Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

dartt posted:

TFT Central has a review of the Acer Predator XB270HU (the Gsync/144Hz/1440p/ULMB IPS-type panel)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

I want it now god damnit :circlefap:

Here's hoping it isn't $1k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Zorilla posted:

On the subject of ~$1000 displays: personally, I'm waiting to see what these end up being like:

http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-SM40UNP-40-0-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00RVGXZ08/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1424823892&sr=8-4&keywords=seiki+4k

Good to see Seiki actually following up on their somewhat vague announcement from several months ago about their plans to release a series of large 4K MVA computer monitors.
I liked the old 4K @ 30 Hz / 1080p @ 120 Hz MVA TV they had, and I'm expecting good things from this new one's price/value. I haven't seen Seiki be very transparent in release windows though, so who knows when Amazon will open up for this?

Back to $1k display chat: best to wait until summer or even early autumn for those G-Sync/FreeSync doodads, prices might fluctuate with the market about to be joined by more than two or three of this type of monitor.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I liked the old 4K @ 30 Hz / 1080p @ 120 Hz MVA TV they had, and I'm expecting good things from this new one's price/value. I haven't seen Seiki be very transparent in release windows though, so who knows when Amazon will open up for this?

Back to $1k display chat: best to wait until summer or even early autumn for those G-Sync/FreeSync doodads, prices might fluctuate with the market about to be joined by more than two or three of this type of monitor.

I had one briefly, and it would have been a keeper if there wasn't so much input lag or such a huge dropoff in brightness at the edges (or more importantly, a piece of debris spanning ~4 pixels behind the LCD matrix).

It looks the Seiki Pro lineup is going to be the one to wait for if you want a 4K monitor since all the 60Hz 4K TVs arriving on the market all rely on HDMI 2.0 to achieve 4K @ 60Hz with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. Only 2nd-gen Maxwell cards from Nvidia seem to support this right now (GTX 960 and up). Lesser cards (e.g. Kepler) can do 4K @ 60Hz, but seem to be stuck with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling due to HDMI 1.4 bandwidth restrictions. And then there's the question of whether any of these TVs have DPMS support.

I fully expect to see Dell, ASUS, and possibly others to repackage the same Samsung Super MVA panel in their own products, but I doubt they'll be any cheaper than what Seiki will be offering.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 25, 2015

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I'm sorry if this is a stupid obvious question but i haven't built a pc in 20 years. I have a thunderbolt monitor i got from work and i want to know if i need to look for anything in particular in terms of video card / mobo / whatever when building a pc so that i don't have to run through a garbage chain of vga to hdmi to whatever to "Thunderbolt" or whatever the accurate name is, i just want to be able to plug it in and output properly. Is this something I have to be obnoxiously cautious about?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Drunk-purchased myself an Acer B286HK last week when they were on Shell Shocker sale.

4K trip report, day one: I need new glasses and a new GPU.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zorilla posted:

I had one briefly, and it would have been a keeper if there wasn't so much input lag or such a huge dropoff in brightness at the edges (or more importantly, a piece of debris spanning ~4 pixels behind the LCD matrix). It looks the Seiki Pro lineup is going to be the one to wait for if you want a 4K monitor since all the 60Hz 4K TVs arriving on the market all rely on HDMI 2.0, which requires a 900-series Nvidia card to work at native resolution, but even then, it seems like you're stuck with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling in most cases. And then there's the question of whether any of these TVs have DPMS support.

I fully expect to see Dell, ASUS, and possibly others to repackage the same Samsung Super MVA panel in their own products, but I doubt they'll be any cheaper than what Seiki will be offering.

My Philips 4k 40" arrived today, haven't had a chance to plug it in yet but reviews were positive and it has displayport so I don't need a 9xx series card. I was considering waiting for the seiki pro range but with a kid on the way I have to get all my frivolous purchases done before the time when I really can't justify dropping a grand on a screen.

