Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Uznare posted:

People who enjoy FMA over FMA:B are probably also the kind of people that enjoy Eureka Seven: AO. Seeing as both of them share the same lead writer, are neverending piles of poo poo and misery, and have retarded endings.

Except I've never actually seen anyone have a single good thing to say about AO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Started looking at Katanagatari at Cantaloupe's recommendation, just finished Ep 1. There was a stretch in the middle where I was tempted to yell at the screen for everyone to stop yammering and throw a bloody punch, but the rest? Think this one's gonna be a keeper. Art style's neat, music is great, I really enjoyed the fight choreography once they finally got to blows, and Schichika and Togame look primed for an...interesting relationship.

Schichika's supremely casual "I love you" and Togame's "Yep" at the end of the episode was kind of awkward and also supremely Warm and Fuzzy. :3:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Excellent.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I enjoy poo poo and misery in my shows, which is why I prefer FMA over FMA:B.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Started looking at Katanagatari at Cantaloupe's recommendation, just finished Ep 1. There was a stretch in the middle where I was tempted to yell at the screen for everyone to stop yammering and throw a bloody punch, but the rest? Think this one's gonna be a keeper. Art style's neat, music is great, I really enjoyed the fight choreography once they finally got to blows, and Schichika and Togame look primed for an...interesting relationship.

Schichika's supremely casual "I love you" and Togame's "Yep" at the end of the episode was kind of awkward and also supremely Warm and Fuzzy. :3:

this show is so loving good
:words: and all

...or because of all that talking. Both perhaps.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Except I've never actually seen anyone have a single good thing to say about AO.

It looked good.

It was also poo poo.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh yeah, watch the previews-they sometimes put important stuff there.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

It looked like it might be great around episode four/five. And then they introducted Truth(?) and man did I ever regret having any feelings of optimism like two episodes later.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Just started watching Yu Yu Hakusho and im enjoying it so far.

Kuwabara owns.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

linall posted:

It looked like it might be great around episode four/five. And then they introducted Truth(?) and man did I ever regret having any feelings of optimism like two episodes later.

I know this is kind of a "star wars fanboy" reaction but my feelings about AO begin and end with the huge watery poo poo it took all over the original series and its great ending. I didn't make it far enough into the series to reach the character everyone complains about; the premise in the first episode was enough for me to write off the whole thing.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
There was not a human being on planet earth more angry at pocketful of rainbows when that came out, and when AO came out all of my anime pals were ribbing me about it and the only reaction i could give them was limp, exhausted, despair

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i didnt watch any of the eureka seven things that werent the main series and i feel that was wise

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It was, however you should listen to the AO soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJdERiK97Z0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPl9evfmD1A

Also some of the mech designs are cool.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Srice posted:

I enjoy poo poo and misery in my shows, which is why I prefer FMA over FMA:B.

Pretty much.

I just hate how they more or less coast for the first chunk of the series in FMAB that the original covered, totally ruining those first couple dramatic beats.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad that no one will ever make a sequel to my favorite anime and it can remain pure.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Any good romantic comedies out recently? I'm looking for something nice and fluffy to watch, without a lot of drama.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

monthly girl's nozaki-kun if you don't mind an emphasis on the comedy

it hasn't aired yet but Ore Monogatari will be amazing and exactly what you want

uhh... Servant x Service was fun? not sure just how recent you mean by recent

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Any good romantic comedies out recently? I'm looking for something nice and fluffy to watch, without a lot of drama.
*tugs collar, wonders if chihayafuru counts*

coathat
May 21, 2007

My little monster, Kamisama Kiss, and Nozaki are all good.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

muike posted:

There was not a human being on planet earth more angry at pocketful of rainbows when that came out, and when AO came out all of my anime pals were ribbing me about it and the only reaction i could give them was limp, exhausted, despair

What were the worst points of AO?

I skimmed through a few random episodes while playing vidya and it just seemed like a mishmash of its predecessors/betters. DRAGOONs, blatant Eva parallels, etc.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Katanagatari Episode 2 down - If nobody minds, I think I might keep posting my trip report in here.

-Schichika's first grand plan for taking down Uneri was pretty great. "...That plan involves me getting cut in half!" "Yeah...That's why I was beginning to think it might not work." :allears:

-"Sure, I'll show you it...'However, by that point you'll have been torn into pieces'. :smug:" What a badass. :swoon:

-Schichika then launches himself backwards to avoid Uneri's attack, then pinballs off of Togame's face to move back in. What a badass!!:swoon::allears::swoon:

-In all seriousness: Schichika: What a badass. He kind of reminds me of Ginko from Mushishi if Ginko were dumb and knew kung-fu. Something about how easy they both make it look.

