Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

http://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Silver_as_an_Antimicrobial_Agent

Silver is a great antimicrobial with relatively low toxicity and has plenty of legitimate historical uses. In terms of modern use, though, topical use seems to be the only one really worth considering. Colloidal silver was a healthy thing to drink/add to your water because it increased the potability of water. Modern water treatment works better* and is substantially cheaper.

* Slight increase in cancer is a fine trade for actually eliminating most of the baddies in drinking water.

Yeah. If it wasn't so expensive it would also be useful as a plating to create sterile surfaces, but copper also has those antimicrobial properties so it's used instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

When I was in the burns ward (After I accidently lit myself on fire whilst drunk) they used some sort of silver bandage thing on me that hurt like torture. No idea why, but the other bandages didnt register any pain, but the silver stuff felt like stinging death.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That means it's working. If disinfectant doesn't hurt like buggery you're not using enough of it.

Though more seriously I should think that would be whatever else was in the bandage other than silver, silver itself isn't especially reactive.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

duck monster posted:

When I was in the burns ward (After I accidently lit myself on fire whilst drunk) they used some sort of silver bandage thing on me that hurt like torture. No idea why, but the other bandages didnt register any pain, but the silver stuff felt like stinging death.

Maybe you're a vampire?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh please, that's ridiculous.

Silver burns werewolves.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

OwlFancier posted:

That means it's working. If disinfectant doesn't hurt like buggery you're not using enough of it.

Though more seriously I should think that would be whatever else was in the bandage other than silver, silver itself isn't especially reactive.

If space station 13 is any indication (and as we all know, it's the most correct simulation of everything ever), then it was probably the aforementioned silver sulfadiazine.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I prefer to dress my wounds with bitcoins

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Fiat bandages.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Jack Gladney posted:

Oh please, that's ridiculous.

Silver burns werewolves.

Silver actually works against vampires because of Judas, supposedly.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
The Third Eagle of the Apocalypse is back with some more false flags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjn2ifXkUM8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPv1p2EkBwQ

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

http://realitieswatch.com/man-created-aids-robert-gallo/

This popped up on my Facebook feed. The website contains other high-grade conspiracy articles, such as how the Illuminati killed Tupac, and that the Boston bombing was a false flag operation.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Here's some more crazy poo poo that's popped up. http://thespiritscience.net/2015/01/04/alien-species-a-z-part-2/

I don't know what a "theoretical documentary" is, but apparently they're composed of a bunch of random video game footage edited together and are narrated with text-to-speech.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Verisimilidude posted:

Here's some more crazy poo poo that's popped up. http://thespiritscience.net/2015/01/04/alien-species-a-z-part-2/

I don't know what a "theoretical documentary" is, but apparently they're composed of a bunch of random video game footage edited together and are narrated with text-to-speech.

because THEY won't be able to vector black heliKKKopters to my basement base of operations if they can't identify my voice :tinfoil:

also look at killuminati on facebook for a good laugh

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Verisimilidude posted:

Someone did a similar thing with Adam Curtis

http://www.tomscott.com/infinite-adam-curtis/

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

:stonklol:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So, my antivacc friend took his kid to get the first vaccination yesterday! I don't know if we shamed him into it or whatever, he complained a lot that "the kid was sick two days straight, but what do you expect when you inject him with five diseases!!" :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link, it was awesome, but please trunc it out of a playlist the next time. I'd rather not be subjected to David Icke's loving goon voice by surprise again :stare:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

blowfish posted:

I've got it covered.

That sure sounds like a Big Business coverup :freep:

this lady is not in proper lab attire!

itstime4lunch
Nov 3, 2005

clockin' around
the clock
This is quite a long thread, and I'm not going to pretend to have read all of it, but has anyone asked if maybe us "rational" non-conspiracy theorists are socialized into many or most of our beliefs in a very similar way to conspiracy theorists? Perhaps rather than treating them as exceptions and odd cases, we could examine how the processes they go through in coming to believe in conspiracies might be able to illuminate some aspects about the way all of us come to believe many things.

