Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Finished the single player campaign (I guess) -- nice! Started working my way up the HR ranks, fought a Brachydios... god drat. Considering I'm only in HR3 and it's already throwing drooling T-rexes with bombs for hands at me, I'd say the real single player campaign is in the HR stuff. Pretty sure that was the first monster to knock me out, only a few minutes in, at that. Shageru "Shiggy-san" Magala was kind of a pushover in comparison.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Stupid question but when's the soonest I can hunt a bunch of Rhenopolos in HR? Literally only thing I need for my HR Tetsu armor.

Is there HR-specific armor? gently caress! What's with this game? I DON'T HAVE A THOUSAND HOURS

enojy fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I loving hate fighting khezus

that is all

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Khezus aren't bad at all, as long as you keep in mind that they're blind, and stay off to a side. If you get shocked, run/roll away for a bit until a cat kicks you or it wears off. Unless you meant like Khezus plural, then eh...

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

enojy posted:

Khezus aren't bad at all, as long as you keep in mind that they're blind, and stay off to a side. If you get shocked, run/roll away for a bit until a cat kicks you or it wears off. Unless you meant like Khezus plural, then eh...

yes I meant plural, fighting one is poo poo easy, fighting 2 is loving annoying as poo poo

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Dung bomb one so you don't have to deal with two in the same area at the same time.

e:V Break his horns and cut and carve his tail to give yourself the best chance at getting that fukken plate

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 25, 2015

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
I am about to throw my 3DS through the window if I don't get my Shagaru Plate soon. The fight doesn't even take very long I just want to be done with it!

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I know the feeling. I finally got mine after 10 kills, which I suppose isn't that bad in the grand scheme. Now I can finally start working on high rank.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Haruharuharuko posted:

Wait what? I have to know whats down there.

Camera pad since I don't have a Circle Pad Pro. Sometimes, you just gotta turn the camera to the right.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

to anyone itt that doesn't have a circle pad pro or new 3ds, I'm so very sorry

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The little nub thing sucks rear end for doing anything at all unfortunately, I would've much preferred an actual second circle pad.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

enojy posted:

Finished the single player campaign (I guess) -- nice! Started working my way up the HR ranks, fought a Brachydios... god drat. Considering I'm only in HR3 and it's already throwing drooling T-rexes with bombs for hands at me, I'd say the real single player campaign is in the HR stuff. Pretty sure that was the first monster to knock me out, only a few minutes in, at that. Shageru "Shiggy-san" Magala was kind of a pushover in comparison.

Is there HR-specific armor? gently caress! What's with this game? I DON'T HAVE A THOUSAND HOURS

3 Sets, LR, HR, G.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

CJacobs posted:

The little nub thing sucks rear end for doing anything at all unfortunately, I would've much preferred an actual second circle pad.

Sorry you're having problems but it's been great for me. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maybe I'm not using it right. Are you supposed to put your thumb in the middle and then move it, like an actual thumbstick/pad? Or are you supposed to just put your thumb on the edge of the direction you want to press? The former feels wrong because you can't actually move the nub (like those mouse controllers you see on old laptops). Either way, a second circle pad would still have been much better than this thing.

edit: vvv I'll try it that way for a while and see if it feels better, I figured I was probably doing it wrong.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 25, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You apply pressure towards the edge in the direction you want, like a Thinkpad clitmouse, yes.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

DoctorWhat posted:

You apply pressure towards the edge in the direction you want, like a Thinkpad clitmouse, yes.

Monster Hunter Megathread: like a Thinkpad clitmouse

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

CJacobs posted:

Been bowgunning it from the start all the way till now (G3*) and haven't had any issues with it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
See I was trying not to call it the clitbutton but that's pretty much what it is, thinking about it. And this does work a bit better for controlling the camera but I'm still holding a grudge against it regardless.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

CJacobs posted:

See I was trying not to call it the clitbutton but that's pretty much what it is, thinking about it. And this does work a bit better for controlling the camera but I'm still holding a grudge against it regardless.

Just spit on it first.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The little nub thing isn't perfect but it works pretty well for camera control, never used a circle pad pro or an old 3DS so I can't compare but yeah it does the job fine.

I've not fought anything larger than a Great Jaggi though so my opinion might change :shrug:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's working great for me at least, and I'm in HR stuff. Not sure if my maining the glaive would make the nub's issues better or worse, but other than occasionally screwing up vertical panning with it before I got used to it I've had no problems with it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I prefer the nub to the CPP honestly.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

cat doter posted:

I loving hate fighting khezus

that is all

Same. Except I actively suck at fighting them. I think they know how bad I was at Gigginox. Triple carted to the two of them yesterday, working on a second run with Hunting Horn now and already have two carts. We'll see what happens. I miss port town lady, I need to buy piles of poo poo.

