Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why would you do that? All they need to show is the 14 or fewer digits (usually 12), you don't need the enhanced storage available in a 2 dimensional barcode.

You can safely shrink a regular bar code to a very short thing if you need extra space on packaging, the same can't really be done for a 2 dimensional barcode which also requires a full on camera rather than a simple one-dimensional scanner.
If the infrastructure were in place, people would find uses for it. For example tracking lot numbers, so you can tell exactly when and where a certain lot was sold. You could also store the entire product description in the QR code which would mean the POS wouldn't have to cross check the UPC against a list. More or less all the same things QR inventory systems track except now you could do it at the POS as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Hey I have a great mp3 notification tone, but can't figure out how to get it into Google hangouts, any tips?

Note 2

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

always be closing posted:

Hey I have a great mp3 notification tone, but can't figure out how to get it into Google hangouts, any tips?

Note 2

Drag and drop the file into the "Notifications" folder on your main phone storage, select that notification via hangouts?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wadjamaloo posted:

If the infrastructure were in place, people would find uses for it. For example tracking lot numbers, so you can tell exactly when and where a certain lot was sold. You could also store the entire product description in the QR code which would mean the POS wouldn't have to cross check the UPC against a list. More or less all the same things QR inventory systems track except now you could do it at the POS as well.

That's already in use in the shipping cases and the like. It just doesn't need to be on the retail product itself. The companies involved really like being able to reuse the exact same packaging stuff for years on end, and only needing to run a low-res dot matrix printer over the labels to indicate expiration dates and the like. But the much fewer shipping cartons the product is sent out in, they can just slap the codes on them safely.

Also putting more information on the end product is counterproductive for most inventory system. Your system already knows that the candy bar is the candy bar, it doesn't also need the text X BRAND CANDY BAR baked into the barcode.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I forgot about the logistics of printing the packaging, which is ironic because I know work in that industry. When I worked retail I can definitely say that having lot numbers and expiration dates built into the scan code would have been amazing. It would have made spotting expired stuff and doing recalls a lot easier.

This is getting way off topic though. Someone tell us how to do cool poo poo at home already.

EDIT: I guess its actually way simplier than I thought. go to http://zxing.appspot.com/generator/
Select wifi from the drop down. Put the info in and click generate.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 26, 2015

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Why do some alarm clock apps not set the system alarm notification? I use life time alarm. It doesn't really bother me, I just think it's kinda strange

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

myron cope posted:

Why do some alarm clock apps not set the system alarm notification? I use life time alarm. It doesn't really bother me, I just think it's kinda strange
Post-Lollipop there is a new API that developers must implement in order to do so. Timely recently updated for the first time in over a year with it added.

The best thing about it is now there's a way to just dismiss the next alarm without the app itself needing to build it in (at least within an hour of it going off).

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

bunky posted:

Drag and drop the file into the "Notifications" folder on your main phone storage, select that notification via hangouts?

Yeah, this worked, although it took a while to show up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

always be closing posted:

Yeah, this worked, although it took a while to show up.
They fixed it taking time to show up on KitKat. Ever since 4.4.1 it's been immediate for me. (4.4 had a bug where it wouldn't show up at all if it was manually added.)

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So apparently the game Sky Force uses Google's could backup system for game saves. I just tried it between my tablet and phone and it worked beautifully. Why the gently caress are other game devs not using this poo poo?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Require More Fire posted:

So apparently the game Sky Force uses Google's could backup system for game saves. I just tried it between my tablet and phone and it worked beautifully. Why the gently caress are other game devs not using this poo poo?

I believe we just had several pages of rants about how Google doesn't properly work with their partners.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bull3964 posted:

I believe we just had several pages of rants about how Google doesn't properly work with their partners.

Game cloud saving has been a thing in Android for quite awhile. As far as I can tell it's 100% on the dev to implement it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Game cloud saving has been a thing in Android for quite awhile. As far as I can tell it's 100% on the dev to implement it.

Still doesn't matter. Google should be actively engaging these devs and asking them "Why are you not using the cloud backup option? Did you know this option existed? What do you not like about it that's preventing you from using it? Do you need help implementing it?"

In order to take Android to the next level, Google has to do better than walking into a room with a handful tools, tossing them up in the air like confetti, and yelling "CATCH!" before diving out the nearest window.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Require More Fire posted:

Its the same with Apple, devs decide. Some do, some don't.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

Still doesn't matter. Google should be actively engaging these devs and asking them "Why are you not using the cloud backup option? Did you know this option existed? What do you not like about it that's preventing you from using it? Do you need help implementing it?"

In order to take Android to the next level, Google has to do better than walking into a room with a handful tools, tossing them up in the air like confetti, and yelling "CATCH!" before diving out the nearest window.

It's been the same thing from Google since 2008; I don't think things will ever really change in this regard for better or worse. The fact that Android has been so successful without them really focusing on dev relations really kinda just solidifies their stance.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Is there any way to tell what app is throwing this notification up? It just started recently. I thought it might be Llama so deleted it, but the notification persists.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Open the shade, long-press on the notification, and it should pop up with something like "app info". Tap that, and it'll take you to the Settings entry for whatever app.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hooah posted:

Open the shade, long-press on the notification, and it should pop up with something like "app info". Tap that, and it'll take you to the Settings entry for whatever app.

From his screenshot, it appears that he wants to know where a Toast is coming from rather than a notification. There's not an easy way to do that as far as I know.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

bull3964 posted:

From his screenshot, it appears that he wants to know where a Toast is coming from rather than a notification. There's not an easy way to do that as far as I know.

