Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

If you want to game the system, you can run back to a store in order to sell poo poo if your inventory is full. I wouldn't recommended because a) it's boring and kills the pace and b) makes the game easier, but building a cash reserve to splurge in medkits/ammo/tk serum can help brute force a section if it's too difficult for you. And allows you to break the game over your knee by buying upgrade materials, if that's what you want.

I'd suggest playing it on Hard, because it makes ammo more scarce and makes the game feel more survival horror than 3rd person shooter.

Yeah I was doing this, but thanks for the info on selling poo poo. This will be a live saver since I'm really bad at aiming so I run out of ammo at nearly any encounter before I found the shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Anything else except what is on the Wiki for Deus Ex Human Revolution?

I just got done with the manufacturing plant, but I guess I didn't know where the hostages were because I forgot to save them and never came across them :(

Any useless Augs? Any broken ones that are extremely good? I have been playing non-lethal stealth so far.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
The biggest thing to know is that the boss fights are complete crap and do not allow stealth approaches at all.

I forget what it's called but there's a power that basically sets off a big anti-personnel bomb. Apparently that's an awesome power to have for the bosses.

Late in the game an npc ally will be attacked by a bunch of people and want to sacrifice themselves. Apparently it is possible to save them, so give that a shot if you want.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

blackguy32 posted:

Any useless Augs? Any broken ones that are extremely good? I have been playing non-lethal stealth so far.

You need the capture augs, which let you hack higher level targets. All other augs which pertain to hacking are poop.

Other crappy augs are the aim stabilizer (this isn't a run 'n' gun shooter), the mark 'n' track one, the audio feedback thingy, and the cooldown viewer. Some people will tell you the see-through-walls aug and the enhanced radar are poop, but I'd say get one or the other.

The important thing to remember; you will be given tons of Praxis and upgrade kits, so you will be able to get *all* the good augs. (Which is one of the few things I don't like about DXHR... not much replay value, unlike the original).

Bosses are almost immune to conventional weapons. They fall to explosives, the stungun, or the Typhoon. (EDIT: don't forget to buy Typhoon ammo at LIMB).

The ending kinda sucks.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 25, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Okonner posted:

Late in the game an npc ally will be attacked by a bunch of people and want to sacrifice themselves. Apparently it is possible to save them, so give that a shot if you want.

It's even possible to save that person while still being non-lethal. It's just incredibly difficult.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gynovore posted:

the audio feedback thing

Are you talking about the dialog aug? Because that should be the first thing you buy as it opens up some exclusive dialog options. It's the only aug where you can actively miss things by not having it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

al-azad posted:

Are you talking about the dialog aug? Because that should be the first thing you buy as it opens up some exclusive dialog options. It's the only aug where you can actively miss things by not having it.

In a similar vein, it's worth unlocking all the augs that give you access to areas you wouldn't otherwise be able to get to: The wall-punching mod, the Icarus mod for long falls, the high-jumping mod, and the heavy-lifting mod can all be used to access shortcut/secret areas you'd have to skip otherwise. The one that lets you breathe poison gas and the one that makes you immune to electroshock are used for this too, but not as often IIRC.

Basically the beginning of Deus Ex:HR sees you wanting a thousand mods and having to make hard choices about what you really want right now, and by the middle/end of the game you've suddenly got all the skills you wanted and have no idea what to do with the rest of the PRAXIS points.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 26, 2015

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

blackguy32 posted:

I just got done with the manufacturing plant, but I guess I didn't know where the hostages were because I forgot to save them and never came across them :(

Augs that open up new approaches are pretty much what you want to go for towards the start

Also, Any wall that you can open up with the wall-punching aug, you can also open up with enough bullets from any gun including the regular dinky handgun. This is useful because if I recall correctly, this knocks out any guards that Jensen would have snapped the neck to when going through the wall. The aug is still useful for a first-playthrough because it will actually highlight breakable walls for you.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

al-azad posted:

No... there's a really dumb aug that lets you see how far away people can hear you. It's poop. Actually all the augs that give you visual information are poop, except for the radar upgrade and the see through walls one.

The CASIE social mod is a really good one, although at two Praxis you may not want to take it early.

There are two places where punching through a wall gives you a Praxis kit, so there's no reason at all not to take it. Yes you can blast through weakened walls, but you can't see them without the aug, so that might possibly be considered cheating depending on your POV.

