Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Aurain posted:

Yeah, very much agreed, the problem is that it gets dragged out a bunch even in Kai and when something is meant to be annoying "ironically", so to speak, it stops being ironic and starts being just genuinely annoying.

This is how I feel about your posting.

jk, i love all adtrw posters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The viewer is basically supposed to be Piccolo with regards to Gotenks.

I.e. STOP MESSING AROUND, SHUT UP, AND KILL BUU.

"I didn't have to go through this poo poo with Gohan."

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gotenks might be dumb, but Goten is really precious. :3:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Not a fan of Goten for the following reasons:

1. Does not have tail

2. See item 1

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So "History of Trunks Abridged" got delayed due to health concerns.. Anyone know what's going on? And what was the deal where the TFS dude had some major health issues a few months ago? I never got the full story there.

Unrelated, how does Piccolo make a fist with those claws? I really need to cut my fingernails and just clenched a fist and felt my nails on my palm and it made me think of that.. I have too much time on my hands at work.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I always liked Kid Trunks because he was an abhorrent little poo poo that would fight Vegeta for stuff like going to an amusement park.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

I always liked Kid Trunks because he was an abhorrent little poo poo that would fight Vegeta for stuff like going to an amusement park.

Young Trunks was a poo poo but he actually acted like a kid who was raised by Vegeta instead of a carbon clone of his Future version which is actually a nice touch. Vegeta raising a kid should kind of legitimately lead to him being kind of a poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if there's one thing gt did right, it was that the trunks in that show wasn't really future trunks 2.0 either, even if they were the same age.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I liked GT Trunks's intro where he was trying to hold it down and just be Mr. Briefs the Businessman and then eventually had to jump out his window and go flying because when you have powers like that you can't just be a dude. Very Mr. Incredible.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Vegeta is easily the best dad as far as Saiyans go.

Vegeta apologised for decking Trunks by taking him to the park. Goku apologised for doing it to Gohan by being aloof as gently caress about Cell in general and then forcing Gohan into a battle to the death with him, giving Cell a Sensu and then getting himself killed so he wouldn't have to be a dad to Gohan and abandoning his pregnant wife.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Videl and Gohan are cute.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why would he ever need to do that

Drive up sales I suppose. It is a business after all.

Sometimes I wonder how people are getting anything out of Superman (or superhero comics) in general since they're one giant never-ending story. Everything feels so manufactured that even the basic plot structures of a story feel meaningless right out the gate.

How? How can one possibly care for any of these characters when you know they're never going to die or there's no end-game in mind? It boggles my mind.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Terper posted:

Gotenks might be dumb, but Goten is really precious. :3:

I love how Goten basically never disbelieves Trunks, while Trunks is more than happy to make anything up on the spot to make himself look smart.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Countblanc posted:

I loved Gotenks, because he injected something that DBZ had really been lacking for a while: New special moves. I'm probably forgetting one, but I seriously can't think of any move more recent than, like, Goku's teleport Kamehameha by that point. And some of Gotenks' poo poo wasn't even just a beam! Pretty impressive imho

The ghost move is the best because it seems like a really awesome move, but then it turns out Super Buu was just too stupid to figure out the obvious way around it.

But he still tries to use it after he gets smarter.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Gotenks owns and everyone who dislikes him is a fun-hating jerk.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Parrotine posted:

How? How can one possibly care for any of these characters when you know they're never going to die or there's no end-game in mind? It boggles my mind.
said someone in a dragon ball z thread

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Sometimes I wonder how people are getting anything out of Superman (or superhero comics) in general since they're one giant never-ending story. Everything feels so manufactured that even the basic plot structures of a story feel meaningless right out the gate.

Go read All-Star Superman.

The premise is that Superman finds out he's actually dying.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 25, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DBM Chat: Old Man Goku's mustache is pretty badass.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That last page is pretty badass.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Parrotine posted:

The key is to not think of them as characters in the sense that they are people, who change and stuff, but to think of them as kind of mythic heroes, like gods. Then, you have to learn to appreciate not the story as a whole, but individual stories, using those mythic archetypes as a base, which is part of why one offs like All-Star Superman work so well.

