Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Apollodorus posted:

RaspberryCommie - here is the list of "essentials + make you want more" I made for my students:

Normally I'm against people talking about lists and skipping episodes, but you've got one great list. Hollow Pursuits is simply a fun fantastic episode. I SHALL SPEAK WITH MY SWORD SUHHHH (sir)

-- since I'm at the top of the page:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I want someone to apply an anti shake filter to every episode of TNG.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tighclops posted:

I want someone to apply an anti shake filter to every episode of TNG.

But add some boing sound effects whenever people throw themselves around the set.

Now I wonder if anybody ever accidentally hurt themselves doing that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Roadie posted:

But add some boing sound effects whenever people throw themselves around the set.

Wil Wheaton supposedly told a tale about something like that at a convention:

quote:

They were all on the bridge shooting a scene where they are getting bonked by the Borg. They were preparing to do the biggest "shake" they had ever done, they were calling it an "eleven." Picard was supposed to fall down. Wil was like No he's the captain, he can't fall down! And Stewart didn't like it either. Anyway, the director yelled action and everyone started shaking, Frakes falls out of his seat, Wil crashes into his console, Spiner is jerking around, etc. Stewart apparently decides to have some fun and totally spazzes out, crashing into everything, falling down, getting back up, crashing into something else, spinning around, crashing into yet something else, falling again, getting back up, etc etc, until finally he crashes into a wall that falls down! Suddenly everyone is hushed because they all know it's gonna be at least a four thousand dollar delay. So Wil quickly improvises with "Captain, we have a hull breach!"

EDIT: I think the biggest shake and roll they ever did on TNG was when the Enterprise got hit by the tail-end of the Tin Man energy attack, and Picard gets hurled into a wall while Worf is knocked on his rear end.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 24, 2015

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

:siren: :siren: :siren: THE MONTH OF BIJ CONCLUDES!! :siren: :siren: :siren:

That's right, the month in which we indulge our self-hatred by watching the worst episodes of Star Trek is almost over!

Last week it was Deep Space Nine and Games.

This week it's a double whammy: Voyager and Enterprise!

Voyager
1st Place: Threshold

2nd Place (tied): Fair Haven

2nd Place (tied): Endgame

Enterprise
1st Place: These Are the Voyages...

2nd Place (tied): A Night in Sickbay

2nd Place (tied): Terra Nova

Coming up next week: Sweet relief! The Month of Beard begins!

Fun note, for Enterprise, I almost mistyped "These Are the Voyagers..." just now. That would have been an even stranger crossover finale than the one we got.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 24, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Yesterday's Enterprise is great because its a really good episode that also goes out of its way to throw hilarious nonsense at you.

Poor Alternate Riker never saw those rocks coming and I wonder if that guy ever made it to Cetacean Ops

Too bad they didn't go with the Wesley Decapitation Shot

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

thexerox123 posted:

Enterprise
1st Place: These Are the Voyages...

What. Ever.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What they did to Trip was criminal. Just pointless.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Is there anything I should know about the Blu-ray discs of TNG before I buy them?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Insane Totoro posted:

Is there anything I should know about the Blu-ray discs of TNG before I buy them?

If you're buying used, there's a chance you might get a copy of Season 1 with the messed up audio channels, so be careful about that. Or just skip that season because it's kind of terrible.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Roadie posted:

In Movie Memories, Shatner's ghostwriter describes how the Enterprise-B set for Generations was built on a big hydraulic platform so they could actually shake the bridge around, but nobody told Shatner this; when the director yelled "Action!" he went into the usual spaz routine, and combined with the set hydraulics he got tossed halfway across the bridge for real.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

McSpanky posted:

In Movie Memories, Shatner's ghostwriter describes how the Enterprise-B set for Generations was built on a big hydraulic platform so they could actually shake the bridge around, but nobody told Shatner this; when the director yelled "Action!" he went into the usual spaz routine, and combined with the set hydraulics he got tossed halfway across the bridge for real.

I enjoy this anecdote.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Trent posted:

I enjoy this anecdote.

Likely garbage as well as that kind of poo poo would require safety briefings, if not actual stunt doubles etc..

But that never stopped the Shat from getting in the way of a story.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Given Shatner's reputation among the cast I wouldn't put it past them to not tell him for comedy's sake.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Didn't The Shat write about joining firemen in fighting a blaze while dressed as Captain Kirk only to get called out on it being BS years later?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

You've been skipping Season 3? The first two, I understand... but season three? Who Watches the Watchers? The Survivors? The Defector? The High Ground? Deja Q? Yesterday's Enterprise? The Offspring? Sins of the Father? The Most Toys? Sarek? The better half of Best of Both Worlds??!?!?!

