Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Wait that's not copy-pasted from Reddit or something?

How was the guy even supposed to know you wanted to buy something? Most people who go to an LGS don't, from what I've seen, especially the regulars.

We should discuss the difference between socially awkward and socially inept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Wait that's not copy-pasted from Reddit or something?

How was the guy even supposed to know you wanted to buy something? Most people who go to an LGS don't, from what I've seen, especially the regulars.

Really? If I go down to my LGS I'm pretty much never walking out of there without a card or a tournament entry.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TheKingofSprings posted:

Really? If I go down to my LGS I'm pretty much never walking out of there without a card or a tournament entry.

My LGS for all the other things I can say about it that are fantastic, is a firm believer in SCG pricing on singles.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I know plenty of people who go to LGS just to hang out with other regulars and playtest Standard or play Commander.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

born on a buy you posted:

You're a stupid human being.

am I just a huge fag?

You're just a huge fag op
stop this you homophobic idiot

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

My LGS for all the other things I can say about it that are fantastic, is a firm believer in SCG pricing on singles.

This is the case for my place in my hometown (which made trading in for two Goyfs kind of painful)

And then there's Fusion Gaming where they marked up Coursers by 50% one day because "people would buy them"

I don't buy many singles from Fusion anymore

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is the case for my place in my hometown (which made trading in for two Goyfs kind of painful)

And then there's Fusion Gaming where they marked up Coursers by 50% one day because "people would buy them"

I don't buy many singles from Fusion anymore

They also buylist for below any buylist I've ever seen. As you might imagine, they don't move a lot of singles. I don't think they really want to be involved in it, but kind of do it sometimes. Oh well.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

mr. mephistopheles posted:

You're right.

E: And I'm not hating on the girl, and I think it's good he wants to help a new player. I've been in the shop a bunch of times while there have been other customers being helped and they'd still greet and ask if I needed anything because that just seems like basic customer service, and it's frustrating to walk in to a store ready to spend money and have them not even acknowledge you. But yes, I'm being goony and obnoxious about it.

Hmm, on one hand you're right the guy should have acknowledged you and the reason I stopped going to one store was that the people at the counter would rather jaw with regulars than with the guy with an open trade binder and a written list on top of it.

On the other hand, lmao

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

There's a running joke at the LGS here that random customers never seem to know who works there. The owner/operator thinks that, "Can I help you?" is pushy salesmanship.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

jassi007 posted:

I have an LGS I buy from and an LGS I play tournaments at. The former does TCG mid for sales and anywhere from 40-70% of TCG mid for buying, depending on the individual card, but their tournaments always have a bunch of wannabe-pros who flick their cards and get mad over trying to converse at all. The latter has free tournaments and decent enough people, but their prices are set in stoneand they're always SCG preorder high and almost never drop. I think they're still trying to get like $30 for Nissa, Worldwaker.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lancelot posted:

stop this you homophobic idiot

No you see he's ironically reinforcing heteronormativity and turning sexual minorities into pariahs!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I can't tell who's trolling this thread anymore.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Just went into a LGS to buy some Modern singles and there was a cute girl at the counter who was apparently just getting into Magic and I stood at the singles case about three feet away from them for five minutes while he rattled off the basic rules of Magic and the story of Theros and asked her what color she liked the most without even acknowledging I was there. It was cute how he dumbed things down like saying "friendly colors" instead of "ally colors" for no discernible reason. I ended up ordering a playset of the one card I really wanted off ebay on my phone and walking out. I'm sure I could have said "hey can I get some singles" and he would have helped me, but I am of the belief that I shouldn't have to do much work beyond "being present" to have the opportunity to give my money to a business, and it bothers me that I know he would have helped me, or at least acknowledged that I was standing in his store, if the person just getting into the game was a fat neckbeard with a ponytail. This hobby sometimes.

Look at it this way: You can't wait for the guy behind the counter to initiate. He controls the store, he's content to just sit there and draw and pass the turn and play his cantrips in your end step, and if you let him he'll cast Sphinx's Revelation for 5 before you know it. You need to take control of the situation, throw a turn 1 Goblin Guide in that fucker's face by saying "Hello" and by the time you drop your turn 3 Rabblemaster "I'd like to buy some singles" he'll be flailing about desperate to complete your purchase and get back to talking to someone who actually showers but he won't be able to because there aren't any 4-mana wraths around for him to respond with and then you will reign supreme, and the cute girl will probably say "Wow that sligh player is awesome for asking to buy something so quickly!" and then she will be yours but it turns out she's just the art on a Steve Argyle card and you are alone

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

not to interrupt customer-service-gate, but:

ok Wizards, you've crossed the line.

