Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully not for the sake of saving money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
https://www.facebook.com/kolotv/photos/a.113633146502.108793.39225221502/10152544819136503/?type=1

quote:

According to a study on dating website whatsyourprice.com, men in Reno are the most generous in the nation, shelling out $230 on average for a first date. This is almost three times more than the average date offer of $80. If you're dating these days, what's your take on this?

Men in my city are bad with money.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

I know I'm only a student, but what's wrong with just drinking coffee on first date for a couple of euros/dollars even if you're a "proper adult" in your thirties or forties? Guess I'm horrified at even the average of "just" 80. If you had a really all-in search out and went to like 2 dates a week that'd be crazy.

Yeah I know 80 bucks is obviously too much but I guess I'm wondering if older people spend more on dates? I don't know I'm not yet old. Or 30.

Keisari fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 25, 2015

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
MS Money used to have a catagory specific for dating expenses and I know it was like a large chunk of the piechart when I was heavily in the dating scene. Whelp.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
It's tempting to go out there and show that you have the money to spend on nice things to impress potential dates. Even if you don't really have the money to spend. I did it!

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I have a $150 budget per month in mint labelled "Dating and Friendship Maintenance" which I think is a very generous amount. I'm 25, for the record, and this section includes the entirety of my bar budget and about a third of my restaurant budget.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Mocking Bird posted:

I have a $150 budget per month in mint labelled "Dating and Friendship Maintenance" which I think is a very generous amount. I'm 25, for the record, and this section includes the entirety of my bar budget and about a third of my restaurant budget.

Phew I was worried I look somehow weird if I just want to drink that normal coffee and nothing fancy. I think if you don't hit it off on mundane coffee then I don't see how some fancy restaurant's going to change much.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Keisari posted:

I know I'm only a student, but what's wrong with just drinking coffee on first date for a couple of euros/dollars even if you're a "proper adult" in your thirties or forties? Guess I'm horrified at even the average of "just" 80. If you had a really all-in search out and went to like 2 dates a week that'd be crazy.

Ain't nothing wrong with that at all especially at a "nice" coffee shop, plus it's way lower commitment than a fancy dinner so either party can make a graceful exit if things aren't going well.

Maybe it's a coffee culture thing (Seattle), but pretty sure coffee is the de facto first date around here.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Keisari posted:

Phew I was worried I look somehow weird if I just want to drink that normal coffee and nothing fancy. I think if you don't hit it off on mundane coffee then I don't see how some fancy restaurant's going to change much.

I live in the SF Bay Area, and dating here is a little weird, but it's generally assumed that first dates with be coffee or a quick drink, and you go Dutch as a rule. I'm always surprised when my date even buys my drink. And with online dating, I consider it a terrible faux pas to jump straight to a restaurant meal without seeing if you even like a person first :shrug:

It's also way cheaper and better with money to date this way. It stings to spend $40 when the dude is a creep.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Guinness posted:

Ain't nothing wrong with that at all especially at a "nice" coffee shop, plus it's way lower commitment than a fancy dinner so either party can make a graceful exit if things aren't going well.

Maybe it's a coffee culture thing (Seattle), but pretty sure coffee is the de facto first date around here.

Mocking Bird posted:

I live in the SF Bay Area, and dating here is a little weird, but it's generally assumed that first dates with be coffee or a quick drink, and you go Dutch as a rule. I'm always surprised when my date even buys my drink. And with online dating, I consider it a terrible faux pas to jump straight to a restaurant meal without seeing if you even like a person first :shrug:

It's also way cheaper and better with money to date this way. It stings to spend $40 when the dude is a creep.

Phew. Coffee at a "nice" coffee shop is exactly what I was thinking. I often like to pay lip service to the "gentleman" thing and offer to pay for the coffee, but anything more than that will be dutch. It'd feel like I'm trying to buy the girl if I offered anything more than a coffee. Sometimes girls think it's weird and they're surprised if I offer to buy them coffee, but I just like the gesture.

If someone tried to offer me a 120 euro meal at some restaurant I'd probably be really weirded out too :v:

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Sorry for resurrecting last page's but LL Bean doesn't really sell any purses (also they're $100+ for the few they do), but my girlfriend needs a new one. She tried to cheap out and buy one from Wilson's on sale but the dye literally rubbed off and now she has a hobo purse.