"The High Ground"? Isn't that the episode which inadvertently ended up as a really tired analogy for the Troubles and had Data talking about how the IRA terrorist campaign is supposed to succeed in, what, about five years from now?

I wouldn't say it's an especially bad episode, but it seems a bit mediocre compared to the others listed. :shrug:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I thought I'd give Voyager a go since I hadn't seen most of it since it first aired. I have a soft spot for a few episodes (I don't know why but I like Omega) but a lot of it is a blur.

But man, I just can't. I had to turn it off after the first half hour because I know it's all just wasted. The setting, the characters, the ship, it's all just window dressing to re-hashed TNG scripts.

Like I know Harry is just going to be an ensign his whole life. There's no character growth to look forward to (outside his one time travel episode which is legit good but doesn't do anything to the status-quo). But he's set up at first as a Wesley character who could progress into....something. Who knows.

Blah, maybe another time.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Roadie posted:

Claudia Christian broke her leg while falling over - albeit not in a shakey ship moment - on B5 and they had to write it into the story (by having it in the story that she broke her leg when she fell over)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

McSpanky posted:

My understanding was that Nemesis was the first and only time they'd put a bridge set on a movable platform. :confused:

Wheat Loaf posted:

"The High Ground"? Isn't that the episode which inadvertently ended up as a really tired analogy for the Troubles and had Data talking about how the IRA terrorist campaign is supposed to succeed in, what, about five years from now?

I wouldn't say it's an especially bad episode, but it seems a bit mediocre compared to the others listed. :shrug:

It's still a hell of a lot more intriguing than some of the late-TNG snoozers, like "Troi's mom has bad memories" or "Geordi gets romantically involved with a murder suspect" or "Worf is bad at being a single dad"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Carnaticum posted:

Didn't The Shat write about joining firemen in fighting a blaze while dressed as Captain Kirk only to get called out on it being BS years later?

Yep, the story was that he was in full Starfleet uniform while helping to fight a fire that was starting to torch the Genesis Planet set.

My understanding was that Nemesis was the first and only time they'd put a bridge set on a movable platform. :confused:

They first started using gimbals for the bridge sets on Star Trek VI, I believe at Nick Meyer's insistence.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Yes, as I recall that is why Sulu has that awesome coffee table right in front of his chair.

Seriously that is why Sulu's Excelsior remains the coolest.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Tyson Tomko posted:

Normally I'm against people talking about lists and skipping episodes, but you've got one great list. Hollow Pursuits is simply a fun fantastic episode. I SHALL SPEAK WITH MY SWORD SUHHHH (sir)

Hah! Yes indeed, my fiancee and I watched a "Best of Barclay" recently that kicked off with that episode. We also had a "Best of Holodeck" night with Fistful of Datas, Our Man Bashir, and Bride of Chaotica! Tons of fun.

The list I posted came about because I showed Darmok to my linguistics class last summer and half the class immediately responded by saying "Wow, I never though I'd like Star Trek but that was awesome! What else should I watch?" and, well, that's what I came up with.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Apollodorus posted:

Yes, as I recall that is why Sulu has that awesome coffee table right in front of his chair.

Seriously that is why Sulu's Excelsior remains the coolest.

This is why Elite Force 2 is awesome because you get to run around in an Excelsior class ship.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It's still a hell of a lot more intriguing than some of the late-TNG snoozers, like "Troi's mom has bad memories" or "Geordi gets romantically involved with a murder suspect" or "Worf is bad at being a single dad"

Well, by those standards, certainly.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Wheat Loaf posted:

That bit was always cut out in UK broadcasts.

Can't give hope to the terrorists!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yep, it was all about The Troubles, and as a native of Belfast I always adore when foreign shows do an episode about it whether directly or obliquely. :flegs: It's supposed to happen in 2024 so I guess the IRA better get back to work if they are to force a Westminster capitulation on the issue in a scant nine years.

Shyrka posted:

More than that, the episode was cut from the run entirely at first, then when they did show it later the line has been cut, I don't know if they still do though.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Still watching through DS9 again. When I got a bit into season 4 a week or two ago, it was such a step up from the previous seasons that I was going to say it's probably the best. Then I watched through 5 and it got even better, and now I'm on Favor the Bold in season 6 and it's even better still.

