Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Demonachizer posted:

I was looking at the Elitebooks. I will try to find somewhere that I can screw around with one. The Dells seem very toughbookesque. I liked the T43/T60 because they are rugged as hell but don't look like a suitcase. I have two convertible tablets (x201t and x230t) that have had to go in for repairs 5 times between them and never had to get a T43 or T60 sent in for anything (not counting hard drive replacements for either set).

Just do what everyone else does. Order it, play with it, and then send it back if it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The keyboards aren't very good on modern Elitebooks so if you didn't like the X1c you are really unlikely to be okay with that.

Aside from that they're pretty good, although I'd tend to look at the normal (non Folio) models.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Goddammit. I was going to order that T450s, but then some idiots hacked the DNS record for the Lenovo website, and it's still down. I'll be sad if the coupons expire before it comes back up again.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, this could actually be a positive thing for Lenovo. They're not knowingly denying the malware potential of superfish, they're just really bad at security in general.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

So my T440 came with UPS today, conveniently when the entirety of northern Arizona was cut off from the Internet due to some folks screwing with a fibre optics cable.

I'm incredibly impressed by it so far, even with the track pad. Yes, read that again and then try to envision how lovely of a trackpad I had in my previous, 8 year old, laptop.
Installed the newest drivers, cloned the OS to my Evo 850 250GB, installed the SSD, booted it up, everything goes smoothly.

The one thing bothering the everloving gently caress out of me is that upon booting the thing up, there are 87 processes running...
I knew there was gonna be a bunch of bloatware preinstalled, but god-drat.

So my questions now would be:

1. Without any recovery CD / Windows CD included in the product, how would I go about doing a clean Windows 8 installation? I have a 4 GB Stick here that I used to install windows 7 with, but googling clean install yields a whole bunch of info regarding resets to factory-standards and such.

2. The hardware-review site I checked for detailed specs of the T440 listed it as having an internal battery, but, upon opening...there's just a plastic placeholder?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So my T440 came with UPS today, conveniently when the entirety of northern Arizona was cut off from the Internet due to some folks screwing with a fibre optics cable.

I'm incredibly impressed by it so far, even with the track pad. Yes, read that again and then try to envision how lovely of a trackpad I had in my previous, 8 year old, laptop.
Installed the newest drivers, cloned the OS to my Evo 850 250GB, installed the SSD, booted it up, everything goes smoothly.

The one thing bothering the everloving gently caress out of me is that upon booting the thing up, there are 87 processes running...

1. Without any recovery CD / Windows CD included in the product, how would I go about doing a clean Windows 8 installation? I have a 4 GB Stick here that I used to install windows 7 with, but googling clean install yields a whole bunch of info regarding resets to factory-standards and such.

2. The hardware-review site I checked for detailed specs of the T440 listed it as having an internal battery, but, upon opening...there's just a plastic placeholder?

I don't have much experience with doing clean installs of Win8, but for Win7 you just had to stick it on the root partition of the drive. Often there will be another small partition with the recovery disk on. You can leave that if you ever want to do a complete factory reset/recovery. You should be able to use the Windows product code on the sticker on your laptop somewhere to activate the new copy of Windows. You also had to find an installation disk image that matched the exact product type (like, the subtype of Win7 Professional, not just Win7 Professional itself). I found windows install disk images just by Googling -- they're not :filez:, since you still need a product code to activate it, but I think Microsoft tries not to distribute them to anyone except OEMs.

As for the battery, as far as I can tell Lenovo sells quite a lot of different configurations of the same model of Thinkpad, so what you get will quite likely differ from what was reviewed (in your case, lacking an internal battery). You should still be able to purchase an internal battery from Lenovo or elsewhere and install it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've had the worst experience with the AC 7260 and they pretty much all went away when I bought a new router. Everything was 100% pointing towards the AC 7260 or the driver being at fault since no other device had any problems with the router. My dad went through exactly the same thing when my mom bought her laptop with that chip.

The thing is good now it works, but goddamn can it be picky about what it will reliably connect to.