We are not flashy people but I also don't want to keep buying/replacing $30 purses every 6mo either. What are some good ones that either last or have a good warranty but aren't $500/coutoure/anything else anyone would care about.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

overdesigned posted:

It's tempting to go out there and show that you have the money to spend on nice things to impress potential dates. Even if you don't really have the money to spend. I did it!

I kind of wonder if extravagant first dates are one of those red pill type things. You pay for expensive poo poo and they accept and then they "owe" you something.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Barry posted:

I kind of wonder if extravagant first dates are one of those red pill type things. You pay for expensive poo poo and they accept and then they "owe" you something.

I'm sure that for some people that's part of it. For me it was "I want to show that I'm cool and rich and Good With Money" and as it turns out that is in fact Bad With Money.

There's a point at which it crosses the line from attempts at image to legitimate "trying to buy someone's attention" that's probably a sliding scale based on area, age, income level...

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Barry posted:

Specifically, sex.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

xie posted:

Sorry for resurrecting last page's but LL Bean doesn't really sell any purses (also they're $100+ for the few they do), but my girlfriend needs a new one. She tried to cheap out and buy one from Wilson's on sale but the dye literally rubbed off and now she has a hobo purse.

We are not flashy people but I also don't want to keep buying/replacing $30 purses every 6mo either. What are some good ones that either last or have a good warranty but aren't $500/coutoure/anything else anyone would care about.

Like I said in the post you're mentioning, Timbuk2 has occasional awesome sales where quality shoulder (non-messenger, with more feminine features) bags can go for around $25-40. Set up a Slickdeals alert for "Timbuk2", or look on Sierra Trading Post.

Timbuk2 styling is polarizing, so look for other brands that have great warranties. I just harp on them because they've replaced my messenger bags, twice, at no cost to me.

More tips on picking a good bag: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-pick-a-handbag-that-doesnt-suck-1558157018

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

overdesigned posted:

I'm sure that for some people that's part of it. For me it was "I want to show that I'm cool and rich and Good With Money" and as it turns out that is in fact Bad With Money.

Just to be clear, I just randomly quoted you and was in no way suggesting it was something you were attempting.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

xie posted:

I would recommend an actually leather bag, they last much better and the dye tends to stay put. https://www.6pm.com has a lot of good deals if she doesn't mind wading through past season stuff, or TJ Maxx/Marshalls if there is one by you. A good quality one will be closer to $100-200, usually, but will also last several years with good care so pick a classic style that will still look good if it gets broken in (i.e. not highly structured and rigidly boxy). I'd recommend Cole Haan, Fossil can be hit or miss but are usually sturdy. If you can find a good deal (and it'll take looking) Tumi is excellent and does a lifetime warranty I think. Sometimes these will be at TJ Maxx. There are also independent bag makers on Etsy that the women's fashion thread in YLLS can point you towards.

Basically stay away from fashion brands like Steve Madden, Jessica Simpson, Michael Kors, or anything made of plastic. They're made to be bought again in 6 months.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Barry posted:

Very much so, one of their major talking points is that it's so unfair that men "have" to spend $50-$100+ just to get a shot with a woman they've only just met.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Plenty of TJ Maxx/Marshalls around, and I get 40% STP coupons weekly, good call. Thanks! We were just talking about it the other day :)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

xie posted:

My fiance swears by these things, which are durable as all gently caress and have a unique look that you may or may not find appealing.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

Very much so, one of their major talking points is that it's so unfair that men "have" to spend $50-$100+ just to get a shot with a woman they've only just met.

Hahahhahahah. I think my record spending on first date is 6-7 euros and I got together with that girl back then.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Dating in college was great. $10 for 2 at In-n-Out, free movie screening on campus, and free condoms from the health center. Not being in a steady long term relationship is bad with money (unless you married Zarugwife).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Barry posted:

Also an ancient sales technique. I'm sure back in Rome some guy named Caius or something convinced a wealthy nobleman to contract his chariot company by buying him a nice dinner.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If you're actually relying on "the implication", maybe you should take a look at your attitude towards human relationships.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

like everything else in life doing the same thing over and over and over is really boring, and if you're dating a lot, you may not want to sit in the same coffee shops over and over with different men/women. just like bringing the same bulk sandwich for lunch every single day is the "correct" move but we all still make different meals and even buy lunch sometimes.

plus if youre dating a lot it already feels like a meat grinder, literally having a stock 1st date that you just keep going on is pretty loving boring on your end too. sometimes things just come up, like you have a good time at coffee and wind up doing something else. while i appreciate fiscal responsibility if i suggested keeping it going with a ~15$ activity and they declined i'd assume they aren't interested.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I always say that the best thing about married is not having to worry about dating.

