Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Gearhead posted:

The design is almost alien, really. There's something almost un-Gundam about it that I can't QUITE figure out...

Legs too long, torso too small. Also the hips/torso don't seem to match up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

BlitzBlast posted:

It's the Denial with different skirt armor, new shoulders and a backpack.

I mean the Denial ITSELF seems like it's in the wrong series.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gearhead posted:

Maybe Gundam SEED and Full Metal Panic had a kid, and that kid is in their emo phase?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It doesn't look anything at all like Full Metal Panic mecha.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

It doesn't look anything at all like Full Metal Panic mecha.

The weird little ponytail thing is a little like the Lambda Driver ponytail some of the later suits had.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Gearhead posted:

It just has RD proportions like the animation model Build Burning.

Lineart.

Animation model.

Look at the model kit if you want a more classic looking Denial.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2JUXxBIp_I

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
man, the animation for this episode is kinda shiOH JESUS CHRIST OH JESUS CHRIST OH JESUS CHRIST

edit: I know they won't do it, but if Lucas Nemesis beats the Gunpla academy to become the true last boss I will forgive everything up until this point.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 25, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Well, that didn't live up to the hype.

To be honest, the episode felt kinda steeped in cultural cliché that might make more sense to a Japanese audience. Yuuma and Fumina staying out because of martial arts honour, a plastic model having 'feelings', winning through a new power up because he didn't give up, that stuff.

Still, there were some bits I enjoyed. Like Suga's driving, 'pushing back axis' as an in universe saying, Yuuki's acknowledgement that the hair attack was legal but still finding it bullshit.

Now I feel kinda mixed on Lucas though. Its kinda like the writers just aren't satisfied each time they make the 'strongest team/fighter' and so they make new ones but the old ones are kinda left hanging in the plot.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
There were some really notable things hidden in there.

The Build Burning has an Arista embedded in its chest. Wish-granting and all.
Sekai absolutely did a God Finger. It's unmistakeable.
The Crossbone is gonna have a really good showing.

I just hope that they're not teasing for a Lucas vs. Sekai fight that won't ever happen. Then again, this is the show where Fumina realized she wasn't being badass enough and directly decided to fix that.

edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty pissed that they even did a loving flashback to something that happened earlier on! Almost every scene was off-model, and the only things that looked good were the new finishers and the Crossbone reveal. Maybe they're saving it all for the next episode?

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Feb 25, 2015

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Good lord, that fight was boring. And since it was won by Sekai being the most boring generic protagonist ever while nobody else did anything because bullshit "honour", I'm even more annoyed that the Crossbone got so little screen time, and didn't even move.

Still want kits of those White Wolf's custom Zakus.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Astro Nut posted:

Now I feel kinda mixed on Lucas though. Its kinda like the writers just aren't satisfied each time they make the 'strongest team/fighter' and so they make new ones but the old ones are kinda left hanging in the plot.

For all intents and purposes most of them might as well be the exact same characters with the only noticeable difference being their choice of gunpla. And yeah it does suck that they tend to get left behind, makes them feel very disposable.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Aaaaaaaand that's either gonna be a new kit or an add-on, from the looks of things.

This is just a render (on a real magazine cover), though.

I care more about the ramifications in Super Robot Wars, to be honest.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DigitalRaven posted:

Good lord, that fight was boring. And since it was won by Sekai being the most boring generic protagonist ever while nobody else did anything because bullshit "honour", I'm even more annoyed that the Crossbone got so little screen time, and didn't even move.

Still want kits of those White Wolf's custom Zakus.

At least the Try Burning actually got to pull some actual martial arts moves for once. And delivering a Shining Finger to Jun was pretty awesome. I'm just sad the Denial's legs weren't left standing on their own with melted edges from where the rest of it had been. Just on the whole though, did this episode feel like end half of one episode and the first half of a second stuck together to anyone else?

Broken Loose posted:

I just hope that they're not teasing for a Lucas vs. Sekai fight that won't ever happen. Then again, this is the show where Fumina realized she wasn't being badass enough and directly decided to fix that.

There's not a snowball's chance in hell, as they've paired off ever member of Try Fighters and the academy as sworn rivals. I'd love to see them do it though, just to utterly tank the drat forced-upon rival pairings. And they're trying for the "He's the bestest builder card" again with Lucas, which you really can't sell on a stock kit. I don't have the same wow factor from seeing it animated as I haven't read Crossbone, but I get that it's a Big Thing to see it actually onscreen in anything. Just seems a weird time and place for it to me because it's not like a Crossbone Full Cloth kit wouldn't sell without it.

