Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ToxicSlurpee posted:

To get an idea of how atrocious American health issues are a few years ago I just randomly went down and had a seizure. I had never had one before and had never been diagnosed with anything seizure-related. My insurance company denied coverage of it due to being a "pre-existing condition" and I racked up like $10,000 of medical bills that just never got paid. The hospital later just forgave it because I'm poor as gently caress but really, insurance companies will use literally any excuse to not pay.

It looked so hopeful that you guys were going to get some sort of healthcare that wasn't poo poo, and then Obamacare turned out to mostly be a big, sloppy blowjob to insurance companies. Ridiculous, and very sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

PT6A posted:

It looked so hopeful that you guys were going to get some sort of healthcare that wasn't poo poo, and then Obamacare turned out to mostly be a big, sloppy blowjob to insurance companies. Ridiculous, and very sad.

What's really sad is even THAT'S too good for us according to half the population.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Pre-existing conditions is at least one thing that kind of not really got fixed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PT6A posted:

That's not entirely true; it did basically drive up enrollment but a whole bunch, but now at least 80% of insurance company revenue has to be spent on healthcare for customers, they can't deny anyone on the basis of "preexisting conditions", they can't drop you while you're sick, and there are a bunch of new rules that set a baseline for what plans must cover (whereas before a bunch of people were paying for insurance that didn't actually cover anything). And more reforms are still kicking in; in 2015 employers with at least 50 full-time employees must start offering insurance, in 2017 people with actual preexisting conditions will be charged the same as everyone else (thereby finally putting the issue to rest completely), and in 2018 plans that existed before the reforms will have to start offering free preventative care (new plans already have to do this).

Why is all of this good poo poo staggered in such a way? I don't loving know, but most of these reforms are already implemented and by 2018 our healthcare system will be in a way better position than it was in 2008.

So yeah, the insurance mandate thing is giving a bunch of money to insurance companies, but it also came with a huge list of extremely beneficial reforms that we desperately needed, which includes caps on insurance company profits. The new system is without a doubt better than the old. We didn't and still don't have enough progressive voices to implement something truly great, like single payer or a strong public option, but the Obamacare reforms are actually really good

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

Why is all of this good poo poo staggered in such a way?

Maybe so the right can destroy it before all the good poo poo takes effect?

That and change also takes time. Just how it is.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Maybe so the right can destroy it before all the good poo poo takes effect?

That and change also takes time. Just how it is.

Well, luckily they've failed to do that for all of the things that are already active. Profit caps are in, no more denial for preexisting is in, you can't be dropped while ill, and preventative care is already in for new plans. If the right is trying to destroy these things before they get implemented then they've done a lovely job so far. If we can make it to 2018 and get people with preexisting conditions to be charged the same as everyone else + free preventative care for everyone then we'll have something pretty reasonable on our hands.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

Well, luckily they've failed to do that for all of the things that are already active. Profit caps are in, no more denial for preexisting is in, you can't be dropped while ill, and preventative care is already in for new plans. If the right is trying to destroy these things before they get implemented then they've done a lovely job so far. If we can make it to 2018 and get people with preexisting conditions to be charged the same as everyone else + free preventative care for everyone then we'll have something pretty reasonable on our hands.

If. I guarantee a lot of that hinges on who wins the next election cycle. A Republican president with a wholly Republican Congress is either going to torpedo Obamacare totally or make slight improvements then act like everything was their doing from the get go.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Parents using bleach enemas to cure autism.

:nms:http://www.ifyouonlynews.com/weird-news/parents-giving-bleach-enemas-to-cure-their-children-of-autism-yeah-thats-a-thing:nms:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

We had this discussion already, why the gently caress did you have to remind me about it?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
"she did saw a virus of measles inside the intestine"

whaaaaaaaaaaat.

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010
:psyduck: I can't even....

