Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hey, dashcam thread, I'm toying with the idea of hardwiring my GPS plus getting a Mobius, and hardwiring that as well. What does everybody use as a 12V->5V converter? I'm thinking one or two of these:

Also, how long can USB cables be before there's a voltage drop that becomes a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

USB cables can be about 16 feet long. I use a generic cig lighter -> USB adapter for my Mobius and it works fine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bolind posted:

Also, how long can USB cables be before there's a voltage drop that becomes a problem?

If I remember right, six feet is the maximum specified by the standard. But in some cases (usually game controllers) twice that has been fine. But in other cases, especially using suspect low quality cables, 6 inches is too long.

So basically the only way to know if it's too long is to try and see what happens.

Or test the cable with a meter I guess.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I bought a 12V-5V converter with a fuse tap but my fusebox won't accept it because of space. Right now I just have the cable running from the rearview mirror to the little cubby about my dash, which has a power outlet in it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

ijustam posted:

Hypothetical: To those who have a dash cam and got in an accident: Did you just get details and forward the video to your insurance? What about police reports? I have a Mobi so it doesn't have a screen so I wouldn't be able to just up and show an officer what happened.

My dashcam hasn't helped me at all yet, but I've helped two others, both in hit-and-runs.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

xzzy posted:

If I remember right, six feet is the maximum specified by the standard. But in some cases (usually game controllers) twice that has been fine. But in other cases, especially using suspect low quality cables, 6 inches is too long.

So basically the only way to know if it's too long is to try and see what happens.

Or test the cable with a meter I guess.

The standard matters if you're trying to push data over the cable. It's way less of a concern if you're just trying to get 5V up to a camera or GPS.

I use one a 12V-5V USB converter along with a fuse tap to power my mobius over a 12ft cable. The converter is usually around $5 on ebay or Amazon. Pick up a crimp-on ring terminal for the ground wire of the 12V converter so you can ground it to a convenient bolt somewhere near the fuse box.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

murphle posted:

The standard matters if you're trying to push data over the cable. It's way less of a concern if you're just trying to get 5V up to a camera or GPS.

Tell that to my raspberry pi. :v:

Getting that poor thing a clean source of power was quite a chore. They probably shouldn't have use the usb spec for that.

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
I still haven't gotten around to hardwiring my Mobius up yet, but I think I am going to have a space and length issue; my forward fusebox is up against the side of my driver's door, and I doubt there's a lot of overhead space in there. And then in order to hide the cable, it would have to run down under the driver's side floormat, over the console, under the passenger floormat, up the passenger A pillar, and over to the rearview mirror. I'm thinking voltage drop hopefully won't be a problem...but I really doubt my fusebox has the space for the vertically-standing fuse tap.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Why not run it up the driver side a pillar?

It doesn't need to be on the fusebox. Just any switched power. Tapping into existing wires is easy enough.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I've got a G1W., and I cant use it because the drat thing is just too 'noisy'

When I power it up it causes loads of interference and I lose all the radio signal on my car stereo (an aftermarket Kenwood DAB radio)

I've tried it with the included lovely cigarette lighter adaptor (I loose all signal) and an expensive hardwired car-micro USB adaptor (loose most signal).
I then added an 'interference supressor' in the power feed to my stereo. With the hardwaire cable I still lose everything except the strongest radio stations when moving.

I realised that I use my tomtom a lot off a cigarette lighter adaptor with no interference issues and it is also micro usb. Tried this adaptor on the G1W and I loose all my radio stations as soon as it powers up, so I have concluded that it is mainly the G1W itself not the power supply!

Is there anything I can do to fix this? If i buy a different camera might I be able to use it? or do they all do this?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

oxbrain posted:

Why not run it up the driver side a pillar?

It doesn't need to be on the fusebox. Just any switched power. Tapping into existing wires is easy enough.

I would love to hardwire it but any time I modify anything in my car I wind up breaking it :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

murphle posted:

Voltage drop is still a concern. Assuming a good quality cable with 24AWG copper conductors, 15 feet long, and 5.5 volts (the specification maximum) at the source, and a 1A draw, you'll see 4.73 volts at the far end. That's low, but within the expected range that USB devices are supposed to handle.

However, use a cheaper cable with 28AWG wires and a linear regulator putting out exactly 5 volts at the source, and your device will see 3.05 volts -- not even enough to power up a low-power microcontroller.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It's a bit dumb that all the dashcams use USB power rather than 12V like every single radar detector, GPS, and other accessory power device.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My dash cam runs on 12V

but my GPS runs on a mini USB

Owned?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

~Coxy posted:

It's a bit dumb that all the dashcams use USB power rather than 12V like every single radar detector, GPS, and other accessory power device.