I jump through the pre-release hoops and check boxes off and high five dudes and generally try to be a good sport about the pre-release games, but this is just some Sheldon Mennery poo poo now.
I guarantee you we're going to hear stories about oafish idiots pegging players in the face with spindowns because their insatiable desire for promo rares trumps any concern for the safety of others around them.

It's like they're trolling their own players: "Oh, you're thirty and you play in a collectible card game tournament? Well, here -- here's a children's carnival game you need to play to get your cards, because you're a loving child."

... I'll still play it, though. :smithicide:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Why can't we all just get along and play dumb silly Tiny Leaders decks like Muzzio, Muzzio's great, right guys?

..Guys?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Dungeon Ecology posted:

not to interrupt customer-service-gate, but:

ok Wizards, you've crossed the line.

I jump through the pre-release hoops and check boxes off and high five dudes and generally try to be a good sport about the pre-release games, but this is just some Sheldon Mennery poo poo now.
I guarantee you we're going to hear stories about oafish idiots pegging players in the face with spindowns because their insatiable desire for promo rares trumps any concern for the safety of others around them.

It's like they're trolling their own players: "Oh, you're thirty and you play in a collectible card game tournament? Well, here -- here's a children's carnival game you need to play to get your cards, because you're a loving child."

... I'll still play it, though. :smithicide:

I tweeted Maro and told him this was going to upset people. He asked why. Well, people come to play magic, not marbles man. People are going to get salty about this, assuming stores follow the rules. I doubt a lot of them will, who has time to do this for 50+ person FNM's.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I guess I'm a big weird diva for expecting a small shop owner to say "hey" or "welcome" or literally anything and ask every customer if they need any help when they walk into the store.

Real life is NOT Animal Crossing actually, there are times when store owners are busy and can't say 'hold up person I'm mid talk with, HELLO ENTRANT TO MY STORE'.

Also people made about the pre-release thing are dumb.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The 'ol hardcast Elesh Norn. Classic vintage play going on in VSL.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

jassi007 posted:

I tweeted Maro and told him this was going to upset people. He asked why. Well, people come to play magic, not marbles man. People are going to get salty about this, assuming stores follow the rules. I doubt a lot of them will, who has time to do this for 50+ person FNM's.

Has anyone asked him why Chaos Orb and Falling Star are banned but this is okay

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

Why can't we all just get along and play dumb silly Tiny Leaders decks like Muzzio, Muzzio's great, right guys?

..Guys?

I want to make Stiflenought Muzzio.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Hopping Ghost posted:

Has anyone asked him why Chaos Orb and Falling Star are banned but this is okay

Because.... this isn't part of an actual game of Magic?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

The 'ol hardcast Elesh Norn. Classic vintage play going on in VSL.

It is funny how vulnerable vintage blue decks are to big dudes. There are so many conditional counters that if you run through your Forces you have a hard time answering your opponent just hardcasting their finisher.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

The Lord of Hats posted:

Because.... this isn't part of an actual game of Magic?
Don't you see? 'Spergy nerds and their atrophied muscles might get a Blossoming Sands, a Mystic of the Hidden Way if they're lucky, leaving the store to eBay their uncommons and rares for mad scratch. Whoever came up with this promotion got a raise, I guaran-goddamned-tee it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Count Bleck posted:

..Guys?

I'm trying to build a good Omnath deck but I got run over by my friend's Daxos deck the one match I played it. Now I'm building Mereike Ri Beriet mill because I'm a douchebag (and have a bunch of pieces from Esper Mill in Modern)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

C-Euro posted:

I'm trying to build a good Omnath deck but I got run over by my friend's Daxos deck the one match I played it. Now I'm building Mereike Ri Beriet mill because I'm a douchebag (and have a bunch of pieces from Esper Mill in Modern)
What's the white for?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

Someone I know did this, gently caress turn 1 Hedron Crab.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tubgoat posted:

What's the white for?