TNG and Voyager are good in their own ways for different reasons but jesus DS9 is so goddamn good.

e: Sacrifice of Angels :hellyeah:

bango skank fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 25, 2015

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Shyrka posted:

On a stranger note, I was watching BBC America the other day and when Picard was explaining to Wesley how he got his artificial heart they cut out the line about how he remembered laughing before he passed out.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

It's really amazing how boring they managed to make freighter shipping in a world rife with pirates.

Like it should be boring, but when people paid to make up interesting stories for a living decide to tell a story about hauling space freight they really should try in some way however minor to make it interesting. I don't know, have an antagonist or something.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Claudia Christian broke her leg while falling over - albeit not in a shakey ship moment - on B5 and they had to write it into the story (by having it in the story that she broke her leg when she fell over)

Those goddamned green Drazi, you just can't trust them.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Delsaber posted:

Those goddamned green Drazi, you just can't trust them.

Purple.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

GREEN

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cat Hatter posted:

On a stranger note, I was watching BBC America the other day and when Picard was explaining to Wesley how he got his artificial heart they cut out the line about how he remembered laughing before he passed out.

Which is terrible, because in that episode where Q fixes it for him, he ends up going back in time and laughing for a totally different reason.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Snak posted:

Which is terrible, because in that episode where Q fixes it for him, he ends up going back in time and laughing for a totally different reason.

And, if I'm not mistaken, BBCA aired Tapestry unedited. So they can show Picard being stabbed through the chest and then laughing about it, just so long as he doesn't describe it to anyone.

rumtherapy
Feb 23, 2015

intox
Hey, nerds.
I'm guessing this show is pretty good since it's really well-known, but I've always tried to avoid it. Given that I'm probably going to give it a try, is there anything important I should know before I begin? Stuff like arbitrary watching order ( ex: prequel - original - sequel) or what series not to watch cause it sucks? Anything helps really.

Allahu Akbar

rumtherapy
Feb 23, 2015

intox
Oh yeah, also, George Takei visited my Uni yesterday. I was too busy, though, really wanted to go meet the guy.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And I think something similar happened to Jerry Doyle/Garibaldi, breaking an arm or something in a combat scene when the Shadows were trying to breach/board the station.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

rumtherapy posted:

Hey, nerds.
I'm guessing this show is pretty good since it's really well-known, but I've always tried to avoid it. Given that I'm probably going to give it a try, is there anything important I should know before I begin? Stuff like arbitrary watching order ( ex: prequel - original - sequel) or what series not to watch cause it sucks? Anything helps really.

Allahu Akbar
OP has some good suggestions for places to start out, really.

The chronology of the show internally goes like this:

ENT -> TOS/TAS -> TOS movies -> TNG -> DS9/TNG movies -> Voyager

However Enterprise is pretty fanservicey, so I wouldn't start there. I'd suggest you start in season 3 of TNG unless you like old cheese, in which case hop around in TOS for a bit. DS9's probably the best storyline but you'd want to see a bit of TNG so you can get the universe better. Voyager is bad with some goodish episodes here and there; I believe Enterprise is thought to be baddish in the first two seasons and goodish in the second two, except for the fart of a final episode.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You should pretty much watch Star Trek in the order it came out. It won't really ruin anything if you watch it in whatever order you feel like, but there is a pretty clear evolution of the franchise from the Original Series, to "The Next Generation", to "Deep Space Nine". If you want to try watching Star Trek, you should basically give all three of those a shot. They are each good in their own way. Since trek has almost always been an episodic show, it mostly doesn't matter if you don't watch all the episodes or watch them in the correct order this goes for all Trek, including movies, except for "Deep Space Nine", which must be watched in order.

All of the movies are optional, except Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, which should be watched after you've watched all the Original Series you feel like.

While tastes may vary, the "Voyager" and "Enterprise" are the blandest, least interesting shows. You can definitely check them out, but if you think they suck, they are a bad example of Star Trek.

I don't know what you normally watch, but remember that Star Trek is a television-budget science fiction show. Imagine how cheesy that can be, and adjust your expectations accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Adequate posted:

Yep, it was all about The Troubles, and as a native of Belfast I always adore when foreign shows do an episode about it whether directly or obliquely. :flegs: It's supposed to happen in 2024 so I guess the IRA better get back to work if they are to force a Westminster capitulation on the issue in a scant nine years.

It has nothing on "If It's Doomsday, It Must Be Belfast" (a.k.a. "Captain Planet Saves Belfast") for foreign representation as of Our Wee Country. :v:

• Locked thread