Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
iPad. It happens with vines as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Hmm, not sure. I'll add it to the list.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I love awful app!

But here's what happened today. Never had this problem before.

I was reading a thread in the morning. I hit new reply and started typing something up. Then I decided it could wait until later and I cancel the reply and go to work. When I get back home I go back to the thread and make a new reply and start typing. Then I decide again to cancel the reply because I'm a doofus, but when I hit cancel nothing happened. I couldn't cancel. I was stuck in reply composer. Tried 'killing' the app; nothing. Tried power cycling the phone; nothing. It was still stuck when I opened the app back up. I realized that I could hit preview and that worked, but hitting post would make the posting animation but the screen would stay on the preview. My post may have been recorded, but it's hard to say where for sure because I noticed then that the thread title at the top of the screen was different than the thread I was in when I hit the reply button! (Although both the thread I was in and the thread named at the top of the composer are bookmarked and I browse both of them frequently)

My solution was to uninstall and reinstall the app.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I also have the "video sound sometimes keeps playing after going back to the thread" bug, it's not only Youtube because I had it happen on a Kickstarter video as well. iPad Mini 2 with the latest updates.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

pokeyman posted:

Hmm, not sure. I'll add it to the list.

This happens with soundcloud links too. On iPhone 6+

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

cancel don't cancel

I thought I added more protection against that particular scenario. Maybe in the next version. I'll make sure to double-check.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I also have the "video sound sometimes keeps playing after going back to the thread" bug, it's not only Youtube because I had it happen on a Kickstarter video as well. iPad Mini 2 with the latest updates.

Brain Curry posted:

This happens with soundcloud links too. On iPhone 6+

Good to know, I'll test those out too when I get to it.

:havlat: Brainstorming session :havlat:

quote:

Your app enables the display of user-generated content but does not have the required precautions in place.

Specifically, we noticed the app does not contain reporting mechanisms in which users are able to flag report [sic] objectionable content.

Awful 3.2 just got rejected a second time for this. I'm not really sure what to do. I'm not sure why this is suddenly a problem.

The Forums's "report" buttons only work for people with plat, which notably excludes the account I supply to App Review. So while I'm happy to implement reports, that probably doesn't solve the problem.

My next thought was to turn the "report" button into an "email a mod" button for non-plat users. But I'm not aware of any up-to-date list of mod emails, nor do I know whether every mod gets/publishes an email address. I can scrape the usernames of a forum's mods, but that doesn't include email addresses and PMs are also only for plat-havers.

So I'm stuck. Any bright ideas?

Any dumb ideas?

e: reduce histrionics

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 26, 2015

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

easiest is to pretend you're a mod and have all "reports" sent to you.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

pokeyman posted:

Any dumb ideas?

I kinda like working on Awful and don't want to abandon it.

Send fake report email to fake address. It's not like they can check to see it actually being acted upon.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
For non-plat users, make the report button spin a progress wheel for five seconds, then show a "Report successfully filed!" message.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I edited that post to tone it down a bit. I'm just tired of App Review weirdness.

withak posted:

For non-plat users, make the report button spin a progress wheel for five seconds, then show a "Report successfully filed!" message.

Gonna give this a go.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Should I buy plat for the test account?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Should I buy plat for the test account?

It's actually just as well that I have a non-plat account to test with.

As much as I feel bad being somewhat disingenuous, it's hardly the first time (TCC anyone?).

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pokeyman posted:

I thought I added more protection against that particular scenario. Maybe in the next version. I'll make sure to double-check.

Good to know, I'll test those out too when I get to it.

:havlat: Brainstorming session :havlat:

Awful 3.2 just got rejected a second time for this. I'm not really sure what to do. I'm not sure why this is suddenly a problem.

The Forums's "report" buttons only work for people with plat, which notably excludes the account I supply to App Review. So while I'm happy to implement reports, that probably doesn't solve the problem.

My next thought was to turn the "report" button into an "email a mod" button for non-plat users. But I'm not aware of any up-to-date list of mod emails, nor do I know whether every mod gets/publishes an email address. I can scrape the usernames of a forum's mods, but that doesn't include email addresses and PMs are also only for plat-havers.

