Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Except it's loving gross. 2% club for life. :rms:

2% makes for bad latte art, I refuse to use anything less than 3.25% for my hipster morning ritual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So is gose.

Gose is good. Drink gose.

Is it weird that I didn't think it was odd that at first glance someone here was suggesting that people drink liquefied goose?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Casu Marzu posted:

Toss the stuff in a jug of water, strain out when you think its done. It's not like you can overextract rooibos

How many packets of Rooibos should I put in a gallon or two?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

89 posted:

How many packets of Rooibos should I put in a gallon or two?

Depends on the size of the packets, so unless you're harvesting the tea from your garden, I'd suggest you try and read what the box says

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is it an American thing to hate milk I have never heard anyone else have so much negative things to say about milk. Eggs too. And caffeine. Actually everything is bad for you, just stop loving eating.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

al-azad posted:

Is it an American thing to hate milk I have never heard anyone else have so much negative things to say about milk. Eggs too. And caffeine. Actually everything is bad for you, just stop loving eating.

It's the usual bias where if someone doesn't like a thing they denounce that thing loudly. My thing with milk is sort of the opposite of yours, I see it passed off as the healthiest health drink and you should always let your kids have unlimited amounts and you will die from diseases if you don't drink at least a glass a day.

Eggs are a running joke about how they go back between good and bad, last change was 'never mind they're good,' but I don't think I've ever heard a serious person say "I don't eat eggs because I think they're unhealthy." If anything the fitness crazies I know go nuts for them.

I don't think I've ever heard an American talk badly about caffeine unless they're a Mormon or sXe HARDCORE PUNK STRAIGHT EDGE LIFE

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I don't think I've ever heard an American talk badly about caffeine unless they're a Mormon or sXe HARDCORE PUNK STRAIGHT EDGE LIFE

Or a conservative christian libertarian who's really into homeopathy and living off the land.

I grew up with a strange set.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

YLLS is leaking

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It's the usual bias where if someone doesn't like a thing they denounce that thing loudly. My thing with milk is sort of the opposite of yours, I see it passed off as the healthiest health drink and you should always let your kids have unlimited amounts and you will die from diseases if you don't drink at least a glass a day.

Eggs are a running joke about how they go back between good and bad, last change was 'never mind they're good,' but I don't think I've ever heard a serious person say "I don't eat eggs because I think they're unhealthy." If anything the fitness crazies I know go nuts for them.

People, especially kids and older women, are recommended to drink milk because of the calcium content. Milk is a cheap, easily accessible, easily digested form of a calcium rich food which will help children grow up with strong bones and will help stop old ladies bones from crumbling away from osteoporosis.
Of course there are other sources of calcium in your diet, yoghurt, cheese, soy milk, tofu, some fish, some vegetables, almonds etc, but milk has the highest ratio of calcium in general, which is why people are told to drink milk.
Get some calcium in your diet (and other good stuff too). Eat real food, not too much.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

There's a loooot of other foods that provide calcium though. The calcium argument is almost a wives tale considering how much good leafy greens do, and those also provide fiber which a lot of people seem to have trouble getting.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You're very upset about milk.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Eat what you want, don't eat what you don't. If you want to talk nutrition go here please tia :)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You're very upset about milk.

Seriously. Did a milk cow burn your city down or something?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Milk rocks, I love milk always drink a milk.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've heard it evokes a similar chemical response to stress along with its stimulant effect.

My doctor also told me to stop drinking caffeine for now, probably for the same reason.

My doctor also told me to stop eating acidic foods for now. I was going to make enough pasta salad with a red wine vinaigrette to last me most of a week, but I guess that's out. What else can I do with a cold pasta salad with chicken, aside from pesto? I'm considering the pesto, but I'm concerned about pesto breath at work.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Without milk I don't have chai or lassi and that makes me an empty shell of a man.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My doctor also told me to stop eating acidic foods for now. I was going to make enough pasta salad with a red wine vinaigrette to last me most of a week, but I guess that's out. What else can I do with a cold pasta salad with chicken, aside from pesto? I'm considering the pesto, but I'm concerned about pesto breath at work.

How about a little olive oil and mayonnaise? If you're worried about bad breath then you can make your own pesto minus the garlic.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 26, 2015

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Lemon juice and olive oil or herbs + lemon juice + some salt make a great quick dressing with optional garlic

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

^^ I think you missed the part where he isn't eating acids

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

I have recently acquired some dried peppers - more specifically 6 dried bhut jolokia (ghost peppers) and a dozen dried Carolina reapers. Unfortunately, I don't have the first clue what to do with them. My tolerance for spicy food is that I love it up to the point where I sweat when I eat it, but I fear these peppers are beyond me.

Any ideas what to do with them?

Also, I have some ghost pepper and Thai bird chile seeds I was thinking about growing this summer, but I live in Tennessee. I think that is not hot/humid enough for the ghost peppers, but I want to try anyways. No clue about the birds. Any ideas for growing them?

Thanks in advance

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Remove the stems, deseed them, simmer in broth until soft, then puree. You now how a paste that can instantly spice up anything.

