Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

yeah use clojure instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Barnyard Protein posted:

yeah use clojure instead

with drip it's not so bad

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

this job isn't so bad, i sit around janitoring databases and telling people they're using our product wrong while listening to podcasts

i just wish it wasn't an hour away from my house

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Luigi Thirty posted:

this job isn't so bad, i sit around janitoring databases and telling people they're using our product wrong while listening to podcasts

i just wish it wasn't an hour away from my house

this is pretty much every first tech job ever.

your next one will be worth moving to reduce your commute

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Dessert Rose posted:

your next one will be worth moving to reduce your commute

kinda where im at. 3h round trip is kinda ruff. im fortunate that i dont have any transit transfers tho + can nap

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

thank you star war sexy parrot

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

if you know assembly and post in this thread you're like a cismale posting in the women chatting thtreadi n gbs

check your accumulator

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

if you know assembly and post in this thread you're like a cismale posting in the women chatting thtreadi n gbs

i was legit asked to be a bridesmaid this past weekend

pretty sure that gives me a pass in that thread

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

duTrieux. posted:

i was legit asked to be a bridesmaid this past weekend

pretty sure that gives me a pass in that thread

im a guy and i was a bridesmaid this past fall. it was cool

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

fart simpson posted:

im a guy and i was a bridesmaid this past fall. it was cool

yeah, yolo, y'know?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it was a really fun wedding. i almost lost the wedding rings and only found them again an hour before the wedding started and then the reception had a killer 4 piece bluegrass band and was catered by a mobile brick oven pizza place and a local microbrewery and then we partied on the beach until the sun came up

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

kinda where im at. 3h round trip is kinda ruff. im fortunate that i dont have any transit transfers tho + can nap

i mean it's okay because the office is literally around the corner from the interstate exit so i just have to drive in a straight line for 40 miles and then make a left, it's not like i'm fighting city traffic to get there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i would rather go homeless in a tent downtown and walk to work than drive a long way every day ever again

it has really seriously changed my life and stress levels

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

i would rather go homeless in a tent downtown and walk to work than drive a long way every day ever again

I would seriously emptyquote this 100x.

If you don't have other things in your life that's stopping you from living next door to work, you need to do it. DO IT.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i used to live so close to my office that i timed myself standing up at my desk at home, walking to work, and stopping the timer when i sat down at my desk at work, and it took less than 5 minutes. it was really nice. now i live a 15 minute bicycle ride away which is less nice but also cool. i dread someday going back to driving to work

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
20 mins one way would be my ideal commute i think
enough to kind of shake off work mode and figure out whats up, not long enough to really drag on

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

20 mins on transit, so I can read a couple of chapters of a book or a good chunk of a magazine, instead of paying attention to traffic

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yeah im a 15 minute bike ride away but if it's raining or too hot or something i just take the bus or the subway, both of which are about 25 minutes which isn't too bad

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
today I observed someone using one of my programs. it's really depressing seeing them completely ignore any and all text and just click on things apparently at random, but I guess that's what users are for

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

20 mins one way would be my ideal commute i think
enough to kind of shake off work mode and figure out whats up, not long enough to really drag on

I'm quite happy with my 20 min walk to work, it's exactly as you say

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Soricidus posted:

today I observed someone using one of my programs. it's really depressing seeing them completely ignore any and all text and just click on things apparently at random, but I guess that's what users are for

This is how I learn literally everything, including sex and coding

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bhodi posted:

I would seriously emptyquote this 100x.

If you don't have other things in your life that's stopping you from living next door to work, you need to do it. DO IT.

there is only one thing more powerful than tech buble lol

housing buble lol

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

fart simpson posted:

it was a really fun wedding. i almost lost the wedding rings and only found them again an hour before the wedding started and then the reception had a killer 4 piece bluegrass band and was catered by a mobile brick oven pizza place and a local microbrewery and then we partied on the beach until the sun came up

this is the most twee pintrest bullshit i have read in the past 15 minutes, grats

did you have drinks in mason jars and those old-fashion reproduction lightbulbs too

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

uncurable mlady posted:

this is the most twee pintrest bullshit i have read in the past 15 minutes, grats

did you have drinks in mason jars and those old-fashion reproduction lightbulbs too

tbf mason jars are great drink vessels and old-timey lightbulbs have a lovely ambiance

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

is inexcusable though

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Soricidus posted:

the best way to do integration testing is to setup a macro to click randomly within your app as quickly as possible.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

uncurable mlady posted:

:tipshat:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stringent posted:

the best way to do integration testing is to setup a macro to click randomly within your app as quickly as possible.

fuzzing rules

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
Interviewing for a developer job that pays 50K...in D.C.

