Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I'm playing Bravely Default for the first time and think it's great.

One the chapters could have been severely truncated because there's not much difference between chapter 5+6. The challenge from the sidequests is decent and I liked ripping that three mage and the item bastard group up.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Every dungeon ends with the same save point and vendor because the bosses can be tough and finding the right party to conquer a boss is basically the only meat in the entire game.

I don't understand this complaint. How dare they put a save point before a boss! Bosses should be more difficult than the regular grunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

Bravely Default is really fun, as is SMT IV

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

But I've been saying this since around release and people are still praising it.

Mostly because everything you just said are stupid words as told by an idiot.

I was lukewarm on Bravely Default but dang, man.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Sodium Chloride posted:

I don't understand this complaint. How dare they put a save point before a boss! Bosses should be more difficult than the regular grunts.

I always assume this complaint is from people who didn't grow up mashing their cock against the marsh cave and gurgu volcano to truly experience just how much fun it is when you die on a dungeon boss over and over and over only to resume back in loving town.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

False

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm not complaining specifically about those chapters. I'm complaining about its terrible design decisions in general.

Let's look at it this way. Basically, the only thing you have to do in the game is battle. That's it. That's the one thing the game lets you do. This is supposed to be so good that it makes up for there being nothing to explore. Remember, this is a roleplaying game. Games like Etrian Odyssey and Persona get away with there being nothing to explore because either interacting with the characters is highly rewarding or the dungeons are massive labyrinths that make up for it. But not in Bravely Default. The towns are just menus, the dungeons are corridors with a few token puzzles, and tilesets get reused again and again even before the game starts to repeat itself. And interacting with people produces minimal results.

So you have this great amazing job battle system, it's super great. And the American release is praised for allowing you to ignore it completely, or almost completely. The only times you have to use the battle system are to improve your levels, which are kind of meaningless, to improve your jobs, which you don't need outside bosses because you can skin the battles between them, and to beat bosses, which repeat after the first half of the game. Levels and jobs can be gained quite easily by grinding on fast forward and with certain items equipped in certain locations that time can be reduced even further.

The game is literally set up to minimize how long you spend doing the one thing the game is supposed to be best at. Well why is that? Because there's just very little tangible reward to doing that one thing. The only time the battle system has genuine rewards is when you beat bosses and unlock new jobs. And that can actually be fun. The bosses are challenging. They require you to think of unique strategies to beat them. And when you beat them you get a reward that actually matters and can only be gained through clever strategy.

And then it repeats itself and the only thing you get for beating bosses is more dialog. That's it. So once you have the jobs you have no further incentive to pursue them.

A far more interesting game would have been battles against bosses only. Each boss battle would unlock a new job. At a certain point you could fight bosses in a any order you wanted. If the game insisted on you earning job points to unlock skills, it could have sidequests in new areas for you to explore that would be ultimately unnecessary but added flavor to the game. It would be like the Megaman of RPGs.

But that's not the game we got. The game we got actively discourages you from playing it to the point of assisting you in doing so.

Sodium Chloride posted:

Why are there still save points?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm really not sure what you're getting at, other than you think it would be better I guess if they didn't let you turn off random encounters or save before bosses. It's a convenient feature for certain situations, not something the game is trying to force you to utilize as much as possible. I spent tons of hours just fighting random mobs and had fun doing so.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Nate RFB posted:

I'm really not sure what you're getting at, other than you think it would be better I guess if they didn't let you turn off random encounters or save before bosses. It's a convenient feature for certain situations, not something the game is trying to force you to utilize as much as possible. I spent tons of hours just fighting random mobs and had fun doing so.

I'm pointing out that if turning off random encounters improves the game, why include them at all? If you enjoyed just beating up the trash mobs, then we don't enjoy the same things in a game and that's fine too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Turning off random encounters every now and then improves the game, there is no rule you have to or should use it constantly. You could use this same line on thinking on the difficulty; why not just set it to Easy all the time?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm pointing out that if turning off random encounters improves the game, why include them at all? If you enjoyed just beating up the trash mobs, then we don't enjoy the same things in a game and that's fine too.

Because there are times when I want to fight lots of enemies and times when I don't want to fight any enemies and wow, the game provides for me both times.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm looking at 32GB cards for n3DS. The ones Nintendo recommends seem to be 80mb/s plus transfer rates. Will a 48mb/s rate cut it? Cause those cards are dirt cheap. I'm wondering if there is an actual benefit to faster cards on the system.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I just bought Chrono Trigger from Amazon. I hope all this Chrono whitenknighting wasn't a troll :saddowns:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Nate RFB posted:

Turning off random encounters every now and then improves the game, there is no rule you have to or should use it constantly. You could use this same line on thinking on the difficulty; why not just set it to Easy all the time?

