Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Chris Knight posted:

Odds are they're nearing a major service interval and the owners too cheap to do it? Lol

Got any examples?

I'm somewhat interested in something like a concours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
There's a great thread in GBS Right now about motorcycles.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Errant Gin Monks posted:

As a regular of GBS, I guarantee this is a facetious post.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

:rolleyes: again?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Link? I don't want to trawl through that mess.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
It already got gassed and the OP probated.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Lame.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I honestly don't see the point of trikes. All the downsides of a motorcycle, and all the downsides of a car in one package. Maybe an ex rider who legitimately can't ride anymore.

Crotch Fruit posted:

My idea of "fun" is different that yours. :aaaaa:

The western Kansas landscape sucks, nothing but long straight, flat, booring roads. I remember an ask/tell thread where a truck driver was revealing everything, when asked "What is the most booring road?" he said "hands down, I-70 from Denver to KC." I have rode that route and it has far more hills, trees, amd curves than my hometown. I used to drive 30 miles to get lunch, 80 miles to get groceries, 200 miles to get to a mall or shopping center, and anything remotely fun was much farther away. I know some people like driving for miles on a sports bike, but I felt it was more comfortable and thus more fun on a cruiser.

I didn't say I don't like sport bikes, I just chose a cruiser.

So what you're saying is I have to hate everything about cruisers and ride a sport bike, or ride a sport bike and point and laugh at people on cruiser bikes?

Just so you know, the real reason people are making fun of you is because you are acting like there is only 2 kinds of bikes, cruisers and sport bikes. A lot of bikes people think are sport bikes are really sport touring bikes with standard seating positions. Nothing wrong with a cruiser if that's your ride, but there are other bikes that aren't rr's (race replicas like the cbr you mentioned). Saying you bought a cruiser for comfort because rr's aren't comfortable is like saying you eat dog poo poo because cat poo poo tastes bad. It's still poo poo, and there are steaks to be had. You can make a cruiser work, but there are far better options for chewing down the miles. If you want a cruiser, then you want a cruiser, but don't make dumb excuses for it and trash other people's choices at the same time.

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 2, 2015

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Holy poo poo have you not heard of the idea of generalization? The statement I made is akin to saying "I like sports cars, but I bought a pickup to haul crap." and having you say "Your stupid you should have bought a SUV, crossover, station wagon or Tesla roadster with fold down seats." I am not going to list every last bike I road or sat on.

The only reason I even mentioned the RR is because the dealer chose to be an rear end and use one to try to "set me straight". I later chose a different hike not because of their stupid logic but too other factors, how loving hard is it to comprehend that?

I am aware there are multiple types of bikes, and I like different types of bikes, it's just my first bike is an American cruiser that usually gets a bad reputation due to the nut behind the handlebars.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
They usually get a bad reputation because they're pretty poo poo, honestly.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

iwentdoodie posted:

They usually get a bad reputation because they're pretty poo poo, honestly.

How is that? An evo sporty is a loving rock solid platform of a bike. They last forever, they have good power to weight ratio,they aren't super heavy and they handle easily.

American bikes are far from lovely. Thats a stupid a statement to make.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Could we please avoid making this a meta thread again?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
My opinion from working on Harleys is that they're fine aside from being ridiculously heavy. That one thing is enough to turn me off them, though. Weight matters a lot in bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

How is that? An evo sporty is a loving rock solid platform of a bike. They last forever, they have good power to weight ratio,they aren't super heavy and they handle easily.

American bikes are far from lovely. Thats a stupid a statement to make.

I can't comment on quality, perceived or otherwise, but 50hp to 220kg is not a good power to weight ratio.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I can't comment on quality, perceived or otherwise, but 50hp to 220kg is not a good power to weight ratio.

and it doesnt help when the baffles are torn out of the pipes for that autisticauthentic sound.

Friend of mine wants to go bike shopping. wants something definitely a sport, and or supersport. I'm trying to push him towards the 300s he's thinking 600.

buuuut it gets better. he has his endorsement, but refuses to take the MSF because " I don't need it".

yeah alright, whatever.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Slavvy posted:

Not everything is power to weight ratio. This is a stupid derail but just because some bikes aren't zoom zoom fast doesn't mean they are a lesser bike. Just different.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Not everything is power to weight ratio. This is a stupid derail but just because some bikes aren't zoom zoom fast doesn't mean they are a lesser bike. Just different.

Yes it does

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slavvy posted:

In racing maybe, but for normal driving, it's already faster than 95% of vehicles on the road. So who gives a gently caress

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Faster than 95% of vehicles on the road? I don't think so, tim.