So I hear this is where the terrible programmers hang out? Maybe I'll be one of you some day.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
buyign mason jars just to drink out of: uncool
drinkign otu of whatever jars you have lying around: sort of cool

just drink out of whatever you find or the bottle: most cool

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

uncurable mlady posted:

my buddy rickrolled the wedding party with a ukelele after we i-do'd under the big oak tree in the park. Then we served nine pies.

mrs got her dress off pinterest (well, found the seamstress)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

tbf a Pinterest wedding would have been better than the gaudy bullshit I sat through on vday which was the most by-the-book wedding ever

don't get married on vday

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LittleFuryThings posted:

So I hear this is where the terrible programmers hang out? Maybe I'll be one of you some day.

I have to be honest..that doesn't sound like a very good salary

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

LittleFuryThings posted:

50k is like subsistence wage in DC. You'll seriously be at the poverty line with that.

Interns get paid more than that, you're getting taken advantage of. Tier 1 helpdesk slaves out of college make 50k starting, if you are actually coding add 20k to that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

uncurable mlady posted:

tbf a Pinterest wedding would have been better than the gaudy bullshit I sat through on vday which was the most by-the-book wedding ever

don't get married on vday

except for the critical mistake we made at the end 'escaping' to our house, which was also the home base of ops for the wedding i loved every bit of it and put up with the cheesy poo poo and she still blushes and giggles when she talks about it

NO I'M SERIOUS AS A HEART ATTACK YOU LEAVE THAT RECEPTION AND YOU GET IN A CAR AND IF YOU NEED TO YOU GET ON AN AIRPLANE AND YOU GET THE gently caress AWAY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012

fleshweasel posted:

I have to be honest..that doesn't sound like a very good salary

it's garbage in DC for a developer. but hey, you're guaranteed a hefty 70K salary once you've been with the company for two years. So I'll be at entry level one day, hopefully. and maybe qualified to call myself a terrible programmer.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

except for the critical mistake we made at the end 'escaping' to our house, which was also the home base of ops for the wedding i loved every bit of it and put up with the cheesy poo poo and she still blushes and giggles when she talks about it

NO I'M SERIOUS AS A HEART ATTACK YOU LEAVE THAT RECEPTION AND YOU GET IN A CAR AND IF YOU NEED TO YOU GET ON AN AIRPLANE AND YOU GET THE gently caress AWAY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

we did a little thing in a garden with our parents and it was nice

also timely because mom started to really go downhill shortly after the wedding so I'm glad she still had it mostly together for that

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

LittleFuryThings posted:

it's garbage in DC for a developer. but hey, you're guaranteed a hefty 70K salary once you've been with the company for two years. So I'll be at entry level one day, hopefully. and maybe qualified to call myself a terrible programmer.

You will be laid off after one year and three hundred sixty four days.

If you have a degree or any sort of coding experience, you are getting hella taken advantage of. If not, suffer through until you can jump ship

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Bhodi posted:

50k is like subsistence wage in DC. You'll seriously be at the poverty line with that.

Interns get paid more than that, you're getting taken advantage of. Tier 1 helpdesk slaves out of college make 50k starting, if you are actually coding add 20k to that

50k is midrange gs7 in the dc locality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
gs gets things like job security, three dozen vacation days, and OPM saying that we had a two hour delay today because of a light dusting of snow. Ancillary benefits that make it worth taking a lower salary. But if you're on your first job with probably a student loan it's gotta be all about the dolla dolla billz y'all.

• Locked thread