Now to rearrange my desk to somehow fit this behemoth onto it.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
What's the cheapest I can get a 1440 IPS running at 120 or 144 HZ? I live near a lot of retail outlets so it doesn't need to be online.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

bump_fn posted:

I'm sorry if this is a stupid obvious question but i haven't built a pc in 20 years. I have a thunderbolt monitor i got from work and i want to know if i need to look for anything in particular in terms of video card / mobo / whatever when building a pc so that i don't have to run through a garbage chain of vga to hdmi to whatever to "Thunderbolt" or whatever the accurate name is, i just want to be able to plug it in and output properly. Is this something I have to be obnoxiously cautious about?
I'm fairly sure you need TB output. Card wise nothing has that, it's a mobo/whatever thing. I haven't looked into it in a while but I think basically if a board supports it (and it might be in the form of an optional add on card) it takes the DP output of whatever card and loops it through its TB thing to give you TB output. Or maybe it does the frame buffer copy trick. In any case the video is passed through the TB port somehow.

So yeah it seems like it's an obnoxiously cautious thing (unless you say gently caress it and buy a Mac), although maybe things are better now :iiam:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

japtor posted:

I'm fairly sure you need TB output. Card wise nothing has that, it's a mobo/whatever thing. I haven't looked into it in a while but I think basically if a board supports it (and it might be in the form of an optional add on card) it takes the DP output of whatever card and loops it through its TB thing to give you TB output. Or maybe it does the frame buffer copy trick. In any case the video is passed through the TB port somehow.

So yeah it seems like it's an obnoxiously cautious thing (unless you say gently caress it and buy a Mac), although maybe things are better now :iiam:

Ugh - there's also a dual link DVI monitor floating around the office but I can't imagine that's any easier. Should I expect any noticeable (like input lag while playing quake) delays when trying to make these funny monitors working?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

bump_fn posted:

Thunderbolt just for displaying an image is 100% just mini-DP (DisplayPort, on every modern GPU and most modern motherboard). If your monitor has thunderbolt chaining or ports of anything that rely on the thunderbolt connector, you'll lose those however.

Edit: Thunderbolt add in cards just combine the DisplayPort signal inputted into them with the PCIE lanes they are plugged into for the external storage etc options using thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is just PCIE and DP in a single cable.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 25, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

bump_fn posted:

Ugh - there's also a dual link DVI monitor floating around the office but I can't imagine that's any easier. Should I expect any noticeable (like input lag while playing quake) delays when trying to make these funny monitors working?
Should be fine. As for DL-DVI there's various adapters for that afaik.

BurritoJustice posted:

Thunderbolt just for displaying an image is 100% just mini-DP (DisplayPort, on every modern GPU and most modern motherboard). If your monitor has thunderbolt chaining or ports of anything that rely on the thunderbolt connector, you'll lose those however.

Edit: Thunderbolt add in cards just combine the DisplayPort signal inputted into them with the PCIE lanes they are plugged into for the external storage etc options using thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is just PCIE and DP in a single cable.
Right just for display it's a DP signal, but the display itself needs to support DP alone as input (assuming it's possible), and afaik Apple's doesn't, It requires the muxed TB signal to work. There's the LG TB display but hell if I know how those inputs work, and it's a moot point since there's other standard video inputs anyway.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Analytic Engine posted:

What's the cheapest I can get a 1440 IPS running at 120 or 144 HZ? I live near a lot of retail outlets so it doesn't need to be online.

The Korean import QNix or X-Star with DVI input only will run you around $300-$350 shipped and, depending on your luck, may overclock as high as 120Hz (mine taps out at 96Hz due to bad luck, I guess). The Overlord Tempest has ones that'll do ~120Hz, as well, but those run north of $400. Those are your only options right now, and if you can wait for (and afford) one of the soon-to-be-released monitors with 120Hz officially supported, that'd be the best way to go.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yea, my qnix does 100hz and im sure 120hz is great but i dunno if id notice over 100.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Is the loss of color accuracy significant when you overclock those things to >=96Hz?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Chalets the Baka posted:

Is the loss of color accuracy significant when you overclock those things to >=96Hz?