Srice posted:

For all intents and purposes most of them might as well be the exact same characters with the only noticeable difference being their choice of gunpla. And yeah it does suck that they tend to get left behind, makes them feel very disposable.

It would've been nice to at least see them fight to the bitter end one-by-one, though I guess the budget and time went to the Denial fight for this episode. This just made them look like complete idiots though, because by the looks of it they got trashed by a single attack/bombardment and they're supposed to be an experienced national-tier team.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At least the Try Burning actually got to pull some actual martial arts moves for once. And delivering a Shining Finger to Jun was pretty awesome. I'm just sad the Denial's legs weren't left standing on their own with melted edges from where the rest of it had been. Just on the whole though, did this episode feel like end half of one episode and the first half of a second stuck together to anyone else?

The spoiler would be a nice detail, but the whole rest of the fight was so boring that when it came up I couldn't give two tugs of a dead dog's dick. Too little, way too late.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
"I'll make a 12k video recording!"

Not gonna lie. That made me laugh. Everything else this episode was p. boring though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DigitalRaven posted:

The spoiler would be a nice detail, but the whole rest of the fight was so boring that when it came up I couldn't give two tugs of a dead dog's dick. Too little, way too late.

Yeah. Sekai got some characterization and a climax to his story arc of wanting to become stronger by defeating a life-long rival. Great, where was the rest of it through the last 20-odd episodes? Let's be fair and say 17-ish, he actually got some degree of characterization against Shimon and in the first 2-or-3 episodes.

linall posted:

"I'll make a 12k video recording!"

Not gonna lie. That made me laugh. Everything else this episode was p. boring though.

Yeah, I laughed at that too. I love stupid little future-tech things like that :allears:.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

The Build Burning has an Arista embedded in its chest. Wish-granting and all.

But it still couldn't bring back Sei's friend!

Would it still be gunpla battle if you made the entire thing out of crystallized plavsky particles?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I really liked that fight. :shobon: He only called out his attack during his finisher, the finisher was cool, and then there was a bunch of good stupid poo poo to finish it out. Suga's driving was wonderful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The fight was... okay i guess? I liked the visual of it with him summoning the rainbow gunpla particles but otherwise his new finisher was literally just "I do all my stock finishers at once." There wasn't much to it. Sekai didn't have any great personal realization that sparked his transformation he just went "nah, I'm gonna power up EVEN HARDER than I did before. Winning and Lightning just standing around was understandable from an anime cliche perspective but kind of boring.

I'm more disappointed in The Nemesis vs Wolf fight. I mean yeah, they were gonna job to him but they didn't even animate the goddamn Crossbone moving. Also I'm not clear why exactly everyone was standing around shocked and staring at the screen as if they fight just ended when Lucas Nemesis was already back at the hotel since the '12K recording" thing earlier makes it clear the thing is being aired live anyway.

Broken Loose posted:

edit: I know they won't do it, but if Lucas Nemesis beats the Gunpla academy to become the true last boss I will forgive everything up until this point.

You're missing a big problem with that. If Lucas Nemesis beats the Gunpla Academy then the final fight is not going to have anyone meaningful for Fumina and Yuuma to fight. So if they do it it's going to boil down to Sekaitime again because I think we can comfortably say we are not going to get 3v1 MS battles at this point and Nemesis isn't piloting a MA.

That said I don't think it will happen because otherwise Team Try doesn't get to face their designated rivals and because we know next match is Yuuma vs Sakai and I don't think they'll undercut that so hard. This is going to be the Renato Brothers episode for the Gunpla Academy where we see them struggle and show weakness more likely than not.

everythingWasBees posted:

Suga's driving was wonderful.

Suga's driving cracked me up.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given that they actually flashbacked to something that happened 5 minutes ago, I don't think you're the only one.

Either that or boy howdy Sunrise is tightening the budget on this show.

Shooting out rainbow particle Gundams was cool. Having them all just do standard Jigen Haoh moves was less cool.

Suga was just the best.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something else with that fight was it really showed how badly they're stuck kid-gloving the loving Try Burning. Oh no, Junya broke his arm and damaged a shoulder piece. Things that would only slow down any other Gundam, but they're stuck limiting it to that because it's injuring Sekai.

