Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

PR tires apparently don't come in the right size for my bike :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What bike?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

What bike?

81 cm400c.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

rotaryfun posted:

They're the only tires I buy and I've now bought a set for 3 different bikes. Just got my new set of 4's in on Monday and I'm excited to get them on the bike.

They are just vastly superior to every other brand's ST tyre offerings.

GIS of this bike indicates it is an old timey thing with funny tyre sizes that will limit selection considerably.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Probably crossply tires like my '86. Get Avon Roadriders, if not available then Bridgestone BT45s are also good. Don't worry about missing out on the PR4 longevity the others are getting, your tires will be cheaper and last longer. My front Avon did 27000 km, almost 17k miles, rear tire did a bit over half.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Ola posted:

Probably crossply tires like my '86. Get Avon Roadriders, if not available then Bridgestone BT45s are also good. Don't worry about missing out on the PR4 longevity the others are getting, your tires will be cheaper and last longer. My front Avon did 27000 km, almost 17k miles, rear tire did a bit over half.

Sweet! I'll be getting new tires after I get a new petcock valve and figure out my fuel flow issues.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wizard of Smart posted:

Sweet! I'll be getting new tires after I get a new petcock valve and figure out my fuel flow issues.

Petcock.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

M42 posted:

On the other side of the spectrum, the grom is the perfect size for me. I fully intend to test ride one this season, to see how it feels to actually fit your bike.

This looks like an On Any Sunday tshirt that I've seen posted around here before. Where did you find it?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
My name is Crotch Fruit, I ride a cruiser, and I ask stupid questions. I am considering getting a sport bike sometime in the future if I can afford one, the first google result for "first sport bike" basically says you will kill yourself if you get a four cylinder super sport since they are finely tuned high RPM engines that will flip over backwards/forwards if you touch the controls wrong. I've logged a lot of time and miles on cruisers, will a super sport kill me? I think something like a Ninja 500 is probably better for me but I just don't know.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Yeah it's not a good idea for a first bike but no it won't just kill you for touching it. They can be twitchy with the throttle but not throw you off the bike twitchy. And a Ninja 500 is certainly not going to be anything like a litre bike super sport.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Crotch Fruit posted:

My name is Crotch Fruit, I ride a cruiser, and I ask stupid questions. I am considering getting a sport bike sometime in the future if I can afford one, the first google result for "first sport bike" basically says you will kill yourself if you get a four cylinder super sport since they are finely tuned high RPM engines that will flip over backwards/forwards if you touch the controls wrong. I've logged a lot of time and miles on cruisers, will a super sport kill me? I think something like a Ninja 500 is probably better for me but I just don't know.

You gotta wait for a middleweight supersport to wind up for a while before it really gets going because they literally have no torque.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you're dumb, it's really easy to power a wheelie up in 1st or 2nd on a 600 by rolling off and on quick over 6-8k. My GSXR750 would power up WOT alone in 1st or 2nd but it was down one up front.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Deeters posted:

This looks like an On Any Sunday tshirt that I've seen posted around here before. Where did you find it?

Good eye. It was an aeropostale closeout of all things. This was some months back, it'll probably be hard to find now, but you could try ebay.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Crotch Fruit posted:

Ninja 500 doesn't really qualify as a sport bike if you ask me. They're fairly comfortable and easy to manage, kinda boring. I recommend test riding a real sport bike before deciding if you really want a real sport bike. They look fast and sexy but they're mostly just a pain in the rear end. Only fun in the twisties.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Ride a 600 before you ride a 1000 too. You'll think the 600 is pretty quick until you try a literbike.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I put 30,000 miles on a VZ800 cruiser before switching to a ZX-6. Skills-wise I was definitely ready for the switch. The 600 was fun on onramps but overall it sucked to own. If I were to do it over I'd get an FZ6/1 or Bandit instead.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Crotch Fruit posted:

Supersports are uncomfortable, but you won't likely kill yourself on one if you already know how to ride. Don't forget about the various flavors of things like Bandits, VFRs, FZs, (a bunch of italian bikes go here), etc. They're reasonably sporty with a (usually) more tolerable rear end:ankle ratio.

e: Unless I'm misreading and you just want a supersport to gently caress around with on weekends. In which case go hog wild and get a ZX6r or something :v:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 26, 2015

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

M42 posted:

Good eye. It was an aeropostale closeout of all things. This was some months back, it'll probably be hard to find now, but you could try ebay.

