Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It has nothing on "If It's Doomsday, It Must Be Belfast" (a.k.a. "Captain Planet Saves Belfast") for foreign representation as of Our Wee Country. :v:

I remember watching that episode as a kid and thinking, "This kid isn't even Irish. He's an American with red hair." I get the idea that America is made up of people whose families originated from lots of different places, but that kid had about as much to do with the conflict in Northern Ireland as I have to do with the Velvet Revolution in Czechoslovakia. (My great-grandmother was Czech.) Which is to say, not at all.

Also: the IRA tries to use a nuclear weapon, if I remember correctly. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Railing Kill posted:

It wasn't even the IRA. It was a street gang. See, based on that episode, the Troubles were basically the Jets and the Sharks. The Protestants burned down the Catholics' bakery, so one of the Catholics got the codes to activate a nuclear weapon Dr Blight (or whoever) had hidden, "Roight in da Prods' backyard! Hahahahaha!" (or something like that).

Said episode also used the epithet "Fenian Prods" which is actually kind of amazing.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Apollodorus posted:

RaspberryCommie - here is the list of "essentials + make you want more" I made for my students:

Good star treks for watching

Original Series (1966-1969)
1x08 Balance of Terror
1x24 Space Seed
1x28 City on the Edge of Forever
2x13 The Trouble with Tribbles
2x24 The Ultimate Computer
3x04 The Enterprise Incident

Any list of essential TOS episodes that doesn't include The Doomsday Machine is flawed.

And I realize that it doesn't make most people's TNG list, but Tin Man has always been a personal favourite of mine. Great concept, great story, great performance by the guest star, just a really nice example of how much Michael Piller improved the show.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Wheat Loaf posted:

It wasn't even the IRA. It was a street gang. See, based on that episode, the Troubles were basically the Jets and the Sharks. The Protestants burned down the Catholics' bakery, so one of the Catholics got the codes to activate a nuclear weapon Dr Blight (or whoever) had hidden, "Roight in da Prods' backyard! Hahahahaha!" (or something like that).

Said episode also used the epithet "Fenian Prods" which is actually kind of amazing.

Yesss I was hoping someone would bring that amazing Captain Planet episode up, it is some whole other level of magnificence.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Railing Kill posted:

I remember watching that episode as a kid and thinking, "This kid isn't even Irish. He's an American with red hair." I get the idea that America is made up of people whose families originated from lots of different places, but that kid had about as much to do with the conflict in Northern Ireland as I have to do with the Velvet Revolution in Czechoslovakia. (My great-grandmother was Czech.) Which is to say, not at all.

The tendency of Americans to identify themselves as a member of a country they're three generations removed from is one of those weird things about them the rest of us just have to put up with.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

shadok posted:

Any list of essential TOS episodes that doesn't include The Doomsday Machine is flawed.

Fuuuuuuck how did I forget that?

rumtherapy watch The Doomsday Machine

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I am a huge fan of Shore Leave. Its completely batshit insane and wonderful in the best way possible.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Yeah I liked Tin Man. I don't remember a thing that happened, but I know it was good ol' fashioned scifi fun.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MikeJF posted:

The tendency of Americans to identify themselves as a member of a country they're three generations removed from is one of those weird things about them the rest of us just have to put up with.

Because three generations ago, people were still suspicious of things like "he's an Irish."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And as a side-effect of our "melting pot", the haves like to turn turn the have-nots against each-other based on culture and ethnicity. So it continues to be relevant.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MikeJF posted:

"Hyphenated Americans" is the term, it's a vestige of the formerly much more severe (still bad but way better compared to almost everywhere else in the world) race and class issues that have plagued America since we first decided to steal it from the indigenous population.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I hate and loathe the "stolen from the natives" nonsense. The locals that lost to the Europeans violently conquered it too. It's all been violently conquered by someone.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Sash! posted:

I hate and loathe the "stolen from the natives" nonsense. The locals that lost to the Europeans violently conquered it too. It's all been violently conquered by someone.

...who did they conquer, the Mormons?

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

I discovered a wonderful thing while trying to find that speech from the Drumhead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM1fHCdiUfg&t=1729s

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sash! posted:

So what, you think conquering is a moral act?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

thexerox123 posted:

The only moral conquest is my conquest :heysexy:

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Sash! posted:

Yeah they showed that indigenous mega-fauna who's boss...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dietrich posted:

Yeah they showed that indigenous mega-fauna who's boss...

