Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx
So started this game at the beginning of the month. I did the tutorial which I think is the most horrible tutorial Ive ever done (sry for pooping on your game) and AFK'd because wow these skills take a long time. Joined Blue Republic because the constant pvp that this Red versus Blue concept promises seemed attractive (plus I played HALO for thousands of hours, so nostalgia).

Now I am actually planning on logging in one of these days and trying the game out >.> (Also had to do with not having a reliable internet-connection, but gently caress yeah optic fibre this thursday).
Since my SA forum account is very new I cannot join the SA guild yet, so I was wondering if you any of you had some top 3 tips/coreskills for piloting a ship in addition to the general guides for a player who is mostly interested in pvp? I think I would like to end up in lower security space as this seems to be a very pvp accomodating environment.

Some of my RL friends do EVE and live mostly in high security space. They recommended Brave Newbies Inc. for a new player like me that is interested in pvp, but since they are based in lower security space I was kind of wary of joining them right away. At the moment I am considering Blue Republic for basics, Brave Newbies for getting used to low security space, then Goonswarm Federation for getting a wife and kids and settling down, whilst having a rapebasement. Please let me know if you think this is a decent career path.

P.S. Apologies for the wall-o-text and if I enjoy the game I as a creeper will try to get more active on the forums as apparently this is a requirement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Astaldo posted:

So started this game at the beginning of the month. I did the tutorial which I think is the most horrible tutorial Ive ever done (sry for pooping on your game) and AFK'd because wow these skills take a long time. Joined Blue Republic because the constant pvp that this Red versus Blue concept promises seemed attractive (plus I played HALO for thousands of hours, so nostalgia).

Now I am actually planning on logging in one of these days and trying the game out >.> (Also had to do with not having a reliable internet-connection, but gently caress yeah optic fibre this thursday).
Since my SA forum account is very new I cannot join the SA guild yet, so I was wondering if you any of you had some top 3 tips/coreskills for piloting a ship in addition to the general guides for a player who is mostly interested in pvp? I think I would like to end up in lower security space as this seems to be a very pvp accomodating environment.

Some of my RL friends do EVE and live mostly in high security space. They recommended Brave Newbies Inc. for a new player like me that is interested in pvp, but since they are based in lower security space I was kind of wary of joining them right away. At the moment I am considering Blue Republic for basics, Brave Newbies for getting used to low security space, then Goonswarm Federation for getting a wife and kids and settling down, whilst having a rapebasement. Please let me know if you think this is a decent career path.

P.S. Apologies for the wall-o-text and if I enjoy the game I as a creeper will try to get more active on the forums as apparently this is a requirement!

Hello friend.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

If you want to go the rapebasement route I heard TESTKarmafleet are recruiting.

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

Master Bateman posted:

Hello friend.

I'm scared because I'm not good at sarcasm, but hi.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Astaldo posted:

So started this game at the beginning of the month. I did the tutorial which I think is the most horrible tutorial Ive ever done (sry for pooping on your game)

EVE's new player experience is widely accepted to be worst in class. Recognizing that won't offend us.

quote:

and AFK'd because wow these skills take a long time. Joined Blue Republic because the constant pvp that this Red versus Blue concept promises seemed attractive (plus I played HALO for thousands of hours, so nostalgia).

Since my SA forum account is very new I cannot join the SA guild yet

Or quite possibly ever. Our super secret space club treehouse is for SA members who happen to play eve, not EVE players who happen to be on SA. If you want to play with goons, Karmafleet might be worth looking into. Minimal entry requirements (which have nothing to do with SP or skills) and you'll get to hang out with Goons straight away and also be in a corp designed specifically to cater to new players.

quote:

so I was wondering if you any of you had some top 3 tips/coreskills for piloting a ship in addition to the general guides for a player who is mostly interested in pvp? I think I would like to end up in lower security space as this seems to be a very pvp accomodating environment.