One of the kits is behind a wall in the sewers in northern Detroit, the other in the sewers of Hengsha roughly under the Hive.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
The radar "upgrade" zooms out your radar and manages to make it less useful by being more jumbled.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

OneDeadman posted:

Augs that open up new approaches are pretty much what you want to go for towards the start

Wall Punch > High Jump > Super Strength > Parachute is a pretty good order to use shortcuts as you come across them. Don't buy them all right at the start of the game, but toss a kit or two at them occasionally if you aren't working towards anything else at the time.

And yeah, save before you try loving with your radar, it gets cluttered really fast.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Draile posted:

The radar "upgrade" zooms out your radar and manages to make it less useful by being more jumbled.

This probably depends on how good your resolution is, but playing it at 1600x900 that was definitely my experience, yeah. Doubly so if you also take the ones that displays cones of vision on the radar, you can't really pick them out. I preferred the un-upgraded version honestly.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
For DX:HR, if you are going for a nonlethal run (which I don't recommend for a first run), then here's some things you ought to know.

• Prologue counts.
  • Attacks through walls will always be lethal. Even if just regularly punching and there is an unconscious body sitting there, they might get killed by debris though its not always and that situation probably won't ever happen.
  • Be careful with moving bodies, any kind of trauma can accidentally kill them.
  • Pushing an enemy or knocking them out so that they fall into things like electrified water or mines or off a ledge will count against you.
  • Hacked turret kills count against you. Robot explosions may or may not count against you, depending on if its a self destruct.
  • The bosses do not count but the Missing Link boss Burke does because its not a god awful fight like the ones in the regular game. Of course this only matters if you have Directors Cut and ML integrated into your game.

It's really not that difficult, it can just be irritating because the game doesn't ever tell you when kills are credited to you.

csm141 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 26, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The rebreather mod's worthless, don't touch it. There's like all of one corridor filled with poison gas, and it can be circumvented with other more-useful augs.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You also have a relatively limited inventory. You can carry a lot but it fills up quickly because there's so much stuff. The stun gun and tranq rifle are all you need for no-kill runs. Bosses will be a little more difficult but all boss arenas contain a ton of disposable weapons and explosives.

I really like combat in HR. You don't get a lot of ammo from bodies so all out combat involves a lot of swapping out weapons, using grenades, and using the environment. There's a lot of satisfaction playing a stalker/sabotage role in combat. With that said the revolver with explosive rounds tears through everything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

You also have a relatively limited inventory. You can carry a lot but it fills up quickly because there's so much stuff. The stun gun and tranq rifle are all you need for no-kill runs. Bosses will be a little more difficult but all boss arenas contain a ton of disposable weapons and explosives.

I really like combat in HR. You don't get a lot of ammo from bodies so all out combat involves a lot of swapping out weapons, using grenades, and using the environment. There's a lot of satisfaction playing a stalker/sabotage role in combat. With that said the revolver with explosive rounds tears through everything.

Zenith Pistol, Armor Piercing + Silencer :ninja:.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The rebreather mod's worthless, don't touch it. There's like all of one corridor filled with poison gas, and it can be circumvented with other more-useful augs.

Rebreather makes gas grenades and traps ineffective against you.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

SSNeoman posted:

Rebreather makes gas grenades and traps ineffective against you.

Also, the Emp/electricity-proof upgrade makes the final boss a joke.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

blackguy32 posted:

There is the thing where if you take down a guy with a tranquilizer dart it won't count as non-lethal IF you didn't trigger a cut-scene first. And that can happen to you in the first hub.

Basically, if you are going the non-lethal route and stick with it, don't expect to get to the proper achievement for it because it is finicky as hell. I just ended up using Steam Achievement Manager to unlock it. Same goes for the achievement for reading all the PDAs, because apparently when they integrated the DLC into the Director's Cut that got messed up.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Chief Savage Man posted:

For DX:HR, if you are going for a nonlethal run (which I don't recommend for a first run), then here's some things you ought to know.

[list]
[*]Prologue counts.
[*]Attacks through walls will always be lethal. Even if just regularly punching and there is an unconscious body sitting there, they might get killed by debris though its not always and that situation probably won't ever happen.
[*]Be careful with moving bodies, any kind of trauma can accidentally kill them.
[*]Pushing an enemy or knocking them out so that they fall into things like electrified water or mines or off a ledge will count against you.
[*]Hacked turret kills count against you. Robot explosions may or may not count against you, depending on if its a self destruct.
[*]The bosses do not count but the Missing Link boss Burke does because its not a god awful fight like the ones in the regular game. Of course this only matters if you have Directors Cut and ML integrated into your game.

It's really not that difficult, it can just be irritating because the game doesn't ever tell you when kills are credited to you.

