Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

pointlessone posted:

Playing surf on anything in surf/seafoam green just plays better. It's like red making things faster. I'm pretty sure there's a law somewhere about that.

It's like playing ska on anything other than a cab yellow telecaster or a hacked up strat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
What is the secret to getting good at tremolo? It seems pretty fundamental for playing surf rock, right?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

lilljonas posted:

What is the secret to getting good at tremolo? It seems pretty fundamental for playing surf rock, right?

Tremolo picking or the effect using a whammy bar/trem bar?

For the picking it's like almost everything else on guitar: start slow and accurately and build up speed by practicing. Take a riff and start out at 120bpm for one repetition, then go to 130bpm then go to 140bpm and so on until you just can't do it. Though you'll gently caress up as you take it to higher bpm that's fine. It's a trick I learned from watching george kolias practicing some metal drumming. A pick like a jazz III helps a ton for tremolo picking, but it's mainly practice (also tons of reverb).

Some people like to anchor their palm on the bridge of their guitar, some people have their hand float, some people (like me) kinda anchor their hand by placing their pinky down kinda near the volume knob on a strat. Don't go for a straight up and down motion with the pick, hold it at kind of an angle and make a circular motion with it.

As to a riff you can do to practice that's not just you going up and down three notes at a time until you're bored as poo poo and quit guitar forever: the easiest will probably be the one from miserlou because it's all on one string. If you can't recognize the scale don't worry because it's a modification (major 7th instead of minor 7th) of a dominant phrygian scale (fifth mode of harmonic minor) which is an alien of a scale in compared to the pentatonic minor scale that most surf rock is in.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 24, 2015

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Tremolo picking or the effect using a whammy bar/trem bar?

For the picking it's like almost everything else on guitar: start slow and accurately and build up speed by practicing. Take a riff and start out at 120bpm for one repetition, then go to 130bpm then go to 140bpm and so on until you just can't do it. Though you'll gently caress up as you take it to higher bpm that's fine. It's a trick I learned from watching george kolias practicing some metal drumming. A pick like a jazz III helps a ton for tremolo picking, but it's mainly practice (also tons of reverb).

Some people like to anchor their palm on the bridge of their guitar, some people have their hand float, some people (like me) kinda anchor their hand by placing their pinky down kinda near the volume knob on a strat. Don't go for a straight up and down motion with the pick, hold it at kind of an angle and make a circular motion with it.

As to a riff you can do to practice that's not just you going up and down three notes at a time until you're bored as poo poo and quit guitar forever: the easiest will probably be the one from miserlou because it's all on one string. If you can't recognize the scale don't worry because it's a modification (major 7th instead of minor 7th) of a dominant phrygian scale (fifth mode of harmonic minor) which is an alien of a scale in compared to the pentatonic minor scale that most surf rock is in.

Cool, thanks. And yes, I meant tremolo picking. I've practiced it a bit, but I'm very slow and I just can't get a rhythm to it. It gets all jerky and easily get stuck on the strings with the pick.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

lilljonas posted:

Cool, thanks. And yes, I meant tremolo picking. I've practiced it a bit, but I'm very slow and I just can't get a rhythm to it. It gets all jerky and easily get stuck on the strings with the pick.

What picks are you using? You're probably having too much of the pick hit the strings so that's why it's getting caught like that. Part of why people love the jazz III is that the size forces you to choke up on the pick and only hit the string with a tiny bit of the pick. That also enables you to not have to move your hand so much, which means you can go faster without the fatigue.

So instead of saying "use these picks you probably won't like or else you can't play this style," try holding your pick more towards the middle so there's less pick in between your fingers and the strings. But don't choke up so much that you're accidentally touching the strings with your fingers like a pinch/artificial harmonic.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

40 OZ posted:

He said that he can't get a proper acoustic tone live. I can't tell if it is nutty perfectionism or if he is fishing for a signature model acoustic.

Little of column A, little of column B I think. He did a rig rundown video during his Oceania tour and he talks about his aversion to acoustic a bit toward the end. He mentioned that Fender and Harmony both fell through on a Billy Corgan signature acoustic but the way he phrases it makes it sound like it fell through due to his nutty perfectionism. When he's talking about his guitars he does play you also hear the phrase "Billy Corgan Signature" a lot though so who knows.

The pedal rundown section in the middle is kind of a hot mess of things, I guess when you play the old songs you need a poo poo ton of effects on hand. The fact that he also had all his old preamps custom modded and thrown in a rack to recreate his old albums sound is kind of neat though.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

What picks are you using? You're probably having too much of the pick hit the strings so that's why it's getting caught like that. Part of why people love the jazz III is that the size forces you to choke up on the pick and only hit the string with a tiny bit of the pick. That also enables you to not have to move your hand so much, which means you can go faster without the fatigue.

