Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ToastyPotato posted:

On your second point about setting stuff up, 100% agree. The berserker staff had no real purpose and it only appeared again for like one scene toward the end of the season. I highly doubt the writers wrote an entire episode around it just so they could use it during a fight scene later in the season. Because that is what setting up actually means. You plant something earlier in a story knowing that there will be a pay off for it later. The staff being used later on was just a callback, which is not the same thing as a pay off.

The real staff payoff was the fact that it was the Catalyst to Ward and May's totally platonic relationship.

The staff was used as a MacGuffin for Ward to show vulnerability and gain the trust of May, as he was able to use that as an excuse to get close to her, as shown when he had a few drinks with her and talked out his problems after that terrible event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
That episode also set up his messed-up childhood and in hindsight it should have been a big red flag that he wasn't entirely on the side of sanity.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If you want a show that lays in tons of stuff, check out Fringe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

If you want a show that lays in tons of stuff, check out Fringe.

Yeah, Fringe had a season of monster-of-the-week that's all arc material in retrospect.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ensign_Ricky posted:

BLASPHEMY!!!

I know it's a typo, but...

Jervis is Jarvis on my side of the world.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
That scene with Howard going through the lab reorganizing stuff felt like he was very intentionally channeling Robert Downey Jr's tendency to do the same kind of thing as Tony Stark. I thought that was a great little touch. Like Father, like Son.

It just occurred to me that we've had two Peggy Carter adventures in the MCU so far, and the climax of both was Peggy on the radio, trying to talk down a friend who was flying a plane full of USA-bound superweapons.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

THANKS PEGGY Howard promised me a cure for cancer and an instant abs pill from that blood and now all we have are superfish.

Well the cure for cancer would just end up being the Venom suit.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its weird to me that so many friends of mine have been saying "Agent Carter is so great because its not about who Peggy should marry."

But Agent Carter is a love story, just a very unconventional one. This finale really hit that point hard, in a good way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Catching my way through the series. Does Fitz ever stop being so bitchy and passive-aggressive?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

MikeJF posted:

Catching my way through the series. Does Fitz ever stop being so bitchy and passive-aggressive?

His character certainly changes a lot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

He's Scottish, what are you expecting?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Season 2 Fitz is so much more interesting than Season 1.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Other reactions; everyone keeps wonking on about how much they all care about Skye and I think I'm meant to be reading romantic tension between her and Ward but every time people go nuts over her getting threatened it just feels as if the team's getting angry because someone hurt the brain-damaged cat they keep around as a derpy mascot and have all gotten fond of.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

MikeJF posted:

Other reactions; everyone keeps wonking on about how much they all care about Skye and I think I'm meant to be reading romantic tension between her and Ward but every time people go nuts over her getting threatened it just feels as if the team's getting angry because someone hurt the brain-damaged cat they keep around as a derpy mascot and have all gotten fond of.

Her romantic tension with Ward is only part of the character, but by the time they start making out more, Ward will be fleshed out much better and you'll definitely see why she'd want to kiss someone like him. :3:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MikeJF posted:

I know it starts slow but the Skye/Ward romance ends up being the best part of the show

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Dexo posted:

The real staff payoff was the fact that it was the Catalyst to Ward and May's totally platonic relationship.

The staff was used as a MacGuffin for Ward to show vulnerability and gain the trust of May, as he was able to use that as an excuse to get close to her, as shown when he had a few drinks with her and talked out his problems after that terrible event.
This is true, actually. And to be clear, given how the show is now I definitely don't regret watching the earlier episodes no matter how lackluster some of them may have been, because having gone through the show at its worst gives a lot of context for how good the show is now.

It's just that one of my biggest peeves is the whole "Oh my gosh...looking back, it seems like the writers planned this all along!!!1" reaction that nerds have whenever an ongoing story displays any kind of continuity whatsoever.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

Its weird to me that so many friends of mine have been saying "Agent Carter is so great because its not about who Peggy should marry."

But Agent Carter is a love story, just a very unconventional one. This finale really hit that point hard, in a good way.

I dunno, Carter getting over her feelings for some dude who died a few years ago, a dude she never even got to second base with, doesn't make it a love story.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Mymla posted:

I dunno, Carter getting over her feelings for some dude who died a few years ago, a dude she never even got to second base with, doesn't make it a love story.

Captain America is way too milquetoast to consider sex before marriage in the 40s.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rarity posted:

I know it starts slow but the Skye/Ward romance ends up being the best part of the show

You dick...

