Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MikeJF posted:

THANKS PEGGY Howard promised me a cure for cancer and an instant abs pill from that blood and now all we have are superfish.

Namor gonna show up at the end of Avengers 2 pissed off about having to wage war against super-fish the last 70 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Now Howard and SSR are getting along I look forward to Souza getting the mechanical leg Howard promised him.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gonna second the whole "this show owned and deserves more seasons" talk. That season was a lot of fun and Hayley Atwell was great in her expanded role.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
That's actually something, with AoS back next week, do we know if the good Doctor Zabo will be returning as well? Please say yes because Kyle MacLachlan was one of the major high points of the first half of the season.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Namor gonna show up at the end of Avengers 2 pissed off about having to wage war against super-fish the last 70 years.

Stark switched the vial before Jarvis got to it. Peggy dumped water corn starch and food dye.

Can't believe the series is already over :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Y'know, I reckon I might give Agents of SHIELD another go. But... what can I skip in season 1? I hear everything from 17 on is good.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 25, 2015

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

MikeJF posted:

Y'know, I reckon I might give Agents of SHIELD another go. But... what can I skip in season 1? I hear everything from 17 on is good.

I'd start with Episode 14 "T.A.H.I.T.I." and go from there.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

jng2058 posted:

I'd start with Episode 14 "T.A.H.I.T.I." and go from there.

If you go back and look at every episode it's kind of impressive how each one introduced something important to the on going plot and character backgrounds even if we didn't know it at the time.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Sorry if this got asked and I missed it but what was the big silver flashlight/radar gun looking thing that Stark picked up in the lab and said "this is fine here" about? They highlighted it in the last episode as well IIRC and I got the feeling that it's some important or dumb thing/joke/shout-out from the comics, but I forgot to look it up after the episode last week.

VDay fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 25, 2015

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

If you go back and look at every episode it's kind of impressive how each one introduced something important to the on going plot and character backgrounds even if we didn't know it at the time.

They're not worth watching, the payoff isn't that great and the episodes themselves are dull.

Also Agent Carter was more enjoyable than SHIELD, really hope thats not the end of that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VDay posted:

Sorry if this got asked and I missed it but what was the big silver flashlight/radar gun looking thing that Stark picked up in the lab and said "this is fine here" about? They highlighted it in the last episode as well IIRC and I got the feeling that it's some important or dumb thing/joke/shout-out from the comics, but I forgot to look it up after the episode last week.

I think it was just a joke. It was lying on its right side and he put it down on its left to make it safe and acted like the SSR people were idiots for not knowing that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

PriorMarcus posted:

Eh, not really. They were important in the sense that some of the later episodes will utilize existing plot devices or characters in service of new stories, but not in the sense that these plot devices and characters were somehow crucial to the overall storyarc. Like...sure, the Asgardian staff pops up again under Hydra's possession after they take over SHIELD, and Blizzard returns in season 2 with superpowers after the events of season 1, but that doesn't mean their first episodes were "setting up" something important somehow. It just means this is a serialized TV show that sometimes follows up on events from former episodes.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 25, 2015

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I'd be happy with one final season of Carter, just finishing with her finally in charge. If we don't get that I want her in every Marvel film.

It's just a fun show which is well made. I hope this bodes well for the upcoming miniseries.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Would have loved to have gotten a closer view of that flying wing in the hanger. Looked like mix of the Horten Ho 229 and the Bugati Model 100.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MikeJF posted:

THANKS PEGGY Howard promised me a cure for cancer and an instant abs pill from that blood and now all we have are superfish.

Well now we know who's responsible for all this Lenovo malware.

BrianWilly posted:

Eh, not really. They were important in the sense that some of the later episodes will utilize existing plot devices or characters in service of new stories, but not in the sense that these plot devices and characters were somehow crucial to the overall storyarc. Like...sure, the Asgardian staff pops up again under Hydra's possession after they take over SHIELD, and Blizzard returns in season 2 with superpowers after the events of season 1, but that doesn't mean their first episodes were "setting up" something important somehow. It just means this is a serialized TV show that sometimes follows up on events from former episodes.

That's the literal definition of 'setting up'.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorilla Salad posted:

Would have loved to have gotten a closer view of that flying wing in the hanger. Looked like mix of the Horten Ho 229 and the Bugati Model 100.

