Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Febreeze posted:

I guess re-designing the NFL helmets is the newest trend now that re-doing logos isn't hip anymore

Let this dude have his super lame 15 minutes, you had yours and then some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

What is the deal with just enormous oversized misplaced logos? Bad trend imo

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
i think the giants helmet and the jets helmet would be cool if the logo was removed

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

nerve posted:

Let this dude have his super lame 15 minutes, you had yours and then some

I'm not jealous of the attention he's getting, I just find his work uninspiring. I was also just commenting on the current trend that seems to pop up. It was re-doing logos for a couple years there but lately we've been getting these re-done helmets instead (These, the ones from two days ago, and the Star Wars ones from a few months ago that were actually really good)

The Notorious ZSB posted:

What is the deal with just enormous oversized misplaced logos? Bad trend imo

Maybe it started before the Bucs new helmet but that's where I first saw it and it looks good there.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Somebody (maybe Darth Brooks), mentioned that once a team takes Navy's helmet style, they win all helmets. Well, that dude sort of put it on the Patriots. Imagine that helmet with the red jerseys and white pants.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
That Rams one is pretty bad assed. The rest are hilariously and probably intentional bad.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I do think this dude did a better job blowing up the logos than the other guy did. He didn't just double the size and slap it on, he brought the huge size to it's logical conclusion so a lot of the animal ones are just eyes and such and the shapes and lines from the logos create natural lines on the helmet that work way better. It brings the logo to such a size that they become more abstract shapes on the helmet instead of just obscenely huge logos, and at that size abstract shapes work a little nicer.

The Seahawks helmet is a good example of doing it right. The eye takes up where the whole logo used to be, and the lines of the beak isolate the top blue section and the bottom white section. I think it works pretty well here. The Panthers, Cards and Bengals helmets also work. The Jags helmet im not sold on, but it's more interesting than their current abomination.

This guy's issue, as opposed to the other guy, is that he is playing around with textures to an unnecessary degree. Why does the Rams helmet have a texture with weird diagonal lines? The new york skyline helmet is an interesting idea but the logo itself is kind of tucked down and to the side for some reason. The Matte black on the Ravens looks bad, but that might actually look okay in real life. The Dolphins helmet would actually look really nice if the water on the bottom wasn't there. The colors on the chargers helmet are really nice, but the lighting makes it look goofy.

These are better than the other guy. Only a few bad clunkers. The Green Bay cheese helmet is just gross, and the Bears Helmet with the C in front is just strange (He didn't even center it properly). The Vikings Helmet is an interesting concept, it just didn't work out and it looks really goofy. I have no idea what the hell is going on with the texture on the Bucs helmet. I see what he was trying to do with the Falcons helmet, but he probably should have re-designed the wings first.

The Jets one just makes me laugh. Same with the Titans, the Titans helmet would look cooler if he removed the T part and just had the flames coming off of the sides, probably a little bigger.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Febreeze posted:

I do think this dude did a better job blowing up the logos than the other guy did. He didn't just double the size and slap it on, he brought the huge size to it's logical conclusion so a lot of the animal ones are just eyes and such and the shapes and lines from the logos create natural lines on the helmet that work way better. It brings the logo to such a size that they become more abstract shapes on the helmet instead of just obscenely huge logos, and at that size abstract shapes work a little nicer.

The Seahawks helmet is a good example of doing it right. The eye takes up where the whole logo used to be, and the lines of the beak isolate the top blue section and the bottom white section. I think it works pretty well here. The Panthers, Cards and Bengals helmets also work. The Jags helmet im not sold on, but it's more interesting than their current abomination.

This guy's issue, as opposed to the other guy, is that he is playing around with textures to an unnecessary degree. Why does the Rams helmet have a texture with weird diagonal lines? The new york skyline helmet is an interesting idea but the logo itself is kind of tucked down and to the side for some reason. The Matte black on the Ravens looks bad, but that might actually look okay in real life. The Dolphins helmet would actually look really nice if the water on the bottom wasn't there. The colors on the chargers helmet are really nice, but the lighting makes it look goofy.

These are better than the other guy. Only a few bad clunkers. The Green Bay cheese helmet is just gross, and the Bears Helmet with the C in front is just strange (He didn't even center it properly). The Vikings Helmet is an interesting concept, it just didn't work out and it looks really goofy. I have no idea what the hell is going on with the texture on the Bucs helmet. I see what he was trying to do with the Falcons helmet, but he probably should have re-designed the wings first.

The Jets one just makes me laugh. Same with the Titans, the Titans helmet would look cooler if he removed the T part and just had the flames coming off of the sides, probably a little bigger.

