Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Uber for package delivery

im the flood of independent drivers becoming unsuspecting drug mules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

you didn't even mention the part where Waffle House is offering itself as a location for "package" handoffs

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

bassguitarhero posted:

you didn't even mention the part where Waffle House is offering itself as a location for "package" handoffs

usually package handoffs happen in the alley behind the waffle house

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

usually package handoffs happen in the alley behind the waffle house

I guess the ceo wants to utilize social media synergies to capitalize on existing social transactions on his premises

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lol at the thought of anyone wanting to live someplace near a waffle house

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FCKGW posted:

lol at the thought of anyone wanting to live someplace near a waffle house

Waffle House is good.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

no i have never paid attention to hp lol

reminder: when carly fiorina left hp, the stock jumped such that the market cap value of hp went up by a few billion dollars

the stock market literally valued carly fiorina's leadership at negative three billion dollars

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

reminder: when carly fiorina left hp, the stock jumped such that the market cap value of hp went up by a few billion dollars

the stock market literally valued carly fiorina's leadership at negative three billion dollars

negative potential is still potential!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i like how she's trying to sell herself as someone that rose from a "secretary" to becoming a top ceo in america. yeah i bet her father being a loving judge and her going to stanford to major in philosophy and medieval literature (really? and she's still this conservative) didn't give her a step up at all.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

just gonna repost this, because fiorina paid for it

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

fits my needs posted:

i like how she's trying to sell herself as someone that rose from a "secretary" to becoming a top ceo in america. yeah i bet her father being a loving judge and her going to stanford to major in philosophy and medieval literature (really? and she's still this conservative) didn't give her a step up at all.
don't stomp on the face of the american dream, terrorist

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

noice

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

bassguitarhero posted:

putting the hash in hash browns

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

in fun news restaurants around Austin are starting to ban Favor. apparently places finally got fed up with them tying up their kitchen with massive orders and their staff to package them to go during peak times then stiffing them because favor has a "no tipping" policy for places they order at. the favor runners also have started not wearing the uniform because wait staff started ignoring them in favor of paying customers or literally anything else that needed doing.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

in fun news restaurants around Austin are starting to ban Favor. apparently places finally got fed up with them tying up their kitchen with massive orders and their staff to package them to go during peak times then stiffing them because favor has a "no tipping" policy for places they order at. the favor runners also have started not wearing the uniform because wait staff started ignoring them in favor of paying customers or literally anything else that needed doing.

this was written about groupon but it still perfectly describes this

http://www.ribbonfarm.com/2013/04/03/the-locust-economy/

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

this was written about groupon but it still perfectly describes this

http://www.ribbonfarm.com/2013/04/03/the-locust-economy/

that's a lot of words

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

jooky posted:

that's a lot of words

quote:

Locust swarms are aggressively and energetically social. Remind you of any contemporary pattern of human behavior?

There seems to be an implicit holier-than-thou assumption among sharing economy evangelists that social sharing is primarily about virtuous behaviors like generosity, empathy, minding the planet, conserving resources, avoiding waste and so forth. Only secondarily do they see it as a zero-sum/negative-sum adaptation to recessionary conditions — Bruce Sterling’s favela chic.

They rarely think of it as a predatory behavior at all.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

that's prety much the gist of it

Apr 7, 2003

fits my needs posted:

a lot of teachers used to talk about how Bill Gates was a quintessential American success story and completely ignored that his father was a millionaire

Apr 7, 2003

like, your dad being insanely rich is the number one determinant of success in America. nothing else matters even half as much

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Citizen Tayne posted:

a lot of teachers used to talk about how Bill Gates was a quintessential American success story and completely ignored that his father was a millionaire

also his mom was on the board of directors for united way with the chair of IBM, which hired microsoft to do ms-dos.

HMMMM.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i bet she got a lovely 'secretary' job for six months on purpose just so she could brag about that later

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

sorry what i meant to say was, plucky little down-on-his-luck college drop-out bill gates, with little more than his wits and the clothes on his back, started a software company in a garage and became the Richest Man In The World.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
any startup story that includes the notion of "loving around in somebody's garage for more than one week, while i am not conventionally employed' it's telegraphing pretty big privilege

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

hahaha wow i did not know she was such a dumb bad lady
jeez

bill hewlett: 'yo the pc is officially race-to-the-bottom poo poo now we should do other things like for real'
carly fiorina: 'lets merge with compaq lol gently caress you'

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Citizen Tayne posted:

really the quintessential american success story is edison

Apr 7, 2003

ayn rand hand job posted:

really the quintessential american success story is edison

The guy who paid a bunch of dudes to invent things and then took all the credit?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Citizen Tayne posted:

The guy who paid a bunch of dudes to invent things and then took all the credit?

dont forget trolling tesla HARD

quote:

Tesla was offered the task of completely redesigning the Edison Company's direct current generators. In 1885, he said that he could redesign Edison's inefficient motor and generators, making an improvement in both service and economy. According to Tesla, Edison remarked, "There's fifty thousand dollars in it for you—if you can do it"[8]:54–57—this has been noted as an odd statement from an Edison whose company was stingy with pay and who did not have that sort of cash on hand.[1]:110 After months of work, Tesla fulfilled the task and inquired about payment. Edison, saying that he was only joking, replied, "Tesla, you don't understand our American humor."[13]:64[39] Instead, Edison offered a US$10 a week raise over Tesla's US$18 per week salary; Tesla refused the offer and immediately resigned.[8]

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
succeeding largely through well-connected parents and downplaying your privilege is the quintessential American success story

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

qntm posted:

succeeding largely through well-connected parents and downplaying your privilege is the quintessential American success story

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

i bet she got a lovely 'secretary' job for six months on purpose just so she could brag about that later

dick cheney rose from secretary of defense to ceo and then vice president

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

qntm posted:

We’ve always encouraged young people: take a shot, go for it, take a risk, get the education, borrow money if you have to from your parents, start a business.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Elder Postsman posted:

We’ve always encouraged young people: take a shot, go for it, take a risk, get the education, borrow money if you have to from your parents, start a business.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

this fuckin' bullshit

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my dad tried to borrow $1000 from me to cover a hot rent check. gj mittens

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Elder Postsman posted:

for awhile there in college we roughed it by furnishing our apartment with carpet samples for rugs and selling stock to scrape by for rent

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
carly wasn't really wrong in the ad about people sensing that there are things that are being taken away from them and that they are being denied opportunity

she just fundamentally misunderstands the root causes of these things

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stymie posted:

carly wasn't really wrong in the ad about people sensing that there are things that are being taken away from them and that they are being denied opportunity

she just fundamentally misunderstands the root causes of these things

or is ignoring that the people sensing things being taken away are white, and what they're losing is some minor privilege

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Elder Postsman posted:

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/02/20/12/36/teenager-making-480000-a-year-in-babysitting

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

infernal machines posted:

or is ignoring that the people sensing things being taken away are white, and what they're losing is some minor privilege

if they're poor, they're also feeling the economic part of what others are feeling, that's the genius of it all, associate it to the whole lost privilege part, shame it's a pure coincidence, someone could have felt smart about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jonny 290 posted:

any startup story that includes the notion of "loving around in somebody's garage for more than one week, while i am not conventionally employed' it's telegraphing pretty big privilege

were jobs and/or woz connected to money in any way, i really don't know

• Locked thread