Nope. I have troubles at 110hz though

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

dartt posted:

TFT Central has a review of the Acer Predator XB270HU (the Gsync/144Hz/1440p/ULMB IPS-type panel)

Only getting ULMB @100hz is kind of disappointing, but I'm interested to see how good their implementation of it is. On my current BenQ, with the default settings the flicker is still a little noticeable at that refresh rate. So if the Acer manages to not have that problem, that would be awesome. I don't think I could even push any modern games at 1440p and 120Hz with a 970 anyway.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My two wonderful Dell 2209WAs are finally on the way out. One has a weird splodgy thing down the right side and the other has an intermittant blue/yellow vertical line about third of the way across. I'm moving house soon so I'm going to give these to some friends/family and grab some new screens.

What's the sexy IPS of choice these days? Are Dell Ultrasharps still good? I'd prefer 16:10 if possible and I'd like height adjustable stands. How is the U2415?

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I have a Korean Crossover from about 3 years ago. How can I find out or go about getting my refresh over 60hz?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Tunga posted:

My two wonderful Dell 2209WAs are finally on the way out. One has a weird splodgy thing down the right side and the other has an intermittant blue/yellow vertical line about third of the way across. I'm moving house soon so I'm going to give these to some friends/family and grab some new screens.

What's the sexy IPS of choice these days? Are Dell Ultrasharps still good? I'd prefer 16:10 if possible and I'd like height adjustable stands. How is the U2415?

I got two U2412Ms a few months ago and I can't imagine the U2415 would be worse. They're simply amazing. 16:10 4 lyfe

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Got my U2713 last night. I can't believe the colors and brightness next to my old 27 inch Samsung TN. This thing is nice!

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014
I got an Asus VE228HR last month, I thought it was badly configured when I had it beside my HP Pavilion 23x which is now a little bit hosed up with the colours, but its just that bright and I had to get used to it. It's awesome.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is strong ghosting a standard thing on VA panels? The philips 40" I got has noticeable trails in the forums with text and avatars, maybe only lasts between one and two tenths of a second before it disappears entirely but it's enough for me to perceive and stands out especially strong when scrolling dark text on a white background. If this is par for the course then I'm happy to live with it, I just don't like the idea that there might be something faulty about my new $1k device.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
That sounds like either a slow panel response, or conversely overshoot from an aggressive overdrive trying to lower panel response. In either case, there's nothing you can do about it, as it's by design (more or less). Ghosting isn't really something caused by wear or damage, but simply by tradeoffs in the design and materials used.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I'm looking to get a bunch of touchscreen displays to connect to Chromeboxes for use by kids in a classroom environment.

They'll be being used for educational stuff, so colour reproduction/response time/most of the other usual criteria aren't big concerns.

I can spend up to £350 ($540) per display, but I've had a look around and found touch-capable displays starting at about £160, so it looks like I can get something for significantly less.

Does anyone have any thoughts or a display they'd recommend? It basically just needs to be of decent build quality, physically adjustable and to have HDMI and/or DisplayPort connectivity.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

That sounds like either a slow panel response, or conversely overshoot from an aggressive overdrive trying to lower panel response. In either case, there's nothing you can do about it, as it's by design (more or less). Ghosting isn't really something caused by wear or damage, but simply by tradeoffs in the design and materials used.

Cool, as long as it's normal I can get used to it, like I did that drat glass bead coating on my projector screen. There is a lag reduction mode which makes the ghosting worse the higher it gets set, it will stay permanently switched off.

The monitor is still amazing though, so much screen to take in and a very usable dpi, I wouldn't consider going 4k at anything less than this size (unless you just want smoothness instead of space).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm assembling a new PC so It's finally time to replace my old 19" 1440x900 Hanns-G HW192D. I mostly play games and websurf on it. One thing that has made me slow to replace this monitor is that the native resolution even on small monitors is now really high, to the point where Windows seems tiny on anything less than a huge screen.

Considering the size of my small desk I wouldn't want to get one more than 23" but with so many models it's hard to tell what's appropriate. I also need one that has a VESA mount to use with my 3M arm. DisplayPort would be a nice feature since the Nvidia 970 card I'm getting will support it.

This Hanns-G is about eight years old and still looks good. I heard the brand turned to crap but back in 2006 they knew what they were doing.

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014
Is there any reason to not get a BenQ GTG XL 2720? I basically only game on my computer and would like a 27inch screen. The price is a bit high but I don't have a problem with it if it's super awesome like some people have described.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

MadWOPR posted:

Is there any reason to not get a BenQ GTG XL 2720? I basically only game on my computer and would like a 27inch screen. The price is a bit high but I don't have a problem with it if it's super awesome like some people have described.

