Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Here I will complain that MineChem and BoP have done more than their fair share to pollute the RFtools dimlets available for making dimensions. BoP was bad with MystCraft because most pages were quasi-redundant biomes, rather than a mix of biomes, controllers, blocks, liquids, etc. Now not only do I have to deal with a gajillion biome dimlets, but actually many, many more liquid dimlets. I have to say it's tempting to try to create a dimension with oceans of liquid asprin and cocaine, but since I have so many other liquid dimlets over other things, I can't assume the rest of the dimension will make it possible to even witness any of it. Sure, I could recycle these dimlets, but what would I get? More MineChem liquids!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
TBH, someone needs to make a not-poo poo mystcraft clone.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Have you managed to actually make arrows in 1.7.10? In the RR3 pack, I set up all the pieces, and get nothing out the other end. Hell, it crashed my game once just lining up the pieces in a tool forge.

I think fiery string is still the best string. I had heard that sine the 1.6.4 days that redstone on the bow actually increases draw rate, but I didn't really measure it.

You can make arrows just fine as long as you don't use Extra TiC materials (ETiC still hasn't updated for the Tinkers' changes for some reason). And while fiery string is better stats-wise, enchanted fabric gives you a Writable bonus.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Truga posted:

I used to enjoy the old versions, but everything past 1.1.10 (I think, it was something .10, anyway) was just overcomplicated and obtuse. Now I only use it when I need to completely decimate an area for mining.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Truga posted:

Rftools or whatever has machine-based dimension generation and owns

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

THE PENETRATOR posted:

This sounds awesome, I will check it out on my next server.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Mr Scumbag posted:

I used to enjoy the old versions, but everything past 1.1.10 (I think, it was something .10, anyway) was just overcomplicated and obtuse. Now I only use it when I need to completely decimate an area for mining.

Don't need anything but Extra Utilities for that. The Deep Dark exists specifically to be mined out, has double ore generation, and nobody is gonna build there.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

THE PENETRATOR posted:

And now we're back to me complaining about the bazillion MineChem liquid dimlets I keep getting, and despite the novelty of swimming in oceans of liquid aspirin and cocaine, the novelty wears off very quickly.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
So in Blightfall, has anyone been able to find any Sky stone chests at all? I've hollowed out 3 meteorites so far, with nothing but sky stone to show for it. The chest isn't even in NEI as far as I can see.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
The guy who makes Blightfall (or someone who knows him) posts here, right? There's a couple... maybe-bugs I wanted to mention:

- One of the geologist "turn in a bunch of cobblestone" quests wants Lignite, but near as I can tell you can't get actual lignite blocks without silk touch - mining the blocks turns them into a coal-like resource which can't be recrafted into the blocks.

- Several Silverwood trees in the silverwood grove don't have actual pure nodes in them, which makes them just as susceptible to taint as normal silverwood trees. The quest book pushes "the trees are safe" pretty hard, so seeing those trees getting eaten might confuse some people - plus it makes that area considerably less safe than the book claims.

- Mushroom soup doesn't appear to interact with the hunger-modifying mod correctly; it always gives you 100% nutrition and you never get sick of it. Not that I'm complaining about it, but it makes that one food item significantly better than everything else.

- The secret room behind the waterfall underneath the mountain lake point has a bunch of thaumcraft research notes in it, but... they don't actually appear to be for anything. They're just generic research notes that, as far as I can tell, don't actually do anything.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Dunno-Lars posted:

A tip for blightfall, after you get your smelter up. Get a horse or another animal and toss it into the smelter. The horse will give you glue, the others blood.

Two things about this:

- You may need to have a hot liquid in the smeltery for this to work (but once you get blood in there, that counts)
- If you're desperate, you can stand in a 1-high smeltery yourself to get blood. (It does damage over time, not instant death.)

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Nastyman posted:

So in Blightfall, has anyone been able to find any Sky stone chests at all? I've hollowed out 3 meteorites so far, with nothing but sky stone to show for it. The chest isn't even in NEI as far as I can see.

They are disabled. He didn't realize that was the only way to get the presses, and will be adding recipes for them soon.

President Ark posted:

The guy who makes Blightfall (or someone who knows him) posts here, right? There's a couple... maybe-bugs I wanted to mention:

- One of the geologist "turn in a bunch of cobblestone" quests wants Lignite, but near as I can tell you can't get actual lignite blocks without silk touch - mining the blocks turns them into a coal-like resource which can't be recrafted into the blocks.