Northrop N-9M, son! As well as a P-51d in JJ Grant's colours, a P-51A "Miss Virginia" and the F4U-1 Corsair 799

I think they are all at the Planes of Fame collection in Chino

Howard and Jervis both took off in the same plane, btw.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 25, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That's it! :doh:

I knew there was an American flying wing but I just couldn't bring it into focus.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorilla Salad posted:

That's it! :doh:

I knew there was an American flying wing but I just couldn't bring it into focus.

It still flies too :)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

MikeJF posted:

His attempt to make thermal underwear resulted in a bomb vest. You're probably better off.

MikeJF posted:

Now Howard and SSR are getting along I look forward to Souza getting the mechanical leg Howard promised him.

It works great, it can run 60 miles per hour all on its own! The only problem is that the rest of him CAN'T run 60 miles per hour.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MikeJF posted:

I think it was just a joke. It was lying on its right side and he put it down on its left to make it safe and acted like the SSR people were idiots for not knowing that.
That and maybe Howard has a little OCD issues

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
He has a pill for that, but it gives you dysentery.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
He has a tonic for the dysentery, but it causes earthquakes.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Serious question: Aside from Project Rebirth, which piggybacked off of Erskine's research, what have we seen Howard Stark build that actually worked as intended? Seems like everything either breaks in short order or has a ludicrously dangerous side effect.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Serious question: Aside from Project Rebirth, which piggybacked off of Erskine's research, what have we seen Howard Stark build that actually worked as intended? Seems like everything either breaks in short order or has a ludicrously dangerous side effect.

Everything else that he sells, and makes his millions and millions off of?

They raided his vault of unstable and dangerous things that he didn't want found. What else do you expect to find in a vault of unstable and dangerous things?

He's a weapons and military man, what we are seeing in this show is his side projects and random failed prototypes, that because of his lack of a wanting to destroy them he kept stored and locked away.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

The original larger Arc Reactor? Though he couldn't make it economic in the70s.

Nitramene did exactly what it was intended to. Kablooey.

Given his immense fortune and the respect his skills are accorded, I assume he's created a shitload of things that we've just never seen because they work.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Bruceski posted:

Now that I think about it, did the gatling pistol ever get used?

Pretty sure it was used by that dude who eventually got killed by Dottie. He killed one of the henchmen that delivered Howard to Penny and Jarvis.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Dexo posted:

They raided his vault of unstable and dangerous things that he didn't want found. What else do you expect to find in a vault of unstable and dangerous things?

He's a weapons and military man, what we are seeing in this show is his side projects and random failed prototypes, that because of his lack of a wanting to destroy them he kept stored and locked away.

Exactly.
He made Cap's shield and that worked OK :)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dexo posted:

It just seems to me like a "show, don't tell" problem.

MikeJF posted:

The original larger Arc Reactor? Though he couldn't make it economic in the70s.

Nitramene did exactly what it was intended to. Kablooey.

Given his immense fortune and the respect his skills are accorded, I assume he's created a shitload of things that we've just never seen because they work.

If you can't make a reactor economic in the middle of the Energy Crisis, it's a failure.

The nitramene was in the vault because it couldn't be made into a weapon for whatever reason, so as an attempt to make a practical explosive it's a failure.

And he presented Steve Rogers with three shield options, all of which he discarded in favor of a slab of (very expensive) scrap metal lying in the corner.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 25, 2015

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
He made Tony Stark. Although Tony eventually breaks down with ludicrously dangerous side effects, ...

MikeJF posted:

Pretty much. Everyone probably has a Stark (TM) radio, or wall clock, or toaster, etc, etc. He makes millions with government contracts and billions with consumer products.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

BLASPHEMY!!!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Inkspot posted:

Pretty much. Everyone probably has a Stark (TM) radio, or wall clock, or toaster, etc, etc. He makes millions with government contracts and billions with consumer products.

They should've plonked the SI logo on more background items in Agent Carter. They seem happy to do it all the time in every modern MCU entry.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So she learned to let go of Captain America? That is her character growth / arc I guess? Because she got the respect of her male coworkers for like 5 seconds before the new boss takes all the credit and the status quo is pretty much restored. I guess they will listen to her ideas in private but then in public take all the credit. Then she says it doesn't bother her because she doesn't care what they think but she already had that attitude at the beginning of the show.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
She seems to be recognized by her co-workers know, she's just not given any credit beyond the agency at this point.