I would say somewhere between chapters 2 and 3 you can turn them off for the remainder of the game as far as progressing the story and exploring the dungeons is concerned. As in, you could basically just go from boss to boss at that point. You only really need to turn them on when you want to gain job points and you can set the game up so that you minimize the amount of time you are then required to grind. Like I said, it's just weird that the game provides you with so many ways to avoid actually playing it.

I've spent way more words than is probably healthy dissecting it though.

Sodium Chloride posted:

I'm playing Bravely Default for the first time and think it's great.

One the chapters could have been severely truncated because there's not much difference between chapter 5+6. The challenge from the sidequests is decent and I liked ripping that three mage and the item bastard group up.

That's cool if that's your thing. I just don't get any inherent joy out of fighting trash mobs. Especially when it's so incredibly hard to actually lose to them.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 25, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

eightysixed posted:

I just bought Chrono Trigger from Amazon. I hope all this Chrono whitenknighting wasn't a troll :saddowns:

Fooled you, didn't we? We are all Amazon sellers trying to move stock. Thanks for your custom, sucker!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm not complaining specifically about those chapters. I'm complaining about its terrible design decisions in general.

Let's look at it this way. Basically, the only thing you have to do in the game is battle. That's it. That's the one thing the game lets you do. This is supposed to be so good that it makes up for there being nothing to explore. Remember, this is a roleplaying game. Games like Etrian Odyssey and Persona get away with there being nothing to explore because either interacting with the characters is highly rewarding or the dungeons are massive labyrinths that make up for it. But not in Bravely Default. The towns are just menus, the dungeons are corridors with a few token puzzles, and tilesets get reused again and again even before the game starts to repeat itself. And interacting with people produces minimal results.

No idea about Persona but the point of Etrian Odyssey games are that you're exploring the dungeons. It's a dungeon crawler, not a full fledged RPG.

quote:

Why are there still save points?

You can save at any point on the world map or in towns, just not in dungeons. I didn't like the game, but your complaints are very silly.

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is because there were two versions of the game. We got the second version which added stuff like the random encounter slider. You couldn't turn off random encounters in the original game, and chapters 7 and 8 were exactly the same as chapters 5 and 6. Yes, the time loop thing could have been much worse.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

eightysixed posted:

I wasnt aware chrono "whiteknighting" was a thing, pretty sure it's a canonical mandate by the Pope by now that Chrono Trigger is great which is why it's on every system and tablet in existence

Atlas Hugged posted:

The game is literally set up to minimize how long you spend doing the one thing the game is supposed to be best at. Well why is that? Because there's just very little tangible reward to doing that one thing. The only time the battle system has genuine rewards is when you beat bosses and unlock new jobs. And that can actually be fun. The bosses are challenging. They require you to think of unique strategies to beat them. And when you beat them you get a reward that actually matters and can only be gained through clever strategy.

Yeah pretty much this, it's a fun game IMO but there is just loving nothing else to it and it's as old-school and bone dry as it gets, they weren't kidding when it was being lauded as a classic kind of jrpg with occasional options to turn on or off. You either like the mob battling or you don't.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

eightysixed posted:

White-knighting? It's a good game, not sure why you think people are lying about that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

That's cool if that's your thing. I just don't get any inherent joy out of fighting trash mobs. Especially when it's so incredibly hard to actually lose to them.

This explains so much about why you were bitching about the bosses being too hard before.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Oh god I caved in and bought a decal for my 3DS:

https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/255983/Nintendo-New-3DS-XL-Skin-Black-Woodgrain

Needed that matte finish, because gently caress glossy holy poo poo.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Dr. Fetus posted:

No idea about Persona but the point of Etrian Odyssey games are that you're exploring the dungeons. It's a dungeon crawler, not a full fledged RPG.

I'm going to disagree that EO isn't a full fledged RPG. You design the party and it grows and develops as you want. Exploring the dungeons is the core of the game, but it's really interesting to do so. In BD you have no control over the develop of the party and the gameplay is dull. EO feels more like a full RPG to me than BD honestly.

quote:

You can save at any point on the world map or in towns, just not in dungeons. I didn't like the game, but your complaints are very silly.

This is because there were two versions of the game. We got the second version which added stuff like the random encounter slider. You couldn't turn off random encounters in the original game, and chapters 7 and 8 were exactly the same as chapters 5 and 6.

