Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DNova posted:

Is there any earth orbit that would exactly mimic the apparent position of the sun to an observer on the surface of the earth?

None that wouldn't need elaborate amounts of continual thrust applied to maintain proper speed and to match the sun for more than one day of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

DNova posted:

Is there any earth orbit that would exactly mimic the apparent position of the sun to an observer on the surface of the earth?

No, not without literally insane amounts of propellant

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Thanks kindly!

e: The L1 point accomplishes this if I eliminate the requirement of being an earth orbit, right?

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 25, 2015

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

DNova posted:

Thanks kindly!

e: The L1 point accomplishes this if I eliminate the requirement of being an earth orbit, right?

Nope. L1 has the same period as the Earth, but the earth still spins. So you're poo poo out of luck there, too

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

TATPants posted:

Nope. L1 has the same period as the Earth, but the earth still spins. So you're poo poo out of luck there, too

L1 is a point on a line between the center of the earth and the center of the sun, so if I assume both are spheres and I stand anywhere on the surface of the earth and I can look at the sun, I am looking through the L1 point, aren't I?

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

DNova posted:

L1 is a point on a line between the center of the earth and the center of the sun, so if I assume both are spheres and I stand anywhere on the surface of the earth and I can look at the sun, I am looking through the L1 point, aren't I?

Have you ever seen the Sun during the night?

edit1: The L1 point exists whether or not you are looking at it. To further compound your problem, the Earth does not spin in the same plane that it orbits the sun, so an observer on earth has a different view of the sun every day.

edit2: this seems to be a discussion that should be held somewhere else. If you are looking for homework help or some philosophical discussion, try the "ask me about physics" thread. If this is a astronomy question, there is a "rockets" thread in SAL

TATPants fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 25, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

TATPants posted:

Have you ever seen the Sun during the night?

No.

DNova posted:

edit for your edits:

quote:

edit1: The L1 point exists whether or not you are looking at it. To further compound your problem, the Earth does not spin in the same plane that it orbits the sun, so an observer on earth has a different view of the sun every day.

edit2: this seems to be a discussion that should be held somewhere else. If you are looking for homework help or some philosophical discussion, try the "ask me about physics" thread. If this is a astronomy question, there is a "rockets" thread in SAL

I don't understand your edit1, and I agree with your edit2. It's not homework. I guess I'll try the physics thread. Thanks.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 25, 2015

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

I'm having a hard time remembering my high school French. If I have a building I'm referring to by name and want an approximate translation of that in French, how would I structure that?

It's a dumb question, but for example if I have a place called the Chicago Theater would the French approximation of that be Théâtre Chicago or simply Chicago Théâtre? I have the feeling that the second would be a generic term referring to "a theater in Chicago" but my brain is not working right tonight. There's probably a "de" or "du" or some other thing I'm forgetting in there too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Techno Remix posted:

I'm having a hard time remembering my high school French. If I have a building I'm referring to by name and want an approximate translation of that in French, how would I structure that?

It's a dumb question, but for example if I have a place called the Chicago Theater would the French approximation of that be Théâtre Chicago or simply Chicago Théâtre? I have the feeling that the second would be a generic term referring to "a theater in Chicago" but my brain is not working right tonight. There's probably a "de" or "du" or some other thing I'm forgetting in there too.

De. Theatre de Chicago.

The rules of de and du and such are weird for English speakers.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Ahh, yes, that seems familiar. Thank you.

Your link doesn't seem to go anywhere, unfortunately. But thank you!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Techno Remix posted:

Ahh, yes, that seems familiar. Thank you.

Your link doesn't seem to go anywhere, unfortunately. But thank you!

Huh, it's a good about.com article. First result when you google de and du difference.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

tuyop posted:

Huh, it's a good about.com article. First result when you google de and du difference.

Oh, cool. I was checking around about.com for a while but I must not have been looking in the right spot. I'll check it out, thanks.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
While a very good general rule, I would say it sort of depends on context too. If the building has a real name, like "Chicago Theater", or "Sears Tower", or whatever and I was translating text into French, I probably wouldn't translate the name at all. And then in French, when naming places we don't always use the "de". The Opera situated at Bastille is called Opéra Bastille for example.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wanted to know where the image from this wallpaper came from?

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I have two sentences.

English is the most difficult of all subjects.
English is most difficult of all subjects.

Do both of those sound correct in casual conversation?

I'm looking at this homepage:

http://www.perfect-english-grammar.com/superlatives.html

It says,

It's possible to drop 'the' when the adjective is used later in the sentence, rather than directly before the noun. We can choose either 'the' or 'no article', with no change in meaning:
She is (the) most beautiful.
This café is (the) best.
John and Lisa are (the) most intelligent.
This bowl is (the) biggest.
This is not possible when the adjective comes directly before the noun:
He is fastest swimmer.

So doesn't that mean that either sentence is correct? "of all subjects" is definitely not a noun.
Or maybe, “English is most difficult, of all subjects” ?

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

bowmore posted:

I wanted to know where the image from this wallpaper came from?

It seems to be Earthbound fan art by someone called "omocat".