With the new router everything is going swimmingly and I can see where the people are coming from recommending it.

Yeah, the router has to be involved somehow, because it disconnects - or, rather, goes to 'limited connectivity' - and then it won't reconnect until the router has been reset. But everything else on my network continues to work just as fine as it has the past few years.

Although the other day I actually discovered that if I disconnect, and then ipconfig /flushdns /release /renew then I don't have to reset the router, which is convenient for everyone else in the house.

It's a moody little poo poo.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, the router has to be involved somehow, because it disconnects - or, rather, goes to 'limited connectivity' - and then it won't reconnect until the router has been reset. But everything else on my network continues to work just as fine as it has the past few years.

Although the other day I actually discovered that if I disconnect, and then ipconfig /flushdns /release /renew then I don't have to reset the router, which is convenient for everyone else in the house.
That's exactly the symptoms I had. Look into an new router, seriously. Life is better not having to put up with that.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm incredibly impressed by it so far, even with the track pad.
Same. That type of trackpad works fine for me and every other trackpad I encounter is somehow shittier. I get the complaints about the trackpoint buttons missing; that's just poo poo. The rest you can work with perfectly with the slightest adjustment in habits. Which admittedly might be a problem if you're fighting years of muscle memory from older Thinkpads or something.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

In theory, all you have to do is create bootable recovery media from that link, boot from it to start the install and you're golden. In practice, check for a sticker with the Windows key below the battery. If it's not there, it's probably embedded in the bios and you can retrieve it using Belarc Adviser. You probably won't need to enter it, but better safe than sorry.

I'm not sure if 4GB will be enough. It might, but I don't know.

A lot of how-tos about installing Windows 8.1 are outdated and needlessly complicated since the new recovery media allows you to install straight to 8.1 with an 8 key, an embedded oem key and I think even an upgrade key. This wasn't the case until a couple of months ago.

All I had to install was all Intel drivers from their website, the latest beta drivers for the dGPU from their website and the trackpad drivers from wherever the most recent ones are (that was the Lenovo website for me). Everything else worked as it should out of the box. Oh, there was this thing from Lenovo that detects whether the laptop was in free fall and parks the hard drive heads. I installed that as well. Not sure if that was necessary. You might consider the battery management stuff if you're worried about the battery's longevity and you're going to leave the laptop plugged in 99% of the time.

Getting rid of the crapware is good, but after the clean install, don't worry to much about the exact number of processes running unless you see a serious performance impact. There's a lot of tweaking from the XP era that I had to let go. If it works fine, leave it alone is how Windows works these days.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Even with a clean windows install you should end up with at easily 50 processes, and that's not even an exact guess.

Things have changed in the years since whatever OS you're running on the other laptop - windows runs more stuff and is less opaque about it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
My Dell Precision at work is running 151 processes. It isn't a big deal anymore.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Has anyone put an X1 Carbon screen in a T430? What LCD cable are you using?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Flipperwaldt posted:

You might consider the battery management stuff if you're worried about the battery's longevity and you're going to leave the laptop plugged in 99% of the time.
I think it's also the Lenovo power management stuff that includes the "run the fan fast for a bit to blow dust out" button, which is a great idea for a button.
(Of course, now I can't find that button because it's somewhere stupid.)

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 26, 2015

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

roomforthetuna posted:

I think it's also the Lenovo power management stuff that includes the "run the fan fast for a bit to blow dust out" button, which is a great idea for a button.
(Of course, now I can't find that button because it's somewhere stupid.)
Aha, Lenovo Settings, in a side pop-out menu triggered by one of those three bars in a circle buttons, obviously. Thank goodness for mobile UI design making desktop OSes equally inane!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

Looks like since i have Windows 8 Pro installed, I can upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro for free, so I'm currently creating a bootable USB stick for Windows 8.1 pro with the Windows Media Creation Tool thing.
Googling around whether I need to upgrade to 8.1 on the Laptop first (because of license stuff?) or not before flattening it all and doing a clean install, but since I have enough time today, I don't really mind doing it anyway.

