Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

gfanikf posted:

Am I the only one who just thought they were a hologram or video on a data drive Pym brought back vs real deal Beyonders?

Pym took out something from his helmet to give to Reed, and it was a picture of the Beyonders. They didn't come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Pym took out something from his helmet to give to Reed, and it was a picture of the Beyonders. They didn't come back.
Well, sheeeeeeeet, I thought the stuff they were mucking with was opening a Pym portal to let them come over or something.

The main reason I thought this was that every other display Reed uses throughout the issue has a large pixel overlay (see the two pages with the Celestials/Captain Britain/Franklin stuff for the best look). The last page does not have this same graphic effect on top of the Beyonders, so I took them to actually be there.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 13, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good that's what I thought happened.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
This exchange prompted me to go back and reread it, and yeah, the Beyonders are just a display. Another thing I caught that I missed the first time, the Illuminati are gathered around Tony's cell in the first few pages. Not sure how I missed that.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rabum Alal and the Ivory Kings are battling each other, and both sides want the destruction of the multiverse. So last we saw, the galactic Avengers (Thor, Hyperion, Starbrand, etc.) found Dr. Strange and the Black Priests, and learned that the Black Priests have been trying to save everyone by performing triages on incursions; killing a world to save the other. Then they flipped a coin to see which group would go after Radum Alal, and which would go after the Ivory Kings.

It looks like Dr. Strange and the Black Priests drew Rabum Alal.

Also it looks like that Dr. Doom and the Molecule Man are going to the Ivory Kings, so they should meet up with the other Avengers. It's likely that the Mapmakers are agents of the Ivory Kings.

poo poo. I hadn't considered Strange and his crew would have picked Alal. I thought the matchup would make more sense with the most powerful Avengers taking on the Destroyer, since like Ex Nihlo and Abyss are like creation and poo poo, and devestate the gently caress out of reality while Strange and his crew would magic their way to zap the Beyonders.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
If you're not reading Captain America and the Mighty Avengers what are you doing?

They just brought back THE BEYOND CORPORATION™. It's great comics.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Avengers World began filling the time skip this week with a Sam/Smasher centric issue and it was a pretty neat book. Nothing world shattering but I think it works pretty well to not have these stories mess the pacing of the main books while still being able to tell them on the side. It makes for nice character moments.
Disclaimer: I'm a bit biased as it crosses over with one of my favorite current books Cyclops

Next issue is Bobby, I want to see that aggressive AIM buyout.

I'm answering late but I swear I had to reread these 2 pages 3 times to figure what was going on. That loving art.
Again, I'm more than willing to pay to get a Deodato Remastered Edition. Next week is the last time we don't have Kev Walker on NA as he will be doing #30-33.

I'm anticipating the moment the series concludes and no one has any idea what actually happened because the art obfuscates everything.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I hate that Valerio Schiti didn't stay on as the main NA artist.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
What the hell is going on in the main Captain America title? I enjoyed the last volume and I enjoy Sam as Cap, but this run seems all over the place.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

redbackground posted:

I hate that Valerio Schiti didn't stay on as the main NA artist.

Me too, I thought his take on certain characters like Namor and Maximus was perfect. That said his nonhuman characters looked odd, I don't think Thanos or Corvus Glaive looked quite right and neither does Rocket Raccoon in Schiti's Guardians of the Galaxy.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

bobkatt013 posted:

What the hell is going on in the main Captain America title? I enjoyed the last volume and I enjoy Sam as Cap, but this run seems all over the place.

I find that Remender in full Remender mode is so dense that I have to reread at least the previous issue before the current issue makes a damned bit of sense.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

PelvicNerve posted:

Avengers World began filling the time skip this week with a Sam/Smasher centric issue and it was a pretty neat book. Nothing world shattering but I think it works pretty well to not have these stories mess the pacing of the main books while still being able to tell them on the side. It makes for nice character moments.
Disclaimer: I'm a bit biased as it crosses over with one of my favorite current books Cyclops

Don't listen to this man the new Avengers World was hokey and terrible. Cannonball and Smasher love each other and beat up an alien to impress the Shiar. It was executed with maximum lameness.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nevvy Z posted:

Don't listen to this man the new Avengers World was hokey and terrible. Cannonball and Smasher love each other and beat up an alien to impress the Shiar. It was executed with maximum lameness.

It had pirate cyclops dad being pirate cyclops dad and that's all right.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, I really liked Avengers World, though I've liked the entire series to this point too. Ditto on Pirate Cyclops being great. His solo book is super fun.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Checking release dates just blew my mind: we're getting 3 Avengers/New Avengers issues over the next 3 Wednesdays. I'm not sure about Avengers #43 but Previews has it on March 25 so that would be 4 issues in 5 weeks.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PelvicNerve posted:

Checking release dates just blew my mind: we're getting 3 Avengers/New Avengers issues over the next 3 Wednesdays. I'm not sure about Avengers #43 but Previews has it on March 25 so that would be 4 issues in 5 weeks.

I know. I don't use the phrase "happier then a pig in poo poo," very often....but it may just be applicable here.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So yeah Beyonders......
:drat:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Good thing they didn't actually come back with Pym I guess, yow.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crusader posted:

Good thing they didn't actually come back with Pym I guess, yow.

If they can just you know kill everyone below Jack Kirby easily in the Marvel Multiverses, humanity must be such a cosmically and comically insignificant speck that it makes Lovecraft cosmic view seem quaint.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wow, the Beyonders are really strong! Repeat for 20 pages.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'm estimating, at this point, that Rabum Alal will be as strong as roughly 10 Beyonders (A Beyonder is as strong as 3 Celestials).

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

gfanikf posted:

So yeah Beyonders......
:drat:

Finally looped back around to the dead Living Tribunal!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well the Avengers are proper hosed.