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Mymla posted:

It was the end of their lovestory, I guess? I mean they worked together closely in dangerous situations for a decent amount of time (off screen) in the first Cap movie, it's just that that movie was a mess especially in terms of editing and pacing and instead of time being spent on developing characters and relationships we get 10 minutes of exposition we've already heard set to the soundtrack of Tommy Lee Jones loudly chewing steak.

Their relationship was more implied than shown and I think the ending of her saying goodbye to a vial of blood would feel more, idk, earned I guess? if Cap1 had been a better movie with more fleshed out character interactions.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Narcissus1916 posted:

It's a love story but it doesn't have that "will they/won't they" and other dumb stereotypical poo poo that 99% of other tv romances amount to. I've had friends say the same thing that yours said. It's actually pretty unique as far as TV romances go. Same with Skye/Ward.*

*I know I'm on record as being a not-very-big fan of SHIELD but I started watching season 2 again after Carter ended. I like it a lot more if I just pretend season 1 never existed. I just need a Carter fix and I don't know what to dooo :(

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 26, 2015

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:siren: SPOILERS ahead for people like MikeJF, who are just starting/catching up on the show (and those who don't want ANY spoilers AT ALL for what's coming up) :siren:

Chloe Bennet posted this on Instagram earlier:

quote:

This is dope. Done by Gabriele Dell'Otto! Who happens to be the co creator of "Daisy Johnson". My inner fan girl is making GBS threads herself.

I think this is our first clear look at Raina. Let the speculation begin!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, there gets to be a point where it doesn't seem like Fitz and Simmons share a brain and personality.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Kheldarn posted:

I wonder how Raina is going to handle that. I imagine she goes deep into full-on villain mode.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Hopefully her powers are to turn into an actual character with any kind of depth whatsoever instead of just being obnoxiously smug all the time.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

VDay posted:

Hopefully her powers are to turn into an actual character with any kind of depth whatsoever instead of just being obnoxiously smug all the time.

I hope her power is to learn to finish off your enemies with a headshot.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

A true superpower, in all comic narratives. The number of times on this season of Arrow alone that a character points a gun at someone's face and chooses instead to monologue ineffectually has become ridiculous.

Skye was a superhero before her terrigenesis, just for getting a shot and taking it. Double-tapping an enemy in the head would be expecting way too much.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

:siren: SPOILERS ahead for people like MikeJF, who are just starting/catching up on the show (and those who don't want ANY spoilers AT ALL for what's coming up) :siren:

Chloe Bennet posted this on Instagram earlier:

I think she's clearly the Raina from the comic book (where she is not an Inhuman but then again neither was Daisy).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Marvel please buy the rights to John Wick.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 27, 2015

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

The MSJ posted:

Marvel please buy the rights to John Wick.

Honestly, when I've watched John Wick I just pretended it was a Punisher movie.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Mymla posted:

No way did Steve not motorboat those. :911:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He was a virtuous catholic in the 40s, he probably still cries when he masturbates.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

MikeJF posted:

He was a virtuous catholic in the 40s, he probably still cries when he masturbates.

Hell I am a lapsed Catholic now and I still do.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

He is also apparently pretty bad at kissing according to Black Widow.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

MikeJF posted:

who doesn't :confused:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jscolon2.0 posted:

No way did Peggy not motorboat THESE:

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.

old dog child posted:

He is also apparently pretty bad at kissing according to Black Widow.

The problem with waiting for "the right partner" is that you'll be really bad at all that romantic stuff. Gotta put yourself out there, just for the practice, so that when you DO meet the right gal you'll know what to do with her.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

loving DOG

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, was the chronology of the end of SHIELD totally hosed up? It was like four or five days after Hydra surfaced and Maria was employed by Stark and bitching about congressional committees like she'd been seeing them for months.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

BrianWilly posted:

I'm really glad Howard decided to destroy his things at the end because he very frankly should be arrested as a menace if he hadn't. Hell, I was on Dr. Faustus' side by the middle of the episode. You're trying to make a chemical that replicates the effects of "strong coffee" and it turns people into crazed berserkers? Why is the army even going to him to invent chemicals? Isn't he an engineer?? This is that movie thing where every scientist is automatically good at every kind of science, isn't it?

If a private citizen is not be allowed to keep the kind of highly destructive doomsday weapons built by an narcissistic egonomaniacal engineer in his vault, then this fictional america might as well be nazi germany. :colbert:

So any announcement regarding this show? How did it fare in the ratings? Are they planning of making more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

jscolon2.0 posted:

They fondued.

• Locked thread