Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I see Ninninger has taken notes from Enter's school of monster creation. I approve heartily!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynameishong
May 5, 2013
Good first episode. It's loving sweet how acrobatic and fluid Shinobimaru is; I wanna see more individual mecha fights like that!

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
Has there been a sentai since Gorenger that actually used the Japanese words for the ranger colors? Listening to the Ninninger roll call just reminds me of the Gaki no Tsukai 5 Rangers skits because that's the only place I've actually heard it.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Has there been a sentai since Gorenger that actually used the Japanese words for the ranger colors? Listening to the Ninninger roll call just reminds me of the Gaki no Tsukai 5 Rangers skits because that's the only place I've actually heard it.

No, this is in fact pretty weird.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

You know that thing's gotta be heavy as sin with the stuff inside it to make the little robot move.

Depending on how they control it, maybe not. It's probably a little unbalanced with some weight in the back, but I doubt it's any more onerous to wear when compared to the huge clusterfuck suits.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As I expected, I kinda liked this. The way the team came together really reminded me of Shinkenger(which itself could kind of be considered a pseudo-ninja season or at least close enough with it's themes being heavily focused on Japanese mythology and culture). It was actually kind of the inverse of Shinkenger's opening as well with Red being kind of happy-go-lucky and eager to form a team and the other members having to be convinced to follow along. Looking forward to seeing how things develop.

I'm also curious now what Starninger's(the 6th ranger) deal is now. He could be another relative, a friend of one or more of the core 5/pupil of the Last Ninja, or an outsider that somehow gets his hands on a shuriken and manages to work his way into the group. Of course, they also could keep with tradition and make him faceless(as in suit and voiceover only) but somehow I doubt that.

Also doesn't the fact they're all related technically make this not only a ninja Sentai but a family Sentai like Fiveman, GogoV and Magiranger as well?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 24, 2015

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I know this is kind of childish as a compliment, but I'm loving the henshin this season, especially the music.

AKA AOI KI SHIRO MOMO NINGERS

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

As I expected, I kinda liked this. The way the team came together really reminded me of Shinkenger(which itself could kind of be considered a pseudo-ninja season or at least close enough with it's themes being heavily focused on Japanese mythology and culture). It was actually kind of the inverse of Shinkenger's opening as well with Red being kind of happy-go-lucky and eager to form a team and the other members having to be convinced to follow along. Looking forward to seeing how things develop.

I'm also curious now what Starninger's(the 6th ranger) deal is now. He could be another relative, a friend of one or more of the core 5/pupil of the Last Ninja, or an outsider that somehow gets his hands on a shuriken and manages to work his way into the group. Of course, they also could keep with tradition and make him faceless(as in suit and voiceover only) but somehow I doubt that.

Also doesn't the fact they're all related technically make this not only a ninja Sentai but a family Sentai like Fiveman, GogoV and Magiranger as well?

I'd guess an extended family member (2nd cousin). I did think it was amusing that the entire episode alluded to the grandpa being dead until the end of the episode.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Maybe a step-sibling?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Solaris Knight posted:

I know this is kind of childish as a compliment, but I'm loving the henshinHENGE this season, especially the music.

AKA AOI KI SHIRO MOMO NINGERS

Kinda sad OT translated Henge to Change, but it makes sense with the other "The ____" going on.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Depending on how they control it, maybe not. It's probably a little unbalanced with some weight in the back, but I doubt it's any more onerous to wear when compared to the huge clusterfuck suits.

It's a separate suit for when the little robot moves, I'm pretty sure. It could be really hosed up weight wise because the larger suit doesn't walk around when that happens, it just moves its arms or lifts a leg. Could be proven wrong as the series goes, but that's how it looks to me.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I want Cowboy Ninja to be Red's Dad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Stallion Cabana posted:

I never knew how much I wanted this until just now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Stallion Cabana posted:

I want Cowboy Ninja to be Red's Grandpa.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

SpikeMcclane posted:

Gomen Rider.

They said competently.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Stallion Cabana posted:

:agreed:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress me. Ninja Stars and a Sheriff Star.
I just got that.

The person who thought that up is amazing.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Red's Dad would be the fantastic outcome, but it will probably be some unknown cousin from America or something.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I gotta wait til this Sunday to watch Ninninjer but I am pretty hyped after all the positive reactions. I loved ToQ, but it was divisive and it's always nicer when everyone's enjoying the new season.

Also, somewhat on topic, I wrote a short story for my creative writing class that was a fairly obvious homage to Power Rangers/Super Sentai. While the story definitely needs some revision, I was surprised by how well it was received by the class. You never know how people will respond with this sort of thing, so it's good to know that the Rangers are still so widely and fondly remembered.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

gently caress me. Ninja Stars and a Sheriff Star.
I just got that.