Wait a few weeks and get a current gen monitor that will last you forever.

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014

Etrips posted:

Wait a few weeks and get a current gen monitor that will last you forever.

Is there any chance that screen goes under 450? That's pretty much my maximum, although that looks fantastic

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

MadWOPR posted:

Is there any chance that screen goes under 450? That's pretty much my maximum, although that looks fantastic

Most likely not. Speculation is that it will be in the $700-800~ range.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

MadWOPR posted:

The types of monitors that one is looking to beat go for around $800, so short of some miraculous pricing, I doubt it will hit that price point any time soon.

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014
Given that that guy is probably out of my range, is that BenQ I posted a good bet? I saw a similar Acer monitor with a 144 refresh rate, but I'd heard the firmware in the BenQ makes it the superior choice.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MadWOPR posted:

Keep dreaming, it's up for pre-order at $900+tax in the UK.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

MadWOPR posted:

Assuming you mean the XL2720Z, it's a fine monitor but keep in mind it's a TN panel and it's also only 1080p at 27". You can always go for the XL2411Z which is the cheaper, smaller version with the same internals.

The main appeal of these more pricey TN panels is the blur reduction stuff, different companies have different implementations of it. The latest BenQ stuff is good but you will have to tweak it a bit to get it to look ideal. If you aren't specifically interested in using the motion blur reduction tech I wouldn't spend the extra cash on them.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

If you aren't specifically interested in using the motion blur reduction tech I wouldn't spend the extra cash on them.
You should read this as "If you're not a twitch gamer, you probably won't see much of a benefit." Not sure what sort of gaming is in discussion here, but Civ V and WoW are not going to benefit much from ULMB or similar technologies (but absolutely will benefit from a nice IPS--if $450ish is your max, give serious consideration to an overclockable QNix 27" 1440x IPS screen for ~$350. Even adding in the cost of replacing the stand and building a mount will keep it under $400, and it's superior to virtually anything else you can get for that price point unless you REALLY think you have a case for caring about the difference between 90-100Hz and 120/144Hz).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DrDork posted:

You should read this as "If you're not a twitch gamer, you probably won't see much of a benefit." Not sure what sort of gaming is in discussion here, but Civ V and WoW are not going to benefit much from ULMB or similar technologies (but absolutely will benefit from a nice IPS--if $450ish is your max, give serious consideration to an overclockable QNix 27" 1440x IPS screen for ~$350. Even adding in the cost of replacing the stand and building a mount will keep it under $400, and it's superior to virtually anything else you can get for that price point unless you REALLY think you have a case for caring about the difference between 90-100Hz and 120/144Hz).

I disagree, it looks really pretty on any game that has 3D effects. I really miss my 120hz monitors a lot of times when I'm just playing poo poo like Dragon Age Inq.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The power button on my Monoprice IPS-Glass Panel Pro 27" decided to stop working altogether this morning after a period of it being finicky. Had it for just under one year - pretty disappointing, I won't be buying from them again.

I guess this means I'm in the market for a cheapo monitor to last until those supercool monitors come out in a month or two - not seeing any great deals at the moment...

Mozi fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 28, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mozi posted:

The power button on my Monoprice IPS-Glass Panel Pro 27" decided to stop working altogether this morning after a period of it being finicky. Had it for just under one year - pretty disappointing, I won't be buying from them again.

I guess this means I'm in the market for a cheapo monitor to last until those supercool monitors come out in a month or two - not seeing any great deals at the moment...

I feel like it would be easier and cheaper to re-solder a power button instead of hunt for a new monitor.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Mozi posted:

RMA it under warranty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

DrDork posted:

You should read this as "If you're not a twitch gamer, you probably won't see much of a benefit."
I'm going to buy the XB270HU partly just for reading Something Awful. I can't read text if I use smooth scrolling.

A not so twitchy game I like is Path of Exile. The absolute biggest problem I have with the entire game is all the scrolling text you are supposed to read. I guess my eyes are particularly sensitive to motion blur.