Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

The Taint Reaper posted:

If your Cat can use bombs, pick them over anything else. I thought the Cha-cha cat mask bomb ability was useless, but this new cat bomb ability in 4U. :stare:

Cat bombs are good for monsters that are larger than Lagombi in size. If they're not, chances are your cat is going to bomb you repeatedly (little fucker :argh:)

Wrath of Meow makes up for this when they flinch a monster and I get a plate from the tear drop though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Triarii posted:

You should try the trick where you put the kick/special button on Start, and then use that for instant hassle-free guard points. It's so effective it almost feels like cheating.

Edit: That is, if you have a New 3DS where the start button is in easy reach. But since you've said you've bought consoles for this game...

I did buy a N3DS for this, but I already owned a OG, and an XL. That's beside the point though. I haven't looked into the button remapping at all, but you say kick/special? is a guard point? Good to know. I will look into this tonight.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

The Moon Monster posted:

Does affinity affect elemental/status damage? What about gunlance shelling?

Affinity only affects raw, so no effect on shells, elements, or status.
In fact, gunlance shelling damage is completely determined by the level of Shelling on the gun, and can only be increased with the food and armor skills that boost shelling. Affinity, Sharpness, and Attack increases are all ignored.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Awesome! posted:

:hf: forgetting to turn off cat traps for zinogre crew

Do cat traps count against the monsters developing resistance? It sort of seems like a not great ability at first blush.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Potsticker posted:

Do cat traps count against the monsters developing resistance? It sort of seems like a not great ability at first blush.

They do in fact, always carry both kinds of traps if you're letting your cattes do traps.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Your cat getting a monster with like 1 shock trap should not make it particularly more difficult to capture later

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:
What's a good gun Lance armor. I've got gravios for guard +2 for lance... any better?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tigrex is a fun fight but jesus his "spin around on one arm" attack is really really dumb, it's like they thought "Well, he's really aggressive, but he has no AOE thing to get people off of him... oh, I know! Let's give him a really unnatural spin attack. Problem solved."

When will my cats start latching onto the faces of Monsters? I remember them doing it in the demo but I have yet to see it here.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

Tigrex is a fun fight but jesus his "spin around on one arm" attack is really really dumb, it's like they thought "Well, he's really aggressive, but he has no AOE thing to get people off of him... oh, I know! Let's give him a really unnatural spin attack. Problem solved."

When will my cats start latching onto the faces of Monsters? I remember them doing it in the demo but I have yet to see it here.

That's a combo skill for cats. And yeah that move is annoying but its got a super long tell

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sire Oblivion posted:

You need a cat with Felyne F-Bomb as their dual ability assigned as your second cat. Their other options are Puuurtuoso (heals and increases max HP) and Rath of Meow (Gives them a cat tank to shoot poo poo with).

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Affinity does effect Status and Element

With the new Critical Element and Critical Status abilities in Monster Hunter 4U on Nintendo 3DS! Get yours today!

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Zore posted:

You need a cat with Felyne F-Bomb as their dual ability assigned as your second cat. Their other options are Puuurtuoso (heals and increases max HP) and Rath of Meow (Gives them a cat tank to shoot poo poo with).

Cat tank is the best sorry if you disagree :colbert:

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Speaking on cats I don't want my main cat to have Puuurtuoso how do I change that

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Glowku posted:

Speaking on cats I don't want my main cat to have Puuurtuoso how do I change that

It is determined by your second cat entirely. Pick one with Rath of Meow.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

btw do all healing cats have purrtuoso or just the 6 i have

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Zore posted:

It is determined by your second cat entirely. Pick one with Rath of Meow.

I meant more when I'm hunting with one friend and bring my cat. Won't it always be Puuurtuoso

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Seregios is so fun and cool. I look forward to future subspecies of that fucker

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Glowku posted:

I meant more when I'm hunting with one friend and bring my cat. Won't it always be Puuurtuoso

do two main cats from different people even do team up attacks? i dont think ive seen that

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Awesome! posted:

btw do all healing cats have purrtuoso or just the 6 i have

I have healing cattes with Rath and Bomb. Just double checked for sure.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Awesome! posted:

do two main cats from different people even do team up attacks? i dont think ive seen that

Yeah constantly. It's nice

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Awesome! posted:

Yeah, I played with one other person and for some reason they did rath of meow. It was really surprising and awesome.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Seregios is so fun and cool. I look forward to future subspecies of that fucker

Get your but ready for apex

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

On the subject of palico abilities: everyone has seen the F-bomb where they grab onto a monster's face, but one of my cats has the ability "W-bomb" which has an identical description. What's up with that? Why's it got a different name if it's the same ability?

I haven't actually seen used yet, so I don't know if there really is a difference in actual game mechanics that the description isn't letting on to.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Potsticker posted:

I have healing cattes with Rath and Bomb. Just double checked for sure.

grr so in addition to needing like 20 harvest quests to grind out the healing cats i didnt even get good ones :mad:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Glowku posted:

No, its still set by whatever you have the second cat too. The host's cat determines which skill they use, so if they're always using Puuurtuoso your friend is hosting and has lovely taste in secondary cats.

