Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looper posted:

Citizen Kane is a really good movie and I hope more nerds have watched it

Anyone who has thus far tried to identify "the Citizen Kane of video games" probably has no idea why people praise Citizen Kane so much and half of them probably haven't even seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Citizen Kane of video games is Sled Storm for the Playstation.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the citizen kane of video games is diablo II because of the chat gem

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm surprised somebody hasn't made an actual Citizen Kane game in a similar vein to the The Great Gatsby one.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Accordion Man posted:

I'm surprised somebody hasn't made an actual Citizen Kane game in a similar vein to the The Great Gatsby one.

everyone would already know the plot twist.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
The simpsons did a better remake than the original citizen kane

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
ZDR offered to give me Doom 2 and he isn't even home to make good on his word.

Ball Status: Broken

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't a Myst game have a bug that destroyed your C drive? That's probably worse than being late on releasing a kickstarter game.

You're thinking of Myth 2. (Which everyone should play.) and you had to be really stupid to trigger the bug.

Specifically, the uninstall took whatever folder you installed it in, and recursively deleted everything in that folder. So if you were stupid enough to install the game to C:\, you deleted all of your C drive upon uninstall.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Plastic Toy Robot Status: Mint Condition, still in packaging

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Harrow posted:

Anyone who has thus far tried to identify "the Citizen Kane of video games" probably has no idea why people praise Citizen Kane so much and half of them probably haven't even seen it.

The Citizen Kane of video games would be a video game that was critically overlooked on release and was only recognized for its technical innovations years later, so anybody applying it to a hot new game is wrong by default.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

The Citizen Kane of video games would be a video game that was critically overlooked on release and was only recognized for its technical innovations years later, so anybody applying it to a hot new game is wrong by default.

kid icarus

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sleeveless posted:

Citizen Kane was very well-reviewed on release, it just lost money because of Hearst's attempts to blackball the film.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Eonwe posted:

stux is honestly a forums treasure

Much like goatse.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Excels posted:

The plot twist doesn't actually tell you anything

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

kid icarus

the alarm monster song in the first level in your brain forever

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

:lol: it's not a shamalan movie

Stux posted:

kid icarus

I'm going to have the opening level music stuck in my head now. Stuxed.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

http://thecitizenkaneofvideogames.tumblr.com/

A good tumblr

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Has there been a new ip released on the xbox one or ps4 yet that people actually like rather than talking about how good the sequel will be?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Has there been a new ip released on the xbox one or ps4 yet that people actually like rather than talking about how good the sequel will be?
Bloodborne, apparently.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Distance and Drift Stage.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Drift Stage is the Star Wars of gaming.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol These are all good

quote:

Clearly, Call of Duty co-creator Vince Zampella holds the magic formula to this type of game in his head – the Coca-Cola recipe of first-person shooters, if you will.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Alain Post posted:

Citizen Kane was very well-reviewed on release, it just lost money because of Hearst's attempts to blackball the film.

Yep, pretty much.

I mean, I don't think a hypothetical "Citizen Kane of video games" would necessarily have to have been unpopular or a financial failure in its time. Those are sometimes side effects of taking risks and being ahead of its time, but that's not always the case. But it should be a game that essentially defines a lot of what we consider "modern" in video games. It's hard to think of an analogue in games for what Citizen Kane brought to movies, because Citizen Kane innovated on a bunch of aspects that are common to just about every kind of movie. If I had to identify something that's inherent to what a video game is, something that is common to all video games, I guess I'd have to say that a player has to be able to interact with it in some way. So a hypothetical "Citizen Kane of video games" would probably have to innovate hugely on how we interact with games in a way that (slowly) becomes hugely influential, while also being an excellent game in its own right.

Chances are, either that's already happened and we don't have the critical distance yet to identify it (like Sleeveless pointed out, applying it to a new game is almost certainly missing the point), or it won't happen for a long while because video games are too busy pretending to be movies to be their own medium.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Harrow posted:

Yep, pretty much.

I mean, I don't think a hypothetical "Citizen Kane of video games" would necessarily have to have been unpopular or a financial failure in its time. Those are sometimes side effects of taking risks and being ahead of its time, but that's not always the case. But it should be a game that essentially defines a lot of what we consider "modern" in video games. It's hard to think of an analogue in games for what Citizen Kane brought to movies, because Citizen Kane innovated on a bunch of aspects that are common to just about every kind of movie. If I had to identify something that's inherent to what a video game is, something that is common to all video games, I guess I'd have to say that a player has to be able to interact with it in some way. So a hypothetical "Citizen Kane of video games" would probably have to innovate hugely on how we interact with games in a way that (slowly) becomes hugely influential, while also being an excellent game in its own right.

Chances are, either that's already happened and we don't have the critical distance yet to identify it (like Sleeveless pointed out, applying it to a new game is almost certainly missing the point), or it won't happen for a long while because video games are too busy pretending to be movies to be their own medium.
Yo, I definitely am not going to read this, because it is the Battlefield Earth of posts.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yo, I definitely am not going to read this, because it is the Battlefield Earth of posts.

:smith: :iceburn:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gamasutra posted:

Who is the Nirvana of video games? I don’t know if there’s a perfectly-fitting answer to this, but it’s a thought-provoking question.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*Applies the lyrics of Smells Like Teen Spirit to my gaming experience*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You die... do you want your items identified? (Y)

c - a mulatto
f - an albino
x - a mosquito
D - my libido

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

c - a mulatto
f - an albino
x - a mosquito
D - my libido

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oh well, whatever, nevermind.

-Squall Leonheart

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dost thou love me?

[A denial!]

But thou must!

Dost thou love me?

[A denial!]

But thou must!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kirby: I'm so happy! Today I found my friends!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Who is the Dave Grohl of gaming?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*stares at chalkboard which says GAMING'S AMBROSIA, furrowing my brows, tapping my forehead thoughtfully*

Hm....

*erases the world AMBROSIA and chalks in NIRVANA*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Japan, Bush are known as Doki Doki Nirvana.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Because the Nintendo code limited early NES developers, often games had to be censored so that the material would be appropriate for baby children. For example, the NES title "Nirvana" was changed so significantly for the US release, it was renamed "Silverchair."

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

c - a mulatto
f - an albino
x - a mosquito
D - my libido

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Bicyclops posted:

Dost thou love me?

[A denial!]

But thou must!

Dost thou love me?

[A denial!]

But thou must!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bloodborne, apparently.

That's a direct sequel to Demon Souls and pretty much a new entry in the overall Souls series, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

That's a direct sequel to Demon Souls and pretty much a new entry in the overall Souls series, tho.

They've specifically denied that it's a sequel to Demon's Souls, but yeah, it's a new game in the Souls series in all but name.

• Locked thread