Not entirely sure I want to spend 70+ bucks just for an internal battery, but on the other hand, the shape and size of the T440 without the external battery is absolutely mind-blowing for me coming from Rommel's Reichs-PDA after 8 years and it would be kinda sexy to have the independence of just carrying around the Laptop like that, possibly with the external battery seperate in my book back as a backup.

Speaking of batteries these days, is it still a bad idea to have the fully charged battery attached when the Laptop is just sitting on my desk while I'm working, hooked up to the charger?
Support for my old laptop told me to detach the battery when fully charged because regardless of charging state, power would always "go through" the battery when hooked up to the charger and thus wear it down over time.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
After about a year of using my T440s with it plugged in about 70% of the time, both the internal and external battery were at about 25% wear (as in 75% of their original capacity). I dunno if that's considered good or bad, but my personal opinion is that's pretty good for a year of heavy use.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Anyone used the broadwell Thinkpad Yoga 12? How was the stylus?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apple announced a March 9 event. Likely iWatch announcement, probable Macbook announcement (god that would be nice) with the Broadwell update and Retina screens on the Air model, probably 12" screen.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

I may also be interested in this device. If anyone has used this, what is their general impression of the build quality?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Googling around whether I need to upgrade to 8.1 on the Laptop first (because of license stuff?) or not before flattening it all and doing a clean install, but since I have enough time today, I don't really mind doing it anyway.
No. You can install to a completely empty disk if you want. What you're doing is not as much an upgrade as it it an OS install.

Batteries degrade over time if they are hot, but that's about it. If you do a lot of intensive gaming heating up the laptop and it spends 99% of the time on a desk, disconnecting it might spare it a bit, if you think it's worth the hassle.

Heat is bad, deep unloading is bad too. But your software settings shouldn't allow you to do that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chas McGill posted:

I have the Haswell one. I... honestly, I have no experience with styluses, hard to say. Seems fine to me? The stylus itself is a bit small and only has one button, I got a larger Fujitsu one that's more comfortable to use that I pull out if I want.

Sir Pukesalot posted:

I may also be interested in this device. If anyone has used this, what is their general impression of the build quality?

I could use this laptop as a baseball bat and it wouldn't even notice. It does have the famously bad lenovo trackpad, though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 26, 2015

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is there anything in particular I should be looking for when comparing IPS displays on laptops? Resolution, build quality, etc?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

In person or on the internet? I'd think viewing angle and brightness, although I've never had one so I don't know for sure.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for when comparing IPS displays on laptops? Resolution, build quality, etc?

If you can find a decent review of the machine in question (notebookcheck.net is good for this), you'll probably want to pay attention to issues like backlight bleed and outdoor visibility (really dependent on if it's a glossy or matte display). I don't think response time is a huge issue for IPS displays anymore. They should all have vastly better viewing angles than a TN panel. AU Optronics, LG, and Samsung panels seem to be pretty popular/rated good.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 27, 2015

Lando2
Jan 16, 2010

Turns out just hunks
So I work in the oil fields, and I am in need of something to pass the hours I sit in camp or my hotel (or sometimes worksite) while I am away from home for weeks at a time. I can't lug my desktop with me because of the size and need for keyboards. I don't exactly have money to burn just yet so I am looking to stay under $1200 CDN.

My initial idea was to grab a Lenovo Y50 with the 4GB 860M for about $1000 CDN but I heard bad things about the screen. I'm okay with replacing it and there are lots of tuts around but I guess I'm wondering if there are any other laptops like this one? I've seen MSI and Gigabyte offerings but they are a little steep on the price.

I also heard that Lenovo may be coming out with some new models in March with an updated video card? Something about a 960M but it's very similar to the 860M I guess, not really sure.

