Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Waltzing Along posted:

I have a question about the virtual console.

I am playing Earthbound and am using quick save slot to do saves.
If I play a 2nd game can I do the same thing or is it only one save slot for all games?

I don't want to test it in case it kills the first save.

Games have their own slots and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cool, thanks. I didn't think Nintendo would be that stupid.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Looper posted:

I'd prefer an HD remake, Skies doesn't need a sequel

that would be fine too

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Beanzor posted:

Bayo2 also nets you some club nintendo points

This made me remember I never registered Bayo and now I have star fox on my 3DS. Bayo brings the gift of star fox yet again

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

Well.

Okay, so I don't know exactly why you got annoyed by Midna since she's one of the best characters in Twilight Princess, but if it has anything at all to do with her role as the game's exposition fairy companion, just know that Skyward Sword features the absolute worst version of that role in all of the Zelda series. I hope you enjoy being told things you knew five dungeons ago!

Other than that, Skyward Sword is a great game and well worth playing, but given what you said about your prior Zelda playing, it's probably not going to do much for you.

I don't mind exposition fairies, but Midna isn't actually expositioning. She mostly just mocks you and acts like an imp.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
More like a pimp 'cause y'all bitchin a lot

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Bayonetta 2 contains 2 full-length games for $60, while by my understanding Rainbow Curse is like .75 of a retail game for $40. Bayo is the clear winner in terms of hours of entertainment per dollar.

e: though if you don't like challenging, technical action games and/or the game's tendency to lay the sex appeal on thick puts you off (bearing in mind that it kinda puts everyone off a little) then you should probably stay away from Bayonetta!!!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Sade posted:

(bearing in mind that it kinda puts everyone off a little)

speak for yourself

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sade posted:

the game's tendency to lay the sex appeal on thick

Why, I never noticed!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sade posted:

in terms of hours of entertainment per dollar.

Don't rate video games this way

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Looper posted:

Don't rate video games this way

Alternatively: don't base video games solely in terms of hours of entertainment. It's fine if it's a deciding factor, it helps people avoid mistakes like The Order: 1886.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

If they make a Skies of Arcadia remake/sequel they need to rachet back the encounter rate to something more reasonable than "every two steps"

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Darth TNT posted:

I don't mind exposition fairies, but Midna isn't actually expositioning. She mostly just mocks you and acts like an imp.

This is exactly why she's the best companion character

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Waltzing Along posted:

Cool, thanks. I didn't think Nintendo would be that stupid.

To clarify, it's one quick-save slot per game. If you started a new save file on Earthbound and used quick-safe on that, it would over-write the first one, but playing say, Fire Emblem at the same time as Earthbound wouldn't affect Earthbound's quick-save slot at all. That would be dumb.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I think it's also per console account, so if you select a different Mii on boot you'd get different saves for VC games.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

I mean, it's really hard to suck against the Mario Kart AI. If you lose to them, you're actually just bad at life.

Have you ever raced against the 150cc/Mirror Mode AI on Dolphin Shoals? I'm convinced they souped up the AI for that stage because the track was too difficult for the AI to navigate or something. :tinfoil:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

oddium posted:

If they make a Skies of Arcadia remake/sequel they need to rachet back the encounter rate to something more reasonable than "every two steps"

More ships, ship customization, and ship battles would be my wants

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

oddium posted:

They did with Skies of Arcadia Legends. The only thing they'd need to really change is to fix the music.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

All of the Donkey Kong Country games are on the eshop today!!! :woop:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Buying a DKC game gets you a 30% discount on Tropical Freeze, too (or DKCR3D on 3DS if you have your NNID linked across both systems).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Buying a DKC game gets you a 30% discount on Tropical Freeze, too (or DKCR3D on 3DS if you have your NNID linked across both systems).