- Several Silverwood trees in the silverwood grove don't have actual pure nodes in them, which makes them just as susceptible to taint as normal silverwood trees. The quest book pushes "the trees are safe" pretty hard, so seeing those trees getting eaten might confuse some people - plus it makes that area considerably less safe than the book claims.

- Mushroom soup doesn't appear to interact with the hunger-modifying mod correctly; it always gives you 100% nutrition and you never get sick of it. Not that I'm complaining about it, but it makes that one food item significantly better than everything else.

- The secret room behind the waterfall underneath the mountain lake point has a bunch of thaumcraft research notes in it, but... they don't actually appear to be for anything. They're just generic research notes that, as far as I can tell, don't actually do anything.

I am definitely not complaining about the mushroom soup either. I think it might be because they don't stack that Spice of Life sees them as different items every time.

Those notes are apparently supposed to be boiled down for some kind of essentia maybe? Otherwise they're just there for flavor.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

President Ark posted:

You should post those in the thread. Someone actually asked about the notes in there and he said they're not intended to be used, they're just there for show.

Right now the big bug is zombies and skeletons not spawning anywhere, the current theory is that the hostile mob limit is being taken up by tainted wildlife and taint swarms.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there an up-to-date 1.7.10 modpack centered around Galacticraft with just a few minimal helpers? I was thinking of having some folks together to do a race to the moon.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Someone posted in the blightfall thread about crashing on load, look at the log file, OutOfMemoryError right at the top. Why? Because they're using goddamn 32-bit Windows 8, and thus 32-bit java. The only excuse I can think of for a 32-bit Windows 8 machine in TYOOL 2015 is it's someone's older machine that they've been upgrading.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

You should post those in the thread. Someone actually asked about the notes in there and he said they're not intended to be used, they're just there for show.

Right now the big bug is zombies and skeletons not spawning anywhere, the current theory is that the hostile mob limit is being taken up by tainted wildlife and taint swarms.

Yeah, but then I'd have to register for the Minecraft forums, and... :effort:

What's a good source of Sano (healing) in Blightfall? Only one I know of is from Buckets of Milk, and those have 4 other essentia tied to them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

President Ark posted:

Yeah, but then I'd have to register for the Minecraft forums, and... :effort:

What's a good source of Sano (healing) in Blightfall? Only one I know of is from Buckets of Milk, and those have 4 other essentia tied to them.

Potions, sadly. You can actually mouse over the aspects in the thaumonomicon now and get popups for certain items that are the best sources. They're not completely accurate (ordo doesn't list chisselled stone bricks for example) but it's a good baseline.

For a complete list look here

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Potions, sadly. You can actually mouse over the aspects in the thaumonomicon now and get popups for certain items that are the best sources. They're not completely accurate (ordo doesn't list chisselled stone bricks for example) but it's a good baseline.

Yeah, that'd help, but all the thaumonomicon lists for Sano is milk and Ethereal Blooms, which are what I'm trying to make. :v:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

taiyoko posted:

Someone posted in the blightfall thread about crashing on load, look at the log file, OutOfMemoryError right at the top. Why? Because they're using goddamn 32-bit Windows 8, and thus 32-bit java. The only excuse I can think of for a 32-bit Windows 8 machine in TYOOL 2015 is it's someone's older machine that they've been upgrading.

i spent all my money on parts and didnt have enough to buy windows... !

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I thought the idea was that the thaum'con only showed items you've scanned with that aspect, not necessarily the best

President Ark posted:

Yeah, that'd help, but all the thaumonomicon lists for Sano is milk and Ethereal Blooms, which are what I'm trying to make. :v:

apparently cake and golden apples have it too

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I try to shame people now over using 32-bit by reminding them AMD64 started in 2003. If AMD64 was a person, AMD64 right now would be starting to listen to loud music and exploring its sexuality. I don't know if it works.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's really hard to mass-produced sano without getting a mana bean farm up and running. I'm not sure what your options for getting mana beans in Blightfall are though, I'm waiting for some significant revisions before I play it. The pack just has too many dumb choices like the disabled AE presses that indicate he never really tested his own pack.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Has anyone tried Resonant Rise? I'm finding that it's impossible to use any mod that uses silicon except Galacticraft, because breaking silicon ore blocks drops Galacticraft-specific silicon chunks that can't be used or converted to any other form that is usable to other mods (Like Electricraft or Redpower). Am I missing something or is this a pack oversight?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Bottled milk has sano too, and is the easiest thing to get in mass quantities. There's a quest in the Engineer's section that tells you to do this, even-- with a rancher and liquid transposer. An alchemical furnace can be set up to handle sano production this way, and some of the byproducts are useful too. You'll STILL get metallum from the bottles because thaumcraft's automated aspect calculation thinks the recipe consumes a bucket of milk.