-Also, the production as a whole remains really, really cool. I love the music and the choreography a whole lot.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Echoing Nozaki-kun. It's super good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

While I love Nozaki-kun I feel I should point out that it's 99% comedy, there's practically zero progression in the romantic side of things in the anime and we're maybe only just getting some in the manga.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the main romance in Nozaki-kun, me and Mikorin, is actually progressing quite nicely

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Truthism is getting an anime so watch that when it happens!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

There will be no justice in this world until the Truthism manga gets licensed. Who gives a poo poo about the anime when you can't even buy the drat book

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

Pretty much.

I just hate how they more or less coast for the first chunk of the series in FMAB that the original covered, totally ruining those first couple dramatic beats.

The people making FMA:B should have just pretended that the first series didn't exist at all because yeah, that first chunk is not good.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Endorph posted:

*tugs collar, wonders if chihayafuru counts*

Chihayafuru always counts. Besides, it's romantic beats are almost all comedic.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Katanagatari Episode 2 down - If nobody minds, I think I might keep posting my trip report in here.

-Schichika's first grand plan for taking down Uneri was pretty great. "...That plan involves me getting cut in half!" "Yeah...That's why I was beginning to think it might not work." :allears:

-"Sure, I'll show you it...'However, by that point you'll have been torn into pieces'. :smug:" What a badass. :swoon:

-Schichika then launches himself backwards to avoid Uneri's attack, then pinballs off of Togame's face to move back in. What a badass!!:swoon::allears::swoon:

-In all seriousness: Schichika: What a badass. He kind of reminds me of Ginko from Mushishi if Ginko were dumb and knew kung-fu. Something about how easy they both make it look.

-Also, the production as a whole remains really, really cool. I love the music and the choreography a whole lot.

Please do keep posting these, i adore that show and it's fun to read your reactions.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Spiritus Nox posted:

This was the exact episode and scene that finally made me learn how to make custom timing animated GIFs.

Fun historical note: as the show was airing there were lots of dissenting opinions on the art style. Anime was really homogenized 5 years ago (more than anime is by default) and Katanagatari was one of the first to present a style that was familiar yet different.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I really like Katanagatari's format, the 12 episodes of an hour each over an entire year worked out well. I'm sure it is also great at your own pace, but that month of anticipation between chapters was something else.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

a kitten posted:

I really like Katanagatari's format, the 12 episodes of an hour each over an entire year worked out well. I'm sure it is also great at your own pace, but that month of anticipation between chapters was something else.

I'm sure it also helped keep the production values rather high - the show just animates really, really well. The choreography is interesting, too - through these first two episodes, the fights have been really short, but there's a lot of tense buildup to the main fight, and then it's really satisfying when things finally come to blows and Schichika just takes a motherfucker apart.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

There will be no justice in this world until the Truthism manga gets licensed. Who gives a poo poo about the anime when you can't even buy the drat book

Funny you should say that, because guess what just got licensed by Seven Seas.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

Funny you should say that, because guess what just got licensed by Seven Seas.

gakkou gurashi

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is katanagatari on one of the streaming sites or is the only legal way to watch to buy the blurays? I want to rewatch it

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

is katanagatari on one of the streaming sites or is the only legal way to watch to buy the blurays? I want to rewatch it

Not streaming anywhere and the blurays are like 200$ a pop because I think they may be out of print. Not that they were reasonably priced even before that.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

a kitten posted:

Not streaming anywhere and the blurays are like 200$ a pop because I think they may be out of print. Not that they were reasonably priced even before that.

RightStuf had each volume (of 2) at $52, which would give you free shipping. This is barely $10 more than your typical Funi/Sentai release of 12-13 episodes. I shudder to think what you think "reasonably priced" would be.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ultimatemegax posted:

RightStuf had each volume (of 2) at $52, which would give you free shipping. This is barely $10 more than your typical Funi/Sentai release of 12-13 episodes. I shudder to think what you think "reasonably priced" would be.

That isn't at all what I remembered, I'm sure I'm mixing it up with some other company's release of a different series.

Do they still have it? I couldn't find it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

a kitten posted:

That isn't at all what I remembered, I'm sure I'm mixing it up with some other company's release of a different series.

Do they still have it? I couldn't find it there.

It's out of print and out of stock at retailers who don't mark up rare stock. MSRP was $70, but RightStuf always puts NISA titles with that MSRP at $52 due to contracts worked out between them.

What you may be thinking about is the other -Monogatari series (Bake/Nise/Neko/etc) which are released from Aniplex of America at around $10 per episode (thus Bake at $150, Nise at $120, Neko Black/White at $50/60, etc).

• Locked thread