So I'm stuck. Any bright ideas?

Any dumb ideas?

e: reduce histrionics

Just give the test account platinum and add a report button.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Alright, the world's shittiest reporting UI is in the latest beta. I'm very happy to improve the world's shittiest reporting UI in a future update.

I did test it out, it works, but the error checking might be a little lax.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

theadder posted:

Just hardwire the test account to have report and age checking functionality. Or like put some flag in the user account profile that activates that crap so your code is clean and looks like it works for everyone.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

Just hardwire the test account to have report and age checking functionality. Or like put some flag in the user account profile that activates that crap so your code is clean and looks like it works for everyone.

That's the kind of thing that gets you thrown off the App Store if you get caught, so I try to avoid those kinds of things. As handy as it would be.

Hopefully the resubmit works out. Every post has a report button now, regardless of whether you have plat. And Awful doesn't check real close to make sure your report made it to the mod queue.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

pokeyman posted:

That's the kind of thing that gets you thrown off the App Store if you get caught, so I try to avoid those kinds of things. As handy as it would be.

Hopefully the resubmit works out. Every post has a report button now, regardless of whether you have plat. And Awful doesn't check real close to make sure your report made it to the mod queue.

I was half joking and didn't realize they really look at that stuff. But then the other stuff they kind of give you plausible deniability.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Strong work Pokeyman!

Although I've noticed a new bug. I'm not mentioned in Acknowledgements and well I'm pretty great so it's a glaring oversight.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

I quite like the new report UI. Please make the iPad post UI like that also.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
The functionality that converts a YouTube link into an actual embedded video, is that an Awful function? Because it would be nice if it could handle the shortened YouTube links you get when you copy links from the iOS YouTube app.

(Example http://youtu.be/StlMdNcvCJo )

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Especially considering it's almost impossible to get the long form url on iOS.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

The functionality that converts a YouTube link into an actual embedded video, is that an Awful function? Because it would be nice if it could handle the shortened YouTube links you get when you copy links from the iOS YouTube app.

(Example http://youtu.be/StlMdNcvCJo )

I added a [video] item to the menu in I think 3.2 (which will come out once it passes review) which lets you paste in a copied url, and I just added youtu.be support to it yesterday so that'll come out in 3.3.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

pokeyman posted:

I added a [video] item to the menu in I think 3.2 (which will come out once it passes review) which lets you paste in a copied url, and I just added youtu.be support to it yesterday so that'll come out in 3.3.

Great, thanks!

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

pokeyman posted:

🙌

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Nah there's an FYAD flag thing that's already on the list, I just didn't actually write down what the hell it is.

It would be great if the app displayed flags when browsing, and allow quoting them like:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I seem to remember my username being highlighted in purple if it appeared outside of a quote in previous versions but now it does not. Was this option removed?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The inter-page transition pause is often annoying, so could the app preload the next page's data? I suspect, but am not sure, that most of the latency is from the lookup on the SA server so simply prefetching the raw post data should be a win. No need to render or otherwise process it if the assumption holds.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Doesn't it take basically the exact same amount of time (minus the time spent rendering the raw data) that it would take you to just load the next page in a browser? It's not like the forums natively support preloading the next page and if anything to me just continued scrolling in the app seems a lot quicker than clicking "next page" when I'm using a desktop.

It sounds like it would create possible unnecessary work on the servers, since there's no way to know whether the user intends to load the next page or not. "Not creating any extra workload for the servers" has been one of the mantras of the app's development, if I'm not mistaken. Plus it seems like it could screw up last-read markers, etc. Why make it more complicated when right now it literally works the same way the forums themselves work?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

If you add preloading please make it optional - I often only want to read 1 page at a time and not move my last-read marker, or i'm bandwidth limited and only want to read the page i already have cached.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Crime on a Dime posted:

It would be great if the app displayed flags when browsing, and allow quoting them like:

I'm still not getting it. Where do these flags usually appear? Where should they appear in the app? When I quote your post, I just see a timg] tag, is that how you quote flags?