That said, I much prefer adaptations and non-continuity of the comic source for pretty much the reasons you cite. The Bruce Timm Batmas/Superman/Batman Beyond/Justice League present a far more coherent, internally consistent and well written DC universe than you are gonna get out of the comics, especially these days for DC.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Aurain posted:

Vegeta is easily the best dad as far as Saiyans go.

Vegeta apologised for decking Trunks by taking him to the park. Goku apologised for doing it to Gohan by being aloof as gently caress about Cell in general and then forcing Gohan into a battle to the death with him, giving Cell a Sensu and then getting himself killed so he wouldn't have to be a dad to Gohan and abandoning his pregnant wife.

Gohan is probably going to be a good dad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

That said, I much prefer adaptations and non-continuity of the comic source for pretty much the reasons you cite. The Bruce Timm Batmas/Superman/Batman Beyond/Justice League present a far more coherent, internally consistent and well written DC universe than you are gonna get out of the comics, especially these days for DC.
how could you forget static shock

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Endorph posted:

Don't forget Zeta Project :P

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Endorph posted:

Also Teen Titans.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

New Leaf posted:

So "History of Trunks Abridged" got delayed due to health concerns.. Anyone know what's going on? And what was the deal where the TFS dude had some major health issues a few months ago? I never got the full story there.

Is one of the TFS guys very ill? :ohdear: Can I send them a fruit basket or a stuffed animal or something? Now I'm all worried about the people who make my silly internet entertainment.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Endorph posted:

Static Shock is basically part of the Tim-verse, since he's hung out at the Justice Tower and, according to Batman Beyond, the most powerful metahuman.

Or is that the point.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Endorph posted:

I am a fool is why.

RZApublican posted:

Also Teen Titans.

Bitch, please, that's a completely different continuity!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Prison Warden posted:

No, my fanfiction :smith:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Prison Warden posted:

I am a fool is why.

Last I checked, when Static Shock asked Batman where Robin was, Batman said he left and joined the Teen Titans. Just saying.

God, I'm a nerd.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Static Shock is basically part of the Tim-verse, since he's hung out at the Justice Tower and, according to Batman Beyond, the most powerful metahuman.

Or is that the point.
That's what I'm saying. They didn't mention static shock even though it's part of the DC animated universe.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Covok posted:

Last I checked, when Static Shock asked Batman where Robin was, Batman said he left and joined the Teen Titans. Just saying.

God, I'm a nerd.

The Titans probably exist in the DCAU but we never see them, there's a few things that don't gel between the two continuities as I recall. :goonsay:

The main one is Wally is Flash in JLU and Kid Flash in Teen Titans I think.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think Teen Titans is part of the Tim Verse, they make references but couldn't make direct ones because of legal bullshit.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
It's possible that Justice League is further in the timeline than Teen Titans. Nightwing shows up for a half-second cameo in Unlimited.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TriffTshngo posted:

Gotenks owns and everyone who dislikes him is a fun-hating jerk.

Hey now, I hate fun and love Gotenks

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm pretty sure it was just at the time, Teen Titans was planned to be in that continuity, before stuff happened behind the scenes and then it just became its own thing.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Allarion posted:

I'm pretty sure it was just at the time, Teen Titans was planned to be in that continuity, before stuff happened behind the scenes and then it just became its own thing.

Yeah. It's like how Crisis on Two Earths, which came out years later, was originally meant to be a Justice League movie that took place between the end of Justice League and JLU and they never made it and just retooled the script later.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Back to dragonball, Kid Trunks is Krillen 2.0 to Goten's Goku 2.0 and that's why they're awesome.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Second Coming of Broly would have been a lot better if Gohan had his mystic form. The movies and parts of the series where Goku isn't around to save everybody are the best.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I kind of like how the heroes of Bio-Broly were Goten, Trunks, 18, and Krillin. Goku only made one little cameo at the end of that movie and didn't even help with the fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Both of those are movies where I don't understand why Piccolo and/or Tien didn't show up randomly. Don't get me wrong- Krillin is, and will always be, my favorite, but surely they sensed Broly of all loving people right there on Earth. Did Piccolo decide to stay the gently caress out of it after he smashed his face in before?

• Locked thread