Also, I thought Assimilation only occurred when the plavsky crystals turned Red?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
A thoroughly disappointing fight followed up by an exceedingly lame attempt to sell Lucas as the Super Threat Du Jour without bothering to actually show why he's threatening besides killing Team Jobber offscreen. They went with the single lamest possible way for this fight to go; Sekai gets dumpstered, realizes that his gunpla is even more awesome and overpowered than he thought, powers up again and wins instantly. I could see they were trying to mimic the "Domon masters super mode and schools Master Asia for the first time" scene from G Gundam but it lacked any of the emotional impact of that scene because Junya is too new and fresh of a threat and Sekai's new power came from a deus ex machina instead of the culmination of a personal arc like Domon's.

I think this and the previous episode are probably my least favorite arc in the show, and that includes the Regionals stuff. Junya is basically a knot of wasted potential and characterization that could have been a vital tool in giving Sekai some of the drive and emotional range that everyone has been complaining he's lacked all this time, but instead he was introduced and then shuffled out of the story just as fast as the F91 Imagine guy in season 1.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Sekai was losing, but then he decided he wanted to win, and the Gunpla he found had an extra win button hidden in it, so he won.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

I think this and the previous episode are probably my least favorite arc in the show, and that includes the Regionals stuff. Junya is basically a knot of wasted potential and characterization that could have been a vital tool in giving Sekai some of the drive and emotional range that everyone has been complaining he's lacked all this time, but instead he was introduced and then shuffled out of the story just as fast as the F91 Imagine guy in season 1.

Hell, at least Imagine guy had a full story arc. He was in it to fight on behalf of his grandad and I loved the reasoning behind that was because Grandad had no goddamn intention of going near a fight with the Meijin :allears:, and they at least managed to convey well that Yuuki and him had known eachother fairly well in the past. All we know of Junya and Sekai was they punched air in the wild together for a day and ate fish in a cave.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

boom boom boom posted:

Sekai was losing, but then he decided he wanted to win, and the Gunpla he found had an extra win button hidden in it, so he won.

He didn't even decide to win, he gave up and his Gunpla felt sorry for him and gave him the "I win" button. Also, what was unfair about Junya's hair choke? Seems perfectly fine to me. It's like complaining about the Star Winning using it's funnels or Sekai finding a Green Lantern ring inside his Gunpla and making new Gunpla using it. It's really just unfair because it's something Sekai can't do, isn't it?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hell, at least Imagine guy had a full story arc. He was in it to fight on behalf of his grandad and I loved the reasoning behind that was because Grandad had no goddamn intention of going near a fight with the Meijin :allears:, and they at least managed to convey well that Yuuki and him had known eachother fairly well in the past. All we know of Junya and Sekai was they punched air in the wild together for a day and ate fish in a cave.

I don't see how Yuuki mentioning that Julian kept schooling him back in the day and them chatting with each other provided any more meaningful interaction than Sekai and Junya. Which is a problem in and of itself, because Julian was 100% filler material and meant to be a cheap-n-easy fight, and they're trying to build Junya up as someone who's not that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pureauthor posted:

I don't see how Yuuki mentioning that Julian kept schooling him back in the day and them chatting with each other provided any more meaningful interaction than Sekai and Junya. Which is a problem in and of itself, because Julian was 100% filler material and meant to be a cheap-n-easy fight, and they're trying to build Junya up as someone who's not that.

I agree with this, Julian was roughly as quick and dirty as Junya turned out to be. The reason why Julian was acceptable and Junya is not is that Meijin was a fleshed out character with his finger in other story interaction pies at that point so it was okay for him to have a one-and-done rival, whereas Sekai has been starved for anything approaching a compelling personal story arc for the majority of the show and could have really benefited from Junya being a foil, threat, and/or motivation to him for more than a single fight.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

tsob posted:

He didn't even decide to win, he gave up and his Gunpla felt sorry for him and gave him the "I win" button. Also, what was unfair about Junya's hair choke? Seems perfectly fine to me. It's like complaining about the Star Winning using it's funnels or Sekai finding a Green Lantern ring inside his Gunpla and making new Gunpla using it. It's really just unfair because it's something Sekai can't do, isn't it?

Assimilation means anyone who fights Sekai is hurting him. So if you don't let Sekai Jigen haaiouoboiyvw you with a finisher right off the bat, you're just being mean.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Christ, the final fight between Sekai and the Gunpla Academy dude is going to be SO BORING.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boom boom boom posted:

Christ, the final fight between Sekai and the Gunpla Academy dude is going to be SO BORING.

I predict punches blocked with the tip of the spear, followed by the Phoenix move either actually connecting or they no-sell it with a GN Particle Barrier. Fumina and Shia's could go just as tediously because the Portent definitely has a GN Barrier, so it'll turn into "no her shots won't get through, oh wait now they do for dramatic effect".