Apparently.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Astaldo posted:

Since my SA forum account is very new I cannot join the SA guild yet, so I was wondering if you any of you had some top 3 tips/coreskills for piloting a ship in addition to the general guides for a player who is mostly interested in pvp?

Go to Curse, Go to Curse, Go to Curse.

Lots of people, lots of friends to make, lots of things to shoot. The stations are well stocked due to vast amounts of PVE people.

You will die lots, but who cares, use lots of cheap frigs.

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

darth cookie posted:

EVE's new player experience is widely accepted to be worst in class. Recognizing that won't offend us.

Or quite possibly ever. Our super secret space club treehouse is for SA members who happen to play eve, not EVE players who happen to be on SA. If you want to play with goons, Karmafleet might be worth looking into. Minimal entry requirements (which have nothing to do with SP or skills) and you'll get to hang out with Goons straight away and also be in a corp designed specifically to cater to new players.

Apparently.

I have barely posted, but thusfar I am very happy with the discovery of the SA-community. If you guys are wary of new people in EVE I will of course go about my way in the game and the SA-community as a whole.

As far as my incentive to be more active on the forums goes, I see why this might be a little off. I am always a bit reluctant to post and motivation to be an active member of a social group should (now that I think about it for 5 secs) not be caused by some external entity consisting of members of that group.
Anytime I have been motivated to post (yes I am a creeper) it was on gameforums (FFXI and other MMOs, mostly) where the motivation came from within the game so this is probably why I had a misconception about this, adding that SA is of course not just a gameforum. In the end I think it won' t be a problem since Im loving the forums and my only problem is to stop staring creepily while sucking on my appletini-straw and start dancing on the bar in my gimpsuit.

And EVE-wise thanks for the Karmafleet advice, I'll check them out.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Make sure to post your SA name in your Karmafleet application!

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

Hexyflexy posted:

Go to Curse, Go to Curse, Go to Curse.

Lots of people, lots of friends to make, lots of things to shoot. The stations are well stocked due to vast amounts of PVE people.

You will die lots, but who cares, use lots of cheap frigs.

Literally filled with Newbies to shoot at, miners in belts. It will be fun.

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

Thanks for pointing me to Karmafleet guys, looks like a cool place and I'll try to join up this evening. Bye high security space!

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
I'm reupping after a long absence from space and have already applied to join the swarm. Apparently in my multiple-year absence my old corp/alliance merged into one and joined MoA which my brother (who is a goon) thought was hilarious.

Question is this - I have a (currently subbed) ~40m pilot primarily with capital skills and can fly (if I plug in the books) all caldari/gallente caps short of Titans (still need a few support skills), but won't be flying a cap anytime soon. What're the easiest ways to make ISK to make it self-sufficient via PLEX? I don't get a lot of time online every week but I can invest several hours a day during most weekends and a few hours during the week.

I may resub my initially main character who is a far more competent combat pilot and can fly any t2 caldari/gallente through BS and smaller amarr t2 and has great gunnery skills etc, but he has less liquid isk and is not practical to sub currently. If/when I bring him back into the fold I'll use him for fleet flying/command ships predominantly.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

mcswizzle posted:

I'm reupping after a long absence from space and have already applied to join the swarm. Apparently in my multiple-year absence my old corp/alliance merged into one and joined MoA which my brother (who is a goon) thought was hilarious.

Question is this - I have a (currently subbed) ~40m pilot primarily with capital skills and can fly (if I plug in the books) all caldari/gallente caps short of Titans (still need a few support skills), but won't be flying a cap anytime soon. What're the easiest ways to make ISK to make it self-sufficient via PLEX? I don't get a lot of time online every week but I can invest several hours a day during most weekends and a few hours during the week.

I may resub my initially main character who is a far more competent combat pilot and can fly any t2 caldari/gallente through BS and smaller amarr t2 and has great gunnery skills etc, but he has less liquid isk and is not practical to sub currently. If/when I bring him back into the fold I'll use him for fleet flying/command ships predominantly.