Or add one (seriously, one is all that's needed) to curry, chili, stew, and so on.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Happiness Commando posted:

Yeah, it really blows. No spicy, no fried, no greasy, no caffeine, no acid, no alcohol (although I'm ignoring that one since I barely drink anyway). I can't wait until this is over.

edit: Can I freeze ripe bananas to have them keep longer? I just use them for smoothies, so I've got a bunch here that is a day or two from being overripe.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 26, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Bananas will turn to mush if you thaw them but it doesn't matter if you're making smoothies.

Bananas are pretty good frozen.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's what I was figuring, I just wanted to make sure it didn't mess up the flavor or something else I wouldn't anticipate. Thanks.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Bollock Monkey posted:

So don't drink excessive amounts of either pop or milk? I don't understand why this is becoming an argument.

Anyway, I've recently discovered fancy nutty/grainy salads. I'd like to make some at home, any suggestions for good things to put in them? Should you cook cous cous/quinoa/etc as normal and then shock with cold water or are they fine to just cool on the side and in the fridge?

Just reposting because it got lost in milkchat.

I am a total noob when it comes to these sorts of salads (spent many years being squicked out by the texture of those sorts of grains), advice appreciated.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Happiness Commando posted:

I definitely did! Sorry for your stomach/taste buds! I don't know if greek yogurt is acidic, I would bet so, but you can use that in place of mayo if you wanted to make a herb and greek yogurt pasta salad dressing.

And as you were already told, frozen bananas rule, but I would dice them up and freeze them rather than leaving them whole in the peel.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

al-azad posted:

Is it an American thing to hate milk I have never heard anyone else have so much negative things to say about milk.
It's just started to happen recently.

This fucker in the lunchroom said "I don't drink milk from cows",:smug: as he drank his little cup of almond milk.

I said "yea, you drink nut-water".

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
It's not even like almond milk is that much better. Most of the "superfood" qualities of an almond are left behind when they make it and it takes a crazy amount of water to grow the almonds and then process them into milk. Coconut is probably the best environmentally and least processed, but unless you live somewhere warm enough, it's got large transport costs.
I'll keep drinking my cows milk from Stewart's which is milked 30 miles away. Upstate NY gets a win there. If I was fancier I could also get milk delivered from meadowbrook farms, about 10 miles away.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Only adorable things drink milk. Get out u fuggos

edit: Urine is sterile, get over yourself. Besides. Industrial milking is done with milking machines, which are aggressively sanitised, and cow's udders are nowhere near the urethra. You probably just got a badly scienced batch.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 26, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm glad this thread is arguing about milk instead of laughing at me over the very-real possibility that I accidentally ingested a cow's urine.

paraquat posted:

That will give you your money back, definitely.
but then they'll just throw away the package and nothing is done about it.

if there's a fault in the production process that needs to be fixed, you need to address the manufacturer itself and/or the authorities.

edit: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm049087.htm
also, insert a batch number when you mail the manufacturer

I'd like to get it tested at a lab if I can. I saved the carton, but I already poured out the rest of the milk, and I rinsed the carton out in the sink a couple of times, so I don't know if there's anything left in there for a lab to find. However, I actually have a SECOND, unopened carton of the same milk sitting in my fridge that I bought along with the bad one. Maybe that one has bad stuff in it, too?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 26, 2015

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I'm glad this thread is arguing about milk instead of laughing at me over the very-real possibility that I accidentally ingested a cow's urine.

I'd like to get it tested at a lab if I can. I saved the carton, but I already poured out the rest of the milk, and I rinsed the carton out in the sink a couple of times, so I don't know if there's anything left in there for a lab to find. However, I actually have a SECOND, unopened carton of the same milk sitting in my fridge that I bought along with the bad one. Maybe that one has bad stuff in it, too?

I think it's cheaper to test it yourself.
drink a cup of cow's piss and compare it to the "milk" in your unopened carton.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Casu Marzu posted:

Seriously. Did a milk cow burn your city down or something?

Hey, I'm from Chicago and 100 years in the past. We take that poo poo seriously.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Daedalus Esquire posted:

It's not even like almond milk is that much better. Most of the "superfood" qualities of an almond are left behind when they make it and it takes a crazy amount of water to grow the almonds and then process them into milk. Coconut is probably the best environmentally and least processed, but unless you live somewhere warm enough, it's got large transport costs.
I'll keep drinking my cows milk from Stewart's which is milked 30 miles away. Upstate NY gets a win there. If I was fancier I could also get milk delivered from meadowbrook farms, about 10 miles away.

Drink water, eat almonds, you're good to go

Almonds are delicious

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

So what's up with pork and apples? Any suggested recipe? I hear it is quite the tasty combination.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

KettleWL posted:

I definitely did! Sorry for your stomach/taste buds! I don't know if greek yogurt is acidic, I would bet so, but you can use that in place of mayo if you wanted to make a herb and greek yogurt pasta salad dressing.
I hope it isn't, because I put about a half cup of greek yogurt in my morning smoothie. The only thing I can find about specifically greek yogurt and acid is the acid whey byproduct. So hopefully that means it's less acidic than normal yogurt. Looking up the pH of milk, it looks like it's slightly acidic. I'll keep an eye on how my stomach feels with the yogurt and milk and go from there, I guess. It's weird, my doctor specifically mentioned milk as good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Yes I'm sure they sold you a bottle of cow piss instead of, you know, you got a bottle of milk that had turned. It happens all the time in factories where the milk bottling equipment is right next to the cow piss bottling equipment.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yes I'm sure they sold you a bottle of cow piss instead of, you know, you got a bottle of milk that had turned. It happens all the time in factories where the milk bottling equipment is right next to the cow piss bottling equipment.

Somebody get PETA on the horn so they can tell us how it's also full of puss, semen, dirt, and blood.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bollock Monkey posted:

Just reposting because it got lost in milkchat.

I am a total noob when it comes to these sorts of salads (spent many years being squicked out by the texture of those sorts of grains), advice appreciated.

Some people say to give them a rinse in cold water after you cook them (like, put them in a colander/strainer and gently fluff them with a spoon for a few seconds while cold water is running over them) .

I'd say that's a bit needless, and suggest you just cook them at a 1:1.33 ratio between them and broth, simmering, covered, for 13 or 14 minutes and then just setting aside to cool. If dino says something different listen to him, but I like how mine come out. Not mushy at all.

Avocado and finely diced, raw onions are great with couscous or quinoa as a salad, and I like adding chunks of sharp cheese, or just feta. If you are putting in cucumbers, I'd suggest coring or deseeding them because the seeds make things really watery. I like to put large-grated carrots, some raisins or chopped olives or mint, or citrus zest. Even some capers. Roasted garlic is great. Nuts are good. My dad likes pistachios or almonds, I prefer pecans or walnuts - not nuts but garbanzo beans or kidney beans are good textures, too.

I don't like adding tomatoes to salads like that, but I like tomatoes in general. I'd put salmon or bacon or other chopped meats, as well.

Orange or lime juice, fish sauce, pepper flakes or paprika, and if you want it a bit of sugar, whisked together make a really nice dressing.

I don't have any specific recipes off the top of my head, but pick three or four things I listed and give it a shot. It's hard to gently caress up.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I hope it isn't, because I put about a half cup of greek yogurt in my morning smoothie. The only thing I can find about specifically greek yogurt and acid is the acid whey byproduct. So hopefully that means it's less acidic than normal yogurt. Looking up the pH of milk, it looks like it's slightly acidic. I'll keep an eye on how my stomach feels with the yogurt and milk and go from there, I guess. It's weird, my doctor specifically mentioned milk as good.

Well I think any yogurt will be acidic. It is produced through fermentation by lactobacilllus and thermophilus bacteria, which consumes milk stuff and produces lactic acid, giving yogurt its characteristic tang.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Drifter posted:

Some people say to give them a rinse in cold water after you cook them (like, put them in a colander/strainer and gently fluff them with a spoon for a few seconds while cold water is running over them) .

I'd say that's a bit needless, and suggest you just cook them at a 1:1.33 ratio between them and broth, simmering, covered, for 13 or 14 minutes and then just setting aside to cool. If dino says something different listen to him, but I like how mine come out. Not mushy at all.

Avocado and finely diced, raw onions are great with couscous or quinoa as a salad, and I like adding chunks of sharp cheese, or just feta. If you are putting in cucumbers, I'd suggest coring or deseeding them because the seeds make things really watery. I like to put large-grated carrots, some raisins or chopped olives or mint, or citrus zest. Even some capers. Roasted garlic is great. Nuts are good. My dad likes pistachios or almonds, I prefer pecans or walnuts - not nuts but garbanzo beans or kidney beans are good textures, too.

I don't like adding tomatoes to salads like that, but I like tomatoes in general. I'd put salmon or bacon or other chopped meats, as well.

Orange or lime juice, fish sauce, pepper flakes or paprika, and if you want it a bit of sugar, whisked together make a really nice dressing.

I don't have any specific recipes off the top of my head, but pick three or four things I listed and give it a shot. It's hard to gently caress up.
I feel like that's true of raw tomatoes, but roasted tomatoes, tomato confit or sun dried tomatoes in olive oil go great in hearty salads like that though.
One of my favorite salads is lacinanto kale, quinoa, almonds, roasted tomato, fresh peas and feta or goat cheese. Garbanzos work too. Or as you mentioned, any sort of cooked bean, other nuts, roasted root veg, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Bob Morales posted:

So what's up with pork and apples? Any suggested recipe? I hear it is quite the tasty combination.

Oh man, my grandmother made the best Pork & Sauerkraut with apples.

Basically just roast the pork in a roasting pan using -

1 can of sauerkraut
2+ large apples, cut into thick slices
2 onions, chopped
1/3 cup brown sugar
1+ beer (I like pilsners or dark/amber beer)
German/Brat mustard (the thick grain poo poo)
1 giant dab of butter on top of the pork

Combine the beer, brown sugar, and mustard in a separate bowl and then pour it over top of the sauerkraut, apples, onions, and pork loin.

Let that roast for as long as you want, occasionally spooning the sauce back on top of the roast every so often.

Also this is pretty much guaranteed to make you fart up a storm, so be prepared.