On the plus side, Doom will save us all.

It was awesome to see the tribunal payoff and all the other big entities battling. It still doesn't explain WHY the Beyonders are doing this now and this is still just half of the equation because Rabum Alal needs to be revealed and explained.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I liked the dinosaurs in suits that Pym met in one of the universes.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Well the Avengers are proper hosed.

On the plus side, Doom will save us all.

Given the harmonic mapmaker trap-setting in this issue; I think Doom is on his way to the same ambush - hopefully he fares better against the Beyonders than Captain Britain or the Builders.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Starsnostars posted:

I liked the dinosaurs in suits that Pym met in one of the universes.

Agreed. I want to know more about this universe

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Now all we need is a reason why this is happening and how it relates to Rabum Alal and incursions.

Another nice way this all ties together is that now we know why the universe is dying, and incursions are not necessarily responsible. They're just concomitant to Beyonders loving everything and everyone up.

Crusader posted:

Given the harmonic mapmaker trap-setting in this issue; I think Doom is on his way to the same ambush - hopefully he fares better against the Beyonders than Captain Britain or the Builders.
Yeah, it's a trap.
I still expect some twist because Doom is awesome and he's with Molecule Man, who happens to be tied to both Rabum Alal and the original Beyonder (the child lol).

net cafe scandal posted:

Wow, the Beyonders are really strong! Repeat for 20 pages.
That's pretty good actually as it is now certain the resolution won't be punching one giant dude into submission. These are stakes way beyond the physical world.
We'll probably get a bit of Rabum Alal vs Beyonders at one point but I'm not sure "beating" either is on the table.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Agreed. I want to know more about this universe

Too bad, they've been destroyed. :colbert:

The art got better as the issue progressed, but this guy was a bit in over his head for what had to be depicted. I think using a 2-artist jam would have been great, with one guy handling all of the grounded talking-head stuff, and then letting someone like Bianchi or Marco Rudy loose on the mulitversal super-shenanigans that Hank could barely wrap his mind around.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 25, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
If there is one thing that I think is really unfortunate about Hickman's whole run is the art. I feel like a lot great moments have been kind of knee-capped by sub-par to downright bad art.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The issue confused me. I read it, I understood the words that I read, but my brain couldn't really make sense of what I read. Could someone please explain this issue to me please :-/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Ivory Kings/Beyonders are attacking all the major universal forces across all the multiverse all at once.

Also there's a dinosaur universe.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

SalTheBard posted:

The issue confused me. I read it, I understood the words that I read, but my brain couldn't really make sense of what I read. Could someone please explain this issue to me please :-/

Yellowjacket was sent out to find the source of the incursions. He jumps around the multiverse for awhile before he gets to the Builders' HQ. He snoops around there for awhile and finds that the Builders have located the Mapmakers (hyper-evolved Super Adaptoids who seem to work for the Ivory Kings). The Builders use a version of Manifold that they've created using the DNA from various multiversal versions of him to teleport there and huge battle occurs at an incursion point. The Builders use the corpse of a Mapmaker to find out where the Ivory Kings (Beyonders) are and they jump there as Manifolds have not just teleportation abilities but the innate sense of where they NEED to teleport to.

Captain Britain shows up to talk about how the Captain Britain Corps was also researching what was causing the multiversal collapse. The Corps pretty much does the same thing as the Builders except instead of traveling somewhere using a Mapmaker corpse they create a beacon, which summons even more Mapmakers and Sidera Maris (the slaves of the Mapmakers). Braddock says the Corps is corpses and everything is bad.

Yellowjacket expands on that by relating what the Builders found when they teleported to the Ivory Kings: A trap wherein the Beyonders are systematically luring in and murdering the Celestial Host of every universe. Reality starts to blur and bend at incursion points like this and Hank perceives the Beyonders murdering Celestials across the multiverse all at once. Hank survives the battle, though the Builders/Alephs/etc do not. He emerges just in time to glimpse the Beyonders murdering cosmic concepts like Eternity, Infinity, Chaos, Order, and the In-Betweener. Just watching it causes Hank to go a little insane but finally the Living Tribunal, who is pretty much the Hand of God/The One Above All/Jack Kirby in living form, shows up and the universe re-aligns. The Tribunal battles the Beyonders but it's also to no avail: they kill him and his corpse is perceived in every universe, dying on the moon (like how Iron Man found him much earlier in the run).

Pym despairs because the Beyonders have already slain the multiverse itself. What hope do they have left?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

squidgee posted:

Finally looped back around to the dead Living Tribunal!

Is it wrong that when we hit that point in the book my first thought was "wow, all those people who were bitching that that plot point was dropped are gonna feel silly now, huh?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Is it wrong that when we hit that point in the book my first thought was "wow, all those people who were bitching that that plot point was dropped are gonna feel silly now, huh?"

I was pretty sure it was going to come back, I just didn't think it'd take this long.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Man, what an awesome issue but pity about the art. All these huge, cosmic entities battling it out reduced to giants firing lasers.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Artistic rendition of an actual artistic rendition.

We're all bitching about the art but when Kev Walker comes back for the last 3 issues, we will all miss this week's guy.

Yeah, I swore I would stop mentioning it but it's a shame the art doesn't do the writing justice.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Man, that was baroque as poo poo but I suppose at this point it kind of has to be.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So have we settled on the final suspects for who Rabum Alal is? He's probably not the Beyonder, as he was mentioned as a child of the other Beyonders. No Oblivion in the cosmic battle leaves him as a prime suspect. And then there's the alternate Tony Stark theory, which is what I'm gonna go with.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I'm going to go with Rabum Alal as more of a concept than a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Little Mac posted:

Plot Explanation

THANK YOU. After reading NA 30 again it made much more sense.

• Locked thread