In general, scientific inquiry may be humanity's best attempt at approaching something which approximates the underlying "truth" of reality and events, but we certainly don't have time in our lives to examine all of the things that science has supposedly "settled," and instead have to often rely on trusting that others have done this work already. Who to trust and who not to trust, then, becomes a very important issue.

It's interesting that people were saying that a possible motivation of conspiracy theorizing is that it makes the believers feel special and superior to those who don't have the information and understanding that they have. Couldn't that same motivation be attributed to people who write in internet threads discrediting conspiracy theories and discussing why conspiracy theorists are wrong?

itstime4lunch fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 2, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

itstime4lunch posted:

This is quite a long thread, and I'm not going to pretend to have read all of it, but has anyone asked if maybe us "rational" non-conspiracy theorists are socialized into many or most of our beliefs in a very similar way to conspiracy theorists? Perhaps rather than treating them as exceptions and odd cases, we could examine how the processes they go through in coming to believe in conspiracies might be able to illuminate some aspects about the way all of us come to believe many things.

this is true, but i think we can agree the basic leap to conclusions of "i don't know, but everyone else says X, so X must be true" is a better outcome than "i don't know, but everyone else says X must be true, so X cannot be true because everyone but me is foolish"

itstime4lunch posted:

It's interesting that people were saying that a possible motivation of conspiracy theorizing is that it makes the believers feel special and superior to those who don't have the information and understanding that they have. Couldn't that same motivation be attributed to people who write in internet threads discrediting conspiracy theories and discussing why conspiracy theorists are wrong?

no, that's a different impulse, if both are irrational. pro-theorists want to feel special and enlightened by basic contrarianism, just blanket declaring everything you know is wrong and I am in fact Better because I have Secret Knowledge. anti-theorists often get their jollies by being an overly confrontational dick on the internet, because a pro-theorist is something of an apostate who has clearly demonstrated inferiority by adherence to obvious bullshit and thus is a safe target for relentless mockery.

itstime4lunch
Nov 3, 2005

clockin' around
the clock

Popular Thug Drink posted:

this is true, but i think we can agree the basic leap to conclusions of "i don't know, but everyone else says X, so X must be true" is a better outcome than "i don't know, but everyone else says X must be true, so X cannot be true because everyone but me is foolish"

But who is "everyone?" Western intellectuals? Scientists? People who I talk to every day? People who post on the same message board as I do?
I get what you're saying, but as an intellectual exercise, it's always healthy to be continuously skeptical about one's own beliefs--perhaps to an even greater extent than being skeptical of others' beliefs.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

no, that's a different impulse, if both are irrational. pro-theorists want to feel special and enlightened by basic contrarianism, just blanket declaring everything you know is wrong and I am in fact Better because I have Secret Knowledge. anti-theorists often get their jollies by being an overly confrontational dick on the internet, because a pro-theorist is something of an apostate who has clearly demonstrated inferiority by adherence to obvious bullshit and thus is a safe target for relentless mockery.

So aside from the number of people (in the world?) who agree, if we ignore for a moment who may be actually wrong or right, I still think some of the differences in motivation begin to disappear.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Recognizing valid authorities is, indeed, an important life skill. Conspiracy theorists are quite bad at it*, which makes them very amusing. It's a good joke. The problem is CTs as monomyth is that they do a worse job of actually explaining what happened when the official narrative is suspect. Also (and why they belong in the politics thread) is that CTs are, by their nature, extremely right wing** and (in many cases) were actually created by paranoid groups like the John Birch Society. It is useful to be able to identify them because they tend to trickle in from the fringe right into the mainstream narrative.

*Conspiracy theorists are more likely to believe mutually contradictory explanations for the same event, provided that they disagree with the established narrative.

** There are some exceptions to this general rule, The Black Panther Party and the Nation of Islam were both heavily influenced by CTs. The NoI pretty much started that way and the BPP fell into CTs after they had already fallen from the national scene. To be fair, each were heavily targeted by powerful national forces, so while often totally crazy, there was some justification for their beliefs.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

itstime4lunch posted:

But who is "everyone?" Western intellectuals? Scientists? People who I talk to every day? People who post on the same message board as I do?
I get what you're saying, but as an intellectual exercise, it's always healthy to be continuously skeptical about one's own beliefs--perhaps to an even greater extent than being skeptical of others' beliefs.