I recognized the colors and remembered I wanted to find one. I was hoping it was an actual bike place.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Crotch Fruit posted:

The RC390 comes out in like 2 weeks.

COME ONNNNN

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Ninja 500 doesn't really qualify as a sport bike if you ask me. They're fairly comfortable and easy to manage, kinda boring. I recommend test riding a real sport bike before deciding if you really want a real sport bike. They look fast and sexy but they're mostly just a pain in the rear end. Only fun in the twisties.

All the parallel twin ninjas are babby's first ST from what I can tell.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Petcock.

Yes. That's the word. :confused:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wizard of Smart posted:

Yes. That's the word. :confused:

What is...?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

What has happened to the hivemind? It used to recommend SV650s to everyone, clearly this is a perfect case.

Crotch Fruit posted:

So yeah, get an SV650. It has enough power to be fun and it kills you in a more linear and predictable way compared to an I4. It's also very popular in the second hand market, so if you don't like it you won't have any trouble selling it again.

Slavvy posted:

What is...?

Pet. Cock.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Thank for the FZ6 suggestion, I will continue to comb through craigslist crap since a second bike is not happening anytime soon. Hell, I don't even know where I would keep another bike without parking my car in the driveway all the time, which sucks during winter.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
FZ6 BestZ6

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget to include Honda 599 in that search.

Hopefully this snow melts and I'll get some more scenic pictures of this thang soon

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Superduke 1290 in rain mode.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Z3n posted:

Superduke 1290 in rain mode.

Or anything else, and pocket the extra $10,000.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hot sauce posted:

Don't forget to include Honda 599 in that search.

Hopefully this snow melts and I'll get some more scenic pictures of this thang soon

BAD HORNET! GET BEHIND UNDER THE STAIRS AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I really wish the 599 came to the states in a fuel injected version.

I just can't do carbs again. I can't.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Yeah, this.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The 650f is the unofficial replacement.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The unofficial unbelievably-crap-by-comparison replacement.

Only honda can make a 4 cylinder engine 50cc's bigger whilst dropping power down to a 650 twin's level and quadrupling the lameness factor.

I know there are market pressures leading to this but it still sucks arse. Honda now effectively have nothing to bridge the performance/sophistication gap between their Ninja 650-competitor range and the puncture-your-scrotum CBR600RR.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Slavvy posted:

The unofficial unbelievably-crap-by-comparison replacement.

Only honda can make a 4 cylinder engine 50cc's bigger whilst dropping power down to a 650 twin's level and quadrupling the lameness factor.

I know there are market pressures leading to this but it still sucks arse. Honda now effectively have nothing to bridge the performance/sophistication gap between their Ninja 650-competitor range and the puncture-your-scrotum CBR600RR.

And that's exactly the problem I expect to have in 3 months' time :/

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

BAD HORNET! GET BEHIND UNDER THE STAIRS AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE!

Lol thanks for pointing out what I was going to.

FZ6 enjoying nature. 599 stuck under the steps.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Yeah it's kind of a bitch to start at the moment. I'm planning on cleaning them the first weekend my hands won't freeze while working on it.

Savvy, nsap - hibernation is almost over :)

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 27, 2015

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

hot sauce posted:

Savvy, nsap - hibernation is almost over :)

LOL, look at this hubris. We're going to be frozen until one day its 95 with 80% humidity and only then will you know winter is over and summer has come.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I am 5'8" or just as tall,as Tom Cruise and Napoleon Bonaparte. Would there be a better bike suited to me? I have never really felt short sitting on bikes at the dealers but I just don't want to get "the bike for tall people".

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Crotch Fruit posted:

I have never really felt short sitting on bikes at the dealers but I just don't want to get "the bike for tall people".

I'm not convinced such a thing really exists (other than maybe a GSA). Height doesn't matter once you're moving and you get used to stopping and leaning with a tall bike pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I am 5'8" or just as tall,as Tom Cruise and Napoleon Bonaparte. Would there be a better bike suited to me? I have never really felt short sitting on bikes at the dealers but I just don't want to get "the bike for tall people".

Have you looked at the Grom? If you're interested in something more cruiser oriented you could consider the Honda Rebel.