Thanatos > Guristas Havens/hubs/sanctums. You can even AFK them.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

mcswizzle posted:

Once you have forum access, there's a great thread in the Home Economics section that lists pretty much all of the ways of making isk, along with their pros and cons, sp and isk requirements, etc.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Klyith posted:

The cloak may be more of a hindrance than a help actually, at least as a solo ship. A rapier is looking for frigs & destroyers to pick on, right? But between the targeting delay coming out of cloak and the very average cruiser scanres, they have a lot of time to warp away. 8-10 seconds for the most part.

Meanwhile you're in a very fragile ship that is in serious trouble if it turns out that your target has a friend, and costs as much as a much better general-purpose ship like a cynabal or HAC.

Anyways I think you're right that long range webs are the perfect counter to T3Ds fit with oversize ABs. People running lowsec frig gangs need to throw in a keres.

Rapier doesn't suffer a scanres penalty from fitting a cloak - it just has bad scanres.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

rapiers have sensor recal as well

cloaking 5, master race

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
Who do I talk to about my Standard Issue Thanatos?

Since my aim is becoming self sufficient via PLEX, the ISK I currently have an make in the immediate future will be going towards that. To that end, I plan on pvp'ing and getting re acclimated to the game while I have a chance, then anomaly/relic site/etc when I don't have people to fly with.

Eventually I'm hoping to be in a position to bank a few hundred mil each month or more, but until I can demonstrably outearn my isk requirements a new capital is off the table. Last time I played and flew capital ships I didn't have the income to support losing them (then I lost it) so I plan on having the right infrastructure in place before I get back into the seat.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Glory of Arioch posted:

rapiers have sensor recal as well

cloaking 5, master race

Yeah but it's still 5 seconds, which I don't think undermines his point. They're not insta recalibration like a bomber, so you need to be ready to decloak in anticipation of a nerd to shoot.

Anyway, because there's no penalty for fitting it, you'd have to have something really loving good to put into that highslot in its place to fly a cloakless rapier, considering that a covops cloaking device is one of the best loving modules in the entire game.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

ZekeNY posted:

Once you have forum access, there's a great thread in the Home Economics section that lists pretty much all of the ways of making isk, along with their pros and cons, sp and isk requirements, etc.

Yeah I saw that on the wiki. I'm just waiting for forum access (submitted on Sunday I think? Not sure what typical turnaround is)

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

mcswizzle posted:

Since my aim is becoming self sufficient via PLEX, the ISK I currently have an make in the immediate future will be going towards that. To that end, I plan on pvp'ing and getting re acclimated to the game while I have a chance, then anomaly/relic site/etc when I don't have people to fly with.

Eventually I'm hoping to be in a position to bank a few hundred mil each month or more, but until I can demonstrably outearn my isk requirements a new capital is off the table. Last time I played and flew capital ships I didn't have the income to support losing them (then I lost it) so I plan on having the right infrastructure in place before I get back into the seat.

If you're gonna be in goonwaffe, then pvp IS a way to make money as long as you're flying the right ships. double srp is a hell of a drug.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

mcswizzle posted:

I don't have a carrier myself, but the current words of wisdom are "you don't buy a carrier, you buy one and a replacement because you'll loving lose it" and "don't undock anything you cannot afford to lose."

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I don't have a carrier myself, but the current words of wisdom are "you don't buy a carrier, you buy one and a replacement because you'll loving lose it" and "don't undock anything you cannot afford to lose."

Those were words of wisdom when I played before as well, but the corp I was in, at the time of my flying the ship, did a partial reimbursement/replacement so when I lost it I got a payout, but my playtime had diminished so much prior to its loss that it was no longer practical to fly it (though it was during it's main lifespan).