So instead of saying "use these picks you probably won't like or else you can't play this style," try holding your pick more towards the middle so there's less pick in between your fingers and the strings. But don't choke up so much that you're accidentally touching the strings with your fingers like a pinch/artificial harmonic.

I have a bunch of different Dunlop tortex and Fender nylon picks. I haven't seen Jazz III picks at the local shop, I'll have to take a closer look next time. But I'll try different holding positions, see if it works.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Destro85 posted:

I'm in love with surf green lately. All I want out of life is a surf green telecaster. Since I'll never be able to afford one, I'll have to settle with surf green shelves from ikea to hold my records :smith:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Slick-SL50-Aged-Surf-Green-Dual-Telecaster-Pickups_p_13638.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV840-Solid-Alder-DOUBLE-Bound-Body-Surf-Green-Rosewood-Fingerboard-_p_6235.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-820-Surf-Green-Rosewood-Fingerboard_p_1000.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-820-Surf-Green-Maple-Fingerboard_p_997.html

Okay, it's not Fender, but it'll do.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

relic'd gear makes me irrationally angry for some reason.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

lilljonas posted:

I have a bunch of different Dunlop tortex and Fender nylon picks. I haven't seen Jazz III picks at the local shop, I'll have to take a closer look next time. But I'll try different holding positions, see if it works.

I bought a pack of Jazz IIIs from Amazon and after using those for a bit I came to the conclusion that the Fender Nylons I was originally using kind of suck. They were so whoahuge that I was grabbing them by the far end of them unconsciously and wondering why I had such a hard time strumming chords. That and they warp and bend quickly and were kind of hard to grip after using them for a while (they get kind of slippery when sweaty) meant I was burning through them super quick.

I gave part of my Jazz III pack to my girlfriend and she said she hated it because of how close to the tip she had to hold it but she's sticking with it and while she still kind of hates using them, she also said the guitar sounds better when she uses them because she's not cutting so deep into the strings when she strums.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I usually agree but they do a drat good job on those Slick guitars. You're obviously not paying extra for it and it really does look like it just came outta somebody's garage. The unfinished ones just look... Old. It's kinda cool.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Is the fretwork better on the Slick guitars?

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

Welp payday is pretty soon...

I agree with relic'd gear, I think it looks stupid. But that one does look kinda awesome.

Thanks for the links!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So how good/bad are these XVs for something comparable in price? Looking at dis:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-JT100-Offset-Alder-Body-Alnico-JM90-Pickups-Vintage-Sunburst_p_2205.html

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rod Serling posted:

Bolie: You know, a fighter don't need a scrapbook, Henry. You want to know what he's done, where he's fought? You read it in his face. He's got the whole story cut into his flesh. St. Louis, 1949. Guy named Sailor Leavitt. A real fast boy. And this--Memorial Stadium. Syracuse, New York. Italian boy. Fought like Henry Armstrong. All hands and arms, just like a windmill on the wind. First time I ever got my nose broke twice in one fight. And move south, Henry. Miami, Florida. Boy got me up against the ring posts. He did this with his laces. Tired old man. Tired old man trying to catch a bus, and the bus has already gone. Left a couple of years ago. Arms are heavy, legs like rubber, short of wind, one eye almost gone. There I go, running down the street trying to catch that bus to glory.

That's what wear and damage on a guitar should be like.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

lilljonas posted:

Imagine you're jerking off and you got Parkinson's.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Or a better (worse?) way - if you ever played any button-bashing games, and you worked out that way of kinda tensing your finger so it vibrates (instead of actually tapping up and down), trem works the same way

If you want an actual beat-division picking rhythm it probably won't work so well, but if you just need a fast consistent drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr it'll float your boat

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm a big hypocrite because the way I learned how to tremolo pick was being a teenager in crust punk bands and just playing really really fast. Then when I got into actual metal I just focused it and developed the way I currently play. So I guess that counts as "practice makes perfect."

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Agreed. My favorite is the boutique builder where you pay more to have your guitar not-relic'd.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I used to hate on relic'd gear and still do when it comes to guitars most of the time but my antiquities are so cool that I absolutely see the appeal. Every time I look down at the aged poles I have to smile to myself. I even busted out the DSLR to take nice photos of the pups before I put them in. They look amazing. I can also understand it on necks since worn used necks are comfortable for many guitarists. So for me it can either be really stupid and lame or a very interesting labor of love that adds a certain flavor to a guitar. Has to be done right by someone who actually knows what a vintage guitar with years of play actually feels like.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If people want relic'd gear they should get it the right way by either having a guitar for a decade and having it naturally turn to poo poo, or just buy a guitar off craigslist for a quarter of the price.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
For the price? Very nice. Generally needs a setup and strings right away, but the pickups are a notch above the average, and the hardware is decent to good. Warning: Jazzmaster trems are jazzmaster trems.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Thanks to this thread by the end of the year jazzmasters will either be impossible to find and $3,000 for base models on eBay ... or basically free on Craigslist.