He made a Packers helmet with cheese.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Febreeze has also literally done that

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Actually like the Titans, and Texans helmets, everything else can go though.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

nerve posted:

Febreeze has also literally done that

Helmets =/= logos

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Febreeze posted:

Helmets =/= logos

what about uniforms

e: yes i remember those uniforms were mostly (all?) jokes

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

nerve posted:

what about uniforms

e: yes i remember those uniforms were mostly (all?) jokes

That's true, I did the Green Bay uniform with the cheese hole pants, and it's just as stupid as this cheese hole helmet, looking back on it. At least I meant it to be terrible, I still can't be sure how seriously this designer meant to take these things. None of them feel like obvious jokes.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I think this guy forgets that the helmets should be visible from Row ZZZZ in the stadium. All the intricate patterns and designs will be lost to anyone not holding the helmet in their hands or watching a closeup on TV at home.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

D C posted:

I think this guy forgets that the helmets should be visible from Row ZZZZ in the stadium. All the intricate patterns and designs will be lost to anyone not holding the helmet in their hands or watching a closeup on TV at home.

teams stopped giving a gently caress about what you can see from your seats a long time ago. a few might have good sightlines and poo poo but the future is gigantic jerryworld sized monitors in the stadiums themselves so you can see what's happening. all of it is designed for TV and internet media these days and everything else is secondary.

also yes i'm still bitter about how loving garbage lucas oil was

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
NCAA just passed a rule banning crop top jerseys

quote:

Officials will treat illegal equipment issues – such as jerseys tucked under the shoulder pads or exposed back pads – by making the player leave the field for at least one play. The equipment must be corrected for the player to return to the game. The player may remain in the game if his team takes a timeout to correct the equipment issue.

:rip:

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

I'm glad the NCAA are addressing these pressing issues.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Tbf I think it looked stupid as hell

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The NCAA's irrational war with the 90s Hurricanes continues unabated.

Jimmy Johnson still completely oblivious to it.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Wait, tucking your jersey under your shoulder pads will be illegal? Doesn't every player in the league do this?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Wait, tucking your jersey under your shoulder pads will be illegal? Doesn't every player in the league do this?

They're saying that if they shoulder pad is exposed, not if you have the jersey over the pad then tuck excess under.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That happens like every 3 plays to someone and is quickly remedied by a nearby teammate or a coach. Why was this brought up as a problem?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

DJExile posted:

That happens like every 3 plays to someone and is quickly remedied by a nearby teammate or a coach. Why was this brought up as a problem?

It's not the accidental stuff. Or maybe it is. Who gives a gently caress, it's the NCAA and nothing they do makes sense.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
What's the deal with Pro-Line vs Nike Jerseys? The pictures on NFL.com make the Pro-Line Bucs jerseys look like a way different shade of red from the Nike ones. Is it that noticeable in person? Do they feel different?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We have less than a week to find out if Nike murdered one of the best uniforms in sports.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Donte Whitner's tweet about 9 different color combinations or whatever is kind of scary and kind of encouraging in my mind. It means at least one or two will probably be the classic Browns combinations. Someone with a better understanding of math could probably say what the different variables are if we assume there are 4 pieces we're working with here.

Helmet 1
Jersey 1, 2, 3?
Pants 1, 2, 3?
Socks (maybe?) 1, 2, 3?, 4?

How many of each of those adds up to nine different combinations? I think

Helmet 1
Jersey 1, 2
Pants 1, 2, 3
Socks 1, 2, 3

adds up to more than nine.

CatfishClyde
Jul 22, 2001
Orange Rhyming Dictionary
Unless I'm mistaken, Seattle has 9 combinations (excluding different socks) with their blue, white, and grey jerseys.

Browns might do the same? With an orange alternate.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Browns going to reveal that they have the back catalog of Oregon's uniforms with the O's peeled off, dyed brown

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Orange, Brown, White, and new Gun Metal Grey = Colors

I'm sure Grey pants is going to be in there.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
The Bengals tweeted this

The reveal rules and is very relevant to this thread:
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-reveal-NEW-logo-for-2015/bee575b1-a6cb-48b1-a5b6-e65be3939058

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Colts did something like that too.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Indianapolis-Colts-Unveil-New-Uniform-Design-for-2015/35260c6b-316d-478d-9d67-11e9feb6dddf

quote:

The new base uniform color is white. In that same color are accents that in the past have been rendered in Colts blue: both the stripes on the jersey and pants, numbers, etc. Though the colors are the same the shadows of the stitched elements add a subtle depth to the uniform. This strategy allows the individual to fade into the background and the unit as a whole to be seen.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

:golfclap: I feel like that description is a subtle jab at the Jags, but I can't decide exactly why I'm getting that feeling.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Chichevache posted:

:golfclap: I feel like that description is a subtle jab at the Jags, but I can't decide exactly why I'm getting that feeling.

Because the Jags have awful helmets

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

need to get me a Rex Vest.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Browns' problems:
A criminal owner
Their idiot GM has been suspended
Their coach has a shorter life expectancy than some insects
They're in the most consistently brutal division since expansion
their QB is in rehab
Their WR is suspended until judgement day
Pitied by literally everyone
Stuck in a purgatory of shittyness without ever attaining a #1 pick

The Browns strengths:
Fans who will literally take anything
The best uniforms in football

One of these is rectified in thirty minutes.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Based out of Cleveland, OH

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

They are broadcasting the reveal on TV live at 7:30.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Hockles fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 15, 2015

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I want to say those are the worst jerseys in the league, but Tampa has that digital clock font

• Locked thread