Not really. It pretty much all comes down to cost, particularly in the "Chinese knockoffs" that are $30. The dash cam "needs" USB anyways to allow you to hook it up to a computer to dump the files. Yes technically you can remove the SD card, but that requires a SD card reader and just hooking up the device to the computer has been an industry standard since digital cameras first came out some 20 years ago. So, might as well make the USB hardware on the dash cam do double duty which saves the cost of putting in another jack, and shipping the device with a 12v cable. Also the hardware in the dashcam uses 5v, so by using the USB standard, the is no need to put in the hardware to regulate a 12v input down to 5v. Finally, USB hardware is quite cheap, particularly since cell phones standardized on it.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

~Coxy posted:

My TPMS is wacky, it uses a mini-USB cable that carries 12V. I was very confused when I tried to test it on my workbench before installing it that normal USB 5V didn't do anything. The power cable is cigarette-lighter barrel on one and and mini-USB on the other.

Can anyone recommend to link to a multi-channel auto DVR that isn't $500? I can find single-channel ones on DX for about $70 but I want at least two channels, preferably 3 or 4. Then, I could wire in my own cameras and have a very stealthy system.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Tomarse posted:

When I power it up it causes loads of interference and I lose all the radio signal on my car stereo (an aftermarket Kenwood DAB radio)

I've tried it with the included lovely cigarette lighter adaptor (I loose all signal) and an expensive hardwired car-micro USB adaptor (loose most signal).
I then added an 'interference supressor' in the power feed to my stereo. With the hardwaire cable I still lose everything except the strongest radio stations when moving.

I realised that I use my tomtom a lot off a cigarette lighter adaptor with no interference issues and it is also micro usb. Tried this adaptor on the G1W and I loose all my radio stations as soon as it powers up, so I have concluded that it is mainly the G1W itself not the power supply!

Is there anything I can do to fix this? If i buy a different camera might I be able to use it? or do they all do this?

Try wrapping your power cable around a ferrite choke at each end.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
My G1W is currently sitting in the passenger seat because it's a piece of poo poo that no longer records, and constantly turns itself on and off whenever it feels like it.

Glad I didn't spend a lot on it. Think I'm gonna spring for a Mobius or something better this time around.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Time for you guys to invest in the Mini 080x models. Year and a half on two of them with zero issues.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tomarse posted:

There's something wrong with your camera. Return it.

Bovril Delight posted:

Time for you guys to invest in the Mini 080x models. Year and a half on two of them with zero issues.

That's good to hear. I had the Mini 0801 and it sucked. Maybe they've got their firmware in order now.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

CharlesM posted:

There's something wrong with your camera. Return it

Despite the radio noise it works perfectly recording wise! Will drop them an email.

Will also try and find some ferrite rings.

The 'interference suppressor' I installed on the stereo feed the other day is clearly mainly a capacitor. It's now confusing me every time I turn the ignition off and my stereo stays on for 5 seconds afterwards.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Tomarse posted:

Despite the radio noise it works perfectly recording wise! Will drop them an email.

Will also try and find some ferrite rings.

The 'interference suppressor' I installed on the stereo feed the other day is clearly mainly a capacitor. It's now confusing me every time I turn the ignition off and my stereo stays on for 5 seconds afterwards.

After a road trip with the family my Mazda5 developed a problem where the radio would stay on after the car was shut off and the keys were removed. It took me a not-inconsiderable period of time to discover that the inverter we use for the kids electronics had remained plugged into the cigarette adapter in the back and without the electronics plugged into it to keep sucking the power down, it had plenty of power stored in capacitance to backfeed the car's radio.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I've been loving with a Mini 0805 I got from foxoffers.

It seems like a legit 0805.

When I first got it after a few hours it would only light up red when plugged into power and not turn on otherwise. After a few days its working again.

I've got it hard wired in my car and it works great. Night image quality is awesome. Light looks natural. Has a display like I wanted. Basically perfect.

Sometimes it doesnt stop recording and shut off when I key off the car though. That is rather annoying. I also don't feel like I have a complete data set of my trips. I only quickly reviewed the data on the card, but it seemed like some stuff was missing.

