Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Junya's red sclera were so ridiculous.

I like the overall aesthetic of the rainbow spirit gundams attack, even if it was kind of boring in execution. Shining finger isn't really as good without the speech preceding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Green Intern posted:

I like the overall aesthetic of the rainbow spirit gundams attack, even if it was kind of boring in execution. Shining finger isn't really as good without the speech preceding it.

It's also not nearly as good when the guy who uses it wasn't actually winning until he busted it out as a surprise (and unearned) power up that turns things around completely instead of being a finisher for a character who had already proven worthy of winning in any of a variety of ways. The music also wasn't as good. The fact that I spent the majority of the fight rolling my eyes and wishing it was over but not quite willing to skip it doesn't help either really. Basically this attack had nothing going for it compared to Shining Finger.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
... Huh. I finally get Sekai's character arc now. He's Domon without the anger issues - a lonely guy who can only understand other people or be understood by fighting.
Dude just wants to make friends is all. :smith:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

tsob posted:

It's also not nearly as good when the guy who uses it wasn't actually winning until he busted it out as a surprise (and unearned) power up that turns things around completely instead of being a finisher for a character who had already proven worthy of winning in any of a variety of ways. The music also wasn't as good. The fact that I spent the majority of the fight rolling my eyes and wishing it was over but not quite willing to skip it doesn't help either really. Basically this attack had nothing going for it compared to Shining Finger.

It doesn't help that there's no actual bad guy in this show. It wouldn't be as bad if Junya was trying to take over the world or something. In that case you want Sekai to win no matter what, so magic space rock that was there all along but nobody noticed so Sekai wins would be easier to stomach. But they're just playing a game. It's a bunch of people playing a game, and some are good at some parts of the game but not at others, and some are good at everything, and some aren't great at anything but try to make up for it by being clever or sneaky or whatever. Except for Sekai, who keeps winning because he found a maxed out level 99 account with a completely min/maxed character that it turns out also has exclusive gear nobody else playing the game can get,

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Suga (badly) drives a Volkswagon Beetle Convertible. That is adorable for some reason.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Well I can only hope that jigen haoh rainbow takes on the form of the star winning and lightning during the dramatic one on one final battle.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

W.T. Fits posted:

... Huh. I finally get Sekai's character arc now. He's Domon without the anger issues - a lonely guy who can only understand other people or be understood by fighting.
Dude just wants to make friends is all. :smith:

I like this interpretation. Thank you. :unsmith:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
This episode was pretty good for such a Sekai focused one and the big dumb finisher of the rainbow particle clones and BURNING FINGER was kinda cool. Some good moments from Sekai and villain AND the Meijins of course.

I did like that we finally got to see whatever the hell Sekai sees when he punches someone's 'heart'.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zwingley posted:

I like this interpretation. Thank you. :unsmith:

Pity it's kind of contradicted by the show. He has a good, solid relationship with both his sister and has master and has had with years by all accounts. And while they were presumably built upon fighting too (though you'd hope he'd get along with his sister regardless of that), it does stand to the fact that he's not particularly lonely. Nor has he ever been portrayed as such. He is very open and willing to approach others, making friends with Fumina pretty much instantly and without ever having to fight her. He understood Simon's brother without fighting him too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sekai is honestly more of a Newtype than he is a Domon-style fighter. He's empathetic and can instantly understand other's feelings and communicate his own to them. He's sort of the opposite of Domon that way where Domon has trouble understanding people and communicating his own feelings. Sekai is dense (especially when it comes to The Girls) but seems to understand people intuitively.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Junya's reaction when Sekai grabbed his boob at the end of the Try Burning rainbow parade was hilarious. He looked especially disgusted.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

1) Teamwork is ignored
2) Sekai pulls bullshit out of nowhere again, likely via a reservoir of plot armor he keeps inside myself
3) Sekai rips off Shining Finger

C-

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I wish this fight had been better. I just get the feeling that the last few fights of the season are going to turn into an exercise in "how quickly the writers can make the fight a 1v1"

At least if Lucas Nemesis finishes off the Gunpla Academy it'll be an interesting twist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I wish this fight had been better. I just get the feeling that the last few fights of the season are going to turn into an exercise in "how quickly the writers can make the fight a 1v1"

At least if Lucas Nemesis finishes off the Gunpla Academy it'll be an interesting twist.

Well, it's not going to be too hard from here on out.

Their next fight is Tryon-3. After that it's either Lucas or the Gunpla Academy. If it's Gunpla Academy then they split off and face their rival. If it's Lucas then I assume we get a repeat of the Junya fight where Fumina and Yuuma take out their two nameless pilots and maybe get dispatched themselves so Sekai can have his manly fight.

(I'm pretty sure Gunpla Academy is going to win. Lucas Nemesis is just the F91 guy again. He was even trained by the F91 guy. The other choice is that the entire team...just doesn't fight their designated rivals/fights them in a meaningless exhibition match which seems remarkably unlikely.)

