Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I started a new game recently, and I just played the chrysalid hive mission.

:cry:

First my veteran heavy, who sprinted for the transponder, gets hit twice because neither my veteran sniper or nearby rookie could hit the chasing chrysalid. Then my veteran assault takes a hit and dies a few turns later, and my rookie panics and gets swarmed.

I started the mission with a veteran MEC, heavy, and assault, a veteran sniper and a new sniper, and a rookie. I only saved my two snipers, and I had to bait the chrysalid with my MEC and my rookie to do so.

That was seriously the most depressing mission I've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Now watch this (on Impossible with the Long War mod, so 'lids have more health, there are more of them, and the soldiers each have less health. Nowhere remotely near Mechs yet. Or gene mods. Or lasers.): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAIctku3O0s

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sorry, but videos like that are exactly why I don't think I'm interested in Long War. Takes too long to do... ANYTHING.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Sorry, but videos like that are exactly why I don't think I'm interested in Long War. Takes too long to do... ANYTHING.

I am a horrible casual who would like a "Normal" difficulty that removes the invisible training wheels at mose, as opposed to "Let's put the impossible amount of enemies into Classic difficulty" or long war or assorted Actually Good At This Game I Need A Challenge alterations :downs: So the LONG part of long war aside, I respect the players who go through that and win, especially with all the crazy changes beyond just duration.

I also keep forgetting there is no Workshop integration for Xcom.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
So hey, there's another XCOM LP...kinda. It's exactly what you'd expect to have happen if the Commander was a chain-smoking teletubby.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So hey, there's another XCOM LP...kinda. It's exactly what you'd expect to have happen if the Commander was a chain-smoking teletubby.

well... that sure is something.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Section Z posted:

I also keep forgetting there is no Workshop integration for Xcom.

It's really kind of disturbing in a way how quickly I've gotten accustomed to Workshop to the point where I'm surprised when a supposedly moddable game doesn't support it...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hah. Reminds me of when I did Snake In Civilization, and other people followed with Snake In Fallout and Snake in Mount & Blade.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Hah. Reminds me of when I did Snake In Civilization, and other people followed with Snake In Fallout and Snake in Mount & Blade.

So, GOOD things then.

Also X-Com working out of a Movie studio just loops back to UFO so there is definitely a precedent.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

The fact that Shen is enough of a bro to just grab the booze and be ready to roll was pretty great all on its own.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

The first movie was art. It really spoke to me, deep down.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
EXALT is doing a good job keeping their location secret.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Glazius posted:

EXALT is doing a good job keeping their location secret.

I got the strangest tip for their location in my own game. It was 'a nation you can play in Civilization V'. Which doesn't really narrow it down that much, thanks game.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Kwyndig posted:

I got the strangest tip for their location in my own game. It was 'a nation you can play in Civilization V'. Which doesn't really narrow it down that much, thanks game.

Hah, this was just discussed in the other LP thread.

XCOM Wiki posted:

"The EXALT base is in a country you can play as in Civilization V."

Eliminates Canada, Argentina, South Africa, Nigeria, and Australia.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Cloud Potato posted:

Hah, this was just discussed in the other LP thread.

Thankfully the game automatically elimates thibgs for you as you go on.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I ended up save scumming when I was left with three nations and none of the hints narrowed it down any further as guessing wrong does hurt your relations with the nation.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Robindaybird posted:

I ended up save scumming when I was left with three nations and none of the hints narrowed it down any further as guessing wrong does hurt your relations with the nation.

Every hint I got knocked at least one nation out of consideration. The problem I have with EXALT is that they stopped being a legitimate threat long before I was able to find their HQ. Once you get plasma and Titan armor their missions are barely speedbumps.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Wow. I just started playing Long War (using the Second Wave options that make it more manageable [extra accuracy and less missions]), and Wow. So Many Weapons. I mean, yeah, most of them are just re-sized variations on the same weapon but still, they get different icons and stats, it's really useful.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So: who wants a Base Defense mission?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Speedball posted:

At last, the promised day is upon us!

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I look forward to how you handle the base MPs. Don't forget to keep everyone equipped! :allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

Base Defense? This is a thing?