I only need it to record the event I'm running this weekend, but after this, and a quirky Pyle action cam, I am tired of low rent devices and firmware. I'm really wanting something more consistent and I can throw the other poo poo in the rear window or whatever.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Caught an accident on my dashcam - not one involving any kind of vehicle though. Can only just see it for a second in the video but watch the dog,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYFB0iL_WGw

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Scion xA can't hold it's lane, then chooses the wrong (inside) lane for the turn, immediately changes to outside lane after second turn is complete. I get so tired of driving behind these idiots, and they're everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGJXlIjI6Cs

Haven't caught much lately so this is the best I've got to give. I like to take the g1w cam down every now and again and check it's recordings. Been having some problems with corrupted files lately. Seems like it's corrupting them on short trips. Maybe the battery is failing and it's not able to save the files correctly without enough time to charge?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

trouser chili posted:

Scion xA can't hold it's lane, then chooses the wrong (inside) lane for the turn, immediately changes to outside lane after second turn is complete. I get so tired of driving behind these idiots

This video was so mild I fell asleep.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Sagebrush posted:

This video was so mild I fell asleep.

Sorry, I know it's boring. I got nothing else lately.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Who were you listening to? I like that chillout groove type music.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
That's Pogo, song is called "The Trouble".

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Scion xA can't hold it's lane, then chooses the wrong (inside) lane for the turn, immediately changes to outside lane after second turn is complete. I get so tired of driving behind these idiots, and they're everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGJXlIjI6Cs

This annoys me to no end. Here in Minneapolis, there are a lot of double turn lanes and the majority of people always choose the inside lane, even if their next turn is immediately after the intersection in the "other" lane, so then they try to fight to get across traffic, when they could have just turned from the correct lane to begin with. I can't tell you how many times I've almost hit or been hit by someone doing this. Why is it so hard for people to plan their route more than one turn at a time?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

DropShadow posted:

This annoys me to no end. Here in Minneapolis, there are a lot of double turn lanes and the majority of people always choose the inside lane, even if their next turn is immediately after the intersection in the "other" lane, so then they try to fight to get across traffic, when they could have just turned from the correct lane to begin with. I can't tell you how many times I've almost hit or been hit by someone doing this. Why is it so hard for people to plan their route more than one turn at a time?

It's most likely they're not thinking at all, but there are other possibilities.

"Sure, the sign says two lanes turn, but will they really? Better get in the inside lane to make sure."

or

"The sign says two lanes turn, but some dumbass in the inside lane is going to want to go straight, not realize both lanes turn, change lanes and then run into me in the outside lane because he thinks my lane doesn't turn. Better get in the inside lane to make sure."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least in the Chicago region, they're really loving bad about marking double exit lanes on the highways. Several of them create a new lane marked EXIT ONLY that everyone rushes to cram in to, while the old rightmost lane is also an exit lane. The signs never indicate this so the only way to know is through experience.

Then to make it worse there's one spot where you instantly have to exit on the left which creates another mad scramble in the other direction.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ran into this genius tonight. When I passed her later she was clutching the steering wheel like a chupmunk, face about an inch away from the top of the wheel trying to make a turn. I'm sure they heard the airhorn but decided to keep on trucking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43HliIZ-OYU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Bovril Delight posted:

Ran into this genius tonight. When I passed her later she was clutching the steering wheel like a chupmunk, face about an inch away from the top of the wheel trying to make a turn. I'm sure they heard the airhorn but decided to keep on trucking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43HliIZ-OYU

The ole "signal and turn instantly" maneuver.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PaganGoatPants posted:

Them signaling is actually unexpected, usually they just try to dive for the smallest gap with no signal.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

DropShadow posted:

In Denver it's because everyone plans their route, so if you choose the lane you need you have to sit through three lights, but if you choose the other lane you can get through now, and then cram your way in as soon as you're around the corner. JUST SAVED A MINUTE ON MY COMMUTE, MANNERS BE DAMNED.

I only do that at intersections where I know there will be ample room to merge afterwards. Like this odd intersection, going north on Clinton - two lanes turn left onto Arapahoe, then two immediately exit north for the freeway. Half the people turning from the right lane will merge over to the far right lane on Arapahoe, so you can turn from the left lane and still merge over right to get on the freeway. Only occasionally do you have to shove your way in, and I feel bad when I do it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5946642,-104.8827992,377m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Never feel bad about anything you do to survive around horrible Denver drivers. Only place I lived where I was literally run off the road while trying to merge onto the freeway.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I have so many terrible videos to show you guys, but my dashcam is installed upside down. How can I rotate the videos by 180° without it taking forever as it seems to go with Movie Maker ?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I use vlc to rotate videos. It is pretty quick and you can do batches.

http://www.wintips.org/how-to-rotate-and-save-a-video-using-vlc-media-player/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

PaganGoatPants posted:

I'm fairly certain that there is a group of drivers who thinks the signal's sole purpose is to unlock the steering wheel, so that it can turn. Obviously, they only turn it on as they're turning the wheel - there's no point in doing it before that :rolleyes: