Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Under NCAA rules, am I allowed to give money to a close family friend of a Tennessee player? Should I be? Could I abuse this in some way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Under NCAA rules, am I allowed to give money to a close family friend of a Tennessee player? Should I be? Could I abuse this in some way?

AAU_basketball.txt

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, I like the Baylor blog's take on this: Clearly what Nacita should have done is sell enough autographs to pay rent, then he'd only lose half a game after a few months of painstaking deliberations.

Nacita's not a star player getting ESPN time so they'd throw down the hammer and then bust Baylor for a major violation.

If the NCAA is going to be prick about this here's hoping Baylor at least kicks in an academic scholarship.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Korranus posted:

Nacita's not a star player getting ESPN time so they'd throw down the hammer and then bust Baylor for a major violation.

If the NCAA is going to be prick about this here's hoping Baylor at least kicks in an academic scholarship.

He's already got a scholarship - it didn't cover room and board though. Doesn't sound like Nacita's living situation was widely known outside of his teammates. If the NCAA doesn't reconsider, then yeah, I really hope Baylor helps him out with room and board. It'd be the right thing to do, considering his associated with the football team made it a problem to begin with.

Edit: Academic scholarship, I should clarify. Like I've said before, this ruling makes me madder more because it's extremely disingenous of the NCAA to assert that Nacita's situation is worth bringing down the banhammer considering the whole littany of offenses other players have committed with much less punishment.

Edit 2: Wait. What? https://twitter.com/NCAA/status/570666155297382400

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 25, 2015

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

On the other hand, Baylor's AD has already dropped him like a hot potato.

quote:

"Silas Nacita will not be a part of the football program moving forward due to rules violations that impact his eligibility," Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw said in a statement released by the school. "We appreciate his contributions to Baylor football and wish him well as he completes his studies."

So obviously there's some confusion and possibly some spin doctoring on the part of the NCAA. Must be the offseason.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 25, 2015

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
gently caress the NCAA?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Sash! posted:

Sometimes the dog is just asking for it

Seems to be the motto up there all around at Penn State.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
thanks for the hot scoop

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

This is a pretty lovely situation if Baylor dropped a walk on because they were worried that sanctions would be dropped on them or a family friend giving him a place to stay. The kid might be mistaken thinking the ruling was from the NCAA, which even if Baylor hasn't submitted the paperwork because they don't want to get whacked with an infraction, it is still the NCAA's fault.

This guy sounds like an actual student athlete. You don't just get into Cornell

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Korranus posted:

So obviously there's some confusion and possibly some spin doctoring on the part of the NCAA. Must be the offseason.

Classy move Baylor.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Korranus posted:

Holy poo poo, go gently caress yourselves Baylor.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
No it's ok guys it's just the gentle hand of bureaucracy taking its time fixing a completely inconsequential and ignorable situation.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Actually, I think I buy the NCAA's side of the story. I'm thinking someone high up at Baylor (admin, boosters, legislative team, etc) got wind of this kid's situation. Seeing as how Boise State got nailed with a major violation for something kind of similar last year, the athletic department panicked and disposed of Nacita (a walk-on and therefore disposable) to keep the NCAA from even having to pick up the phone.

I hope that's not the case because if it is Baylor would deserve all the embarrassing PR and backpedaling coming to them.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Korranus posted:

Actually, I think I buy the NCAA's side of the story. I'm thinking someone high up at Baylor (admin, boosters, legislative team, etc) got wind of this kid's situation. Seeing as how Boise State got nailed with a major violation for something kind of similar last year, the athletic department panicked and disposed of Nacita (a walk-on and therefore disposable) to keep the NCAA from even having to pick up the phone.

I hope that's not the case because if it is Baylor would deserve all the embarrassing PR and backpedaling coming to them.

What's making this confusing is that Nacita definitely referred to it as the NCAA's decision. So either the NCAA actually made the decision and is in the middle of a titanic gaffe, or Nacita misunderstood what was going on and Baylor is in the middle of a titanic gaffe - albeit one still rooted in the NCAA's rules.

My head hurts.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I've heard that the doctor's offices next to the weed stores in california (where you go to get your weed card) also offer service animal outfits for your pets and/or notes saying you need to take your pet everywhere. I agree that nothing should be done about this, but lol anyway. This is how you end up on a plane where two "service dogs" are wrestling and growling and barking in the aisle.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Per NCAA: "The NCAA did not declare Silas Nacita ineligible and Baylor has not requested a waiver for him."

This tells me it's what Korranus said. Baylor's decision, with their hand basically being forced by the NCAA's rule.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DJExile posted:

Per NCAA: "The NCAA did not declare Silas Nacita ineligible and Baylor has not requested a waiver for him."

This tells me it's what Korranus said. Baylor's decision, with their hand basically being forced by the NCAA's rule.

Yeah. I'm not sure how to feel about this situation if this is in fact the case. On the one hand it sucks that Nacita can't play, moreso if the athletic department's just dropping him like a sack of potatoes. On the other hand, in the not-at-all-unlikely event that Baylor only recently caught wind of Nacita's living situation, what do they do then? If they bring it up to the NCAA it's still entirely likely that the NCAA drops Nacita like a sack of potatoes and drops off some sanctions just as a bonus. If they hide it, well, they run the risk of it coming out another way, Nacita again getting dropped like a sack of potatoes and the sanctions hurting worse.

My head hurts.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DJExile posted:

The plot thickens:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...-193612512.html

quote:

According to David Smoak, who works for an ESPN station in Central Texas that profiled Nacita during the 2014 season, Nacita was given options to relieve his homelessness and stay within NCAA rules and might not have taken advantage of them.

Smoak also noted that Nacita was told of potential housing options prior to accepting housing from a friend.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

School paper's tweeting that Baylor's going to release a fuller statement later today.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
"It's not our fault he wouldn't take this voucher for a BAYLOR-brand tent!"

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Somebody tried to steal Howard's Rock again.

It looks like the new case did its job, but I wonder how close they were to being able to move the whole pedestal since it's crooked in that shot.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So what would have been the options for a homeless player? I am genuinely curious as to what options he would have had to keep himself from sleeping outside.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

So what would have been the options for a homeless player? I am genuinely curious as to what options he would have had to keep himself from sleeping outside.

From the article I cited above:

quote:

It's worth noting that for Nacita to be declared ineligible by the university he would have had to have taken the apartment from a Baylor booster or someone with ties to the university not just a plain old family friend.

There are also some inconsistencies in his story of how he got from Cornell to Baylor. It smells like a bagman has been involved, but I'll await further information before making that leap.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

There are also some inconsistencies in his story of how he got from Cornell to Baylor. It smells like a bagman has been involved, but I'll await further information before making that leap.

A bagman for a 4th-string, walk-on RB? And if Baylor pulled some shady poo poo to get him there, why draw attention to him by dumping him like this?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Spiritus Nox posted:

A bagman for a 4th-string, walk-on RB? And if Baylor pulled some shady poo poo to get him there, why draw attention to him by dumping him like this?
Though there are crazy boosters at every level of college sports, nowhere would a walk-on be given that kind of treatment...

Unless they were secretly trying to save scholarship space and it was getting out :tinfoil:

Seriously though, I feel pretty bad for the kid and hope that things get made right for him, though I'm pretty sure he won't play at Baylor :smith:.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

There's another purported witness account of the dog incident that boils down to a few people tried to interact with the dog before the players came by and they just happened to be the last straw for the owner. Totally understandable from her perspective but they didn't have the context for the reaction they got. I don't know if that's the whole story but sounds like an apology and some volunteering with the disabled and/or veterans would be sufficient, and that seems like what will happen.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I'm entitled to pet a dog.

Dogs owe met pets.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spiritus Nox posted:

Baylor's not had bagmen for football in almost 3 decades. You should give them a break for being a bit out of practice.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Though there are crazy boosters at every level of college sports, nowhere would a walk-on be given that kind of treatment...

Unless they were secretly trying to save scholarship space and it was getting out :tinfoil:

Seriously though, I feel pretty bad for the kid and hope that things get made right for him, though I'm pretty sure he won't play at Baylor :smith:.

I mean, Nacita's been a fan favorite and he's good for a walk-on, but RB's been one of Baylor's stronger positions for a while now. I'm not so naive as to rule out the possibility that Baylor's cheating, but it doesn't make any sense for them to set out to cheat to get Nacita. I'd sooner believe there was under the table poo poo over Seastrunk or Stidham.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 25, 2015

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean, Nacita's been a fan favorite and he's good for a walk-on, but RB's been one of Baylor's stronger positions for a while now. I'm not so naive as to rule out the possibility that Baylor's cheating, but it doesn't make any sense for them to set out to cheat to get Nacita. I'd sooner believe there was under the table poo poo over Seastrunk or Stidham.

The Stidham poo poo was very much over the table.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

From the article I cited above:

Yeah this doesn't answer my question other than the guy may have been tied to the athletic department (bag man). What it doesn't answer is lets say a student is homeless or whatever, what safeguards does the NCAA have in place to find them housing? Like that one guy who was literally living in his car and the college had to say don't offer him a place to stay because it could be a benefit and they had to petition the NCAA to get approval to let him live in dorms faster. So what can be done by a school who knows a player is homeless?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah this doesn't answer my question other than the guy may have been tied to the athletic department (bag man). What it doesn't answer is lets say a student is homeless or whatever, what safeguards does the NCAA have in place to find them housing? Like that one guy who was literally living in his car and the college had to say don't offer him a place to stay because it could be a benefit and they had to petition the NCAA to get approval to let him live in dorms faster. So what can be done by a school who knows a player is homeless?

I guess you're referring to the Boise State guy that students and boosters wanted to help out and were told no. The NCAA was asked for and approved a waiver to grant him immediate assistance before he officially enrolled.

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" doesn't work with the NCAA. You have to have permission first.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

single-mode fiber posted:

Dogs owe met pets.

A dog can be petted on the head or back up to 15 times, but a belly rub is an impermissible benefit as it is not available to other pets, such as cats or fish.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

I guess you're referring to the Boise State guy that students and boosters wanted to help out and were told no. The NCAA was asked for and approved a waiver to grant him immediate assistance before he officially enrolled.

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" doesn't work with the NCAA. You have to have permission first.

I think it was Boise, but it still surprises me that there isn't something more official in place. A lot of places, football is seen as a way out, some of the kids are living in really terrible situations at home. Why wouldn't they put into place some contingency about players who are hard up or have no place to live, especially over summers / breaks.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

KKKLIP ART posted:

I think it was Boise, but it still surprises me that there isn't something more official in place. A lot of places, football is seen as a way out, some of the kids are living in really terrible situations at home. Why wouldn't they put into place some contingency about players who are hard up or have no place to live, especially over summers / breaks.

In an article about the Boise player it mentioned some fund that the NCAA had set up to help players but like most things the NCAA does it had too many rules to be of a whole lot of use. The big two were a.)you couldn't be on scholarship and b.)you had to be enrolled. Not sure why this kid from Baylor didn't go that route. Maybe he didn't know and Baylor did a bad job educating him?

edit: found the article talking about what I was saying. Emphasis mine.

SBNation posted:

Leonard: The Student Assistance Fund is money provided to institutions by the NCAA to be used for any number of things that benefit student-athletes. And it's used often. A few examples of SAF use would be if a student-athlete needs a flight home to attend a funeral or if a student-athlete has a child and needs assistance with daycare.

In this particular case, Boise would have to file a waiver to use SAF for Turner, because Turner isn't technically a student-athlete yet. He's still a prospect until he steps onto campus for his first full day of classes and attends class in June.

SB Nation: So something like a student-athlete who finds himself homeless, there's actually a fund set up by the NCAA to assist that.

Leonard: Correct. The SAF fund could be used. The SAF fund is one of the positive things the NCAA has created to assist student-athletes.

SB Nation: What doesn't the SAF cover? Obviously this money could just be handed to any player that's deemed needy by the standards of the current cost-of-attendance debate.

Leonard: Correct. There are a few restrictions, such as it can't be used to supplement a grant-in-aid or as a student-athlete stipend.

Link to the full article: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/5/16/5722074/antoine-turner-boise-state-football-player-ncaa

drunk leprechaun fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 26, 2015

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

To make it a uniform rule equally applicable and enforceable to all situations, you have to be able to define very precisely what "hard up" means so that no one can plead misunderstanding or lack of clarity. Otherwise, it will be abused to hell and back by every team using its own definition of who's needy.

Rather than open that :can: of enforcement nightmares, it's far simpler to ban all assistance prior to official enrollment, then grant waivers for specific situations when requested.

Basically, you can't leave any regulation up to "reasonableness" or expect teams to adhere to the spirit of a rule, because they won't. History has shown often and repeatedly that every last detail has to be in black and white or somebody will figure out a way to get around it. Thus, there isn't really any way to leave it up to schools themselves to determine who's needy and who isn't, so the only real alternative is to go the waiver route.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 26, 2015

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Have you seen our special teams?

He's not the ST coach. We're good at blocking and returning kicks and horrible on coverage, doing that isn't exactly brain surgery.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Rather than open that :can: of enforcement nightmares, it's far simpler to ban all assistance prior to official enrollment, then grant waivers for specific situations when requested.

I agree with you on that. If you sign a letter of intent and it is from graduation of high school to the first day of classes, maybe the school could offer housing in the student dorms at any point? Maybe this plus a stipend/cost of living (oh no paying players!) would help out in those types of situations/

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I didn't see it posted, but

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=917757818256223

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Its just the SECNCAA trying to steal Baylors hard earned chamoionship like they did last year and will somehow in the elite eight again this year

• Locked thread