Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Fuzz posted:

I bought Smash, MH4, and Link Between Worlds all off the eShop and none of them gave me coins. I have a whopping like, 8 coins because I only play at home.

Go for a drat walk with it in your pocket man cmon son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Haruharuharuko posted:

Go for a drat walk with it in your pocket man cmon son.

I'm constantly capped at 300 coins. The struggle is real. :(

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

So, like an idiot, I stripped one of the screws on the back of my New 3DS XL pretty bad. Is there any way to get one of these things loose once it's stripped?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Republican Vampire posted:

So, like an idiot, I stripped one of the screws on the back pretty bad. Is there any way to get one of these things loose once it's stripped?

You should have Kickstarted my 3DS screw tutorial and practice kit.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Man, I'm starting to wonder if we all have autism and some of us are just not as autistic as others. How the gently caress do so many people have problems with things detailed on almost every drat page

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Manky posted:

So I freaking love my new3DS and all, but I'm hankerin' for a good open world sandbox game. Something in the vein of the classics, GTA, Saints Row, Just Cause, Assassin's Creed, etc. Games I spent a lot of time loading up just to crash cars and blow off steam. From googling, it looks like my options are Lego City Undercover (reportedly very mediocre) or replaying GTA: Chinatown Wars. Have I missed anything?

Retro City Rampage is fun as hell and shame on anyone who hesitated to represent for it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Space Fish posted:

Retro City Rampage is fun as hell and shame on anyone who hesitated to represent for it.

Yeah, it's pretty fun. It also just got a big New 3DS compatibility update.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Like I'm gonna loving go into Wii mode and deal with that shop interface.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Never played it but I heard it was just "references: the game" and not much else.

Is that not correct?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I didn't even look at the screwdriver size I just saw one that seemed like it would fit and it worked loving fine

How are you people jamming screwdrivers in there and just cranking away while that fucker slips around

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

noirstronaut posted:

Man, I'm starting to wonder if we all have autism and some of us are just not as autistic as others. How the gently caress do so many people have problems with things detailed on almost every drat page

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to do a system transfer?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Space Fish posted:

I honestly forgot it even was on the DS. Yeah, it's good.

poo poo, now I'm probably going to impulse buy it off the eShop because I hate turning our PS3 on anymore.

My gf and I spend way too much money on video games and red wine lately, mostly because the whole town has been covered in ice for like 2 weeks.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I didn't even look at the screwdriver size I just saw one that seemed like it would fit and it worked loving fine

How are you people jamming screwdrivers in there and just cranking away while that fucker slips around

Some of the people buying N3DSes have evidently never used a screwdriver before. Not coincidentally, I'd like to drink one

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Republican Vampire posted:

So, like an idiot, I stripped one of the screws on the back of my New 3DS XL pretty bad. Is there any way to get one of these things loose once it's stripped?

If it's not totally rounded from your gently caress up, try putting a rubber band in between the screw and screwdriver and pray to whatever god you worship that it turns.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
How the gently caress are people stripping these screws? The only way I can come up with how this is even possible is using totally the wrong size screwdriver and just not giving up for 10 minutes until it's just totally hosed or not knowing which direction to turn your screwdriver- Instead just getting more and more angry that the screw is getting tighter and tighter.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you even strip a screw that tiny? Did you just keep loving with it while it was slipping? Jesus christ, this is why IT guys who are worthless make 75k+ a year, because they went to amazon and bought a screwdriver set.

Anyways, your tiny screw is hosed, and you'll have to buy a new backplate or a busted nu3ds for parts, because they're inset into the plate and have a special washer holding them in.

IN OTHER NEWS!

I love paper mario, so I'm getting that for the 3ds and New SUper MArio 3D lan. Question: Does paper mario have an SA thread, and can I turn up the difficulty somehow since the mario RPG's tend to be super easy?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

io_burn posted:

How the gently caress are people stripping these screws? The only way I can come up with how this is even possible is using totally the wrong size screwdriver and just not giving up for 10 minutes until it's just totally hosed or not knowing which direction to turn your screwdriver- Instead just getting more and more angry that the screw is getting tighter and tighter.

You can't even do that because they have a washer in there that just bounces the crew back when you over tighten.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mods please ban that guy, I'm getting IRL angry imagining that guy furiously trying to unscrew his 3DS while the driver just slips out of it over and over again and slowly carves a circle into the head

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Turtlicious posted:

You can't even do that because they have a washer in there that just bounces the crew back when you over tighten.

Well I got nothin'.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Turtlicious posted:

I love paper mario, so I'm getting that for the 3ds

Hoo boy. If you really loved Paper Mario 1 and 2, but didn't like SPM so much I would think about not getting the 3DS one. It's an RPG but verrrrrrrrry different.

Turtlicious posted:

can I turn up the difficulty somehow since the mario RPG's tend to be super easy?