Also I just can't see them having Lucas Nemesis 3v1 the rivals they spend building up, especially since we've seen his co-pilots and they're Nameless Generics.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

quote:

XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam X-1 Custom Custom "Skull Heart" [Full Cloth] (Crossbone)

The translation quality really improved after the fight ended. It honestly felt like the usual translator just called in sick or something and they had a sub cover the entire Junya arc.

Sudou was the most hilarious part of the episode. His flat stare at the beginning where he's like "oh uh wow maybe I shouldn't have been so cocky" and then the end where he sweeps the drama away with his amazing driving abilities.

The fight itself was... okay, I guess? It was neat seeing the Denial wreck rear end. The reversal was eye rollingly generic, but I guess they did foreshadow it with Yuuma and Meijin. Pretty much all I take away from it though is that Sei figured out how to make a gunpla entirely out of plavsky particles, which was great.

I was expecting this week to be a big budget episode, but it had a bunch of really lazy things. Hopefully that's because they're saving it for next week, but who knows anymore.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I really hope that they're not setting up Lucas to be any one of the Try Fighter rivals. He's a bit late to the game and I hope his next match against Gunpla Academy is a red herring and he gets chumped for being too serious about Gunpla. Crossbone Full Cloth is pretty rad though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's been that most of the show as is anyways, why should the last few episodes be any different.

Revolver Bunker posted:

I really hope that they're not setting up Lucas to be any one of the Try Fighter rivals. He's a bit late to the game and I hope his next match against Gunpla Academy is a red herring and he gets chumped for being too serious about Gunpla. Crossbone Full Cloth is pretty rad though.

Well, team Nemesis could make themselves the bad guys by manipulating things so that their team consists of Lucas, Lady and Meijin in a bid for...something or other. I doubt it, because at this point it's really too late to properly set up any kind of real antagonist or plot beyond the tournament given there's only a handful of episodes left and there hasn't even been the slightest whiff of such yet. At the same time though, the show has been pretty remarkably bad about it's writing all around, so them introducing some kind of terrible villainous plot this late in the game wouldn't actually be surprising regardless of how dumb it'd be.

Honestly though, I'd probably find a Lady/Fumina, Lucas/Yuuma and Meijin/Sekai fight far more interesting than anything to do with the Gunpla Academy and having the rival team that each member of team Try wants to fight and is kind of vaguely friendly with lose to someone they don't know would not only be surprising but actually pretty dramatic for the cast too. It would also be something approaching build up for one of the antagonistic teams, which the show has been sorely lacking in, because they've spent a good deal of the show hyping up how great the Gunpla Academy is and having Nemesis beat them in a fight we get to see would actually make you appreciate how good Lucas (let's not pretend the other two count) is.

I don't expect it to happen, but I'd prefer it did because there's just nothing really interesting to be mined from the Gunpla Academy besides the Yuuma/Adou re-match.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 25, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop in that episode, and it never did. Some big moment that re-contextualized the entire fight, or some big discovery by Sekai about himself or... well, anything, really.

I keep going back and forth on if this show is better than BF1 or not, but at this point, unless the last couple episodes are loving fantastic, I'm probably going to end up saying no. There's just too many rough patches, too many same-y, 'eh' episodes.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Why would you consider it better than the original at all? I can see someone prefer a few things here and there, like the designs and music and I do think that Yuuma and Fumina are more interesting on paper than Sei, Reiji or China but the execution has been worse since nearly the beginning. The opening few episodes were pretty cool, but around the episode 5 mark things started to slide and it's gotten worse as time goes on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

tsob posted:

Why would you consider it better than the original at all? I can see someone prefer a few things here and there, like the designs and music and I do think that Yuuma and Fumina are more interesting on paper than Sei, Reiji or China but the execution has been worse since nearly the beginning. The opening few episodes were pretty cool, but around the episode 5 mark things started to slide and it's gotten worse as time goes on.
There was a short stretch of episodes that were genuinely really good. Basically everything where Yuuki shows up, and the next several episodes after, gave me a lot of hope that the series would be picking up, and just had a weak first half.

That doesn't look like it's the case any more. :saddowns:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I hope all the remaining budget is spent on 20 straight minutes of Team Try Fighters vs. the Tryon 3, and the rest of the series is crudely spliced together with repurposed clips.

LeviathanGunship
Dec 6, 2004

I'll be honest, I don't entirely understand where this leaves us.

BlitzBlast posted:

The fight itself was... okay, I guess? It was neat seeing the Denial wreck rear end. The reversal was eye rollingly generic, but I guess they did foreshadow it with Yuuma and Meijin. Pretty much all I take away from it though is that Sei figured out how to make a gunpla entirely out of plavsky particles, which was great.

My thought is that the sun Sekai sees in a Plavsky crystal that has been implanted within the Build Burning. That possibly would explain where the sudden power boost came from.