Her main arc though was putting Steve behind her, she also got her professional life to a better place, where even if she's not publicly lauded, she is respected by those she works with again.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So she learned to let go of Captain America? That is her character growth / arc I guess? Because she got the respect of her male coworkers for like 5 seconds before the new boss takes all the credit and the status quo is pretty much restored. I guess they will listen to her ideas in private but then in public take all the credit. Then she says it doesn't bother her because she doesn't care what they think but she already had that attitude at the beginning of the show.

She can stay out past 10 p.m. now and have men above the first floor. That's a pretty significant arc.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

She can stay out past 10 p.m. now and have men above the first floor. That's a pretty significant arc.

More importantly she can also have men below the first floor too if you know what I mean

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Dalael posted:

Pretty sure it was used by that dude who eventually got killed by Dottie. He killed one of the henchmen that delivered Howard to Penny and Jarvis.

I think he was asking if Dottie used it after stealing it from the dude. I don't remember her using it after that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm really glad Howard decided to destroy his things at the end because he very frankly should be arrested as a menace if he hadn't. Hell, I was on Dr. Faustus' side by the middle of the episode. You're trying to make a chemical that replicates the effects of "strong coffee" and it turns people into crazed berserkers? Why is the army even going to him to invent chemicals? Isn't he an engineer?? This is that movie thing where every scientist is automatically good at every kind of science, isn't it?

Aphrodite posted:

That's the literal definition of 'setting up'.
It is not, however, the literal definition of setting up something important, as I said. Things like Ward's brother, Skye's background, and bits and pieces about Coulson's condition, for instance, do set up factors that are important to the ongoing plot. But the fact that some characters or things might (possibly) (maybe) appear more than once on this serialized show (at some point) (after however many episodes) doesn't net AoS any brownie points. That's literally how serialized stories work; it'd be weird if AoS didn't do those things.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

BrianWilly posted:

I'm really glad Howard decided to destroy his things at the end because he very frankly should be arrested as a menace if he hadn't. Hell, I was on Dr. Faustus' side by the middle of the episode. You're trying to make a chemical that replicates the effects of "strong coffee" and it turns people into crazed berserkers? Why is the army even going to him to invent chemicals? Isn't he an engineer?? This is that movie thing where every scientist is automatically good at every kind of science, isn't it?
It is not, however, the literal definition of setting up something important, as I said. Things like Ward's brother, Skye's background, and bits and pieces about Coulson's condition, for instance, do set up factors that are important to the ongoing plot. But the fact that some characters or things might (possibly) (maybe) appear more than once on this serialized show (at some point) (after however many episodes) doesn't net AoS any brownie points. That's literally how serialized stories work; it'd be weird if AoS didn't do those things.

Howard Stark is a comic book super scientist! But I totally agree with you about him. It kind of sucks that it took him realizing that the gas was going to be used against American citizens for him to realize that maybe he shouldn't be keeping stuff like that around, even though it killed tons of people during the war when it wasn't supposed to.

On your second point about setting stuff up, 100% agree. The berserker staff had no real purpose and it only appeared again for like one scene toward the end of the season. I highly doubt the writers wrote an entire episode around it just so they could use it during a fight scene later in the season. Because that is what setting up actually means. You plant something earlier in a story knowing that there will be a pay off for it later. The staff being used later on was just a callback, which is not the same thing as a pay off.

I hope AC comes back in some form next year. They have a great cast, and the show has a lot of fun moments. My biggest gripe with the season was that all this Leviathan talk boiled down to one dude having a personal vendetta against Stark, even though what was at stake seemed so much bigger than that. All of Stark's inventions, Cap's blood, Red Room, mind control powers, a government cover up, and it all came down to one guy wanting to make Stark be sad for the rest of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think the earlier episodes of Shield are good enough to power through without having to wait a week or several weeks between episodes especially with the knowledge that the show gets good before the end of s1.

But everyone is going to prioritize their time a little differently so do whatever works for ya. If you're a comics fan who isn't watching the show though you're missing some great tv so get into it however you have to get into it.

• Locked thread