These are related. Obviously I'm aware that there are two versions of the game and what the changes for the American release were. I'm saying save points and random encounters in general are just super unnecessary in a game like BD. At least in the American version they let you skip the random encounters, which doesn't actually leave a lot of game left. To me it's just weird that I can save outside the dungeon, turn off the encounters, walk the three screens of the dungeon, and fight the boss. It just speaks to the overall redundancy and laziness in the game. Why not just let you save wherever you wanted at any time? Why make me walk through the dungeon at all? I don't know, it just made me roll my eyes is all.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Fuzz posted:

Oh god I caved in and bought a decal for my 3DS:

https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/255983/Nintendo-New-3DS-XL-Skin-Black-Woodgrain

Needed that matte finish, because gently caress glossy holy poo poo.

I bought the solid state blue in matte, because blue is the best color in the universe. The end.

https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/256127/Nintendo-New-3DS-XL-Skin-Solid-State-Blue

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Housh posted:

I'm looking at 32GB cards for n3DS. The ones Nintendo recommends seem to be 80mb/s plus transfer rates. Will a 48mb/s rate cut it? Cause those cards are dirt cheap. I'm wondering if there is an actual benefit to faster cards on the system.

Never go cheap on anything electronic. You only have to buy it once, so invest in something good.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Oxxidation posted:

This explains so much about why you were bitching about the bosses being too hard before.

I think they're gimmicky. Certain job combinations won't work on certain bosses and your character level doesn't give you any buffer on that. But you switch to a different job class and suddenly the boss becomes trivial. I guess that just means I don't like games where jobs are the primary emphasis and I won't be playing the sequel. Oh well.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Etrips posted:

I bought the solid state blue in matte, because blue is the best color in the universe. The end.

https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/256127/Nintendo-New-3DS-XL-Skin-Solid-State-Blue

Why didn't you just buy the blue New XL?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

eightysixed posted:

lol, tricked u into buyin a game generally thought of as #1 jrpg of all time, fuckin OWNED by the maste troll

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sodium Chloride posted:

Because he might live in North America?

I would totally have gone with a blue one if they had a brushed blue cobalt one or a navy blue like my old DS Lite. Powder blue is way too bright for me.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

forbidden lesbian posted:

White-knighting? It's a good game, not sure why you think people are lying about that.

It was a poor effort at a joke :saddowns: x2

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sodium Chloride posted:

They only get Red and Black in the US, iirc.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Sodium Chloride posted:

:confused:

The nu3dsxl only comes in black or red? Excluding the LE ones which I'm not paying scalping prices for.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sodium Chloride posted:

AFAIK, America only got Black and Red models.

Edit: so beaten, but yeah, we in the Old World got a Blue model.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Oh okay. I didn't know that we got different colours.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The "black" N3DS XL isn't even black, it's a gunmetal grey, which I think looks better than a boring matte or glossy black.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All jrpgs and RPGs in general suck in some form, stop effortposting defending your fav kawaii anime game, or at least have the decency do it in the vita thread.

You're better than this, guys.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In other words smdyff

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kirios posted:

Bravely Default is a very good game. Sheesh this game got massive praise when it came out on SA...I guess Goons really will hate anything and everything.

I loved Bravely Default, just really hated the Ground Hog Day storyline.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Louisgod posted:

The "black" N3DS XL isn't even black, it's a gunmetal grey, which I think looks better than a boring matte or glossy black.

Really? Could have sworn it only came in fingerprint grey.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

io_burn posted:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

What the gently caress is this smdyff poo poo, and why is everyone on the forums suddenly posting it. Seen it a bunch of times in the last couple weeks. loving hate dumb internet acronyms. :argh:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Fuzz posted:

What the gently caress is this smdyff poo poo

Refer to this precious autistic poster and the continuous mockering of said individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm going to disagree that EO isn't a full fledged RPG. You design the party and it grows and develops as you want. Exploring the dungeons is the core of the game, but it's really interesting to do so. In BD you have no control over the develop of the party and the gameplay is dull. EO feels more like a full RPG to me than BD honestly.

Wait, you think BD doesn't let you customize the party? There are only 24 jobs and a limitless number of ways to combine the perks from each one. The male/female characters even have badass costumes to go along with each one. Customizability is not the problem with this game - as others have already said, it's the half-assed job they did with creating the "world".

Still one of the best RPGs in a long time. Half-baked as parts of the world are, the game is loving gorgeous for a 3DS game.