LeviathanGunship fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 25, 2015

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
When Sekai gave up, the gem Sei obviously put inside the Build Burning should have summoned Reiji back to Earth to scold Sekai for giving up on a fight or something, and then have Sei show up because he saw Reiji on tv.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

One of the things I really liked about BF is that it never went full on "my Gunpla is a living thing that wants to wiiiiiiin" like most merchandise shows.

Try. :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

One of the things I really liked about BF is that it never went full on "my Gunpla is a living thing that wants to wiiiiiiin" like most merchandise shows.

God dammit, now I'm imagining Sekai playing Beyblade.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Fenice fight.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I loved the Zakus, they looked pretty cool overall. Nice episode.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Fenice fight.

The Fenice didn't literally drag Fellini back from the edge of defeat. It was the closest BF got though, yeah.

Really it was handled well there since the gimmick with the Fenice is that Fellini had it all his life. He could call it his partner and not sound completely ridiculous. Sekai on the other hand... :sigh:.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I loved the Zakus, they looked pretty cool overall. Nice episode.

You didn't see the Zakus do anything. They weren't even animated beyond their launch animation.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

The Fenice didn't literally drag Fellini back from the edge of defeat. It was the closest BF got though, yeah.

Really it was handled well there since the gimmick with the Fenice is that Fellini had it all his life. He could call it his partner and not sound completely ridiculous. Sekai on the other hand... :sigh:.

One of the better aspects of that whole episode was the gamesmanship that was discussed. Fellini could have saved his gunpla for a match that mattered, since he didn't even need to win. He totally could have just forfeited since he had the points and helped his friends. They addressed the tournament in a way that was totally realistic.

The whole first season had that grounding in it actually. People ducked the giant Zaku fight, Nils was trying to duck everybody.

This season not so much.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

nuru posted:

You didn't see the Zakus do anything. They weren't even animated beyond their launch animation.

It was enough for me. I'm not going to write a 34 paragraph thesis on Why I Hate This Show because it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ka0 posted:

It was enough for me. I'm not going to write a 34 paragraph thesis on Why I Hate This Show because it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to.
And yet it would still be better than what you decided to post now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

One of the better aspects of that whole episode was the gamesmanship that was discussed. Fellini could have saved his gunpla for a match that mattered, since he didn't even need to win. He totally could have just forfeited since he had the points and helped his friends. They addressed the tournament in a way that was totally realistic.

The whole first season had that grounding in it actually. People ducked the giant Zaku fight, Nils was trying to duck everybody.

This season not so much.

I think a big problem there is one of the core problems of the show:

The series isn't made up of teams. It is made up of 3 faceless guys, a protagonist and two faceless guys, or a protagonist and 2 almost-faceless sidekicks. Aside from G-Master, Team Try and Celestial Sphere every team falls into this. Even Tryon-3 has Sakai and then the two guys are are his friends who are barely characters. I guess the SD-Gundam guys are technically three identical characters but even then you had a 'main' one and two bland sidekicks.

You can't really gamesmanship without a personality to back it up. The Renato Brothers or Felini or Luang Duralla work because they have strong defined personalities that determine how they fight. At best one out of every 3 characters in BFT has that.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I think at least the first season was more willing to ask questions when people did something strange. Sometimes they had surprisingly understandable answers, sometimes they kept quiet - but then, people can be irrational and silly in real life too. At least acknowledging something is amiss helps contextualise things.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

And yet it would still be better than what you decided to post now.

Why are you getting mad that he didnt get mad? This thread is so terrible.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

It's not terrible, I mean the people whining at least are making some arguements as to why they hate the show. It's not zero-effort or white noise.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

KoB posted:

Why are you getting mad that he didnt get mad? This thread is so terrible.
Well once everyone stops posting it will only be as terrible as it is at that point in time.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I did not like the battle. It...was disappointing. But, the episode had a few minor moments that were decent. But yeah, did you really need to pad out the episode at the end with a dialogue-less flashback to 10 minutes earlier? You couldn't have sprung for a few added lines from the three people in the room? Or throw in something else?

Pureauthor posted:

I hope it's like Renatos vs Abigorbine and they show what happened in X1 vs Zakus in the cold open of the next episode.
This is what I'm hoping for, at the least.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ka0 posted:

Like that's a good thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

On a rewatch, I gotta admit I'm kind of disappointed the big climatic music was an arrange of Build Fighters instead of Try Fighters.

Also thinking about it more, I'm pretty sure the Build Burning is entirely capable of pulling off the same beam saber shenanigans as the Denial. Hell Reppaku Ken is basically just a giant beam saber he punches into the ground. Theoretically the Burning could even shotoclone it up and fire out hadokens from the emitters on its fists. It could probably even do the same Master Gundam beam cloth shenanigans if Sekai tried.

Basically Sekai's completely wasting his suit's potential to focus on his own thing, which I guess is commendable on its own right (that was Junya's big realization after all) but still kind of disappointing.

• Locked thread