I'm sorry to be so dense.

IllegallySober posted:

I seem to remember my username being highlighted in purple if it appeared outside of a quote in previous versions but now it does not. Was this option removed?

It was not removed, at least not intentionally. Let's test: IllegallySober pokeyman

v1ld posted:

The inter-page transition pause is often annoying, so could the app preload the next page's data? I suspect, but am not sure, that most of the latency is from the lookup on the SA server so simply prefetching the raw post data should be a win. No need to render or otherwise process it if the assumption holds.

Processing and rendering the data do take a noticeable amount of time, so it's not fair to place all the blame on the Forums. And I do want to make that part faster.

I'm against prefetching at the moment because it mucks with your last-read position.

That said, the idea's been floated to have Awful automatically update your last-read position when you leave the thread/app. Once that feature's in place, preloading pages becomes much more palatable to me. (Prefetching would still be optional in this hypothetical scenario.)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

It was not removed, at least not intentionally. Let's test: IllegallySober pokeyman

Worked that time. Weird. Thanks.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

theadder posted:

Chances are, then they would report something "objectionable" to the average soccer mom for being offensive to their sensibilities and not for being against the forum rules, and get the account banned for abusing the report feature.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

kode54 posted:

Chances are, then they would report something "objectionable" to the average soccer mom for being offensive to their sensibilities and not for being against the forum rules, and get the account banned for abusing the report feature.

I'd be interested to know if they actually test the feature or just want to see it there. They've only been getting strict with that rule recently, mostly because Secret was technically illegal in Brazil or something.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

I have a strange problem where the app continually reorders the thread listing in a distracting way.

If I have the following test like this:

Thread A [1]
Thread B [1]
Thread C [1]

If I read one of the threads the app invariably reorders the threads as the post is marked read. This isn't caused by the arrival of new posts since they all have 1 unread post.

Is it that the app makes an error in ordering the posts when it refreshes the thread listing, or does it misuse the downloaded post data when the thread is loaded?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ultramiraculous posted:

I'd be interested to know if they actually test the feature or just want to see it there. They've only been getting strict with that rule recently, mostly because Secret was technically illegal in Brazil or something.

I've noticed threads read and bookmarked and such by App Review. It's entirely conceivable that they would test reporting.

theadder posted:

I have a strange problem where the app continually reorders the thread listing in a distracting way.

If I have the following test like this:

Thread A [1]
Thread B [1]
Thread C [1]

If I read one of the threads the app invariably reorders the threads as the post is marked read. This isn't caused by the arrival of new posts since they all have 1 unread post.

Is it that the app makes an error in ordering the posts when it refreshes the thread listing, or does it misuse the downloaded post data when the thread is loaded?

Do you have the "sort unread threads first" setting turned on? If so, I'd expect that a thread going to zero unread posts would get moved.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

pokeyman posted:

I've noticed threads read and bookmarked and such by App Review. It's entirely conceivable that they would test reporting.

what threads do App Review like? are they browsing games? fyad? d&d?

...YOSPOS?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

what threads do App Review like? are they browsing games? fyad? d&d?

...YOSPOS?

Probably whatever they feel like. For my Windows app, they went into BYOB and would fail the app for vulgarity/nudity. After explaining the app is a message board viewer and that is user content, they let out through.

Apple is a bit more strict though.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pokeyman posted:

Do you have the "sort unread threads first" setting turned on? If so, I'd expect that a thread going to zero unread posts would get moved.

This is in the listing for YOSPOS and not the bookmark list. The setting says it only affects bookmarks.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just posting again about a slight visual tweak; in dark mode, the "new posts" number on unbookmarked but visited threads is pretty tricky to see if you're in a brightly lit environment (it's kind of dark blue against the dark grey background at the moment) and I was wondering if it could be brightened up a bit so it's easier to notice while scrolling down a list of threads in a forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
When I open images via long-press, it opens at the very top of the screen, under the "done" button (see below). If I pinch to zoom in and zoom back out, the image moves down to the correct position.

• Locked thread