So aside from the number of people (in the world?) who agree, if we ignore for a moment who may be actually wrong or right, I still think some of the differences in motivation begin to disappear.

You're overlooking the really obvious explanation: Conspiracy theorists spread around information that is often directly harmful, almost always intellectually harmful, in that it misteaches people. Busting conspiracy theories, on the other hand, spreads information that is true, and teaches people stuff like parsimony and logic.

What you are asking basically boils down to "Don't the people who help others and hurt others both have the same motivation: to change the state of others?" Sure if you phrase it tendentiously enough you can get a 'yes' but who gives a gently caress?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

itstime4lunch posted:

In general, scientific inquiry may be humanity's best attempt at approaching something which approximates the underlying "truth" of reality and events, but we certainly don't have time in our lives to examine all of the things that science has supposedly "settled," and instead have to often rely on trusting that others have done this work already. Who to trust and who not to trust, then, becomes a very important issue.

The process by which they come to believe a conspiracy theory is the same process by which a person comes to believe a widely believed urban legend

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

itstime4lunch posted:

There are formal features of credible arguments and explanations that we're supposed to learn during our formal education. I can't replicate every experiment that's ever been accomplished, but I know to look for consensus, internal consistency, rigor, skepticism, generosity, transparency, precedent, and relevant credentials for a start.--to say nothing of formal features like citations and affiliation with a university or legitimate research institution. CT stuff relies on a completely different narrative of private revelation and suspicion of evidence, precedent, and authority--as well as a stated refusal to consider evidence.

It's possible to learn these formal and rhetorical features if not the fields themselves.

People love to rip on CT because it's fun, and also because after a while misinformation starts to make you angry, especially once you realize most CT people don't care about the facts and won't listen to reason.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tias posted:

Thanks for the link, it was awesome, but please trunc it out of a playlist the next time. I'd rather not be subjected to David Icke's loving goon voice by surprise again :stare:

It isn't part of a playlist, you probably had autoplay on which means youtube is selecting what it thinks you want to watch next and playing it.

itstime4lunch
Nov 3, 2005

clockin' around
the clock
Good explanations. I'm not saying I believe exactly what I argued, but it's interesting to see how people justify how they know what they know and what processes they believe are legitimate in coming to beliefs.

As rational as we'd all like to be, the world's power structures still, I think, play an incredibly large part in determining the ways we're socialized into beliefs that we simply don't have the time or motivation to examine. The development of scientific and critical thinking is probably related to our cultural emphasis on technological and social "progress," but even the idea of this sort of progress, while clear and easily felt in some areas, has also become quite contradictory, with many, perhaps, unintended and largely unexamined consequences.

I don't mean to get too philosophical here. The topic at hand and the arguments being made just happened to bring a lot of this stuff into my mind...

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

itstime4lunch posted:

This is essentially the "science is a liar sometimes" defense, or at least part of it. That for many people it comes down to "faith" or an appeal to authority rather than proving something yourself, or having done the work yourself. It falsely equates rationality with irrationality, much like how having a debate on evolution between a scientist and a theologian falsely equates the two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22bo6CKJcJM

There certainly is some level of smugness associated with people knocking conspiracy theorists down a notch. I'm guilty of it myself, as are most people in this thread I'm sure. But that has nothing to do with being right or wrong, so much as it has to do with schadenfreude. You can be a smug rear end in a top hat or you can be a very nice person, but if you believe in chemtrails you're still wrong either way.

Then there are people who claim their conspiracy theorizing IS scientific, but these are people who are either too biased to see how they're using the scientific method incorrectly, or too ignorant to apply the method at all. At the very end of the tunnel you have people claiming that the science against them (read: the majority of science) is in itself a conspiracy to keep their totally correct information silent.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 3, 2015

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm from the NYC area and was active in anti war demonstrations all the time and trying to get attention to the danger and recklessness of American foreign policy to peace. But I watched every protest get hijacked by fringe conspiracy people who blamed Bush for 9/11 handing out truther pamphlets and making us look like illegitimate crazies. I thought they were doing way more harm than good for my causes and beliefs by teaching other young angry people like me the wrong framework to guide left wing politics and right and wrong. American hubris and imperialism led to 9/11 which was a tragedy. But teaching people about loving melting points of steel instead of our decades of interference in the Middle East was as harmful as blind patriotism to helping prevent something like 9/11 from ever happening again. That's why I can't stand conspiracy theorists.. Ends up validating an ignorant American centric view of history.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Smoothrich posted:

I'm from the NYC area and was active in anti war demonstrations all the time and trying to get attention to the danger and recklessness of American foreign policy to peace. But I watched every protest get hijacked by fringe conspiracy people who blamed Bush for 9/11 handing out truther pamphlets and making us look like illegitimate crazies. I thought they were doing way more harm than good for my causes and beliefs by teaching other young angry people like me the wrong framework to guide left wing politics and right and wrong. American hubris and imperialism led to 9/11 which was a tragedy. But teaching people about loving melting points of steel instead of our decades of interference in the Middle East was as harmful as blind patriotism to helping prevent something like 9/11 from ever happening again. That's why I can't stand conspiracy theorists.. Ends up validating an ignorant American centric view of history.

Intelligence agencies encourage fringe weirdos to advance their agenda :ssh:

Check out 'Mirage Men' on Netflix - it's about Air Force Intelligence manipulating UFO nuts to provide cover for the stealth bomber. It also suggests that cattle mutilations were done by the air force to accomplish two goals: 'discrete' sample collection for studies on radiation in the food chain and to build the UFO myth.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

McDowell posted:

Intelligence agencies encourage fringe weirdos to advance their agenda :ssh:

Check out 'Mirage Men' on Netflix - it's about Air Force Intelligence manipulating UFO nuts to provide cover for the stealth bomber. It also suggests that cattle mutilations were done by the air force to accomplish two goals: 'discrete' sample collection for studies on radiation in the food chain and to build the UFO myth.

That's silly, cattle "mutilations" have been going on for like thousands of years, ever since masses of livestock have been left alone for a bit for memebers of the herd to die in temperate climates

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Smoothrich posted:

That's a thing that bugs me about conspiracy theorists too. They'll never make any positive change in what they're concerned about because they can't even correctly identify the problem. At best they'll just waste resources, at worst they stand to make additional problems jumping at shadows while the original cause for concern goes unanswered.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nintendo Kid posted:

That's silly, cattle "mutilations" have been going on for like thousands of years, ever since masses of livestock have been left alone for a bit for memebers of the herd to die in temperate climates

This was a specific instance of cattle mutilation where the animals were being undeniably dissected and people were seeing strange lights in the sky (helicopters equipped with extraneous lights)

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Crazy rural sightings of UFOs and animal mutilations and crap is probably a combo of all the US military bases goofing off with their hardware on the weekends and crystal meth abuse.

Give a redneck enough meth and he will be seeing aliens and maybe even mutilating and having sex with farm animals all night long.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Smoothrich posted:

The trick with geography is that America is really loving big and that different regions work differently.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Shbobdb posted:

The trick with geography is that America is really loving big and that different regions work differently.

haha what?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

If you take a 9/11 protest to any major city you're going to attract at least one "9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB" loose change wacko

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

QuarkJets posted:

If you take a 9/11 protest to any major city you're going to attract at least one "9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB" loose change wacko

Here's what you do.

You organize your mob to beat them and drive them out of your protest.

You do this at every rally, so that they can see a grand conspiracy at work to surpress the truth.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

QuarkJets posted:

You couldn't even get out of a subway station in Manhattan without those people shoving a pamphlet in your face. I'd tell them to go gently caress themselves and hear WAKE UP! behind my back as I kept walking.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

My Imaginary GF posted:

Here's what you do.

You organize your mob to beat them and drive them out of your protest.

You do this at every rally, so that they can see a grand conspiracy at work to surpress the truth.

Sounds like something Rahm Emanuel would do :toughguy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sir Tonk posted:

Sounds like something Rahm Emanuel would do :toughguy:

Its how you keep your organization in line and prevent your ideological stance, anti-war, from being associated with kooks and unmedicated schizos.

• Locked thread