According to this website which I got to by googling 'Harley sportster quarter mile' the 883 wheezes it's way through at 14.8 seconds. That puts it at marginally slower (lets say the same, for the benefit of the doubt) as a modern v6 camry, hardly a high powered exotic. This alone doesn't make it terrible, there are lots of smaller bikes that are equally or even more slow. But combine this with lots of weight (220kg), crap brakes (relatively small single front brake), crap suspension (no adjustment, poor geometry) and crap tyres (most cruiser tyres notoriously gripless in the wet) and you have a recipe for terribleness.

I don't know why criticising a bike for being desperately slow is always countered by 'not every bike needs to be a race bike hurrdurr'. 99% of road bikes are very slow compared to actual race bikes. It's possible to criticise something for being too slow without advocating that everything be a 200hp death machine. For example, that same page lists the ninja 650 and the gladius as having quarter mile times of ~12 seconds. The ER6 and SV650 are by no means 'fast' bikes and are often recommended as a starter bike/second bike because of their safe, friendly characteristics and mild performance.

Maybe slow and terrible is what you want because of character or looks or whatever the gently caress. That's fine. But don't get pissy at me for pointing out the bike is slow and terrible.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Slavvy posted:

According to this website which I got to by googling 'Harley sportster quarter mile' the 883 wheezes it's way through at 14.8 seconds. That puts it at marginally slower (lets say the same, for the benefit of the doubt) as a modern v6 camry, hardly a high powered exotic. This alone doesn't make it terrible, there are lots of smaller bikes that are equally or even more slow. But combine this with lots of weight (220kg), crap brakes (relatively small single front brake), crap suspension (no adjustment, poor geometry) and crap tyres (most cruiser tyres notoriously gripless in the wet) and you have a recipe for terribleness.

I don't know why criticising a bike for being desperately slow is always countered by 'not every bike needs to be a race bike hurrdurr'. 99% of road bikes are very slow compared to actual race bikes. It's possible to criticise something for being too slow without advocating that everything be a 200hp death machine. For example, that same page lists the ninja 650 and the gladius as having quarter mile times of ~12 seconds. The ER6 and SV650 are by no means 'fast' bikes and are often recommended as a starter bike/second bike because of their safe, friendly characteristics and mild performance.

Maybe slow and terrible is what you want because of character or looks or whatever the gently caress. That's fine. But don't get pissy at me for pointing out the bike is slow and terrible.

Haha. "Most cruiser type tires" what the hell are you smoking? You can put whatever tires you want on a bike, sure he factory ones my not be the best tires ever but they rarely are. If you aren't riding like a loving idiot why are you worried about super sticky tires?

As for crap brakes my bike seems to stop just fine with the brakes it has. But again I don't ride like a loving idiot and leave myself plenty of space to react. You can poo poo on cruisers for their performance until you are blue in the face but it doesn't mean they are bad bikes. They are different than your sport or touring bike sure. But each person likes different things.

The last thing on my mind at a red light is "Oh poo poo my bike takes 12 seconds to do the quarter mile. How am I EVER going to get to work safely!?!?"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Lol, there's scooters on that site faster than a Sportster.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Haha. "Most cruiser type tires" what the hell are you smoking? You can put whatever tires you want on a bike, sure he factory ones my not be the best tires ever but they rarely are. If you aren't riding like a loving idiot why are you worried about super sticky tires?

As for crap brakes my bike seems to stop just fine with the brakes it has. But again I don't ride like a loving idiot and leave myself plenty of space to react. You can poo poo on cruisers for their performance until you are blue in the face but it doesn't mean they are bad bikes. They are different than your sport or touring bike sure. But each person likes different things.

The last thing on my mind at a red light is "Oh poo poo my bike takes 12 seconds to do the quarter mile. How am I EVER going to get to work safely!?!?"

I hate being able to respond quickly to emergent issues.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Most cruisers run vanity sizes, not the standard tire sizes of front and rear in 120/70 17 front, and 160 to 190 17 rear, where you can get the most modern rubber across all variations (touring, sport touring, sport, race, etc). (And, FWIW, I'd level this same criticism at loving ADV bikes. There's no place for a 19 inch front on a roadbike, no matter how much you masturbate to Long Way Around)

The goal with road tires isn't super sticky, it's the broadest range of usability in as many conditions as possible, for that time you come around a corner and there's an oil/diesel spill, poo poo on the ground, whatever.

Like it or not, there are situations where you can give yourself as much space to react as possible, and it's still gonna come down to having to throw the bike around to dodge something you didn't anticipate.

Like different things, sure, just don't act like performance and supporting bits (like ABS, TC, and other stuff most cruisers simply don't come with) doesn't offset risks on the street.

