Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That's the stuff. Tried to find my favorite one, with Walt going all I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS, and it ending with him telling Skylar WE HAVE TO LEAVE. I love how they draw that guy.

Anyway, need some help. Trying to figure out why I found Agent Carter so....inconsequential. Like I was watching ABC Family, instead of ABC. Is that a conscious choice? Because Agents of Shield shares that as well, this sort of waddling separating the show from the real world and any real depth. IDK maybe its just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Marvel/Disney is not the place to look to for any real depth.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It was a 6 episode side story about a side character with exactly one character trait (look at her do "man things" in a man's world!) from a movie set 70 years ago in the same universe as the show. Of course it felt inconsequential.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I went back to last Thursday's posts hunting for talk about Allegiance (starting to become decent, might be worth continuing to watch despite being an NBC product) and found Two and a Half Men finale talk. Might have to check it out given it sounds like they bitched about their own show for an hour.

I watched when Sheen was on it and his last season was leading up to a potentially great payoff (Manny Queen/Rose's mind games swaying Charlie to fall in love with her/"How's this going to play out?"). It was one of those shows that I watched and kinda felt guilty for doing so because it wasn't really that great, but just enough to keep my interest. I watched the first episode with Kutcher & that ended it for me.

I wish Lorre would've talked at some point about how that season (in which real life Sheen went batshit) was going to end.

Sleeveless posted:

Man, now I'm thinking how great the finale of Family Guy is going to be.

The Simpsons' finale.

"We probably could've ended this poo poo in 2005, but noooooooooooooooooooo, you morons wanted more."

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Slamhound posted:

I had exactly the opposite reaction. I thought the premise of Pacific Rim was pretty dopey but I ended up enjoying it, whereas the premise of The Strain is something I was looking forward to and it wound up being tedious rubbish.

Yeah, the first episode of The Strain was a tour de force of incompetently made television.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, the first episode of The Strain was a tour de force of incompetently made television.

The Strain was a masterwork of great ideas and concept completely ruined by some truly amateur writing and directing.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Anyway, need some help. Trying to figure out why I found Agent Carter so....inconsequential. Like I was watching ABC Family, instead of ABC. Is that a conscious choice? Because Agents of Shield shares that as well, this sort of waddling separating the show from the real world and any real depth. IDK maybe its just me.
It felt unfinished to me. Like there was more premise than actual story.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That one 30 second scene with the vampire swat team was pretty cool.

Shame about the rest of the show though. It kept making think that maybe it was just finding its feet and then big bad is batboy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So it looks like that dark and gritty Power Rangers film has pissed off the rights holders, and they're demanding it be taken down.

http://deadline.com/2015/02/power-rangers-fan-video-legal-fight-haim-saban-joseph-kahn-1201380926/

quote:

The short film, produced by Adi Shankar (an executive producer on Lone Survivor and A Walk Among The Tombstones) and Jil Hardin and co-written by Kahn, Dutch Southern and star James Van Der Beek, was posted on YouTube and Vimeo. Katee Sackhoff also stars. As of now, it’s still up on YouTube and has jumped from 716,000 views to 1.4 million views in an hour. Vimeo took it down today after receiving a copyright takedown complaint from Saban Brands.

“Vimeo is the host for your videos,” the site told Kahn in an email today, “and as a host for user-generated content we are fully compliant with the notice and takedown provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. It looks like your video was removed due to a copyright infringement claim by: Tim Quinlan, SCG Power Rangers LLC.”

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The fact I'm providing a link to a site called http://www.offliberty.com has nothing to do with the previous post, and pasting the URL to the power rangers video in the query box definitely won't download it (and in some cases get around blocks/music blocking).

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

pentyne posted:

So it looks like that dark and gritty Power Rangers film has pissed off the rights holders, and they're demanding it be taken down.

http://deadline.com/2015/02/power-rangers-fan-video-legal-fight-haim-saban-joseph-kahn-1201380926/

Considering this is the first time Power Rangers has entered the mainstream public consciousness in forever, they should be thanking Kahn and Shankar.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bown posted:

Marvel/Disney is not the place to look to for any real depth.

IRQ posted:

It was a 6 episode side story about a side character with exactly one character trait (look at her do "man things" in a man's world!) from a movie set 70 years ago in the same universe as the show. Of course it felt inconsequential.

Its a shame, that's all. 6 episodes, no need to fluff it up for multiple seasons. I remembering reading about some of the folks behind the movie writing this thing (and I think they did?). And it was pleasant and all, but at no time was I especially entertained. And that was all that I was asking for, not the next Breaking Bad or anything. Flash manages to do it on the reg, and so does others.