I do agree that healing potions are less complicated, but it requires gold, which is harder to get than glass.

Oh, and the Dark One has a quest for making blooms too. I haven't quite gotten to it so I'm not sure if it's easier than melting milk bottles. It's rather difficult to progress in that quest tree anyway.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Ironically, the top of the obsidian tower is an excellent spot for your farms once you get totems of the dawn. Big flat area with dirt with a natural border, a bunch of aura nodes, a convenient elevator down to a room that can have its torches removed to grow mushrooms/oreberries, and once you progress into blood magic you can sacrifice the farm animals :unsmigghh:

President Ark fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 25, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

PiCroft posted:

Has anyone tried Resonant Rise? I'm finding that it's impossible to use any mod that uses silicon except Galacticraft, because breaking silicon ore blocks drops Galacticraft-specific silicon chunks that can't be used or converted to any other form that is usable to other mods (Like Electricraft or Redpower). Am I missing something or is this a pack oversight?

I had suspected the Galacticraft silicon was kept that way as some kind of extra hurdle that was part of the original Galacticraft VISION. Otherwise, you can SAG mill some basic materials and get silicon quite easily.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I had suspected the Galacticraft silicon was kept that way as some kind of extra hurdle that was part of the original Galacticraft VISION. Otherwise, you can SAG mill some basic materials and get silicon quite easily.

SAG mill is EnderIO, yes? I'll give it a try, thanks!

I was also advised to add GC raw silicon to the siliconOre oredictionary myself using minetweaker which is actually surprisingly simple. Might tweak a few other recipes while I'm playing with it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

President Ark posted:

Ironically, the top of the obsidian tower is an excellent spot for your farms once you get totems of the dawn. Big flat area with dirt with a natural border, a bunch of aura nodes, a convenient elevator down to a room that can have its torches removed to grow mushrooms/oreberries, and once you progress into blood magic you can sacrifice the farm animals :unsmigghh:

Turns out there's also a mineshaft directly under it that a totem would also clean out for easy mining!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What's up with the nether cats in Biosphere^4 in ME^4? Even with a necrotic sword, full armor, and penicillin, they eviscerate me. I'm not even sure I'm doing damage. Is there something I'm not getting? I don't know what mod they're from and looking up "minecraft nether cats" doesn't return much.

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003
They're from EnderZoo, and as I recall their hitboxes are much smaller than the actual mob.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That makes sense. They are the size of a normal cat when they can't see you and then grow when they go hostile.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sorry for the double post. Whenever I scoop up a bucket of molten kalendrite, it disappears. Do I need some kind of special reinforced bucket?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

President Ark posted:

Turns out there's also a mineshaft directly under it that a totem would also clean out for easy mining!

What's a good way to actually get the totems? Is it a thaumcraft research I haven't found yet, or it is just out there in the world somewhere?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ariong posted:

That makes sense. They are the size of a normal cat when they can't see you and then grow when they go hostile.

I don't think they actually pick a fight until you attack them once.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

What's a good way to actually get the totems? Is it a thaumcraft research I haven't found yet, or it is just out there in the world somewhere?

It's a research past Ethereal Blooms.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I would like to amend my previous statement;

I still have no idea how the gently caress the new whitelist files work.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

HiKaizer posted:

I'm pretty sure that if you delete the .json version and create a .txt version (just remember that unlike the json version it's "white-list.txt", with the dash), it'll convert it to the .json version when it starts.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Another Blightfall question: Will it be possible to get Ender Pearls? I'm not seeing Endermen at all and I figure that's a bug of course but I don't know if I have any recourse for it.

Also, is it just me having such a hard time fighting tainted animals? It's not even that they're fast or strong, it just feels like half the time my hits don't register. Like I'll swing my big old sword and it just doesn't count. Do they have super hosed up hitboxes? They seem really small and center, like spiders, and hitting them is a crapshoot. Maybe the fibrous taint is messing with things? I don't know but it sucks.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there an up-to-date 1.7.10 modpack centered around Galacticraft with just a few minimal helpers? I was thinking of having some folks together to do a race to the moon.

Morepower II has galacticraft + mars, the other mods are TiC Iguana and the usual tech things. we also use SGCraft to provide stargates into the mystcraft worlds we have made on the server. as we have disabled the inkmixer and book binder as if people make new worlds it crashes the server....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

HiKaizer posted:

its the same as the op list, you have to use the console to whitelist/ op people as it pulls their id and puts it in the file.

I think the idea was get away from manual editing of the file and just do it via console

• Locked thread