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Holy poo poo I just realized we can get peacetime reimbursement for T3 Destroyers :captainpop:

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

grumplestiltzkin posted:

If you're gonna be in goonwaffe, then pvp IS a way to make money as long as you're flying the right ships. double srp is a hell of a drug.

double srp is a gateway drug to the much harder and more expensive drug: ~elite solo pvp~

Since I got hooked on machariels I've been logging in and running missions daily. :negative:

objectively bad fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 25, 2015

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

mcswizzle posted:

There is a thread about how to do it right in the Player vs Everything forum, and tons of cap builders in S-Mart. Buttes Capital Firm are pretty good dudes.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.
So, logged onto eve, checked siggy and there's two C3s in our chain. loving ace, I say to myself, let's go rat up some more isk towards the Thanatos fund in my speedy rattlesnake.

Logged onto TS3 and low and behold, a scout has found two rattlesnakes in a C4 relic site. Problem: bunch of guys are out in Geminate killing some dude's thanatos, so we get a gila/ishtar/cerb/ares(wtf) and go point these two rattlesnakes while the rest fly back. Boom goes one and two.

So, to recap. I wanted to go out into the C3s to use my rattlesnake to jew up some more funds towards my own jewing thanatos. Instead, we pointed two enemy rattlesnakes jewing so that our guys killing someone elses jewing thanatos could come back and help us kill these two.

Is this Eve telling me that jewing is bad and I should change my plans or what?!

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
https://zkillboard.com/br/28656/

:smug:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

how much logi did you have?

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

objectively bad posted:

double srp is a gateway drug to the much harder and more expensive drug: ~elite solo pvp~

Since I got hooked on machariels I've been logging in and running missions daily. :negative:

The 1b cap has caused me to fly shitloads of logi. If it werent for the fact that training logi 4 is completely pointless, I'd consider actually training logi, but theres still tons of other poo poo I want to do before spending that much time on such a situational skill.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

darth cookie posted:

how much logi did you have?

Just the one. It was an intense fight that lasted half an hour, with a lot of russian trash talking.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Just the one. It was an intense fight that lasted half an hour, with a lot of russian trash talking.

That feeling when you see local filling up with unreadable characters. It's like real tears, but only distorted

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Nicely done sir

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

How did you pull this off in Hisec?

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010

Voyager I posted:

How did you pull this off in Hisec?

Bets on can flipping. First two things to die were procurer and skiff.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Initially I was can flipping with a confessor, and that ended poorly because not only did I get webbed 3 or 4 times, but the entire mining blob assigned their drones onto me, which gave me limited engagements on all of them. I docked back up and got into my Gnosis and flew over and started killing them one at a time, refitting off my friend's Orca and using his other character's Osprey reps to stay alive. At one point I dipped into structure while overheating everything, but after I refit to more tank and killed the skiff, my tank started holding and I took my time with the Macharial and Orca.

After that, we sat on a gate while I sat in a suspect procurer (I knew those barge skills would come in handy some day) and waited for someone to shoot me. The goal was to get a limited engagement and then swap out for the gnosis that was in my friends Orca, which was right next to me. I ended up killing a Tengu, Pilgrim, Confessor, and a Stratios before my inevitable loss.

darth cookie posted:

Ghostriding with an untouchable orca alt in hisec. That's devious as hell.
It also gives me armor links. :getin:

1001 Arabian dicks fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 26, 2015

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Ghostriding with an untouchable orca alt in hisec. That's devious as hell.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Avatar/Globby's reshipping shenanigans are some of my favourite things to happen in the game in ages.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Klyith posted:

Anyways I think you're right that long range webs are the perfect counter to T3Ds fit with oversize ABs. People running lowsec frig gangs need to throw in a keres.
I assume you mean Hyena? I was about to go off on how bad the Hyena is before realizing that I haven't flown them since they buffed the EAFs. It looks a bit better on paper now, but I think for frigate-gang/anti-frigate applications other than gatecamp fastlocking, I'd still prefer the Hyuginn for its durability and range.