The person who thought that up is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0qz_f5dJBM

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the thread before but it still kind of just hit me when watching the episode that this is the first yellow guy we've had in a long while, the last one was Magiranger I think. I liked the episode pretty well but I was about 90% certain the grandfather was definitely still alive, I didn't expect him to show up at the end of the episode so at least that was a surprise.

I also felt like the villain with the hammer had a familiar voice, I looked it up though and I don't recognize any of her roles.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

All you guys hoping that Cowboy Ninja will be Red's dad, did you miss that Red and White's dad was right there in the first episode?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
More than anything I'm excited theres an end credit dance number again, which means cute kids and huge nerds sending in videos eventually :3:

I do hope they explain why the zords are random besides Shinobimaru though.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

All you guys hoping that Cowboy Ninja will be Red's dad, did you miss that Red and White's dad was right there in the first episode?

Has the actor been shown? I thought all we had was scans of the suit and toys.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure it's never someone who's already in the cast. Just like the Secondary Rider is always someone new.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

that's why they were hoping it

they like red & white's dad and want to see him do stuff

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Potsticker posted:

Regardless, I'm pretty sure it's never someone who's already in the cast.

Torin. :colbert:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone heard anything from the Grown-ups in Spandex crew lately? Its been ages since they posted anything, and usually they had one or two things popping up every month.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Finally watched Ninninger. Unlike the first few episodes of ToQ, this series felt really down to earth. Little goofy, all human protagonists, and everyone is pretty likable. I'll try to keep up with this one.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
A giant puppy robot that plays fetch with giant shurikens. :allears: :allears: :allears:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

C'mon, Torin wasn't a sixth. That was Utsusemimaru. Torin was just an extra ranger.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Potsticker posted:

C'mon, Torin wasn't a sixth. That was Utsusemimaru. Torin was just an extra ranger.

Doggie Kruger :v:

At least for a few episodes until Tetsu showed up.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
In SPD, Cruger is way more of a 6th Ranger than the Omega Ranger anyway

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

Doggie Kruger :v:

At least for a few episodes until Tetsu showed up.

Haha, I was going to mention him as a much better "exception." :v:

I do wonder why they never really upgrade a member of the supporting cast. The biggest exception I can think of is Kabuto, where Kagami is certainly a major character and even arguably the main protagonist, but becomes the secondary rider later.

Gaim too, I guess.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Raserys posted:

In SPD, Cruger is way more of a 6th Ranger than the Omega Ranger anyway

And then they carried that over into Mystic Force :colbert:

In other news, another Kamen RIder and Super Sentai crossover!

http://news.tokunation.com/2015/02/25/kamen-rider-drive-shuriken-sentai-ninninger-team-up-special-airing-march-29-25102

I'm almost hoping these become a yearly thing.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Solaris Knight posted:

And then they carried that over into Mystic Force :colbert:

In other news, another Kamen RIder and Super Sentai crossover!

http://news.tokunation.com/2015/02/25/kamen-rider-drive-shuriken-sentai-ninninger-team-up-special-airing-march-29-25102

I'm almost hoping these become a yearly thing.

That grimdark Kamen Rider super robo, oh man :monocle:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Some Numbers posted:

Even though he's been shown, that's why I want him to be Cowboy Ninja. He's a cool dude and seems to occupy a weird space where he's not quite a 'mentor' but not quite not; because the Mentor is Grandpa.

Kind of like, say, Daggeron.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, sorry, I was assuming that the sixth ninja would be a new character, so I thought you guys were saying "I hope we meet Red's dad and he's the sixth."

Red's dad strikes as the team's mentor (or back-up mentor if Grandpa sticks around) and I expect Cowboy Sixth will be the same age as the team.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

deadly_pudding posted:

That grimdark Kamen Rider super robo, oh man :monocle:

I love that one little image next to the Rider Robo reveal of Kamen Rider J punching the poo poo out of it. Like J is just genuinely pissed about another giant Rider showing up to steal his thunder.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Ninninger was surprisingly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Potsticker posted:

Haha, I was going to mention him as a much better "exception." :v:

I do wonder why they never really upgrade a member of the supporting cast. The biggest exception I can think of is Kabuto, where Kagami is certainly a major character and even arguably the main protagonist, but becomes the secondary rider later.

Gaim too, I guess.

Well if we go to including riders then Goto in OOO becoming Birth would be the obvious answer or shows like Agito and Ryuki giving you a secondary rider right from the start.

edit: I figured that the crossovers would be yearly so thats not a big surprise to me. I'm quite happy about it too, I'd rather have a "normal" two team crossover than crap like the Rider vs. Sentai films. Apparently the Gaim cast acted out of character last time though? I didn't watch Gaim and am thus unsure but thats something to be worried about I guess.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 26, 2015

• Locked thread