Annnnnd the thread's gone meta again. :sigh:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 2, 2015

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Yeah I mean the stupid thing about this argument isn't the numbers, it's trying to defend your purchase with those numbers. What matters is how you feel about your bike(s), if they put a smile on your face it doesn't matter if it's a moped or a Boss Hoss, a motard or an Electra Glide Fat Bob XXXXXL, a Fine Italian Motorcycle or Generic Japanese I4 #395. There is no perfect motorcycle* and trying to pretend like yours is better because of this, that or the other just makes you look insecure and dumb.

* this excludes brand names that begin and end with the same vowel, obviously

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah I mean the stupid thing about this argument isn't the numbers, it's trying to defend your purchase with those numbers. What matters is how you feel about your bike(s), if they put a smile on your face it doesn't matter if it's a moped or a Boss Hoss, a motard or an Electra Glide Fat Bob XXXXXL, a Fine Italian Motorcycle or Generic Japanese I4 #395. There is no perfect motorcycle* and trying to pretend like yours is better because of this, that or the other just makes you look insecure and dumb.

* this excludes brand names that begin and end with the same vowel, obviously

The best bikes are the ones where they underreport their displacement in their model numbers by exactly 11ccs. It's like a little shared secret between you and Krampus, in case you need a little extra help from the dark side.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Z3n posted:

Most cruisers run vanity sizes, not the standard tire sizes of front and rear in 120/70 17 front, and 160 to 190 17 rear, where you can get the most modern rubber across all variations (touring, sport touring, sport, race, etc). (And, FWIW, I'd level this same criticism at loving ADV bikes. There's no place for a 19 inch front on a roadbike, no matter how much you masturbate to Long Way Around)

What? The normal front end on most HDs is around 130/80-16. Rear is a 16 inch 150-180.

Now dont get me wrong there are plenty of models with a 21 inch skinny rear end front tire but hey are the minority of the bikes.

But again this is becoming "stupid motorcycle poo poo" instead of being overheard.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

When I left my MSF course after the first day, there were four bikes lined up at the stoplight. My Ninja 600, A CBR1000, a Sportster, and some flavor of plated dirtbike. I was the only one not to wheelie across the intersection. I carry the shame with me to this day.

That Sportster's rider really knew how to get every ounce of torque out of that motor and it had it in spades. It ran out of breath around 60mph (about the time the CBR was shifting into 2nd), but it was still an impressive display.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What? The normal front end on most HDs is around 130/80-16. Rear is a 16 inch 150-180.

Now dont get me wrong there are plenty of models with a 21 inch skinny rear end front tire but hey are the minority of the bikes.

But again this is becoming "stupid motorcycle poo poo" instead of being overheard.

I can't think of any modern sport touring tires come in 16 inches - Pirelli Angel GTs, Pilot Road 3s/4s are my go to street tires and neither of them offer a 16. The PR3s have one option in the 18 inch size, but seriously - 16 inch wheels just don't have the availability and competition that drives tire development. The funny thing is that cruisers would outbrake the gently caress out of sportbikes due to their long wheelbases if their tires were stickier. As it is, they about break even despite a significant geometry advantage, primarily due to brakes that require insane amounts of force to actuate, and lovely tires.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

You're all tedious.

Stupid motorcycle related poo poo.

quote:

From personal experience, I can tell you that maintaining perfect throttle control during circle wheelies is a god-like skill

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

As stated, you don't need to be riding 'like a loving idiot' to need to be able to stop/swerve suddenly.

The thing on my mind would be 'oh poo poo my bike performs desperately poorly in every measurable way, to the point of potentially crashing me in avoidable circumstances, despite my having paid an enormous premium to own it'.

People shell out copious quantities to own such bikes and I can't really understand it because you don't appear to get anything of value for your money. I don't understand the deliberate and targeted obsolescence of every component, with modern features only being (reluctantly) added because of legislative pressures. I don't see the 'fun' in riding something that rides like a bike from 35 years ago surrounded by modern vehicles driven by blind mentally impaired terminally distracted retards. This is especially perplexing when considering the fact that Harley are perfectly capable of building decent modern bikes; the v-rod is a cruiser that handles decent, has decent power and is generally made to the standard considered acceptable by today's market. I don't know why cruisers get a pass on poo poo that would get other types of bike laughed out of the showroom. If that makes me stupid bike poo poo, then I am stupid bike poo poo.

As an aside EGM, despite my knowing deep within my scrotum that you're wrong about this, I follow your build thread and I think your bike is really cool and interesting.

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

Went to a dealer recently to check out a used CBR 250 and was asking the technician about the bikes history and he just kept saying "It's was owned by a girl, so you know it wasn't ridden that hard."

:chloe:
Basically my face the whole time.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Unironically agree and that article is right.