I'm over thinking this whole purchase and have been putting it off for a couple weeks now. I have a huge library of steam games (A decent amount are recent AAA titles) but the more I think it over the more I'm inclined to grab an XPS 13 and just be done with trying to play everything at max settings and stick to Dota 2 and the less graphically demanding games while having an all purpose laptop with good battery life even though 90% of the time it would be plugged in anyway. I found a couple cheap XPS13's on craigslist/kijiji that I am going to look at with cash just in case it's perfect.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Lando2 posted:

So I work in the oil fields, and I am in need of something to pass the hours I sit in camp or my hotel (or sometimes worksite) while I am away from home for weeks at a time. I can't lug my desktop with me because of the size and need for keyboards. I don't exactly have money to burn just yet so I am looking to stay under $1200 CDN.

My initial idea was to grab a Lenovo Y50 with the 4GB 860M for about $1000 CDN but I heard bad things about the screen. I'm okay with replacing it and there are lots of tuts around but I guess I'm wondering if there are any other laptops like this one? I've seen MSI and Gigabyte offerings but they are a little steep on the price.

I have no problem with my Y50's screen. It seems good, but not perfect. The Y50 runs almost everything on high/max.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

MikeJF posted:

I have the Haswell one. I... honestly, I have no experience with styluses, hard to say. Seems fine to me? The stylus itself is a bit small and only has one button, I got a larger Fujitsu one that's more comfortable to use that I pull out if I want.

How is the lag between putting your pen down and drawing when using the Lenovo stylus? Is it noticeable? Is there noticeable error in the position of your pen tip and where you draw on the screen? Does your stylus need to be battery powered? How is the palm rejection when using the pen? Is it good?

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a T450S as a light programming/research tool (with occasional casual gaming like Hotline Miami on the side). Any thoughts on this configuration?
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-5300U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 2.90GHz)
  • Operating System: Windows 8.1 64
  • Display: 14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) with WWAN
  • Camera: 720p HD Camera
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5500
  • Memory: 4 GB DDR3L - SDRAM 1600MHz Base
  • Hard Drive: 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm, 2.5"
  • Wireless: Intel 7265 AC/B/G/N Dual Band Wireless + Bluetooth Version 4.0
Out the door price is $1,011.12, plus I plan on adding an 8GB DDR3L stick from Kingston and replacing the HDD with a 256GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD which adds another $200.

Yay? Nay? Should I go up another $200 for the i7 or is that not really worth it at this point? Same with the extra $50 for Win 8.1 Pro.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

SporkOfTruth posted:

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a T450S as a light programming/research tool (with occasional casual gaming like Hotline Miami on the side). Any thoughts on this configuration?
Out the door price is $1,011.12, plus I plan on adding an 8GB DDR3L stick from Kingston and replacing the HDD with a 256GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD which adds another $200.

Yay? Nay? Should I go up another $200 for the i7 or is that not really worth it at this point? Same with the extra $50 for Win 8.1 Pro.

I dont see how you can go wrong there. Enjoy the awesome keyboard.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

SporkOfTruth posted:

This is pretty similar to what I'm looking at, and was going to pull the trigger on before hackers took down the Lenovo website.

For the i7, will you be using this for the kind of heavy computation that requires four cores?

I'm probably going to get the Win8 Pro, but only for the Windows 7 downgrade rights.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This is pretty similar to what I'm looking at, and was going to pull the trigger on before hackers took down the Lenovo website.

For the i7, will you be using this for the kind of heavy computation that requires four cores?

I'm probably going to get the Win8 Pro, but only for the Windows 7 downgrade rights.

Just get startisback for 3 dollars instead. Unless you're using legacy applications there's no reason to use 7 instead of 8.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Just get startisback for 3 dollars instead. Unless you're using legacy applications there's no reason to use 7 instead of 8.

And honestly, if you live without the start menu for a few day you don't miss it.You just hit the windows key and type the first few letters of your app and you're in. It works a lot like that Launchy app.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Unless you have money to burn or are planning to do some serious CPU based work, there's no need to upgrade to the i7. The i5 is still quite powerful and capable of handling a lot of poo poo that you throw at it. It really depends on your planned uses for the system.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

I seriously don't want to go through the pain involved in hacking Win8 into something that doesn't look like blocky technicolor vomit from the late 1980s. I have a visceral reaction to the UI design choices, and haven't seen any evidence that these can be fixed. For now, a Win7 downgrade is the viable solution for me (though I plan on doing most of my work in Ubuntu anyway.)

Note: this is pure personal preference, and I don't want to derail this thread into some stupid YOSPOS argument.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

I seriously don't want to go through the pain involved in hacking Win8 into something that doesn't look like blocky technicolor vomit from the late 1980s. I have a visceral reaction to the UI design choices, and haven't seen any evidence that these can be fixed. For now, a Win7 downgrade is the viable solution for me (though I plan on doing most of my work in Ubuntu anyway.)

Note: this is pure personal preference, and I don't want to derail this thread into some stupid YOSPOS argument.

With a start menu replacer there's literally no difference between the UIs of Windows 7 and Windows 8. It's your preference so fair enough, but for lurkers and anyone else, there's no pain involved. It involves downloading a single program. You double click the EXE and you're set. It's really that simple. There are a significant number of under the hood improvements in 8 that increase performance and security.

If you do use legacy applications that don't work on Windows 8 then obviously that's a different story and personal preference is absolutely the most important thing here. It's your money, your choices. I'm just letting you know that there are other options you may not have considered, and that Win 8 isn't as bad as you might think it to be.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

While in general I agree it is better to just stick with 8.1 none of this:

The Iron Rose posted:

With a start menu replacer there's literally no difference between the UIs of Windows 7 and Windows 8. I ... There are a significant number of under the hood improvements in 8 that increase performance and security.

is really true

The UI is still different in some infuriating ways (like configuring a WiFi network), and those performance and security benefits haven't actually eventuated.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Computationally, well...maybe. I'm probably not going to use the laptop for super huge number crunching Python/R/MATLAB jobs, etc. unless it's absolutely necessary (read: no access to my computing clusters for work or my workstation at home), but I do want to trial a whole bunch of algorithms on small datasets and do some development work.

That's a good point about the Win 8 Pro getting downgrade rights, so I'll modify my order to that. I've gotten a hold of a Lenovo sales rep who's going to process the order; their shopping cart services don't appear to work right now.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

SporkOfTruth posted:

Computationally, well...maybe. I'm probably not going to use the laptop for super huge number crunching Python/R/MATLAB jobs, etc. unless it's absolutely necessary (read: no access to my computing clusters for work or my workstation at home), but I do want to trial a whole bunch of algorithms on small datasets and do some development work.

That's a good point about the Win 8 Pro getting downgrade rights, so I'll modify my order to that. I've gotten a hold of a Lenovo sales rep who's going to process the order; their shopping cart services don't appear to work right now.

The i7s available in a T450s are ULV dual cores anyway so the differences are 1MB more cache and a bit more clock speed. You don't get any more cores over an i5.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Is this a pretty good deal on a Y50? And it actually has an IPS display right? Just wanna make sure thats not a typo and the Y50 does have an IPS option because I can't find mention of it elsewhere.

sexy tiger boobs fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 28, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

dissss posted:

While in general I agree it is better to just stick with 8.1 none of this:

is really true

The UI is still different in some infuriating ways (like configuring a WiFi network), and those performance and security benefits haven't actually eventuated.

This being the laptop thread, 8.1 is actually legitimately much better in many ways on things that matter for laptops like power usage and sleep/hibernate/resume.Stop being a luddite and just don't use the start menu/screen. Pin programs to taskbar/use win+x/winkey + type anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I just flattened the SSD on my new T440 again and did a clean install of 8.1 Pro, everything running smoothly so far.
Is there a one-stop-shop type of deal for a driver&software package from Lenovo, possibly with options to not install stuff I don't need?

Googling yielded this SCCM package, which looks like literally every single driver in one package, but this is the first time I've heard about Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager, so I'm not entirely sure this is what I'm looking for.

/edit:
Goddamnit, they just had to release a remastered version of Homeworld now that I have a T440 that won't be able to run it. :smith:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 28, 2015