Was it because it was largely unimaginative? I'm familiar with the source material (at least where they got Leviathan from). And there, Leviathan is a shadowy Russian versian of Hydra, a covert black ops organization spanning the world headed by a psychotic super soldier and a top tier SHIELD operative and traitor, more interested in the civil war they have with Hydra than anything else, stemming from breaking a truce concocted by Leonardi Di Vinci.

We did get a douche psycharitrist though, so there's that.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 25, 2015

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

hcreight posted:

Considering this is the first time Power Rangers has entered the mainstream public consciousness in forever, they should be thanking Kahn and Shankar.
The Red Ranger from the season 13 years ago killed a guy with a sword in self-defense a couple of weeks ago. There was that.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So Agent Carter was kinda meh. I guess it's supposed to be more excited if I was all up to date and all that with the MCU and AoS? Because otherwise the show itself was kinda middling most of the time, had some bright spots and then dipped back down.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sober posted:

So Agent Carter was kinda meh. I guess it's supposed to be more excited if I was all up to date and all that with the MCU and AoS? Because otherwise the show itself was kinda middling most of the time, had some bright spots and then dipped back down.

It didn't really connect with the MCU or AoS at all, which was surprising, because I figured that's why they were doing it in the middle of the AoS season. I mean, it's possible some of the Howard Stark tech is going to show up in AoS now, or some character, but the show ended up seeming pretty stand alone.

It was pretty good. Well acted, and the short limited run let it move at a pretty decent pace. I was just expecting the big plot to be a bit, well, bigger.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Comic book author Matt Fraction has made a deal with Universal for a Sex Criminals TV show. The premise is pretty goofy, about a young woman named Suzy and her boyfriend Jon who both have the ability to freeze time whenever they have an orgasm. They start robbing banks while time is frozen in order to save the failing library that Suzy works at but things get complicated when they discover they're not the only ones with that power.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Comic book author Matt Fraction has made a deal with Universal for a Sex Criminals TV show. The premise is pretty goofy, about a young woman named Suzy and her boyfriend Jon who both have the ability to freeze time whenever they have an orgasm. They start robbing banks while time is frozen in order to save the failing library that Suzy works at but things get complicated when they discover they're not the only ones with that power.

Sounds good, as long as neither of the main characters are actors i want too see having sex.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

muscles like this? posted:

This sounds like something a teenager would come up with because it would be so edgy and cool.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
It's a legitimately good book despite the silly premise. Not something I would've expected to get an adaptation deal, though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

whowhatwhere posted:

This sounds like something a teenager would come up with because it would be so edgy and cool.

http://comicsalliance.com/fraction-zdarsky-sex-criminals-just-tips-preview-image/ :nws:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sober posted:

No, the plot meant nothing even if you've seen everything else.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

lol at The Dutch Microwave and just about everything else on that page

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Tonight's episode of Modern Family was entirely shot from Claire's Macbook screen at an airport and it was pretty ingenious. She was Facetimeing the rest of the family, going on their Facebook pages, researching things related to what she was talking about...it was some really impressive writing and directing.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
And marketing!

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

I take it all back this will be amazing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Shageletic posted:

Its a shame, that's all. 6 episodes, no need to fluff it up for multiple seasons. I remembering reading about some of the folks behind the movie writing this thing (and I think they did?). And it was pleasant and all, but at no time was I especially entertained. And that was all that I was asking for, not the next Breaking Bad or anything. Flash manages to do it on the reg, and so does others.

Was it because it was largely unimaginative? I'm familiar with the source material (at least where they got Leviathan from). And there, Leviathan is a shadowy Russian versian of Hydra, a covert black ops organization spanning the world headed by a psychotic super soldier and a top tier SHIELD operative and traitor, more interested in the civil war they have with Hydra than anything else, stemming from breaking a truce concocted by Leonardi Di Vinci.

We did get a douche psycharitrist though, so there's that.

I liked the original short and it seemed to be shaping up for something in the first couple episodes, but poo poo took a nose dive once Magic Russian Hypnotist showed up. Not to mention that nothing interesting or worth caring about got resolved at the end.

Also, wasn't it eight episodes? It sure felt like 8 the way they dragged out the least interesting plot threads.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dutch microwave is the best thing i've ever seen!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

raditts posted:

I liked the original short and it seemed to be shaping up for something in the first couple episodes, but poo poo took a nose dive once Magic Russian Hypnotist showed up. Not to mention that nothing interesting or worth caring about got resolved at the end.

Also, wasn't it eight episodes? It sure felt like 8 the way they dragged out the least interesting plot threads.
2 hr finale was great, promising start.
Got squandered for the next 4 episodes or so.
One decent episode with plenty of action.
2 part (week per week) finale that was alright, but fell flat a lot of the time.

I didn't even mind that it was inconsequential in terms of plot (seriously though, it's so far removed from current MCU, what's the actual harm?) but most of the character beats just fell flat for me. Sousa/Peggy didn't feel earned at all despite being told it was a thing nearly every episode, Chief Dooley sacrificing himself was only half decent because I loved Shia Whigham in Boardwalk, at least Bridget Reagan got to do action scenes (loved her in Legend of the Seeker) and Lyndsey Fonseca was horribly misused to almost being as useful as Ted's daughter in HIMYM. Carting out Dominic Cooper fell flat for me, sorry, and I was back and forth between Peggy and Jarvis, I really was. The spark was there but it never really felt like much more than that most of the time.

Also the Russian Hypnotist guy was just alright. Dumbest thing was giving him a flashback and telling us he's a hypnotist despite showing us he was a hypnotist for at least a whole episode, what was the point of that?

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Agent Carter seemed like they decided they were going ahead with the show before they figured out if it would be worth making or not, then they just threw in all the first ideas they came up with. Hayley Atwell is a good leading actress for a show but the plot went in a very bland direction and was not very well-executed either. It basically felt like the reason Agents of Shield got better in its second season is because all the mediocre people working on it went to work on Agent Carter, to inflict upon it their, low-stakes, cliche plots, and weak dialogue and characterization. Wasn't BAD but not really something I'd recommend.

Better Call Saul is great so far, and it will probably continue to be.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

savinhill posted:

lol at The Dutch Microwave and just about everything else on that page

whowhatwhere posted:

I take it all back this will be amazing.

Rocksicles posted:

Dutch microwave is the best thing i've ever seen!

Yeah basically get hype, Sex Criminals is loving amazing

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Metropolis posted:

Agent Carter seemed like they decided they were going ahead with the show before they figured out if it would be worth making or not, then they just threw in all the first ideas they came up with. Hayley Atwell is a good leading actress for a show but the plot went in a very bland direction and was not very well-executed either. It basically felt like the reason Agents of Shield got better in its second season is because all the mediocre people working on it went to work on Agent Carter, to inflict upon it their, low-stakes, cliche plots, and weak dialogue and characterization. Wasn't BAD but not really something I'd recommend.

I didn't mind it for what it was, but the ending fell flat for me. Her doing spy stuff while trying to hide from SSR was pretty interesting/fun. Her being accepted back with a cliche slow-clap scene followed by them quickly dispatching the bad guys and saving the day just reminded me of early season 1 AoS and all their inconsequential adventures. I wonder if them not being sure whether this is going to be a one-time thing or a continued series had anything to do with the bland ending. Maybe they would've done something more interesting or something that actually tied into SHIELD more if they had no plans to potentially make more episodes next year.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah basically get hype, Sex Criminals is loving amazing

I made a few mates get into it a few weeks ago,

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is Fargo a good tv show?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't know if I've seen a single serious criticism of it that was stronger than like "Eh I didn't find it super interesting."

Fargo was loving fantastic.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Chamberk posted:

And marketing!

Was this the gaudiest product placement in TV history? I'm trying to think of anything else, but I can't. I mean, there were things like the O.C. episode about the T-Mobile Sidekick which is hilarious when you watch it today, and Community had the Subway stuff, but even when they made fun of it and went super over the top it still wasn't as much as this Modern Family episode.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At least they didn't use Microsoft gear, nobody wants to sit through an episode of non stop system updates and stuttering Skype calls that drop every 3 minutes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Half the drat shows have Surface Pro 3's now.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

cebrail posted:

Was this the gaudiest product placement in TV history? I'm trying to think of anything else, but I can't. I mean, there were things like the O.C. episode about the T-Mobile Sidekick which is hilarious when you watch it today, and Community had the Subway stuff, but even when they made fun of it and went super over the top it still wasn't as much as this Modern Family episode.

An episode with the gimmick that the entire thing was shot on phones and laptops has phones and laptops in it?! :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GreenNight posted:

Half the drat shows have Surface Pro 3's now.

I can't remember what it was, but I think it was a news network were contracted to have Surfaces on display for marketing, but all they were used for was propping up iPads out of shot.

• Locked thread