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pylb posted:

It seems to be Earthbound fan art by someone called "omocat".
Oh ok, that's slightly disappointing even though I like the wallpaper. Thanks for the answer!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

aherdofpenguins posted:

I have two sentences.

English is the most difficult of all subjects.
English is most difficult of all subjects.

Do both of those sound correct in casual conversation?

I'm looking at this homepage:

http://www.perfect-english-grammar.com/superlatives.html

It says,

It's possible to drop 'the' when the adjective is used later in the sentence, rather than directly before the noun. We can choose either 'the' or 'no article', with no change in meaning:
She is (the) most beautiful.
This café is (the) best.
John and Lisa are (the) most intelligent.
This bowl is (the) biggest.
This is not possible when the adjective comes directly before the noun:
He is fastest swimmer.

So doesn't that mean that either sentence is correct? "of all subjects" is definitely not a noun.

I would say the second sentence sounds wrong in casual English. As I understand it, when you remove the definite article it is no longer a superlative. Saying something is "most beautiful", to me, is a very posh way of saying "very beautiful" as opposed to expressly stating that it is the most beautiful thing of all. "English is most difficult." is a valid sentence in my eyes, where "English is most difficult, of all subjects." is not.

The link you provided is probably strictly correct, and 'most xxx' has retained currency in language (barely), while most other example are now so rare that they sound ridiculous. If somebody said to me "This cafe is best" or "This bowl is biggest" without any prior conversation, I would assume they have learning difficulties or can't speak English properly.

However, if somebody asked me "Which bowl is the biggest?" it would be acceptable to reply with "This bowl is biggest."

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Basically if you're making a superlative out of a collective subject, you should use a definite article to represent it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

aherdofpenguins posted:

"English is the most difficult of all subjects" is both correct and idiomatic.

"English is most difficult, of all subjects" is not correct, which is confusing, because "Of all subjects, English is most difficult" is just fine (though "Of all subjects, English is the most difficult" is more idiomatic).

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
This is as good a place as any.

I know especially with micro-USB mobile devices, all chargers aren't created equal. Is there any reason to not just buy tablet chargers for phones as well as tablets? Are there any actual phones that would be damaged by the extra wattage?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm already assuming what the answer will be, but here goes:

My girlfriend forgot to turn on the crock pot this morning to cook a beef roast. She seared it last night on all sides, then put it in the crock pot in the fridge overnight. She took it out this morning at ~7:30 EST.

Should we risk still trying to cook it? Her plan was to turn it on high and cook it for ~3 hours or so.

Between the searing last night, and then immediately going into the crock pot with a lid on it in the fridge, the lid being on all day, it stands a chance at being ok, right?

I also turn down the heat during the day, so the kitchen is probably only 55-60 degrees, and likely closer to 55 (I set the thermostat to 60 and "economy" mode, and the heater is just one single unit in the living room, so the kitchen never gets as warm as what it's set to.)

Obviously, she's going to give it the ol' smell test first, but that's not exactly the most scientifically reliable method.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

DrBouvenstein posted:

blah blah
stands a chance at being ok, right?

It stands a chance of being full of bacteria. Just write it off as a loss so you and your mom don't get explosive diarrhea.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

My girlfriend forgot to turn on the crock pot this morning to cook a beef roast. She seared it last night on all sides, then put it in the crock pot in the fridge overnight. She took it out this morning at ~7:30 EST.

Should we risk still trying to cook it? Her plan was to turn it on high and cook it for ~3 hours or so.

Between the searing last night, and then immediately going into the crock pot with a lid on it in the fridge, the lid being on all day, it stands a chance at being ok, right?

I also turn down the heat during the day, so the kitchen is probably only 55-60 degrees, and likely closer to 55 (I set the thermostat to 60 and "economy" mode, and the heater is just one single unit in the living room, so the kitchen never gets as warm as what it's set to.)

Obviously, she's going to give it the ol' smell test first, but that's not exactly the most scientifically reliable method.

The biggest risk here will have been caused when the meat went into the chiller. If the meat and/or the pot was above 10C the heat could potentially have transferred to the chiller, meaning the meat takes even longer to reach and then maintain safe temperature.

The danger zone for meat is between five and sixty three degrees C. Your 55 is in f, i assume, which is about 12C.

The longer it is kept at any temperature between 5 and 63, the higher the risk. In ideal conditions (danger zone) one bacterium spore will multiply every twenty minutes. Idk how many that will make in your scenario but it's a fuckin lot, and you'd need the meat to reach an internal temperature of 120C to be absolutely certain, by which point, your meat will be inedible anyway.

As a butcher, I would not advise the eating of this product, especially if you were my customer. As a goon, however, I would definitely eat it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Eat the meat, you'll be fine.

Source: I eat this sort of thing all the time and nothing bad ever happens.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

tuyop posted:

Eat the meat, you'll be fine.

Source: I eat this sort of thing all the time and nothing bad ever happens.
^^ This.

Put it in the fridge tonight, take it out and put it in the crock pot tomorrow, let it crock all day. You'll be fine.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
What doesn't kill you can only make you stronger.

*it may kill you

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

As my granddad addended to what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger: What does kill you makes you dead.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

...food safety concerns...

I'm a little late to this conversation, but if you want to learn more about temperature wrt food safety, check out the Sous Vide thread.

It would probably be unwise to eat what your gf made, but by now you are either OK or having a really lovely time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm filing unemployment in california (3 weeks is long enough for my boss to actually update my territory so I can start working) and it wants my gross income from oct 2013 - dec 2013. I don't know why considering they used to go off your past 4 quarters but I don't have that information available to me. My pay register goes to Jan 2014, at best I can have a gross amount from my bank statements. What are my options here? I don't want to put the gross down then suddenly be criminally charged with fraud.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

Basically if you're making a superlative out of a collective subject, you should use a definite article to represent it.

Jeza posted:

I would say the second sentence sounds wrong in casual English. As I understand it, when you remove the definite article it is no longer a superlative. Saying something is "most beautiful", to me, is a very posh way of saying "very beautiful" as opposed to expressly stating that it is the most beautiful thing of all. "English is most difficult." is a valid sentence in my eyes, where "English is most difficult, of all subjects." is not.

The link you provided is probably strictly correct, and 'most xxx' has retained currency in language (barely), while most other example are now so rare that they sound ridiculous. If somebody said to me "This cafe is best" or "This bowl is biggest" without any prior conversation, I would assume they have learning difficulties or can't speak English properly.

However, if somebody asked me "Which bowl is the biggest?" it would be acceptable to reply with "This bowl is biggest."

Awesome, thanks!

AlbieQuirky posted:

"English is the most difficult of all subjects" is both correct and idiomatic.

"English is most difficult, of all subjects" is not correct, which is confusing, because "Of all subjects, English is most difficult" is just fine (though "Of all subjects, English is the most difficult" is more idiomatic).

This was my friend's argument as to why "English is most difficult of all subjects" might be correct. Thanks for clearing it up!

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Gothmog1065 posted:

This is as good a place as any.

I know especially with micro-USB mobile devices, all chargers aren't created equal. Is there any reason to not just buy tablet chargers for phones as well as tablets? Are there any actual phones that would be damaged by the extra wattage?

Nope. That is the maximum number of watts that the charger is capable of providing. A smaller load just means that the charger has to do less work.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I recently bought a dehumidifier and decided to taste the water it collected. It was strange and not very pleasant. Is that how distilled water is supposed to taste?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Is there a name for that position people take where they let one arm hang by their side and grab the hanging arm's elbow behind their back with the other arm? The one that people only seem to do when they feel insecure.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

I recently bought a dehumidifier and decided to taste the water it collected. It was strange and not very pleasant. Is that how distilled water is supposed to taste?

Enjoy your Legionnaire's disease, I guess.

I kid, I'm guessing it's something to do with the stuff trapped in the water vapour

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Baron Bifford posted:

That's a weird thing to do. Since a dehumidifier is not meant to be drunk from, the water is probably in contact with a lot of metal parts which will give the water a weird taste. It's also potentially dangerous, especially if the water is left to stagnate.

e: also distilled water doesn't taste unpleasant. It basically tastes like nothing at all.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 26, 2015

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

This post and your other questions in this thread make me wonder about you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Leal posted:

I'm filing unemployment in california (3 weeks is long enough for my boss to actually update my territory so I can start working) and it wants my gross income from oct 2013 - dec 2013. I don't know why considering they used to go off your past 4 quarters but I don't have that information available to me. My pay register goes to Jan 2014, at best I can have a gross amount from my bank statements. What are my options here? I don't want to put the gross down then suddenly be criminally charged with fraud.

Don't you have payslips? If not, can you ask your employer to provide that information?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Leal posted:

You probably won't be charged with fraud if it was an honest mistake. If you under represented (took less than what you were allowed) no one will give a poo poo. If you take more that what you are allowed, then you will have to pay the extra back and may be ineligible for benefits for a year or so. (Speaking from Wisconsin experience) Here's the CA Unemployment FAQ on Overpayment
http://www.edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/FAQ_for_Overpayments.htm

As Tiggum pointed out though you can ask for that from your former employer (unless the company dissolved into the ether). And do you not have roughly some idea of what you were paid for that year, even ballpark? I mean it's your gross, that's before taxes so you should be able to do some basic math and figure it out. If you made $40,000 during that year, then you made 10,000 during that quarter. Round it down a bit.

Finally, I seem to recall that there are 800 numbers and such to call for help on these forms. Here, here's the line for California Unemployment Services 1-800-815-9387. They deal with these kind of questions all day. Ironically, people with questions like yours keep them employed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

How do y'all deal with academic anxiety? I'm in a distance graduate degree program, and I've been burning myself out over my classes. I get minor heart pangs whenever I get emails from my professors or dare to check on my homework grades. Things came to a head yesterday when I had my first exam; I spent about 10 minutes kicking off the jitters before I could finally get my bearings and get cracking on the problems. This never really happened during undergrad, but somehow in the 3 years between then and now I've become terrified of screwing up. I feel like I need a way to manage my anxiety better; any tips?