Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Holy poo poo big cameo in the producer's cut in a Shauna M-T flash forward! BOBBY NEWPORRRRRT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I didn't realize that there was a producers cut of the last episode!

I still live in a world where there's more parks and recreation

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is there a list somewhere of all the episodes that have extra-long Producer's cuts? I know they've been doing it for a while - are these extended cuts available on iTunes or anywhere else?

Second this

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I don't have a definite list, but all the extended episodes are used on Netflix; if you browse through them just take note of which are more than the usual 23 minutes or so, and that's your list.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FactsAreUseless posted:

Jim O'Heir is insanely funny and I hope he gets a ton more work now.

I seem to recall him working on some goon's lovely internet series for free, which is both incredibly sweet and incredibly Jerry at the same time.

inthesto posted:

I can't be the only one who wants to see Jim O'Heir's audition for the part of Ron.

I'm more interested in Nick Offerman's audition for The Office. I can't imagine him mugging at the camera as Jim or being as out of touch as Michael Scott.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
I won't be able to access the producer's cut tonight. Can someone spoil what happened to Shauna and Jamm?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Soylentbits posted:

I won't be able to access the producer's cut tonight. Can someone spoil what happened to Shauna and Jamm?

Jamm goes an becomes a hibachi chef in Floriday. He succeeds at catching the shrimp in the pocket. ...that's about it!

Shauna gets left at the altar, and while sobbing on a park bench Bobby Newport walks up and offers her gum to cheer her up (his company makes it!)... they get married a couple hours later.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Loved the finale, ecstatic to hear there is more P&R to be had in these producer's cuts. In honour of the show ending I am watching possibly the best episode of the series, Sister City.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Corte posted:

In honour of the show ending I am watching possibly the best episode of the series, Sister City.

Believing 'Sister City' to be the best episode, believe it or not, jail.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That was LIT'RALLY a perfect ending. Bye, show. :\

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Merauder posted:

I don't have a definite list, but all the extended episodes are used on Netflix; if you browse through them just take note of which are more than the usual 23 minutes or so, and that's your list.

The only episodes that are longer than 21 minutes on Netflix are The End of the World (27 minutes) and the Unity Concert episode, season 6 finale which is actually just a double episode. I thought there was more, but I just went and checked each one.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Parks_and_Recreation_episodes, extended episodes are:

S01E06 - Rock Show
S03E07 - Harvest Festival
S03E11 - Jerry's Painting
S03E13 - The Fight
S03E15 - Li'l Sebastian
S04E06 - End of the World
S04E20-22 - The Debate; Bus Tour; Win, Lose, or Draw

But that doesn't list the finale, so not sure if it can be trusted.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Does the Producer's Cut give any clues as to whether Leslie or Ben is President? I mean one assumes it's Leslie.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
^^^ still ambiguous.

Merauder posted:

Jamm goes an becomes a hibachi chef in Floriday. He succeeds at catching the shrimp in the pocket. ...that's about it!

Also, Jamm gives Leslie a painting -

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Merauder posted:

Shauna gets left at the altar, and while sobbing on a park bench Bobby Newport walks up and offers her gum to cheer her up (his company makes it!)... they get married a couple hours later.

Good for them. Cutting those out was probably the correct decision though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Watching the Producrs cut now. I really want a Shawna Malway Tweep spinoff. First couple season about her trainwreck of a life, last couple seasons happily married with Bobby Newport.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was happily surprised when Bobby Newport showed up in the Johnny Karate episode, I can't comprehend why they cut his segment instead of Craig's. I mean I liked Craig's but come on, nobody cares about Craig.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

precision posted:

I was happily surprised when Bobby Newport showed up in the Johnny Karate episode, I can't comprehend why they cut his segment instead of Craig's. I mean I liked Craig's but come on, nobody cares about Craig.

Well, Typhoon, obviously.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

precision posted:

Does the Producer's Cut give any clues as to whether Leslie or Ben is President? I mean one assumes it's Leslie.
It's purposely ambiguous, said Mike Schur in an interview that someone linked to earlier in the thread. Go back two or three pages, I think? But yeah, they wanted to keep an air of mystery for fans to make up their own minds over Ben and Leslie's future, which is pretty neat imo

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bubblelubble posted:

It's purposely ambiguous, said Mike Schur in an interview that someone linked to earlier in the thread. Go back two or three pages, I think? But yeah, they wanted to keep an air of mystery for fans to make up their own minds over Ben and Leslie's future, which is pretty neat imo

That was a mistake, people can't stand ambiguity. (I'm joking. I loved it. But it's going to totally be an Inception thing where people are arguing for years over something that really doesn't matter)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Ok, so I enjoyed the finale, and I'm glad all the characters we've grown attached to get happy endings, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt like they were watching P&R fan fiction, am I? It just felt, I dunno, just a little too perfect--the episode was a collection of scenes about how LITrally every character on the show ends up accomplishing their dreams and having a wonderful life.

I don't know how they would have fit, say, Tom getting killed in a traffic accident into the optimistic mood of the show, but I thought it was just a little too indulgent to actually timeskip twenty years or more to show how everyone got everything they ever wanted. I think I would have preferred most of the episode to stay in the 2017 "present", and leave more outcomes unanswered. Tom beginning his restaurant expansion, for example, would have been a good stopping point, and leaves it a bit up in the air as to whether he'll continue his success streak. Likewise, we didn't need a real closer for Ron, either--he's always been a rock, and he seemed like he was in a good place running his building company. I appreciated the glimpses into Leslie and Ben's future (and Gerry!), but I think a lot of the others felt like barely-disguised fan service.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The finale really ruined the series' tone as a grounded dramedy about a woman struggling with manic depression.

fingerpaint
Jan 9, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

The finale really ruined the series' tone as a grounded dramedy about a woman struggling with manic depression.

To be fair, Garry did die in it, which some less cheerful people were predicting earlier on.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I think my favorite part of Ron's FF was him not tearing up the photo of his kids after he showed Leslie. That was the biggest sign that he's moved on from his past "off-the-grid" mentality and settled into a comfortable new life that he completely enjoys and knows his kids aren't going to grow up to be carbon copies of him and couldn't be happier.

Although in retrospect having physical copies of photos in the post-Gryzzl world is probably a huge Ron move.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hah, I did say I was GLAD everyone got happy endings, I just thought the flashforwards were a bit much. Donna, for instance, had a perfectly good ending already--she got over her issues with commitment, married Key&Peele, and was moving to Seattle to start their life together. I didn't need to see that, ten years later, she was making gobs of money in real estate and went on amazing adventures every year. That part could have easily been left to the imagination.

By the way, is it really true that all park rangers really do is walk around the park telling people not to feed the deer? I always thought there was more to it than that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

thexerox123 posted:

Same here, but I picture that it's both Jean Ralphio and Mona Lisa, and they're watching from the rafters Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn style.

Brawnfire posted:

They're talking about everyone and everything so loudly that everyone knows they're up there, but Doc Saperstein paid them all off to say nice things about his kids so they won't feel bad about themselves.

Edit: I could somehow see New Girl doing that.

I finally got to watch the episode and we called it!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So has anyone read Nick Offerman's book? Is it like a Nick Offerman autobiography or a "Ron Swanson" book?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

whatever7 posted:

So has anyone read Nick Offerman's book? Is it like a Nick Offerman autobiography or a "Ron Swanson" book?

It's a Nick Offerman book. They sprinkled a lot of Offerman into Ron on the show, but there are a few key differences between the two that's readily apparent. Watching his Netflix special will give you a rather strong indication.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Phenotype posted:

I don't know how they would have fit, say, Tom getting killed in a traffic accident into the optimistic mood of the show, but I thought it was just a little too indulgent to actually timeskip twenty years or more to show how everyone got everything they ever wanted

It was a pretty harry-pottery ending, but I didn't feel malice out of boredom for any of the characters like I did at the end of the Office, which I wanted to end like a british sitcom and have a bunch of people die. I also really wanted Jim and Pam to lose the baby in a car crash or something, and go through a bitter, drawn out divorce fueled by Jim's resentment and Pam's infidelity with her new boyfriend the sound guy. I guess that makes me a sick bastard but at least P&R shook things up, the office just got more and more stagnant

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I give it about two more days before someone has put out a terrible chronological edit of the finale.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Phenotype posted:

By the way, is it really true that all park rangers really do is walk around the park telling people not to feed the deer? I always thought there was more to it than that.

A lot of it is just maintenance. Walking trails to make sure they remain clear, mowing around the developed areas, cleaning buildings, repairing stuff, etc. So yeah, sometimes a ranger's job is to just wander through the woods ensuring that it is preserved, but the job also involves shoveling poo poo out from under composting toilets and picking up after the drunken college kids that trashed a cabin the previous weekend.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Phenotype posted:

Ok, so I enjoyed the finale, and I'm glad all the characters we've grown attached to get happy endings, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt like they were watching P&R fan fiction, am I? It just felt, I dunno, just a little too perfect--the episode was a collection of scenes about how LITrally every character on the show ends up accomplishing their dreams and having a wonderful life.

I don't know how they would have fit, say, Tom getting killed in a traffic accident into the optimistic mood of the show, but I thought it was just a little too indulgent to actually timeskip twenty years or more to show how everyone got everything they ever wanted. I think I would have preferred most of the episode to stay in the 2017 "present", and leave more outcomes unanswered. Tom beginning his restaurant expansion, for example, would have been a good stopping point, and leaves it a bit up in the air as to whether he'll continue his success streak. Likewise, we didn't need a real closer for Ron, either--he's always been a rock, and he seemed like he was in a good place running his building company. I appreciated the glimpses into Leslie and Ben's future (and Gerry!), but I think a lot of the others felt like barely-disguised fan service.

Shut up, Kyle.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Phenotype posted:

Yep. And not just the finale, the whole final season. Don't get me wrong, it was a great valediction and I'm gratified that we got to watch it. But it wasn't Parks & Rec, it was Parks & Rec fanfiction.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I think by definition fan-fiction cannot be written by the original writers

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Captain von Trapp posted:

Yep. And not just the finale, the whole final season. Don't get me wrong, it was a great valediction and I'm gratified that we got to watch it. But it wasn't Parks & Rec, it was Parks & Rec fanfiction.

I'm pretty sure it was actually Parks & Rec no matter how you personally felt about it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

I'm pretty sure it was actually Parks & Rec no matter how you personally felt about it.

yeah, maybe the tone was a bit different but, uh, it's denouement which isn't going to have the same vivacious open-endedness to it. A lot of Parks and Rec's charm is seeing where situations take the characters, so collapsing the waveform is going to feel... unsatisfying to people who have imagined possibilities for the characters which differ from the writers'.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Quandary posted:

I think by definition fan-fiction cannot be written by the original writers

and yet, here we are.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

If you people thought this show wasn't going to get a sappy happy ending for everyone I do not know what you have been watching.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's weird that they bothered making who was President ambiguous. It never seemed like that was something Ben particularly wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pick posted:

It's weird that they bothered making who was President ambiguous. It never seemed like that was something Ben particularly wanted.

No, but apparently part of Ben's character is that opportunities plop down on his lap without his even trying, so who knows?

• Locked thread