You laugh, but when scientists succeed in cloning Mammoths/Mastodons, I'm sure there will be people who will be like :btroll: "THIS LAND BELONGS TO THEM! THEY WERE HERE FIRST"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

And those people are descended from people who came across the land bridge thousands of years before that and killed the people already living on this continent and so on yadda yadda. That doesn't change the fact that our governments (well, mine anyway) has been and continue to be responsible for terribly mistreating native populations within living memory. Of course the media always frames it the other way because it's almost comical how acceptable it is to be racist against natives because "they get everything for free and don't pay taxes, don't they?"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I just think people from Boston should stop calling themselves Irish. :ohdear:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Zurui posted:

Ok, well, I live in Northern Virginia. This was Iroquis territory when Europeans arrived in large numbers. The Iroquis pushed out Siouans that lived there before just decades before the Europeans turned up. Unless you were literally the pre-Clovis guys, you've conquered someone else.

thexerox123 posted:

It simply is. I don't worry about things that happened centuries ago, that I had nothing to do with, no one alive had anything to do with, and are impossible to set right.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack
Just finished "Eat Me." I thought it was going to be a tight little one-off horror episode and then it ends with two Crichtons. :stare:

During the episode I was thinking about how it seems like the guy really is losing his poo poo with the drunk-sounding southern-ish accent he'll use when getting really heavy with the Earth references, but I guess with all the mind-breaking stuff he goes through it's understandable.

Nothus Infelix
Jan 1, 2006
Scelesti vulgus superstitiosus ignavusque sunt.

Brownview posted:

Just finished "Eat Me." I thought it was going to be a tight little one-off horror episode and then it ends with two Crichtons. :stare:
I was slightly spoiled on that, then when I saw My Three Crichtons, I thought, "Welp, that's what they were talking about." Then I saw "Eat Me" and I was like, "Ohhhhh ... they're doing it for real this time!"

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Zurui posted:

The Voth.

Star Trek thread, folks.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Brownview posted:

Yeah, you'd think it was a "x of the week" episode, but you'll be feeling that one for another two seasons...

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Knormal posted:

The Voth.

Star Trek thread, folks.

Is there any evidence that the Book of Mormon is actually humans? Perhaps Nephi was an intelligent dinosaur?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Apollodorus posted:

"Hyphenated Americans" is the term, it's a vestige of the formerly much more severe (still bad but way better compared to almost everywhere else in the world) race and class issues that have plagued America since we first decided to steal it from the indigenous population.

What you get when you put sixty-four Americans in a room together?

A full-blooded Cherokee.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Nothus Infelix posted:

I was slightly spoiled on that, then when I saw My Three Crichtons, I thought, "Welp, that's what they were talking about." Then I saw "Eat Me" and I was like, "Ohhhhh ... they're doing it for real this time!"

Same. I was pleasantly surprised. It also really heightened the tension of that episode for me, because I expected one of them to stick around.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

shadok posted:

And I realize that it doesn't make most people's TNG list, but Tin Man has always been a personal favourite of mine. Great concept, great story, great performance by the guest star, just a really nice example of how much Michael Piller improved the show.

Great music too. I have a cd from years ago that is simply the themes from a few good episodes and this is one of them. It really is insane how much effort they put into each piece of music.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Fister Roboto posted:

What you get when you put sixty-four Americans in a room together?

A full-blooded Cherokee.

Ahaha holy crap, you're alright :haw:

MikeJF posted:

I don't mind that personally but I'm glad the yanks have mostly stopped sending money to the bloody IRA these days.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

We're mostly over the British supporting the Confederacy

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

farscape trip report: just watched Through the Looking Glass, show is finally coming together.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Data Graham posted:

We're mostly over the British supporting the Confederacy

The British never seriously supported the Confederacy. The Confederacy really wanted the British to support them, and hoped their cotton industry would be enough to rope them in, but the British decided to start importing their cotton from India instead.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Cythereal posted:

The British never seriously supported the Confederacy. The Confederacy really wanted the British to support them, and hoped their cotton industry would be enough to rope them in, but the British decided to start importing their cotton from India instead.

But they did build some warships that they sold to the Confederates on the sly, which in turn played havoc with Union shipping until most of them were eventually hunted down.

The US Government never supported the IRA in any way, a few Irish Americans mostly in and around Boston did.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Echo Video posted:

farscape trip report: just watched Through the Looking Glass, show is finally coming together.

Just wait, 4 of the next 5 episodes are just spectacular.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm hoping I'll have time to watch the second part of The Peacekeeper Wars later, myself.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

jng2058 posted:

The US Government never supported the IRA in any way, a few Irish Americans mostly in and around Boston did.

My barber did when I was growing up, I remember him being in an oddly good mood right after the Manchester bombing.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

MikeJF posted:

Easy now, Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly both make a living off that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Delsaber posted:

Easy now, Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly both make a living off that.

Flogging Molly was the most fun mosh pit I have ever been in by a wide margin. I am not Irish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Worf just found klingon Jesus.

• Locked thread