Path, Swords and good stalling and SB cards like Ghostly Prison and Stony Silence. Plus she's a quarter and Sygg, River Cutthroat is $5, so you tell me.

E:

First Bass posted:

Hedron Crab rules, definitely one of my favorite one-drops ever even if it's only useful in specific cases. So much value off of land drops.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 25, 2015

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

Don't you see? 'Spergy nerds and their atrophied muscles might get a Blossoming Sands, a Mystic of the Hidden Way if they're lucky, leaving the store to eBay their uncommons and rares for mad scratch. Whoever came up with this promotion got a raise, I guaran-goddamned-tee it.

~ cut to pasty neckbeard curling 1 lb. runner's weights, muttering "I will get that promo rare..." ~

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Dungeon Ecology posted:

~ cut to pasty neckbeard curling 1 lb. runner's weights, muttering "I will get that promo rare..." ~

I hope the promo rare is worth $200 and that it's basically impossible to score that high and furthermore that the TO is legally required to rip it up in front of you when you fail to get the required points.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

First Bass posted:

Hedron Crab is literally one of my favorite cards in Magic, it's a downright evil, evil, card if done right.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm annoyed. Pre-releases are miserable enough to run already, There's absolutely no way I'm going to be able to run a tournament and play carnie for a whole pre-release worth of people to play some dumb mini-game which means I'm going to have to ask another Judge to skip out on playing and help me run the event.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hedron Crab is literally one of my favorite cards in Magic, it's a downright evil, evil, card if done right.

Absolutely agree, the reason it's in my cube is because of how fun it is to drop turn 1.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Balon posted:

Absolutely agree, the reason it's in my cube is because of how fun it is to drop turn 1.

Or when your opponent is at 3 cards in their library and you Ghost Quarter your own land on their upkeep, knowing you still have one of your three basic lands left in your deck. I won a match doing this :jeb:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 25, 2015

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm annoyed. Pre-releases are miserable enough to run already, There's absolutely no way I'm going to be able to run a tournament and play carnie for a whole pre-release worth of people to play some dumb mini-game which means I'm going to have to ask another Judge to skip out on playing and help me run the event.

Just give out the cards as door prizes...

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Look at it this way: You can't wait for the guy behind the counter to initiate. He controls the store, he's content to just sit there and draw and pass the turn and play his cantrips in your end step, and if you let him he'll cast Sphinx's Revelation for 5 before you know it. You need to take control of the situation, throw a turn 1 Goblin Guide in that fucker's face by saying "Hello" and by the time you drop your turn 3 Rabblemaster "I'd like to buy some singles" he'll be flailing about desperate to complete your purchase and get back to talking to someone who actually showers but he won't be able to because there aren't any 4-mana wraths around for him to respond with and then you will reign supreme, and the cute girl will probably say "Wow that sligh player is awesome for asking to buy something so quickly!" and then she will be yours but it turns out she's just the art on a Steve Argyle card and you are alone

This was the most beautiful thing I've read in this thread.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

That's what my friend did, he was running and judging the FNM so everyone got an Ugin's Fate pack. HIS friend ran it the next day, and she made everyone do that scorecard nonsense for packs AND stay until the sealed tournament was over (you couldn't just open your sealed pack or finish your rounds, know you're not getting into top 3 for increased prize support, peace out).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The girl that's sometimes behind the counter at one of the LGS I go to never does poo poo unless you basically flag her down because she's always too busy flapping her gums about her boyfriend and their relationship problems to anyone that will listen. Everyone else at that LGS and every other LGS I go to you have to stop their conversation about their stupid tribal cats Commander deck to get service.

Its not that hard, just put some effort in.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

A challenger approaches.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Real life is NOT Animal Crossing actually, there are times when store owners are busy and can't say 'hold up person I'm mid talk with, HELLO ENTRANT TO MY STORE'.

You obviously don't interrupt in mid-sentence but you also don't let it hang for five minutes without any sort of acknowledgment. I admit I've never worked in a nerd shop but I've had to deal with informal queues of people like that, and I do have a good idea of how this sort of thing should be handled in a professional capacity. You find a good point to figure out if the new person needs anything, then you either excuse yourself from the first person to help the new person or you let the new person know it'll be a little while, as appropriate based on the relative urgencies of their business. It's not that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Not my call.

• Locked thread