EDIT: Yup, triple carted again. I really shouldn't have continued fighting them together, but alas for being dumb. I never triple carted, like, at all in MH3U so this is very humbling/frustrating.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 25, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Stupid nub was always too slick for me to get it to work, so I glued a small strip of sandpaper to it.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Which is better overall the Zinogre or Stygian Zinogre guitar? I'm not lacking in dragon damage and the songs in the base Zin guitar seem better when the line diverges. Does this change later?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

How many seltas queens must I butcher before I get my goddamn extract? I have weapons to upgrade!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Khezu is a really boring fight, that seems really easy until he suddenly paralyzes you and then chain body slams you to death. I miss gigginox, he was a much more active and exciting fight.

E: I also miss Duramboros, and would like to trade him for gravios

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 25, 2015

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Stormgale posted:

Just to act as a counterpoint This is the most insane Guard point based play I have ever seen and it is glorious.

Somebody call PETM :stare:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Pomp posted:

Camera, lock on, large item bar, signal to GET YOUR loving CATS AND THE MONSTER AWAY FROM THE ZONE EXIT/small item bar

Look at this scrub that needs to use the touchpad to move his camera. :smugbert:

CJacobs posted:

Swap your ZR and ZL to Camera Right/Left and just use those. I actually have mostly stopped using the nub at all, between lock-on to center and those buttons to rotate.

CJacobs posted:

Another goon, angry at the clit. Film at 11.

Drythe posted:

Stupid nub was always too slick for me to get it to work, so I glued a small strip of sandpaper to it.

It's like the inverse of what it resembles, you don't want to get it wet.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 25, 2015

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
So, does LR Shagaru Magala always reward commendations, or am I just obscenely lucky? I've beaten if 3 times now and gotten a commendation on every run.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Roland Jones posted:

It's working great for me at least, and I'm in HR stuff. Not sure if my maining the glaive would make the nub's issues better or worse, but other than occasionally screwing up vertical panning with it before I got used to it I've had no problems with it.

As a glaive user in g rank, no issues. Press L to lock on, nub for fine camera control, just like any other weapon.

All you nerds mad at the clit need to learn to embrace it.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The c-stick is a godsend for those little up-down adjustments you need to make all the time to get a better look at the monster. For me the lock-on is just my shortcut for doing 180 snaps on the camera.

I'm surprised to see so many people hating on the nub, actually - in the three games I've used it for so far (MH4, MM3D and Resi Revelations) it's done its job perfectly. Are people just mad it isn't a tactile joystick?

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:

enojy posted:

You've over committed, because there's at least 750 hours in this game, probably more since it's the largest in the series

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

The c-stick is a godsend for those little up-down adjustments you need to make all the time to get a better look at the monster. For me the lock-on is just my shortcut for doing 180 snaps on the camera.

I'm surprised to see so many people hating on the nub, actually - in the three games I've used it for so far (MH4, MM3D and Resi Revelations) it's done its job perfectly. Are people just mad it isn't a tactile joystick?

i'm a huge fan of it too, i have a few problems pointing down but that more stems from the fact that i bite my nails

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

I had a few issues with the c stick to start with but now i have gotten used to it is perfect imo.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Ashtarath posted:

I had a few issues with the c stick to start with but now i have gotten used to it is perfect imo.

I didn't really start using it until recently. used to use the targeting. Now i barely use L anymore

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Glowku posted:

I didn't really start using it until recently. used to use the targeting. Now i barely use L anymore

I do a healthy mix of both, but I usually just use L for monsters that love to jump behind people, or if I have to roll through a monsters legs to avoid an attack.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

L targeting is my "where the gently caress did it go" option.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

L targeting is my "where the gently caress did it go" option.

frenziedtigrex.txt

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I expect there to be a dozen ShapeWays products for the C-Stick within a month, but the only (hypothetical) one I'm really interested in is some kind of (by necessity very thin, for clearence reasons) rubber cap that copies the ThinkPad texture for added top grip.

Heck, I'd even entertain the notion of opening the system up and replacing the existing rubber nub with a textured alternative.

But yes, I do largely rely on the target cam for keeping track of a monster on the horizontal axis, and have also set ZL and ZR to perform fast manual camera spins. I mostly use the c-stick for vertical adjustments, for reframing the camera in more subtle ways in real time, and of course for situations when the lock-on is unavailable or unhelpful, such as during harvesting or against Alatreon-scale motherfuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So low rank insect glaives. I'm basically just kinda stuck with the default weapon for a while aren't I.

• Locked thread