Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

Bowling for Promos will be fine, as long as none of the promos are worth anything. If some of the prizes are randomly the equivalent of a Ugin or a Monastery Mentor or something, there's gonna be so much whining and feelbads, but if they're like Supplant Forms and Sandsteppe Mastodons, it will be fine. That's what they should be putting in them anyway: Cool casual cards for the kids who actually want to do dice bowling.

Its gonna be whining from us super-invested hard-core grogs, not the Kitchen-table warriors to whom this is supposed to appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Madmarker posted:

Its gonna be whining from us super-invested hard-core grogs, not the Kitchen-table warriors to whom this is supposed to appeal.

Yup. Which is why they should keep chase cards out of it, so us grogs can just ignore it and not ruin it for the 12 year olds.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

In alternate future Tarkir there are somehow the same people that there are in original Tarkir, although they do different things

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

Zero_Grade posted:

I want to use a Chaos Orb as my breath weapon.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Whoa master taigam.

Also jesus christ sarkhan's character just keeps getting worse.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

Yup. Which is why they should keep chase cards out of it, so us grogs can just ignore it and not ruin it for the 12 year olds.

Hardly, big splashy mythics like a DRAGON PLANESWALKER are exactly the sort of card that should be given away. Casuals love those things.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Sarkhan status update: Still batshit crazy.

quote:

Sarkhan turned his eyes to the sky and a burst of giddiness erupted in his chest—an entire herd! Dragons were circling overhead.

"Ha ha!" he cried. "Look! Just look at them!"

Dragons!

Also a bunch of card art:

New Kholaghan art/card.

The Vial of Dragonfire (presumably given its place in the story)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

Sarkhan status update: Still batshit crazy.

also kind of obsessive, dude barely knew Narset and apparently wants to turn to her for validation

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Cernunnos posted:

That just looks like a bunch of glowsticks.

Confirmed that DTK is the rave set.

Elyv posted:

also kind of obsessive, dude barely knew Narset and apparently wants to turn to her for validation

To the defense of the writer he was apparently upset that she died in the original timeline. I guess it has to do with him not liking zurgo and she helped him and some stuff? Okay I can't really defend it but maybe he just wanted to try to save someone w/ his time shenanigans like that's a pretty normal theme even if sarkhan sucks.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm vastly enjoying Kholaghan's new art more than her old art.

It looks so nice.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

Whoa master taigam.

Also jesus christ sarkhan's character just keeps getting worse.

I don't understand why Sarkhan's acting like his goal the whole time was saving Narset.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Kolaghan looks amazing. She must have got tips from her BFF Alesha.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't understand why Sarkhan's acting like his goal the whole time was saving Narset.

I think it comes down to, and I'm trying really hard to emulate Sarkhan's thought process here:

Dragons Dead - Bad
Zurgo - Bad
Dragons - Good
Narset - Good

so he's looking for good things in the new timeline to validate his actions or some poo poo.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Cernunnos posted:

Impressive metallurgy, when did Tarkir industrialize :v:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Cernunnos posted:

Another art joke: George Lucas is going to sue.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

I think it comes down to, and I'm trying really hard to emulate Sarkhan's thought process here:

Dragons Dead - Bad
Zurgo - Bad
Dragons - Good
Narset - Good

so he's looking for good things in the new timeline to validate his actions or some poo poo.

I think the problem here is that WOTC themselves didn't sell how bad the Khans of Tarkir world was supposed to be so Sarkhan comes off looking like a lunatic who changed history for no reason other than the fact that he has the hots for some girl that he briefly met despite the fact that he was committed to changing the world way in advance of having met her.

The Dragons of Tarkir world doesn't really appear to be any better or worse. The bigger problem to me is that Sorin had a way more important reason to save Ugin and he almost literally wasn't involved in the plot at all.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

lol what is this crap, "oh no the time travel story is doing what time travel stories do"

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the problem here is that WOTC themselves didn't sell how bad the Khans of Tarkir world was supposed to be so Sarkhan comes off looking like a lunatic who changed history for no reason other than the fact that he has the hots for some girl that he briefly met despite the fact that he was committed to changing the world way in advance of having met her.

The Dragons of Tarkir world doesn't really appear to be any better or worse. The bigger problem to me is that Sorin had a way more important reason to save Ugin and he almost literally wasn't involved in the plot at all.

I'm hoping that there's going to be a mirror card to Bitter Revelation. As in, this timeline Sorin arrives in Tarkir, but doesn't find Ugin dead at all, so there's a card printed for that.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

This is super goofy and amazing.

Sarkhan really loves him some dragons.

I guess Tarkir has a lot of temporal inertia, since all the characters are similar 1,000 years later despite a major change in the past. Didn't realize Ankle Shanker was an actual name either.

I wonder if we'll see Kolaghan as one of the mythics in Dragons of Tarkir? I guess we know that's whose skull the Dragon Throne was previously made out of anyways.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zero_Grade posted:

This is super goofy and amazing.

Sarkhan really loves him some dragons.

I guess Tarkir has a lot of temporal inertia, since all the characters are similar 1,000 years later despite a major change in the past. Didn't realize Ankle Shanker was an actual name either.

I wonder if we'll see Kolaghan as one of the mythics in Dragons of Tarkir? I guess we know that's whose skull the Dragon Throne was previously made out of anyways.

You mean the Kolaghan that is a mythic in Fate Reforged already?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

forbidden lesbian posted:

lol what is this crap, "oh no the time travel story is doing what time travel stories do"

I usually avoid time travel stories, so I figured that we would have new non-draconic characters

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Madmarker posted:

He's just a rare. The problem with a new Kolaghan is that its the same character from Fate Reforged without any changes other than being alive. That's not to say they won't have new versions of the Dragonlords, but still.

Also, its gonna be funny when Narset planeswalks back and Sarkhan's all happy to see her and learns she left due to to finding the scrolls and wants to kill all the dragons.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

He's just a rare. The problem with a new Kolaghan is that its the same character from Fate Reforged without any changes other than being alive.

You don't know that, thousands of years of ruling over a fifth of a plane can change people (and dragons).

Kolaghan, you've changed, maaaaaaaan.

They also literally made a second niv-mizzet in RTR without him becoming any different, obviously as a callback to finish a cycle, but it's not unprecedented.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

You don't know that, thousands of years of ruling over a fifth of a plane can change people (and dragons).

Kolaghan, you've changed, maaaaaaaan.

I mean, there could still be a new card, it just seems like the current Kolaghan card that's drafted in the exact same set would suffice.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean I can't wait to beat people down with double Kholaghan.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Scalding Tarn?????

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I wonder if they'll print something like 'Kologhan Ascendancy' to reflect the ones from Khans.

Also, pretty sure Kologhan is female. :eng101:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Ultima66 posted:

Scalding Tarn?????

Pretty sure that's a NO. A tarn is a mountain lake. That's mountain-y but not very lake-y. Probably just a Basic Mountain.

bhsman posted:

Also, pretty sure Kologhan is female. :eng101:

All the dragonlords (I think) are Broodmothers. So yeah. Female.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Angry Grimace posted:

It felt like Sarkhan wanted Narset alive now, as she died to further his goal by going back in time. It still may be the case, with this image still showing Narset, it's not Alt-art or art from KTK. It's pretty much basic speculation, but Taigam didn't say that Narset was dead or killed, just no more. There is the Shu Yun plot device to still resolve as well. I was actually slightly disappointed this week wasn't about Theros, but maybe that is for next week, once the Duel Deck is out.

Sorin's involvement is probably in this block, now that he can turn up with Sarkhan at the same time to the Ugin-Cocoon, they have a kerfuffle and the Ugin wakes up and goes "Oh my god I forgot our tea date sorry yo"

Sorin's all "Nah that's chill" and we get Peaceful Revelation, of the four walkers sipping tea while Zurgo plays a bell melody. (Narset being a planeswalker here)

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Technically you can play with two versions of Kolaghan in FKK already since it's implied that the Dragon Throne of Tarkir is her skull :v:

I'm not surprised Sarkhan is still acting sporadic considering he's had Ugin out of his head for no more than 6 hours at this point.

Cernunnos posted:

All the dragonlords (I think) are Broodmothers. So yeah. Female.

Ojutai is a dude.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Sarkhan is still such an utter lunatic. :allears:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Narset more than likely found Shu Yun's scrolls about the history of the khans and was kicked out of the Ojutai clan for it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Captain Capitalism posted:

I'm hoping that there's going to be a mirror card to Bitter Revelation. As in, this timeline Sorin arrives in Tarkir, but doesn't find Ugin dead at all, so there's a card printed for that.

"Everything Went Better than Expected."

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Madmarker posted:

Try again

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I wonder if the worst land in DTK will be the third in the "of the Spirit Dragon" cycle.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Time for another episode of Count Bleck Thinks Too Hard About Time Travel!

So given that nobody seems to know who Sarkhan is, I wonder why he's able to exist, given that even Zurgo, the dude who hates his guts, isn't the same person?

He doesn't have any recollection of his new past, so there's nothing keeping him connected to Tarkir at all, why hasn't he just vanished from existence? Is it because he's influenced events on other planes?

I wonder how the whole Eldrazi thing is going to be resolved now that Ugin's not dead and Sarkhan isn't the same Sarkhan as before. Is there a new Sarkhan in this Tarkir that doesn't go by the name Sarkhan because it's forbidden to say Khan?

Narset is probably a heretic due to finding the scrolls Shu Yun hid away, Surrak we already know is a massive dickbag now, Zurgo's less of a douche, probably.

I wonder what happened to Sidisi and Anafenza?

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Madmarker posted:

Yeah I don't know how likely it is, but there's certainly precedent (see the aforementioned Niv-Mizzet just two blocks ago).

bhsman posted:

Narset more than likely found Shu Yun's scrolls about the history of the khans and was kicked out of the Ojutai clan for it.

This would be where my money is. Wonder if they'll have her planeswalk away/back, be meditating on her own, or have started some heretic outlaw clan-thing (unlikely).

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Boco_T posted:

I wonder if the worst land in DTK will be the third in the "of the Spirit Dragon" cycle.

I could live with a Throne of the Spirit Dragon that taps for extra mana if you have the other two on the field. Like a pseudo-Urzatron for Standard.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Kabanaw posted:

Technically you can play with two versions of Kolaghan in FKK already since it's implied that the Dragon Throne of Tarkir is her skull :v:

I'm not surprised Sarkhan is still acting sporadic considering he's had Ugin out of his head for no more than 6 hours at this point.

Ojutai is a dude.

So is Silumgar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

redstormpopcorn posted:

I could live with a Throne of the Spirit Dragon that taps for extra mana if you have the other two on the field. Like a pseudo-Urzatron for Standard.

I would run it forever and try to make it work because Tron is great and it should come back already.

Or at least be printed in MM15 so I can get some nice new art lands. If any of the art for this game hasn't lost a whole lot of the quality it's probably the lands.

• Locked thread