Am I really that bad at this game to have never made it this far?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ugh, something happened and I can't update tonight like I wanted. gently caress real life. Sorry. Totally getting it done by the weekend though.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

ViggyNash posted:

Base Defense? This is a thing?

Am I really that bad at this game to have never made it this far?

It's a thing in Enemy Within. If you don't have that expansion, it isn't.

It happens a few weeks after you beat the alien base.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speedball posted:

Ugh, something happened and I can't update tonight like I wanted. gently caress real life. Sorry. Totally getting it done by the weekend though.

Life happens. We can wait. (gently caress goons)

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

Don't worry it's okay real life things take priority. Curiosity demands me to ask for details, Politeness says you should just ignore that first half. Edit: yeah, you really probably just should ignore me when I ask for details, and I probably should just stop asking questions that could be awkward, I'm not removing the comment as I want people to be... aware of my flaws I guess... and in part because it (to me) would feel sorta dishonest to just remove it and pretend I had more tact (I value honesty, which can lead to a lack of tact).

Remember, we're here for you man, if you want to voice your troubles we'll listen. There's no one is this thread who would mock you for them (unlike YouTube's comment section).

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 26, 2015

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Christ man, try to ignore your curiosity, someday it ma get you probated. And I'm not trying to be nasty here, I'm trying to look out for ya.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Siegkrow posted:

Christ man, try to ignore your curiosity, someday it ma get you probated. And I'm not trying to be nasty here, I'm trying to look out for ya.

Yeah, I said that politeness means he should probably just ignore me for a reason. I'm aware of possibly issues from asking questions, it's just that I like to try to get them answered even if it goes against tact, which I usually try to counter by being apologetic.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Stephen9001 posted:

Yeah, I said that politeness means he should probably just ignore me for a reason. I'm aware of possibly issues from asking questions, it's just that I like to try to get them answered even if it goes against tact, which I usually try to counter by being apologetic.

The problem is that people get offended, or otherwise negatively impacted, by the mere fact that you ask the question, and apologizing afterwards does not make up for that. You apologize for when you unintentionally make a mistake. You don't apologize when you punch someone in the face and they call you out on it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, as a routine you might want to try just not posting anything you feel the need to caveat with "you should probably ignore this." It might not come naturally, but it is the type of habit you can learn.

Base defenses are awesome, they were one of my favorite parts of original X-Com.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Stephen9001 posted:

I know its a rare occurrence but you dont need to post every thouht that eners your mind.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Rumda posted:

I know its a rare occurrence but you dont need to post every thouht that eners your mind.

If they're on the spectrum it's not that simple. Heck, people who aren't on the spectrum can have a bad habit of not saying what comes into their head.

But that's not in and of itself an excuse to just tack on an apology to stuff. Editing/filtering/censoring one's statements is learned behavior that might help prevent that sort of thing, in that it becomes a simple if/then question. "If I feel the need to put an apology on this because I think it might come off in a way I don't intend, then I should just delete the comment and move on." It may or may not help, I have no expertise in cognitive behavioral psych, but it might be worth trying if they really don't mean to offend.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Now now, let's not be assholes to the kid, I know what it's like to put your foot in your mouth, I tend to do it way too often IRL, while it's a bit easier for me to avoid that online, it still tends to happen.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Siegkrow posted:

Now now, let's not be assholes to the kid, I know what it's like to put your foot in your mouth, I tend to do it way too often IRL, while it's a bit easier for me to avoid that online, it still tends to happen.