Pureauthor posted:

Both of them, even with Julian being a one-shot filler character, had better writing behind them to carry it off for a filler episode. Sekai and Junya did not. Hell, Junya even left rather than doing something character-driven like staying to cheer on Sekai from the peanut gallery.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

Assimilation means anyone who fights Sekai is hurting him. So if you don't let Sekai Jigen haaiouoboiyvw you with a finisher right off the bat, you're just being mean.

I think assimilation comes from his channeling his fighting spirit into his gunpla, right? I mean before we got this assimilation crap he did get into a couple gunpla battles where he didnt get hurt, right? I think it really boils down to him being a super spaz who can't calm the hell down. And really, think about it. Hes a martial arts prodigy. He trains to take kicks to the head and all that stuff, what good is a fighter who cant take a hit, but when hes battling he gets busted up pretty easily and he almost quit last episode.

Does he have to go to the hospital after ever non-gunpla fight from passing out?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He got a chunk taken out of his head, stabbed in the stomach and the chest and a broken arm during his latest fight and didn't have to go to the hospital. He just had to have something to eat and looked a bit worn out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Assimilation got a quiet nerf for obvious reasons. It originally showed up as him being literally cut when his gunpla was but since then he's devolved into pain and some bruises.

The choking this episode was probably the most brutal thing but that is because choking Sekai to death is something that could kill him while it doesn't seem like anything else you do to Try Burning could.

That said, uh, does Junya have any idea whatsoever that Assimilation is a thing? Because if he thought he was just having a Super Serious For Real Gunpla Battle it makes him look a lot less sociopath.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I thought this episode was perfect because previously I was very disappointed that the only mysterious character who arrives from a foreign country, ignores their team to solo an enemy team who appears to be using actual effort and tactics by not moving perfect, top-tier build quality to the awed gasps of the entire crowd, then tells a protagonist that they are looking forward to being able to battle them without reservation, was a girl.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

ImpAtom posted:

That said, uh, does Junya have any idea whatsoever that Assimilation is a thing? Because if he thought he was just having a Super Serious For Real Gunpla Battle it makes him look a lot less sociopath.

The impression I got was that Junya imitated the Burning Burst System because of reasons (Yuuma/maybe Sei to a lesser degree wasn't the first one with the idea, I guess,) not that he was assimilating himself (obviously) or that he knew assimilation was a thing at all; it seems like most characters that aren't deep in Plavsky bullshit have no idea what the gently caress happens when Sekai is hurt during or passes out after a fight, especially looking at Gyanko and Shimon.

Folks have plenty of valid opinions about this episode/Sekai that I can't really contest at this point, but I thought the callbacks to G Gundam were neat, if poorly executed. I wanted them to splash more Super Robot into Sekai's fights and they sort of did, with the sort-of God Shadow and God Finger with the left hand?!?

The Crossbone chumping the designated team-to-be-chumped offscreen was pretty dumb, though.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I think Assimilation got a quiet nerf for obvious reasons. It originally showed up as him being literally cut when his gunpla was but since then he's devolved into pain and some bruises.

The choking this episode was probably the most brutal thing but that is because choking Sekai to death is something that could kill him while it doesn't seem like anything else you do to Try Burning could.

Given how he was acting and how he thought that Sekai was done for even though most other fighters would just be slightly gimped, I feel like there's a good chance he did. With how obsessed he was with Sekai I'd be surprised if he didn't.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I hope it's like Renatos vs Abigorbine and they show what happened in X1 vs Zakus in the cold open of the next episode.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Everyone who doesn't like Junya just imagine that he died on his way to the station because of Sleggar's driving. Given that we will probably never see him again this isn't too absurd a belief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's kind of bad that Sekai was the least interesting part of what is supposed to be his two big character building episodes. For as out-of-nowhere as Junya was, he was hammy, fought in a cool way, and had a neat gunpla, and Yuuma and Fumina both did some cool maneuvers to win their respective fights. Sekai just jigen haoh-ed harder but with rainbow clones this time because he was given a ridiculously powerful gunpla with a space rock in it. I mean hell, they could have at least tried to say it canonically is supposed to have a fusion reactor in it due to being based on a SEED gundam or some other made up thing, given the sun imagery. The bit with Sleggar was good, too. Sucks about White Wolf, though. I mean their fate was always to job out, but that was just sad.

I predict next episode will involve a lot of seeing who can no-sell attacks harder and a lot of other ways to avoid having to animate the crossbone.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 25, 2015

• Locked thread