Yea, the toast notification letting me know I'm holding a cell phone.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I think Mr Sumbitches is talking about the 'Cell phone' toast - I'm not sure if you can find out what's doing it

OK that's me :tipshat:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Cross posting from the general Android thread because I think this fits in both, but:

’m having this odd issue where sms notifications seem to be getting cleared, at least to some degree. I’ll get a text or two and feel/hear my phone vibrate, but there’s no active notification (Droid Turbo). Looking in the notification shade, the Hangouts notification icon is there and I can preview the messages, but, when I unlock my phone, they are showing up on my DashClock widget. The messages are all there and unread when I go into Hangouts, so I don’t know what’s going on. I did have a weird thing happen where I got a text that I read and responded to from PushBullet, but it never showed up on my actual phone (this has happened once before). I’ve also had two friends say they sent me messages that I just never got. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Edit: about the only thing I'm noticing is that it happens when I have more than one unread message

Double edit: I tried disabling Push Bullet but no change. I've also rebooted.

XIII fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 27, 2015

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Yea, the toast notification letting me know I'm holding a cell phone.
There's an Xposed extension that can show the app name that generated the toast, but it requires root-fuckery.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I have a new android tablet. How do I get my text messages on it without using Google Voice?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I have a new android tablet. How do I get my text messages on it without using Google Voice?

MightyText, Push Bullet, AirDroid, to name a few off the top of my head.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

hooah posted:

MightyText, Push Bullet, AirDroid, to name a few off the top of my head.

Will it allow me to keep using the Google messaging app?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
So I finally upgraded my phone to a Moto X after using an Atrix 2 for 3 years. I want to upgrade some of the apps I use too. I was previously using winamp to play music but that's no longer being updated. What's a good music player replacement? The OP for this thread is pretty out of date it looks so are there any must get apps for someone who hasn't kept with android for a while?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Will it allow me to keep using the Google messaging app?
Yes.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Zom Aur posted:

There's an Xposed extension that can show the app name that generated the toast, but it requires root-fuckery.

Ugh. I bought a Moto X so I wouldn't have to root again to have a working phone. This toast is really irritating -- when I put my phone into airplane mode, it toasts "BLUETOOTH" and "WIFI" repeatedly. Is there another forum or thread I can look for guidance?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
My Moto G updated to Lollipop and now Photos shows up twice in my app drawer. Is there a way to hide one, or is this just some Motorola quirk that needs to be put up with?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Ugh. I bought a Moto X so I wouldn't have to root again to have a working phone. This toast is really irritating -- when I put my phone into airplane mode, it toasts "BLUETOOTH" and "WIFI" repeatedly. Is there another forum or thread I can look for guidance?
Honestly how hard could it be to look through the apps you've installed and figure out which one it is? Of course looking at that notification bar it looks like you aren't afraid to install anything and everything. Still, how many questionable apps could there be? If it happens frequently enough, uninstall a handful and once you know what batch it's in, reinstall (or restore using Helium) until you find which one it is.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You could look at the current running apps in the settings menu (especially anything running a service) and see if there's anything you suspect of being amateur hour

Otherwise you could get a logcat reader and dig through the phone logs to see if there are any handy messages talking about Bluetooth and WiFi, but unless you're already a developer you're getting into some serious janitoring territory

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you post the list of running apps we can probably figure out which one it is within three guesses.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

So I finally upgraded my phone to a Moto X after using an Atrix 2 for 3 years. I want to upgrade some of the apps I use too. I was previously using winamp to play music but that's no longer being updated. What's a good music player replacement? The OP for this thread is pretty out of date it looks so are there any must get apps for someone who hasn't kept with android for a while?

The best app in my opinion is Poweramp. Works with any format, uses folder play or tags and has loads of skins and options to mess around. It has a trial version but I encourage you to buy it (is just 3.99$). If you want something free but not as good you can try Rocket Player.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Google Play Music also works fine.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Tunga posted:

If you post the list of running apps we can probably figure out which one it is within three guesses.

Here's the list of running apps, none of these are new or even recent installs nor are the in the recently updated list:
Settings
Media
Lux
Citymapper
Life Time Alarm Clock
Hinge
Google Voice
Facebook Messenger
Yahoo Weather
Happn
Google Inbox
RescueTime
Onavo Count
com.qualcomm.qualcomsettings
Motorola Services
Audio Effects
Google Play Services
Google Services
Camera
MotoCare
Pushbullet
Emergency Alerts
Cerberus
Fleksy
LastPass
Connect
Active Display

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Here's the list of running apps, none of these are new or even recent installs nor are the in the recently updated list:
Settings
Media
Lux
Citymapper
Life Time Alarm Clock
Hinge
Google Voice
Facebook Messenger
Yahoo Weather
Happn
Google Inbox
RescueTime
Onavo Count
com.qualcomm.qualcomsettings
Motorola Services
Audio Effects
Google Play Services
Google Services
Camera
MotoCare
Pushbullet
Emergency Alerts
Cerberus
Fleksy
LastPass
Connect
Active Display

I would say:

Hinge
Happn
Onavo Count

Only because I've never heard of them

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Any ideas as to why Contacts crashes every time I receive a call? I can still pick up, I just have to hit okay on the crash dialog first. N5 running 4.4.4, XGELS and GravityBox.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

SplitSoul posted:

Any ideas as to why Contacts crashes every time I receive a call? I can still pick up, I just have to hit okay on the crash dialog first. N5 running 4.4.4, XGELS and GravityBox.
Probably because you broke your phone with dumb poo poo.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

butt dickus posted:

Probably because you broke your phone with dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Abusing my modship with empty quotes!

SplitSoul posted:

Also, take your question to the rooted thread.

• Locked thread