Stunters get no respect here and we ran off a stunter goon who was p. good but what they do takes a lot of skill

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Slavvy posted:

As stated, you don't need to be riding 'like a loving idiot' to need to be able to stop/swerve suddenly.

The thing on my mind would be 'oh poo poo my bike performs desperately poorly in every measurable way, to the point of potentially crashing me in avoidable circumstances, despite my having paid an enormous premium to own it'.

People shell out copious quantities to own such bikes and I can't really understand it because you don't appear to get anything of value for your money. I don't understand the deliberate and targeted obsolescence of every component, with modern features only being (reluctantly) added because of legislative pressures. I don't see the 'fun' in riding something that rides like a bike from 35 years ago surrounded by modern vehicles driven by blind mentally impaired terminally distracted retards. This is especially perplexing when considering the fact that Harley are perfectly capable of building decent modern bikes; the v-rod is a cruiser that handles decent, has decent power and is generally made to the standard considered acceptable by today's market. I don't know why cruisers get a pass on poo poo that would get other types of bike laughed out of the showroom. If that makes me stupid bike poo poo, then I am stupid bike poo poo.

As an aside EGM, despite my knowing deep within my scrotum that you're wrong about this, I follow your build thread and I think your bike is really cool and interesting.

Desperately poorly is a slight hyperbole. Most things that could be said about cruisers (slow, no abs, meh brakes, impractical, uncomfortable, weird tire sizes) could also be said about most supermotos, and you'd be hard pressed to find a goon here that would call a DRZ a deathtrap.

VVVV :iceburn:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 3, 2015

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

oh poo poo my bike performs desperately poorly in every measurable way

But enough about your Honda.

I'm not overly fond of HD, but this is just getting silly.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Debugario posted:

Went to a dealer recently to check out a used CBR 250 and was asking the technician about the bikes history and he just kept saying "It's was owned by a girl, so you know it wasn't ridden that hard."

:chloe:
Basically my face the whole time.

My coworker bought a used ninja 300 with like 4k miles on it and the rear tire was completely squared off. The previous owner was female and I said "with the tire that squared off, she was probably 400 pounds".

He believed me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Stunters get no respect here and we ran off a stunter goon who was p. good but what they do takes a lot of skill

Agree with this mostly but they're usually not very good at riding bikes fast. There was an article in a local mag where they got NZ's best stunter to teach the editor some stunts and in return got to go to a sportsbike school at the local race track. Both parties were blown away apparently.

Debugario posted:

It's always a relief to know there are people IRL who are far worse than my posts. That is terrible.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

But enough about your Honda.

I'm not overly fond of HD, but this is just getting silly.

You missed the bullseye there, should've said Hyosung.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Marxalot posted:

Desperately poorly is a slight hyperbole. Most things that could be said about cruisers (slow, no abs, meh brakes, impractical, uncomfortable, weird tire sizes) could also be said about most supermotos, and you'd be hard pressed to find a goon here that would call a DRZ a deathtrap.

Supermotos have great brakes, great handling and standard 17 inch rubber?

The best bike is the bike you ride.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

ReelBigLizard posted:

The best bike is the bike you ride.

I've ridden a Vstar 650 and a Shadow 750 and I personally don't understand the appeal of cruisers, that being said if you ride, and ride a bunch I will respect you for it.

If you have a $20000 Harley sitting in your garage that you ride to go get wings every Wednesday night and at no other time and put less than 1000 miles on every riding season, then I'm probably not going to respect you as a rider. Or care about that pretty bike of yours.

Get something you like and ride the piss out of it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The "comfort" of a bike is totally subjective. I've met people that go touring on stock Busas.* Of the three bikes I've owned, the most comfortable for me was my little V-Star 250.

*This reminds me, we got a phone call a while back that was funny:
"Thanks for calling Cyclegear this is Mike how can I help you?"
"Well, Mike, I was going to ask you about something, but first here's another question- I just passed a Hayabusa with hard bags on it. What the hell does a Hayabusa need saddlebags for?"
"Surprisingly, some people ride them long distance."
"What the hell? That makes no goddamn sense! How the hell do they do that?!"

nsaP posted:

Actual stunters are cool and it does take a lot of skill. What's annoying is the idiots doing wheelies on their "professionally" crushed tanks at 90mph down the freeway or burnouts in the parking lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've given up riding with every group of guys I've met because they ALL have That Guy who will not keep two wheels on the ground or his rear end on the seat/feet off his handlebars at speed. I get it, you're really good at being a goddamned monkey. You're also doing stupid poo poo that may result in someone riding with us dying, whether it's you or someone you hosed up into, above and beyond the already present risk of riding.

And they always want to do it at the front of the group so everyone can see.

• Locked thread