Klyith posted:

The cloak may be more of a hindrance than a help actually, at least as a solo ship. A rapier is looking for frigs & destroyers to pick on, right? But between the targeting delay coming out of cloak and the very average cruiser scanres, they have a lot of time to warp away. 8-10 seconds for the most part.

Meanwhile you're in a very fragile ship that is in serious trouble if it turns out that your target has a friend, and costs as much as a much better general-purpose ship like a cynabal or HAC.
If you're serious about catching frigs in a Rapier, a Smokescreen cloak and one recal rig gets you down to 4 seconds of recalibration, and you can fit a sensor booster in place of a painter without losing damage against 95% of the things you'll be killing. I used to run a sensorboosted Rapier for getting tackles on fast things, and these days you don't even have to sacrifice much if any durability thanks to the free XLASB. Are you going to catch frigates that are sitting still and paying attention? Probably not, but if they're MWDing or focused on something else, your chances are actually pretty good.

There's also the good ol' MWD bump out of cloak, which gives you a good 3-5 extra seconds, almost always guaranteeing a tackle. Nobody is so fast that they can start aligning/warping in under 2 seconds of being unexpectedly bumped, and you can have tackle on in ~6-7 with a sensor booster. Yeah, you might get counter-tackled, but as long as you're careful about what and when you bump, you'll make very short work of any frigate hull in the game. You can also go with an LASB dual-prop setup that will give you the ability to pull away.

Then there's the drop-cloak-on-warp-deceleration trick, so your recal is gone by the time you land, and the only warning they get that you're coming (barring a very unlikely dscan ping timing) is your final deceleration on grid, which is like 3 seconds. Of course this requires you to guess that you'll be landing in tackling range of something that you can see at a celestial on dscan, but it's certainly no worse than trying to catch things in a HAC or faction cruiser that they'll see coming 14AU away.

If ya'll are seriously going to try to spin a covops cloak into some kind of disadvantage, recalibration delay be damned, you're obviously not patient or creative enough. CommonShore is right, it's basically the best practical single module in the game-- especially in nullsec-- and Recon V lets you fit it literally for free, with the caveat that the ships fitting it are supposed to not be particularly tough and damaging. The current RLML Rapier clearly slipped through cracks in that regard, because it can equal a Cynabal's damage at 20-24km while tanking quite a bit more than the Cynabal's total EHP. While dictating range against pretty much anything.
(I just checked this, and even a 425mm 3xGyro 1xTE 2xAmbit Cynabal only outdamages it against large-sig cruisers in an envelope from 8-18km. Of course, the Cynabal can do a lot more than 30k damage in a single reload cycle, so it's not going to lose to a Rapier unless it's a sub-30k EHP fit.)

Is it the perfect solo ship? Of course not, but it's really amazing for a recon, and other than the Orthrus, it's easily the safest. Most people probably have no idea what it's capable of now, and will engage it in things that it can straight up beat.

After that, we sat on a gate while I sat in a suspect procurer (I knew those barge skills would come in handy some day) and waited for someone to shoot me. The goal was to get a limited engagement and then swap out for the gnosis that was in my friends Orca, which was right next to me. I ended up killing a Tengu, Pilgrim, Confessor, and a Stratios before my inevitable loss.
:stare:

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!
That was epic to follow. As I said in the miniluv channel, basically the opposite of the fleet I was in . 27 jumps there, 27 jumps back to kill this:

https://zkillboard.com/kill/44859725/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is it bad that I just now realized my industry alt can fly a Charon? Can't afford one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid

inkmoth posted:

Today I joined a gently caress You Fleet.

My vexor lived six minutes, got the killing blow on a Scimitar worth probably more than 4 times as much, and thanks to goon SRP, I should even make a profit.

Yep, I can tell already I'm going to be addicted to gently caress You Fleet.

Ya we rocked it 2 days ago. Good for newbs too they can just switch out to meta's

• Locked thread