Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Was the Arab they were talking about Faisal Binladen? I didn't realise he had the 3 hyper cars. He's a very good driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Powershift posted:

It would be great if they could get 30 of them together for the review. Let Ferrari sink their own loving ship.

This would be seriously awesome.

Failing that, they should just buy the Ferrari that Hammond insists is a proper Ferrari and Clarkson insists it isn't (the 308 I think?), put some "La Ferrari" decals on it and test it against the P1 and 918. Act extremely surprised when it comes in last, much hilarity ensues and Ferrari look like a bunch of arseholes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

webmeister posted:

This would be seriously awesome.

Failing that, they should just buy the Ferrari that Hammond insists is a proper Ferrari and Clarkson insists it isn't (the 308 I think?), put some "La Ferrari" decals on it and test it against the P1 and 918. Act extremely surprised when it comes in last, much hilarity ensues and Ferrari look like a bunch of arseholes.

or get some backwoods shop in poland to build a convincing looking replica out of a fiero, but keep the iron duke.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I wish they'd stop with the overdone camera work/effects when reviewing things. I couldn't pay attention to anything during the Corvette review because of the wobbly camera and smokey poo poo everywhere. :saddowns:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
You should probably stop watching Top Gear and any of the last 4-5 years or so of their content. Fancy reviews like that is kind of their signature.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mod sassinator posted:

You should probably stop watching Top Gear and any of the last 4-5 years or so of their content. Fancy reviews like that is kind of their signature.

At least they've stopped colouring in the corners of the screen with a felt-tipped pen.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you're watching top gear to get a clear view and a straight forward review you're in the wrong place.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Last night felt like they went beyond the usual 10 on the effects scale and took it up to 11. I was used to 10; 11 was annoying.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

El Scotch posted:

Last night felt like they went beyond the usual 10 on the effects scale and took it up to 11. I was used to 10; 11 was annoying.

If last night was 11 what would you classify the LFA review?

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

Quite like that Porsche is completely blase about the 918 being tested.

"Track test against P1 and LaFerrari? Yeah bring it back on Monday or something. If we're not around chuck the keys in the mailbox."

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think it needs to be on the top gear track, even if Mclaren doesn't want that. Or maybe on there plus another track to make them happy if the Porsche goes faster.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Someone really liked the Winter Soldier soundtrack.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

jamal posted:

I think it needs to be on the top gear track, even if Mclaren doesn't want that. Or maybe on there plus another track to make them happy if the Porsche goes faster.

I have a feeling the long sweeping turns and the hammerhead would hugely favor the 918.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Of the three I'd still have the P1, and it's not even close. :colbert:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

jediguy posted:

"Track test against P1 and LaFerrari? Yeah bring it back on Monday or something. If we're not around chuck the keys in the mailbox."

It'd be well deserved if it turned out the Porsche was the fastest of the lot and left the other two looking like chumps in its wake.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm happy they stuck all of Ferrari's (and to a lesser extent, McLaren's) dirty laundry out in public instead of publicly ignoring it or glossing it over.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

El Scotch posted:

I'm happy they stuck all of Ferrari's (and to a lesser extent, McLaren's) dirty laundry out in public instead of publicly ignoring it or glossing it over.

Oh, for sure.

Speaking personally, I think looking like you have something major to hide is worse for your image than simply being confident, even if you know you'll probably lose. Why would I want to buy something whose manufacturer wasn't even confident enough to let it be compared against its competitors?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It probably would've been a non story if the Ferrari was something like 0.2 seconds behind the other two. People would talk about it for a week then totally forget about it.

I don't really understand why Ferrari gets so defensive about reviews, they've got the most brand equity of any super car makers where buyers are willing to buy one of their cars purely for the nameplate. I highly doubt any potential La Ferrari buyers would change their mind and buy a P1 just because it was faster.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

It probably would've been a non story if the Ferrari was something like 0.2 seconds behind the other two. People would talk about it for a week then totally forget about it.