Most people here probably have their own external hard drive, but keep in mind that Tropical Freeze is an 11GB download if you just use internal memory.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Is the discount separate? As in, could someone buy a DKC game and then give me the 30% discount?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

noirstronaut posted:

Is the discount separate? As in, could someone buy a DKC game and then give me the 30% discount?

No, and if they could, they shouldn't.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

No, and if they could, they shouldn't.

I don't need this harassment.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I've been pretty interested in Tropical Freeze, and never played any of the originals. Are their any major quality discrepancies or should I jus grab the first one.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I never played much of a 3D Zelda game before. I was a Playstation kid after SNES. My girlfriend got me a Wii U for my birthday last week and I picked up Wind Waker. Holy poo poo I see why people love Zelda games so much. I mean, the original Zelda and Link to the Past are some of my favorite games from childhood, so I don't really get how I skipped like 7 Zelda games, but whatever. Yay fun!

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Loki_XLII posted:

I've been pretty interested in Tropical Freeze, and never played any of the originals. Are their any major quality discrepancies or should I jus grab the first one.

The first one isnt bad, its just a mediocre platformer from an era of amazing ones, and it also has some bs if you're trying to 100% it. DKC3 on the other hand leans somewhat heavily on weird gimmick stages, which is alright as well. If you were going to only get one DKC game, I would personally say get DKC2, basely solely on Bramble Blast.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

mabels big day posted:

All of the Donkey Kong Country games are on the eshop today!!! :woop:

DKC 1, 2 and 3? In NA?

Please say yes to both of those. I have been dying to play these games again.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

oopsie rock posted:

DKC 1, 2 and 3? In NA?

Please say yes to both of those. I have been dying to play these games again.

Yes! It hasn't updated yet but it's coming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWDFolSymws

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tropical Freeze was a great game until you get to the world that is entirely water levels :(

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Yes! It hasn't updated yet but it's coming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWDFolSymws

YESSSSSS YAY :dance:

I stupidly swapped away my old cartridges before downloading them for the Wii, and when I went to buy them for posterity they were gone thanks to that kerfuffle with Rare. I have been living an empty shell of a life since then and now, finally, I can be complete again.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

Tropical Freeze was a great game until you get to the world that is entirely water levels :(

Power through it. That world sucks, but the game gets amazing again afterwards.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
There's nothing about Tropical Freeze aside from all that HD goodness that makes it worthy of all of the Wii U's resources right? Like, if the game were in 480p, it could be a Wii game? I'm asking because I kinda think, if the New 3DS is here for a few more years, it'd be possible to see Tropical Freeze come to the 3DS.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Abu Dave posted:

No, that world is good too

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

noirstronaut posted:

There's nothing about Tropical Freeze aside from all that HD goodness that makes it worthy of all of the Wii U's resources right? Like, if the game were in 480p, it could be a Wii game? I'm asking because I kinda think, if the New 3DS is here for a few more years, it'd be possible to see Tropical Freeze come to the 3DS.

That would make me sad, since the game would likely look and run like poo poo

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

noirstronaut posted:

I don't think you could scale it down. It's not just higher resolution, there's a ton of effects going on, better models, longer levels, more layers, etc

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

No, that world is good too

Yes it is, except for the underwater bits.

The swimming in Tropical Freeze blew chunks, which is even weirder considering how harmless the original games' underwater stages were.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MK8 is way more accessible which I feel makes it better for multiplayer but sonic racing has so much more single player stuff to do it's ridiculous.

They're both really well made.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They did with Skies of Arcadia Legends. The only thing they'd need to really change is to fix the music.

What's wrong with the music? I remember it being pretty catchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Oxxidation posted:

Yes it is, except for the underwater bits.

The swimming in Tropical Freeze blew chunks, which is even weirder considering how harmless the original games' underwater stages were.

The swimming was fine. Easy to control you can move really fast if you use Dixie or Diddy, which is the big issue with most water levels. I think people mostly complain about water levels these days because its a meme. The key level wasn't great but that's the only one that was annoying and it doesn't really take long and has good music

• Locked thread