I was listening to a morning show today that was talking about dating and "What would you think of a man who uses a coupon (or similar) for the meal on your first date" and the two women on the show did no favors for their gender saying it's "Tacky" and would not continue to date that person.

They then later claimed that they don't care how much a guy makes so long as they had chemistry, hit it off, etc. Those pretty much directly contradict each other, though. And it was totally cool you guys for a second date, but the first? Ewwww gross.

So, so very happy I don't have to date people.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I'm in my early 30s and have about $200 bucks also budgeted for friends and dates and rarely even hit that since the girl I'm seeing and I usually alternate paying or end up splitting the bill when we go somewhere expensive to eat.

Barry posted:

I've found more girls are put off by the idea that i'd take them out for midrange sushi and since they were recently out of college, I'd pay.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

There are also many completely free date-activities that I think are really great. (To keep up if the coffee is doing great) like deciding to take a walk in the park, beach or whatever the gently caress. Granted they mostly revolve around summer but eh.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The real question is whether you conceal how much you make for obvious reasons, or whether you don't, for obvious reasons:

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
... I was just gonna knit myself a small handbag with stash leftovers or whatever I had kicking around. I am not much of a purse person, but women's pants pockets are freaking useless. I also figured I'd wait until I had a car and was more financially and health(ily) stable till I go try dating around.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Radbot posted:

The real question is whether you conceal how much you make for obvious reasons, or whether you don't, for obvious reasons:

The answer clearly depends on what you're seeking. Also, what's up with 18 to 22 year olds? It's like college kids don't even think about money ...oh.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
23 year olds making 100k are obviously faking it, you gotta be 25 to make six figures

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I like the small uptick at 36 for the guy making 20K

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Folly posted:

The answer clearly depends on what you're seeking. Also, what's up with 18 to 22 year olds? It's like college kids don't even think about money ...oh.

I figured it was college students not giving a poo poo.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

23 year olds making 100k are obviously faking it, you gotta be 25 to make six figures

I was thinking that in college the dynamic would be based on potential income after graduation instead of actual, current income. The theory practically proves itself based on all the ladies that hang around outside the engineering building trying to catch the eye of a promising young engineer or programmer.

Edit:

gigawhite posted:

I like the small uptick at 36 for the guy making 20K

LOL

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

Keisari posted:

Yeah I know 80 bucks is obviously too much but I guess I'm wondering if older people spend more on dates? I don't know I'm not yet old. Or 30.

No, you don't understand. Its not that they are spending $80 on the date (dinner, drinks, etc) its they are literally paying $80 for a date + expenses. Whatsyourprice.com or whatever literally boils down accepting a date down to a financial exchange.

Good with money if you are getting it, bad if you are paying?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

It's OK to make $50k if you're 21, 23, or 25, but not 22.

And 70k is poison to 28 year olds and pretty much only 28 year olds. Weird.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm sure the size of some of those populations doesn't meet statistical significance, but who wants a chart filled with holes? :)

Just thought it was interesting how, if you don't make above the median personal income for Americans, you might as well kill yourself if you're trying to date.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
This guy took me hiking on a first date and brought homemade peanut butter honey sandwiches squished up in a ziploc. When we went to a coffee shop afterwards I could tell he was stressed on buying fancy coffee so I paid for his drink. Then his car handle broke off in my hand when I got in because he was driving a super old Volvo and there was no furniture in his apartment to even sit down so we sat on the floor. Then he had the gall to expect me to pay for the wedding two years later, sheesh. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Radbot posted:

I'm sure the size of some of those populations doesn't meet statistical significance, but who wants a chart filled with holes? :)

Just thought it was interesting how, if you don't make above the median personal income for Americans, you might as well kill yourself if you're trying to date.

Presumably OKC users aren't a representative sample of Americans though.

• Locked thread