I don't really understand why Ferrari gets so defensive about reviews, they've got the most brand equity of any super car makers where buyers are willing to buy one of their cars purely for the nameplate. I highly doubt any potential La Ferrari buyers would change their mind and buy a P1 just because it was faster.

I wonder what percentage of La Ferrari owners also own a P1 and/or 918 (or could easily do so if they wished). It's probably pretty high.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Did the Cayman really have glowing red front brake discs during the lap?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I wish we could get an update on the 7 series and S-class they bought for cheap a few seasons ago.

I know what the update is... but I want to hear them say it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

bolind posted:

Yeah, it was especially obvious at hammerhead.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

PT6A posted:

Oh, for sure.

Speaking personally, I think looking like you have something major to hide is worse for your image than simply being confident, even if you know you'll probably lose. Why would I want to buy something whose manufacturer wasn't even confident enough to let it be compared against its competitors?

I honestly don't believe Ferrari is concerned with being faster or slower. It's a prestige thing. They don't want to even be seen with the other manufacturers. The way Ferrari manages their brand isn't so much about competing against McLaren; they don't want those people who would consider a 650S over a 458. They desire customers who just want a Ferrari and will do everything required to own one. Owning a McLaren isn't sexy (to people like us, it totally is, though). But owning a Ferrari? Yea man, you're doing alright.

Porsche carries a reputation based on racing pedigree and fine German engineering. They make usable cars with one suitable for most every lifestyle. McLaren is an engineering firm who just so happens to indulge in racing and road cars. Ferrari is a 5'10" Italian brunette who knows you want to gently caress her.

bloops fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 24, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Spiffness posted:

I wish we could get an update on the 7 series and S-class they bought for cheap a few seasons ago.

I thought one was an 8-series.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Spiffness posted:

8-series and CL class

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Spiffness posted:

I assumed that it would appear in Top Gear Magazine.

(Don't know if it did, I don't read it)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Spiffness posted:

And the Mini of Paddy Hopkirk's that they were going to rebuild

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

pik_d posted:

Yeah, it was especially obvious at hammerhead.
http://i.imgur.com/LT56SMG.gif

I also did this, for some reason: http://i.imgur.com/8eEXQfN.gif

nmfree fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 25, 2015

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

neckbeard posted:

8-series and CL class

Ah, thank you. Yes, these.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

This also needed to be done:

http://i.imgur.com/Nm1tIhy.gifv

And well this one from earlier in the season while I'm at it:

http://i.imgur.com/WNkb4tg.gifv

pik_d fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 25, 2015

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

bolind posted:

Yea, I think most cars they put around the track with carbon ceramics have shots of the rotors glowing. The brakes are designed to operate at high temps and due to their low mass, get up to temp pretty quickly.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
If I remember the physics behind brakes correctly, brakes don't work via "apply friction = slow down" but by actually: "convert kinetic energy into thermal energy"

The quicker you can do that, with higher thermal energy storage capacity, the better the brakes.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Which, I believe, is why steel brakes lose effectiveness after heavy usage.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cakefool posted:

If you're watching top gear to get a clear view and a straight forward review you're in the wrong place.

How 95% of all the reviews shown at the start of the show go:

"It's great except it's terrible!"

Or:

"This car's great, so let's review a completely different one instead!"

And yet I always enjoy them :munch:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

jediguy posted:

I'm fairly certain the Germans love being evaluated and theres a disappointed team at Porsche right now

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Gorilla Salad posted:

How 95% of all the reviews shown at the start of the show go:

"It's great except it's terrible!"
After last episode, don't you mean, "TUH-REEH-BLUH!"?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

8ender posted:

I'm fairly certain the Germans love being evaluated and theres a disappointed team at Porsche right now

I'm entirely certain this is the case.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Clarkson's timing with "Maniac!" was amazing.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Jealous Cow posted:

Clarkson's timing with "Maniac!" was amazing.

I've found myself saying that when driving now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Grumpwagon posted:

I've found myself saying that when driving now.

Going to have to work that in with "Auntie, reverse auntie. Reverse reverse reverse."