Not sure how the guitar economy works.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Is the JM the new tele on the Internet?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I can only hope, I want to pick one up cheap on craigslist next year.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I used to hate on relic'd gear and still do when it comes to guitars most of the time but my antiquities are so cool that I absolutely see the appeal. Every time I look down at the aged poles I have to smile to myself. I even busted out the DSLR to take nice photos of the pups before I put them in. They look amazing. I can also understand it on necks since worn used necks are comfortable for many guitarists. So for me it can either be really stupid and lame or a very interesting labor of love that adds a certain flavor to a guitar. Has to be done right by someone who actually knows what a vintage guitar with years of play actually feels like.

My mim '01 strat has badly tarnished metal pieces and the pole pieces on the magnets are really rusty. I get kind of annoyed everytime I look at it, but I am way too cheap or lazy to change them. Guitars getting natural wear just happens, fine. I just find the idea of paying large amounts of money for Fender to bang up your guitar for poser value really funny. My logic is that poo poo that is beat should cost less, not more. It is just something I mentally can't get past with guitars.

I am also relicing my CV50 because I accidentally kicked it off a stand and almost threw it down a staircase intentionally.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I thought JMs and Jags were like the guitar every band in San Francisco has

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

baka kaba posted:

I thought JMs and Jags were like the guitar every band in San Francisco has

yeah, i just like the longer trem bar. plus gotta play dat gaze

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
This is all gut feeling and anecdote, but I see a LOT of Telecasters and Les Pauls in Chicago. I probably know more people who play Danos or hollowbodies than I do Strats, or even random superstrat-type clones.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i will play superstrats til i die which is hopefully before i get old

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Bread Dragon posted:

This is all gut feeling and anecdote, but I see a LOT of Telecasters and Les Pauls in Chicago. I probably know more people who play Danos or hollowbodies than I do Strats, or even random superstrat-type clones.

It's all Epiphone Les Pauls and Fender Strats up here in Michigan, with a few scattered Ibanez. It's pretty barren up here.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

i will play superstrats til i die which is hopefully before i get old

All I need is my metalled out SG.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Also a good alternative because the ideal guitar is very thin bodied and loaded with nailbombs

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Between the 5420t and SGJ, all other guitars feel lackluster.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Realtalk is there ever a reason to get two hardtail HH solid-body guitars? Beyond caprice that is.. I can't think of one.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Southern Heel posted:

Realtalk is there ever a reason to get two hardtail HH solid-body guitars? Beyond caprice that is.. I can't think of one.

What does your heart tell you?

Serious answer:
Different scale lenghts, pickup switching options, to keep them in two different tunings, one's too fancy to bring out of the house, different color-schemes, set one of them up for playing slide.
Just off the top of my head.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
GAS isn't a logical institution

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Active pickups vs passives. Different tunings, lots of reasons.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JMs are the ultimate guitars. I'm honestly very annoyed that jazz guys hated them back in the day considering many of them were actually going for a brighter tone. The trem isn't going to be a sell to a purists but those tones and body shape are perfect. Oh well, their bizarre history actually worked out and lead to more experimentation than most iconic guitars.

unlawfulsoup posted:

My mim '01 strat has badly tarnished metal pieces and the pole pieces on the magnets are really rusty. I get kind of annoyed everytime I look at it, but I am way too cheap or lazy to change them. Guitars getting natural wear just happens, fine. I just find the idea of paying large amounts of money for Fender to bang up your guitar for poser value really funny. My logic is that poo poo that is beat should cost less, not more. It is just something I mentally can't get past with guitars.

I am also relicing my CV50 because I accidentally kicked it off a stand and almost threw it down a staircase intentionally.

I agree but most guys I've known who want relics honestly do it for the feel and that's an aspect I get. I've handled a few Fenders with that classic arm rest + neck wear and it feels really good. Super smooth and broken in like old shoes. No way I'd ever pay big bucks for a "new" guitar like that though. I'm happy anxiously awaiting wear on my own even though I take too good care of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Tax season's a bitch. Looks like I got a surf green maple neck headed to my house within 1-2 weeks. :getin: