Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
THON is pretty great, and they never let you forget how great they are for doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That Works posted:

The guilty few.

Well yes. Maybe this is a hard thing to grasp but there's only a few people that did that.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

kittenmittons posted:

THON is pretty great, and they never let you forget how great they are for doing it.

There did seem to be an undercurrent of people patting themselves on the back

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

DJExile posted:

That's a new one on me. Are any other schools doing that?

I am a little resentful that Dave Brandon charged me 250 dollars for football and 175 for hockey every fall for 5 years of undergrad.

I do like this plan though. Good on UM for doing it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

There did seem to be an undercurrent of people patting themselves on the back

Undercurrent? Its practically the overt point of the whole thing :v:

Everyone makes a deal with the frat bro devil, who goes and pats himself on the back for how awesome he is, while the rest of us that put money into cans or whatever are vaguely satisfied and somewhat confused at how they raise so much money. Canning season is tough on your PSU alums because you can't stare blindly ahead at the intersection like everyone else when your car has three different places that says PENN STATE and also so does your shirt.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Baylor started Spring practice today. Not a ton of news yet, although Seth Russell appears to reasonably secure as Bryce Petty's replacement at QB. Briles hasn't anointed him just yet, but everyone's talking like it's Seth's job to lose, and considering how highly Briles prizes experience I don't see Chris Johnson or Jarrett Stidham taking over unless one of them absolutely explodes.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

HEY GUYS WE'RE ON THE FOOTBALL TEAM
https://vine.co/v/OQMz1mFvqmX

I assume the club water polo team was strongly discouraged from showing up in uniform.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Kim Jong Il posted:

LOL, enjoy. He is incapable of doing anything besides being a crony for Schiano/Flood. You are hiring a rich man's Jay Paterno.

Have you seen our special teams?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

kittenmittons posted:

THON.txt

Sash! posted:

Everyone makes a deal with the frat bro devil, who goes and pats himself on the back for how awesome he is, while the rest of us that put money into cans or whatever are vaguely satisfied and somewhat confused at how they raise so much money. Canning season is tough on your PSU alums because you can't stare blindly ahead at the intersection like everyone else when your car has three different places that says PENN STATE and also so does your shirt.

I can

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Urbz has been exiled from Florida, sorta:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/ohio-state-coach-urban-meyer-is-stuck-at-sea-on-cruise-for-cancer-165730572.html

Part of me hopes this is some Florida alum at the port loving over his recruiting schedule.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Sash! posted:

Yes they will. About half.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A few months ago Olbermann got in a Twitter feud with some rando in which he told the guy that he had just "pwned" him.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Auburn responded to the incident with the football players, service dog, and veteran with PTSD:

Auburn posted:

On Tuesday, February 17th Auburn Athletics was made aware of an incident in the lobby area of Haley Center involving two student-athletes and an interaction with a fellow student and her service dog.

Based on conversations with the students, it’s our belief that neither of the student-athletes, Andrew Williams nor Dontavius Russell, did anything with disrespectful intent. From a distance, Andrew made noises trying to get the dog’s attention. He didn't understand the purpose of the dog or realize that the student was a disabled veteran. Dontavius had no involvement in the interaction whatsoever as he was only walking to class.

Andrew offers the following message to the female student. “I want to take this opportunity to apologize for raising my voice. I was startled and totally misunderstood the situation. My mother and father who raised me both served in the military. I have tremendous respect for veterans. In the past week, I've learned a lot more about the role of service dogs for veterans and now better understand her courage to attend Auburn.”

The matter is under review by the university’s Office of Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity. We have and will continue to cooperate, and we understand the review must be allowed to follow its normal course.

Auburn has a long history of supporting the men and women who have served our country. We look forward to adding new programs and educational offerings that raise awareness about service dogs and the challenges that often impact those who serve. Both of the student-athletes affected by the incident were raised by military families and value all that Auburn does in support of the many military appreciation related activities.

I'm not really sure where to fall on this. Pretty much everyone knows that if you see a yellow jacket on a dog, its a service dog. It even says service dog on the jacket. However, yelling at someone for saying hey don't mess with my dog is dumb. If it was an actual misunderstanding (which seems a little of a stretch), maybe have them do some community outreach instead of suspension? Have them sit in with vets in a support group to gain some understanding of the poo poo they are going through? I don't know.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Not quoted in the article, but those players also voluntarily agreed to rape 4 fewer girls as additional punishment.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Just sit em for a half during week 2, that'll cover it.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

KKKLIP ART posted:

Pretty much everyone knows that if you see a yellow jacket on a dog, its a service dog.

Just last week we had a dude come in with a service dog and some random customer started screaming at them about how dogs couldn't come in there. People are dumb and uninformed.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)

R.D. Mangles posted:

HEY GUYS WE'RE ON THE FOOTBALL TEAM
https://vine.co/v/OQMz1mFvqmX

I unironically think this is rad as hell. It's nice to support our terrible basketball team in fun ways.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

siriuslysomething posted:

I unironically think this is rad as hell. It's nice to support our terrible basketball team in fun ways.

If the teams combine wins they may be able to break double digits!

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Look Sir Droids posted:

Not quoted in the article, but those players also voluntarily agreed to rape 4 fewer girls as additional punishment.

I thought Auburn was stronger in armed robbery than sexual assault.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I didn't want to say it at the time but from the sound of it I just didn't think they knew it was a service dog and were just trying to get the dog's attention to play with it for a second. I'm also curious if the woman in question was clearly disabled because if not then the guys could have been put off from someone yelling at them simply for trying to get their dog's attention and it could have escalated from there. They could have just seen it as a woman walking her dog and then snapping at them for trying to be friendly with it.

It doesn't make what they did in yelling at her right but I don't think it was them trying to be an rear end in a top hat to someone specifically because they were a disabled vet, which is kinda how this situation was initially posited.

e: also be aware that the ADA doesn't require service dogs to wear a vest or any other equipment that denotes them as such.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 25, 2015

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

She had PTSD, so it isn't like she had a big ole vest that said hey I'm disabled. And true, maybe they just wanted to play with a dog, because lets be honest who doesn't? Thats why I said that maybe having them sit with some people with service dogs or PTSD to just inform them, not as a punishment. No lost game time, just some good community outreach.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

The important part of the story was never about the dog, from what I saw. They could've not known it was a service dog, they could've, they could've just been trying to play with it or maybe they weren't... I don't really care either way. People like playing with dogs. The part where this story gets bad is where they supposedly puffed all up and tried to bully the lady by acting tough. Whether or not she's a disabled vet doesn't matter either, no big football player guy should be acting that way towards anyone. Everything else just makes it worse and worse from an already bad situation.

Again, that's if they really did puff up and raised their voices at her. I can't imagine it'd be too hard to find witnesses if the school really wanted to (they don't). Maybe I'm running on this completely outdated idea that football coaches should also be trying to make their players better people, too.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I don't care if a dog is a service dog or just a dog. It's polite to not pet a dog without asking.

I have four dogs and I'd prefer no one touch or pet them without asking. I don't like strangers pawing at my dogs, but I also want to make sure they don't get themselves bit and sue me or demand I euthanize my dog because some rear end in a top hat wanted to pet whatever animals crosses their line of sight. Nobody is entitled to pet a dog.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I'm entitled to pet a dog.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Jeremor posted:

The important part of the story was never about the dog, from what I saw. They could've not known it was a service dog, they could've, they could've just been trying to play with it or maybe they weren't... I don't really care either way. People like playing with dogs. The part where this story gets bad is where they supposedly puffed all up and tried to bully the lady by acting tough. Whether or not she's a disabled vet doesn't matter either, no big football player guy should be acting that way towards anyone. Everything else just makes it worse and worse from an already bad situation.

Again, that's if they really did puff up and raised their voices at her. I can't imagine it'd be too hard to find witnesses if the school really wanted to (they don't). Maybe I'm running on this completely outdated idea that football coaches should also be trying to make their players better people, too.

Yea, it seemed like they got yelled at because she ended up being a disabled vet and not just because they had no right to act that way, and that's ridiculous to just tack poo poo on as if it was the reason behind their actions. They're assholes for doing this period and any adjective one might use to describe her isn't cause to demonize them further.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Just last week we had a dude come in with a service dog and some random customer started screaming at them about how dogs couldn't come in there. People are dumb and uninformed.

This has little to do with this incident, but I fly a lot and see shitloads of "service dogs" that are just pets with a vest somebody bought online. No training, no nothing. I still default to giving people the benefit of the doubt but I could totally see someone who deals with that all the time could develop a short temper when dealing with it. The service dog laws are in desperate need of an upgrade to differentiate between "guy with PTSD/Seizures/whatever" and "Guy who wants to take their pet dog everywhere"

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Thoguh posted:

This has little to do with this incident, but I fly a lot and see shitloads of "service dogs" that are just pets with a vest somebody bought online. No training, no nothing. I still default to giving people the benefit of the doubt but I could totally see someone who deals with that all the time could develop a short temper when dealing with it. The service dog laws are in desperate need of an upgrade to differentiate between "guy with PTSD/Seizures/whatever" and "Guy who wants to take their pet dog everywhere"

There's an enormous amount of problems associated with what you want, namely that people should not be forced to make their disabilities public. There's also no governing body for certifying service dogs and as the law stands nobody is required to present evidence that their dog is what they say.

Yes, the people who take advantage of the ADA to drag their dog anywhere they want are assholes but there's little to be done(and honestly how big of a problem is this anyway?).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The NCAA has just ruled a fan-favorite Baylor walk-on RB, Silas Nacita, ineligible to play football because the kid had a 'close family friend' helping him handle living expenses and keeping him off the street. Keep in mind that this kid was a walk-on with a minimum of three guys ahead of him on the depth chart.

https://twitter.com/Salsa_Nacho/status/570621510685036545/photo/1

Baylor fans are pretty upset. Fake Bo Pelini is tweeting at the kid that he hopes the kid will remember this the next time he tries to eat some food.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Crotch Bat posted:

There's an enormous amount of problems associated with what you want, namely that people should not be forced to make their disabilities public. There's also no governing body for certifying service dogs and as the law stands nobody is required to present evidence that their dog is what they say.

Yes, the people who take advantage of the ADA to drag their dog anywhere they want are assholes but there's little to be done(and honestly how big of a problem is this anyway?).

Right. And it's kind of a limited problem. You're only going to scam service dog rules if you have one of a handful of breeds. You can probably still scam if you put a service vest on your shi-tzu, but you'll get a lot of side eye.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Look Sir Droids posted:

Right. And it's kind of a limited problem. You're only going to scam service dog rules if you have one of a handful of breeds. You can probably still scam if you put a service vest on your shi-tzu, but you'll get a lot of side eye.

That's exactly what I'm referring to. And for emotional support dogs animals breed doesn't matter anyway.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Thoguh posted:

That's exactly what I'm referring to. And for emotional support dogs animals breed doesn't matter anyway.

Obama....

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

The NCAA has just ruled a fan-favorite Baylor walk-on RB, Silas Nacita, ineligible to play football because the kid had a 'close family friend' helping him handle living expenses and keeping him off the street. Keep in mind that this kid was a walk-on with a minimum of three guys ahead of him on the depth chart.

https://twitter.com/Salsa_Nacho/status/570621510685036545/photo/1

Baylor fans are pretty upset. Fake Bo Pelini is tweeting at the kid that he hopes the kid will remember this the next time he tries to eat some food.

I saw this earlier and I hope this is just a matter of bureaucracy. It will probably take six committee meetings and 18 forms filled out in triplicate to grant him an exception but he ought to get one.

If he ends up permanently ineligible something is seriously wrong.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Yea, aren't these cases where they can at the worst just pay back what they received and everything is fair and square since they weren't actively trying to be deceitful?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
BBQ chat is (apparently) more interesting than service dog chat or so it seems.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I'm entitled to pet a dog.

Sometimes the dog is just asking for it

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Crotch Bat posted:

Yea, aren't these cases where they can at the worst just pay back what they received and everything is fair and square since they weren't actively trying to be deceitful?

Kinda tough to do when you're so poor you are sleeping in hallways and taking pictures of book pages rather than buying the.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

I saw this earlier and I hope this is just a matter of bureaucracy. It will probably take six committee meetings and 18 forms filled out in triplicate to grant him an exception but he ought to get one.

If he ends up permanently ineligible something is seriously wrong.

Yeah, the more I read about this the angrier I get. Devonte Fields and DGB can beat the living manshit out of someone and still be playing D1 football within a year, but some ex-homeless kid no one outside of Waco is likely to have even heard of before today gets a roof over his head and he's done for life? gently caress that.

Also, could someone explain to me the difference between Nacita's situation and, say, some Waco kid walking on at Baylor while living with their parents? I don't see a meaningful practical difference there.

Also, I like the Baylor blog's take on this: Clearly what Nacita should have done is sell enough autographs to pay rent, then he'd only lose half a game after a few months of painstaking deliberations.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 25, 2015

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Kinda tough to do when you're so poor you are sleeping in hallways and taking pictures of book pages rather than buying the.

Somehow those instances where things need to be repaid seem to work themselves out. I'm assuming it'd be the same here, especially if there's any notoriety to the case.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, the more I read about this the angrier I get. Devonte Fields and DGB can beat the living manshit out of someone and still be playing D1 football within a year, but some ex-homeless kid no one outside of Waco is likely to have even heard of before today gets a roof over his head and he's done for life? gently caress that.

Also, could someone explain to me the difference between Nacita's situation and, say, some Waco kid walking on at Baylor while living with their parents? I don't see a meaningful practical difference there.

Also, I like the Baylor blog's take on this: Clearly what Nacita should have done is sell enough autographs to pay rent, then he'd only lose half a game after a few months of painstaking deliberations.

I think it's more that no one person has the authority to grant the exception. There is a process they have to follow.

What he did is technically a benefit and violates the by-laws, so they have to tell the team he is ineligible until they sort it out.

There is a process for restoring his eligibility, but it takes some time.

Like I said before, I hope this is just a matter of the wheels turning in a bureaucracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

I think it's more that no one person has the authority to grant the exception. There is a process they have to follow.

What he did is technically a benefit and violates the by-laws, so they have to tell the team he is ineligible until they sort it out.

There is a process for restoring his eligibility, but it takes some time.

Like I said before, I hope this is just a matter of the wheels turning in a bureaucracy.

Rumor has it is that they handed the decision down like it was final. That said, rumor.

• Locked thread