I don't think anyone was trying to be an rear end in a top hat, just pointing out that this is a correctable behavior and that it should be corrected.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Yeah, I have my signature for a reason, and I do know not to say rude and insulting things, it's just that curiosity is a bit of a weakpoint of mine, and thus I have difficulty in preventing myself from asking questions. I mean, I once added vinegar (a little bit) to orange juice to see how it would taste. I actually liked it, but I don't think many other people would. I also sometimes have random thoughts that make me wonder things like what the end result of me using a lit candle to set the table on fire would be, or randomly saying a swear word in front of my parents back when I was like 14 (answer really bad, and that's stupid so don't do it) that I know not to do, and sometimes they can get a little unnerving, like "why would I even think that!?". Other times their harmless question to ask another person along the lines of "what would you do if you won the lottery?"
So essentially, I know to not be an rear end in a top hat who insults people because it's fun, or whatever, but when it comes to questions I have less restraint (this was good in school and continues to be good in university because teachers and lectures like students who asked questions, not so much when you want to ask a cripple what being crippled is like). This is amplified by the detachment the internet can bring, as while I couldn't work up the courage to ask a disabled person what it's like in meatspace because there it can have unpleasant consequences, on the internet where consequences are less visibly "real" I would likely say something like "if you don't mind me asking, what is living with your disability like?".
And about "don't need to say everything that comes to mind", people have no idea about the things that pop into my head that I [I] don't [I] voice, what I do say or post is much better than the worst of what sometimes comes into my head,, which I would only ever voice when badly drunk (there was once incident I will never live down that my housemates continue to make jokes about) or it was so concerning I felt the need to talk to a psychiatrist or something.

Anyway, back on topic, this thread isn't supposed to be about me and my life story! I can't wait to see how Speedball characterises the blue shirts.

And none of you came off as assholes to me, just concerned that I might do something seriously offensive.

Edit aimed at post now below this one: Yeah, I know that happens to other people too, I just sometimes worry if mine are more extreme or more frequent, it's not like other people are open about this sort of thing.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 26, 2015

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Stephen9001 posted:

I also sometimes have random thoughts that make me wonder things like what the end result of me using a lit candle to set the table on fire would be (answer really bad, and that's stupid so don't do it) that I know not to do, and sometimes they can get a little unnerving, like "why would I even think that!?".

Ugh I hate it when that happens to me.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

It's a thing in Enemy Within. If you don't have that expansion, it isn't.

It happens a few weeks after you beat the alien base.

I do. I can't even get to the base without getting massacred on some mission beforehand.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ViggyNash posted:

I do. I can't even get to the base without getting massacred on some mission beforehand.

Maybe you should head on over to Jade Star's LP of the game then and get yourself some gameplay hints.

My short-version hints, though, would be:

1) Only ever move into unexplored territory with your first or second soldier, so you still have turns left if you activate aliens.
2) Don't sprint if you can possibly avoid it, so you have a second move action to get into cover if you run into opposition.
3) Don't be afraid to use grenades. Sure you lose some weapon fragments; better than losing a soldier. Group of aliens? Grenade 'em. Alien in a bad position? Grenade 'em. Wall in the way? Grenade it.
4) Early-game, Heavies are very useful for their rockets, which are highly accurate and have good damage and blast radius. Assaults are very useful all game long for being able to run into a flanking position on an alien and unload into their faces. The other two classes take a bit longer to hit their stride.
5) Get a MEC as soon as possible. Probably an Assault MEC is the most helpful early-game one because they have crazy-good survivability. Long-term, turning a colonel sniper into a MEC will get you an insane gun platform to play with.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Oh, the Base Defense Mission!

Ever since I saw who Speedball was implying was the Commander, I've been waiting for this moment. For the chance to see that Glorious Hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe you should head on over to Jade Star's LP of the game then and get yourself some gameplay hints.

My short-version hints, though, would be:

1) Only ever move into unexplored territory with your first or second soldier, so you still have turns left if you activate aliens.
2) Don't sprint if you can possibly avoid it, so you have a second move action to get into cover if you run into opposition.
3) Don't be afraid to use grenades. Sure you lose some weapon fragments; better than losing a soldier. Group of aliens? Grenade 'em. Alien in a bad position? Grenade 'em. Wall in the way? Grenade it.
4) Early-game, Heavies are very useful for their rockets, which are highly accurate and have good damage and blast radius. Assaults are very useful all game long for being able to run into a flanking position on an alien and unload into their faces. The other two classes take a bit longer to hit their stride.
5) Get a MEC as soon as possible. Probably an Assault MEC is the most helpful early-game one because they have crazy-good survivability. Long-term, turning a colonel sniper into a MEC will get you an insane gun platform to play with.

Are there different benefits to MEC-ing different classes?

• Locked thread