I did a non-lethal my first time through and i swear to god i would have gotten it had i known the prologue and electric water in the seweres counted against me :(

So boss fights are a-okay to just unload all that extra ammo you end up carrying around? At least not considering the spoilers and all

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I did a non-lethal my first time through and i swear to god i would have gotten it had i known the prologue and electric water in the seweres counted against me :(

So boss fights are a-okay to just unload all that extra ammo you end up carrying around? At least not considering the spoilers and all

You are forced by plot to kill the (non-DLC) story bosses, so feel free to go to town with explosives and bullets on them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Yeah, I guess I will rethink my non-lethal playthrough. I really don't care about it that much. I have the Director's cut

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

What about a Foxiest of the Hounds run? Does the prologue count for it?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I don't think there are any alarms that can be set off in the prologue, so it doesn't matter.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Only reason I asked is because people were giving conflicting accounts on other message boards. Good to know.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I did a dual nonlethal / Foxiest run on my first playthrough of the game and it was miserable. My DXHR advice: don't do that. I played through a second time guns blazing and not caring if I got caught by alarms and it was many times more fun.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
My first run was non-lethal/super stealthy until something hosed up and that's how I'd reccommend you play it the first time. Try to be sneaky, but don't freak out trying to be perfect.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

blackguy32 posted:

Xander77 posted:

* You can backtrack through any mission / hostile area. So you can stealth your way through up to (and including) the boss, get all the ghost and no-alarm experience, then go all the way back to the start to knock everyone out and loot all the stuff (the exception being Sarif's manufacturing, where you can't knock people out after the boss, but can still loot stuff and get exploration xp).

* You get "Ghost" xp if you get to your goal without any human or bot enemies being sure they saw you ("Hostile" status), any cameras going red, or any enemies seeing a body. ANY bodies spotted by the enemy that send them into "alarmed mode", including bodies the player didn't cause will void the ghost xp.

Xander77 posted:

* Enemy guards (whether conscious / alive or not) will turn off laser grid sensors as they pass through.

* Lasers and cameras can be temporarily turned off with a stun-gun zap.

* Anything that damages or destroys a camera will trigger an alarm - with the exception of an EMP blast. Anything at all that damages a laser will trigger an alarm.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Captain Novolin posted:

My first run was non-lethal/super stealthy until something hosed up and that's how I'd reccommend you play it the first time. Try to be sneaky, but don't freak out trying to be perfect.

After the prologue, I played the game fully nonlethal - for the challenge, not for the achievement - until I reached the point where

Okonner posted:

at which I went "RAAAAH EAT GRENADES AND ROCKETS, YOU BASTARDS!" :black101:

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Yes sir, listening. No sir, no touching.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I'm playing the original Dead Space blind, and I figured hard wouldn't be that bad.
Fast forward 1 hour and New Arrivals being cleared later, help

Carry a spare node around with you at all times. The node doors are ALWAYS worth it.
Suits > nodes > anything else
Don't bother upgrading O2 if you can help it. I think there's only 1 place where default can be an issue, but once you've gotten through it you'll never have trouble again the track outside leading to the rail gun

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Anything for Tales of Hearts R?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I'm playing the original Dead Space blind, and I figured hard wouldn't be that bad.
Fast forward 1 hour and New Arrivals being cleared later, help

Guns:

-Plasma cutter: It is entirely possible to beat the game only using this. For the standard slicer guys, cutting off one arm and one leg diagonally opposite on the body kills them.
-Line gun: Also a solid choice. Upgrade damage, use on crowds. The shotgun of the game.
-Rifle: Mediocre but if you've got good aim it's solid. Useful for swarm enemies.
-Ripper: Extremely ammo efficient way to disable crowds; sweeping it back and forth at leg height will stunlock a crowd and cut all of their legs off in only one or two shots. Takes a while to kill poo poo, so don't use it if you think more poo poo is going to spawn.
-Flamethrower: Worthless crap. Only really worth using on one enemy type the big dudes who turn into a bunch of body parts that all attack you when they die and even then the rifle can do the same thing.
-Force gun: Extremely useful crowd control; it doesn't do a lot of damage (although fully upgraded one shot to the torso of a slicer will gib it instantly) but it'll fling dudes all over the room and can also kill swarm enemies. Extremely useful against that one special enemy that can't be killed.
-The last gun whose name I forgot, it's basically a BFG and doesn't really care about the "blow off arms and legs" thing - one shot to any spot of most enemies will kill them. Mostly useful for bosses.