There is no difficulty setting in Sticker Star and the only way to make it harder is play like an idiot. Aside from some weird puzzles and maybe the bosses, it is probably the easiest yet. However the bosses are harder for...different reasons.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Next Club Nintendo survey I fill in I'll be suggesting that games have three difficulty modes: Easy, Normal, and Unscrewing two screws.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's not hard to strip a screw if you apply too much force and/or screw it improperly. That said, turning your wrist gently and feeling whether or not it's being raised higher should be an intuitive thing and I hope all of you who somehow hosed it up feel ashamed for ruining your backplate. :colbert:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Color Printer posted:

Hoo boy. If you really loved Paper Mario 1 and 2, but didn't like SPM so much I would think about not getting the 3DS one. It's an RPG but verrrrrrrrry different.

There is no difficulty setting in Sticker Star and the only way to make it harder is play like an idiot. Aside from some weird puzzles and maybe the bosses, it is probably the easiest yet. However the bosses are harder for...different reasons.

Can you expand? I already ordered it off of amazon, so I'd rather know right now if I should return it.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Turtlicious posted:

Can you expand? I already ordered it off of amazon, so I'd rather know right now if I should return it.

It's less an RPG and more of an inventory management thing. You collect stickers for your items and all your attacks but they're all temporary. You get absolutely nothing from battles except coins, which you can use to buy more stickers....which are found lying around a bunch anyway. You don't level up, you just arbitrarily get stronger...I think. (There are HP up items to find, though.)

The game has the same charming dialogue as the others, but...less so. Example: Bowser doesn't say a single word in this. Not one. Peach says, what, three or four lines?

It's a shame because I have to admit the gameplay isn't that bad (except for the part where random battles are completely pointless, which was a dumb design choice) and it pulls off the "Paper" style better than any Paper Mario game to date. If these problems were fixed it would probably be great. As it is, it's a hit-or-miss game. Some people here love it. Some hate it. Decide for yourself, I guess?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Color Printer posted:

It's less an RPG and more of an inventory management thing. You collect stickers for your items and all your attacks but they're all temporary. You get absolutely nothing from battles except coins, which you can use to buy more stickers....which are found lying around a bunch anyway. You don't level up, you just arbitrarily get stronger...I think. (There are HP up items to find, though.)

The game has the same charming dialogue as the others, but...less so. Example: Bowser doesn't say a single word in this. Not one. Peach says, what, three or four lines?

It's a shame because I have to admit the gameplay isn't that bad (except for the part where random battles are completely pointless, which was a dumb design choice) and it pulls off the "Paper" style better than any Paper Mario game to date. If these problems were fixed it would probably be great. As it is, it's a hit-or-miss game. Some people here love it. Some hate it. Decide for yourself, I guess?

It's pretty much a point-and-click adventure game with stickers for inventory puzzles and combat. It's not a bad game, but definitely not what you might consider a "proper" Paper Mario RPG.

I must admit I'm partial to Gooper Blooper's rhythm-based boss battle though :allears:.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

lol im a hypocrite

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I should catch that...

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
This level is going to eat me alive. :argh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I gave up on Sticker Star pretty fast. I think I used an important sticker that I needed to use to progress the story in a battle or something and I couldn't be bothered figuring out how to get around it. I am bad at video games but it wasn't as good to play as the first one or the thousand year door

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I caught Mew on my first try with a 14% chance :cool:

Also yeah Paper Mario Sticker Star is not by any means a BAD game, but it's also not an RPG like the others. It's still basically charming and all that but it's no Thousand Year Door or even Super Paper Mario, not by a longshot. It's about as good as like, New SMB2 I guess, which is not really high praise.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I am not a fan of the Final Fantasy games but I absolutely adore the SMT games. Would I enjoy Bravely Default?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

littleorv posted:

I am not a fan of the Final Fantasy games but I absolutely adore the SMT games. Would I enjoy Bravely Default?

Ok have you playedd FF 3 or 5 and liked them. If so you'll love Bravely Default. It's very little like SMT its a love letter to when FF games were good.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

littleorv posted:

Hell no.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

littleorv posted:

It depends on which final fantasy games you don't like and why. If it's the older ones like 5 then yeah you probably won't like it

It's really not much like SMT at all though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

littleorv posted:

Maybe not. But Bravely Default is more old school Final Fantasy (like SNES era) in story and battle system. Could always try the demo if it's still up but that's a very bare bones demo that does not reflect on the story much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

littleorv posted:

Bravely Default is severely overhyped by goons. It is an OK game but it is super basic. The whole game is just walking from place to place killing things, like Final Fantasy 1, except you have a Job system so you can dress up your dudes and give them cool powers. But that's literally all there is to it. There are no minigames or any other kind of thing to do other than "go places and kill things in turn based battles, most of which are so easy you will literally fast-forward through them without any input required".

The DS game Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light is I guess a kind of "unofficial spiritual prequel" to Bravely Default and is MUCH better and interesting to play.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Thanks people. I guess I will pass then

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Bravely Default loving sucks. I gave my copy to a friend and he hated it too and I told him I didn't want it back. Buy SMT4 instead and learn to play a game with a real challenge.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Louisgod posted:

Bravely Default loving sucks. I gave my copy to a friend and he hated it too and I told him I didn't want it back. Buy SMT4 instead and learn to play a game with a real challenge.

SMTIV is really easy actually

Edit: actually I should say it isn't easy but it's not challenging either once you figure out what you are doing. My apologies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, Bravely Dedault is really bad. Not really sure why people like it. After a certain point, any good aspects are flung out the window.. Groundhog day. 4 times!