Colapops posted:

On the subject of palico abilities: everyone has seen the F-bomb where they grab onto a monster's face, but one of my cats has the ability "W-bomb" which has an identical description. What's up with that? Why's it got a different name if it's the same ability?

I haven't actually seen used yet, so I don't know if there really is a difference in actual game mechanics that the description isn't letting on to.

Cats you get in High Rank can have skills that affect their special abilities. In your case you got one who adds water element to his attacks.

There's a whole bunch of these and you can get stuff like Rath of Revenge (tank that triggers the tank again immediately if interrupted), Felyne- D=Bomb (dragon element) etc, etc.

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 25, 2015

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Zore posted:

No, its still set by whatever you have the second cat too. The host's cat determines which skill they use, so if they're always using Puuurtuoso your friend is hosting and has lovely taste in secondary cats.

Cats you get in High Rank can have skills that affect their special abilities. In your case you got one who adds water element to his attacks.

There's a whole bunch of these and you can get stuff like Rath of Revenge (tank that triggers the tank again immediately if interrupted), Felyne- D=Bomb (dragon element) etc, etc.

Gotcha thanks!

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Zore posted:

Oh, okay. So it's just Felyne F-Bomb but it does additional water damage. That's neat. The cat in question is in fact from high rank so that explains that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Glowku posted:

That's a combo skill for cats. And yeah that move is annoying but its got a super long tell

It's telegraphed and easy to block/dodge, but it just looks bad. I think that's where I have a problem, in a game with really good animations that all feel weighted and "natural" it's just really off.

Zore posted:

Welp, time to get new cats.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

It's telegraphed and easy to block/dodge, but it just looks bad. I think that's where I have a problem, in a game with really good animations that all feel weighted and "natural" it's just really off.

Welp, time to get new cats.

He's always had that move though so I don't know what to tell you. It looks way better when it's enraged

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Just fought my first Irritating Lightning Horse. When it was charged up, all my attacks bounced off of everything but its head. Is that just because I was at green sharpness, or do you really just have to wait that phase out if you can't safely hit the head?

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Boo TBH that the Mario and Luigi palico sets outclass everything else. Might as well just have the dumb Mario cat following you around by default if yr gonna do that, get rid of the other options and the mini game, save space on my card

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Thoom posted:

Just fought my first Irritating Lightning Horse. When it was charged up, all my attacks bounced off of everything but its head. Is that just because I was at green sharpness, or do you really just have to wait that phase out if you can't safely hit the head?

Dumb Idiot Lightningfucker Horse has always been bouncy as poo poo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Space Hamlet posted:

Boo TBH that the Mario and Luigi palico sets outclass everything else. Might as well just have the dumb Mario cat following you around by default if yr gonna do that

They only do until you hit High Rank/the end of Low Rank. Once you hit Gore Magala stuff for your Palicoes it starts outclassing the Mario/Luigi stuff. And once you hit High Rank there's versions of every outfit that open up that are better.

Probably the biggest issue with the Mario/Luigi suits is that they're some of the few Palico suits you can't reasonably use all game. If you like the look of any of the others, its easy to get higher tier versions of them. They're permanently stuck at the end of LR stats-wise.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
So I created my first character, and I logged on to the gift box and downloaded the nice pack they sent for us.

Shortly afterwards I realized I would rather have a male character and restarted, overwriting the file. I went to download the gift from the box, but, alas, there was nothing there.

I'm screwed aren't I?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Space Hamlet posted:

Boo TBH that the Mario and Luigi palico sets outclass everything else. Might as well just have the dumb Mario cat following you around by default if yr gonna do that, get rid of the other options and the mini game, save space on my card

After a certain point they stop being so overpowered/useful. In fact I've seen the opposite complaint too, that some people had gotten the set after it had already outlived its usefulness because of where they were in the game. :v:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
E; oops

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there any way to farm earth crystals that doesn't suck? High end quests shower you with ancient shards so I have like 4 worn weapons and enough earth crystals to almost make 1 of them.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

pnumoman posted:

There are two versions of the burst, ultra burst that uses all your phials and any overcharge in one shot, and the super burst which keeps your overcharge and uses only one phial. Press Back + X during the drawback for a super, R to cancel out and overcharge your shield, or press nothing to do an ultra burst.

EDIT: Also, watch the gaijin hunter video for the charge blade. It's a very complex weapon with tons of nuance.
CB clicked for me when I finally accepted that it's not really a complex weapon, just somewhat complex controls.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Oh my god the S Magala Plate drop rates :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

Oh my god the S Magala Plate drop rates :cripes:

Wow it's funny you say that because I spent 2 hunts getting plates from tail carves when I just needed a tail :downs:

• Locked thread