Once you get the kinesis upgrade to toss poo poo, use it liberally to save ammo. There's a shitload of canisters and crates and poo poo and in a pinch you can toss Slicer arms at thing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If you're ever looking for a catharsis run of dead space after banging your head against the wall on higher difficulties, the pulse rifle is really satisfying to use to plow throw enemies on lower difficulties. It's probably a bit piddly for high difficulty, but it is fun as hell to use on easy.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

NihilCredo posted:

After the prologue, I played the game fully nonlethal - for the challenge, not for the achievement - until I reached the point where

at which I went "RAAAAH EAT GRENADES AND ROCKETS, YOU BASTARDS!" :black101:

Quitter. :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I did it with a silenced sniper rifle and armor-piercing silenced pistol. Their attack just seemed to slowly drop off for no reason :ninja:.

President Ark posted:

Guns:

-Plasma cutter: It is entirely possible to beat the game only using this. For the standard slicer guys, cutting off one arm and one leg diagonally opposite on the body kills them.
-Line gun: Also a solid choice. Upgrade damage, use on crowds. The shotgun of the game.
-Rifle: Mediocre but if you've got good aim it's solid. Useful for swarm enemies.
-Ripper: Extremely ammo efficient way to disable crowds; sweeping it back and forth at leg height will stunlock a crowd and cut all of their legs off in only one or two shots. Takes a while to kill poo poo, so don't use it if you think more poo poo is going to spawn.
-Flamethrower: Worthless crap. Only really worth using on one enemy type the big dudes who turn into a bunch of body parts that all attack you when they die and even then the rifle can do the same thing.
-Force gun: Extremely useful crowd control; it doesn't do a lot of damage (although fully upgraded one shot to the torso of a slicer will gib it instantly) but it'll fling dudes all over the room and can also kill swarm enemies. Extremely useful against that one special enemy that can't be killed.
-The last gun whose name I forgot, it's basically a BFG and doesn't really care about the "blow off arms and legs" thing - one shot to any spot of most enemies will kill them. Mostly useful for bosses.

Once you get the kinesis upgrade to toss poo poo, use it liberally to save ammo. There's a shitload of canisters and crates and poo poo and in a pinch you can toss Slicer arms at thing.

The Assault Rifle's worth holding onto as a panic weapon. It holds a shitload of ammo once upgraded, so you can just spray-and-pray at necromorphs if you get backed into a corner. The Secondary Fire on it is pretty awful though.

The weapon Ark's forgotten the name of is the Contact Beam. It is really, really, powerful, but the charge time on it makes it only really useful for Bosses and not as a wandering-around weapon.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

On the other hand, the Contact Beam's ammo sells for about a thousand a pop, which, in the early game, can be a lifesaver.

Personally, of the later weapons, I favoured the Force Gun. It's essentially your shotgun, but with the added bonus of pushing everything in front of you away. Upgrade the damage on it (which will probably be your first priority), and it'll also start causing serious damage to additional targets it sweeps. It also works wonders on the enemies spoiled under the flamethrower, making the 'thrower even more worthless.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I did it with a silenced sniper rifle and armor-piercing silenced pistol. Their attack just seemed to slowly drop off for no reason :

My move was to ghost up and haul rear end over to stun/takedown the grunts as fast as possible. It helps to know that a single emp grenade or mine kills the walkers instantly. Took me like two tries, once I realized what the time limit is.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you're ever looking for a catharsis run of dead space after banging your head against the wall on higher difficulties, the pulse rifle is really satisfying to use to plow throw enemies on lower difficulties. It's probably a bit piddly for high difficulty, but it is fun as hell to use on easy.

The utility of the unupgraded pulse rifle (and the ripper, for that matter) is that necromorphs taking any damage, whether it's being shot full-on with the contact beam or getting nicked for a split-second with a ripper blade, will make them flinch for a bit under a second. The high rate of fire for the pulse rifle (and the ripper's high rate of... damage dealing? while a blade is out) means you can keep an entire crowd of necromorphs flinching over and over while you shoot their legs, and once their legs are gone you can just run away and take potshots at their arms at your leisure.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

anything for Red Dead Redemption that isn't on the wiki? i'm playing the GOTY edition if that changes anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

sick trigger posted:

anything for Red Dead Redemption that isn't on the wiki? i'm playing the GOTY edition if that changes anything

The biggest thing I wish I'd known before playing that game:

Soon after teaching you how to break wild horses (like, THE very next mission) the game will give you a rope. Wait for the rope to try catching and breaking a top-tier horse. It took me over an hour to trap one in a box canyon where I could manage to get onto it without using a rope. :smithicide: