASEL (Airplane Multi/Single Engine), IR (Instrument Rating), CFI/CFII/MEI (US Instructor stuff (Single/Instrument/Multi Instructor)), Type ratings

You have to have a separate IR on each aircraft? Also, in the US an ATP implies IR. Let me know how all those things you posted fall into this and I'll be happy to add you =D

Edit: I can also add airline FO if you'd like. I have no idea what an SEP is...... Single Engine Pilot?

hjp766 - Europe (UK/DE) - EASA ATPL B757/767 IR, A320 IR, SEP (Airline SFO)

To clarify a bit... here the IR is imbedded in the type rating as part of the licence check. Under EU rules the IR on the type rating is a "Multi Pilot IR" So whereas I am allowed to fly on instruments and do LVPs and all that good stuff in a jet under euro rules as I no longer have a "Single Pilot IR" I can no longer operate my light aircraft (the correctly identified Single Engine Piston rating) under IFR...

The reason each type has a separate IR is the fact that the FMCs don't actually program the same way and three channel coupling is achieved differently (and then the CAA can charge more fees).

EASA removed the old embedded IR privileges to the best of my and my colleagues knowledge... If anyone can actually understand what I know as LASORS but is now called CAP804 please let me know...

Also for my sins whilst in the cruise I can be made to occupy the left seat hence the "S"...

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 25, 2015

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

hjp766 posted:

To clarify a bit... here the IR is imbedded in the type rating as part of the licence check. Under EU rules the IR on the type rating is a "Multi Pilot IR" So whereas I am allowed to fly on instruments and do LVPs and all that good stuff in a jet under euro rules as I no longer have a "Single Pilot IR" I can no longer operate my light aircraft (the correctly identified Single Engine Piston rating) under IFR...

The reason each type has a separate IR is the fact that the FMCs don't actually program the same way and three channel coupling is achieved differently (and then the CAA can charge more fees).

The rules are kinda similar in most countries, no? Australia recently changed to FAA-style part 61 rules requiring on-type reviews, so even though I did an ILS, VOR>circling and single engine handflown visual approach in the 737 sim last week, I can't go and hop into a 172 for a few circuits (let alone any kind of instrument approach) now since I haven't touched a light aircraft in almost two years. :rolleyes:

Pretty cool that you've got Airbus and Boeing ratings, btw. Difficult transition?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Cross post from ATC thread because i dont have a E145 POH handy.
What burns more fuel? Doing 220kts on a 40 minute flight and holding for 30 minutes while I fit you into the flow for ONE OF THE BUSIEST AIRPORTS ON THE EAST COAST, or just loving doing 300 like I asked you to?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

kmcormick9 posted:

What burns more fuel? Doing 220kts on a 40 minute flight and holding for 30 minutes while I fit you into the flow for ONE OF THE BUSIEST AIRPORTS ON THE EAST COAST, or just loving doing 300 like I asked you to?

lol the first one I'd imagine

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

kmcormick9 posted:

Sorry, my tuppence is now here... http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608176&pagenumber=21#post442031016

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

hjp766 posted:

hjp766 - Europe (UK/DE) - EASA ATPL B757/767 IR, A320 IR, SEP (Airline SFO)

EASA removed the old embedded IR privileges to the best of my and my colleagues knowledge... If anyone can actually understand what I know as LASORS but is now called CAP804 please let me know...

Also for my sins whilst in the cruise I can be made to occupy the left seat hence the "S"...

Added

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Any ATC goons contribute to fixes like these?

http://ifitsfreegivemethree.com/2015/02/entertaining-statements-from-air-traffic-arrival-fix-names/

• Locked thread