They won't use vaccines because CHEMICALS, but they'll butt chug their kids with actual harmful substances.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Golbez posted:

"she did saw a virus of measles inside the intestine"

whaaaaaaaaaaat.

"Everyone who does this is an idiot, so make poo poo up and they'll buy it" would be my interpretation.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Complaining about that vaccine is also particularly stupid. The reason it comes under fire is because some people believe that promiscuity of any level should be severely punished so HPV is just God's way of punishing women who bone more than one dude over the course of their lives. While, you know, totally ignoring the fact that things like rape happen and humans have a long history of being really, really lovely at being monogamous. Or that not every religion is against sleeping around a bit.

There are also, of course, more ways than just loving to get HPV and the more strains of it you pick up the more likely they are to give a woman cervical cancer which is, you know, A Big Deal. In particular the strains that cause that are most commonly transmitted sexually but there are other ways to get it and seriously, it's a goddamned virus it doesn't give a poo poo how many dicks you've contained. If you get it it's going to do its thing no matter how you got it. It would be best if we could just, you know, exterminate that poo poo.

In JAMA published on 2/9/2015

quote:

Conclusion:

Human papillomavirus vaccination was not associated with increases in STIs in a large cohort of females, suggesting that vaccination is unlikely to promote unsafe sexual activity.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TheMaskedChemist posted:

:psyduck: I can't even....

They won't use vaccines because CHEMICALS, but they'll butt chug their kids with actual harmful substances.

How could Miracle Mineral Solution possibly be harmful????? How dare you slander these parents by implying that these dubiously named wonder cures are in any way unhealthy!!!!!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The real hosed up part that "miracle mineral solution" could have easily have been made with completely non-dangerous stuff and still sell just as well. It's really active malice.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lote posted:

In JAMA published on 2/9/2015

Please don't make me chase down citations. The source is here. The research comes with a large set of caveats that should be included in its citation, particularly for policy purposes.

quote:

Our study had several limitations. First, the decision to vaccinate against HPV may be correlated with unobserved characteristics that are also associated with STI risk, which would confound our estimates. For example, females who expect to become sexually active may be more likely to become vaccinated, which could spuriously suggest that HPV vaccination leads to greater sexual activity. Our difference-in-difference approach accounted for preexisting differences in STI rates between vaccinated and nonvaccinated females and found no effect of HPV vaccination on STI rates. It is possible, however, that HPV vaccination is more likely in households that are wealthier and more educated, which, if unaccounted for, could bias toward zero any deleterious effect of HPV vaccination on STI rates. Although we did not have data on family income or educational level, HPV vaccination was not associated with family socioeconomic status in several prior surveys.

Second, we identified STIs from insurance claims, which may miss visits to anonymous clinics and may also include episodes of STI testing rather than confirmed infection. We similarly identified HPV vaccinations from insurance claims, which may miss instances in which females were vaccinated in clinics that did not bill an individual’s insurance.

Third, STIs are but one measure of unsafe sexual activity, which could alternatively be assessed through questionnaires about condom use and number of sexual partners.

Fourth, we focused on the privately insured for whom effects of HPV vaccination may differ from those with public insurance or without insurance.

Fifth, our analysis was not powered to analyze specific STIs.

Sixth, parents of adolescent females would in most instances be aware if their daughter had an insurance claim filed by the health care professional for diagnosis and/or treatment of an STI, in contrast to free testing in a clinic that did not file an insurance claim. It is possible that sexual activity may be influenced by parents’ potential awareness of an STI diagnosis, which we could not account for.

Finally, we conducted a subgroup analysis of females with a contraceptive claim in the index quarter to identify females who were likely to already be sexually active. This approach misses other females who may be sexually active and using barrier contraception methods.

The short version is that they can't actually make those conclusions based on this dataset. The conclusion statement you quote goes outside the data, as is not unexpected for a clinician-facing publication, especially JAMA (online first status is also a warning sign). This study was whipped up to act as a persuasive document- it's not actually particularly valid (though it's very well-written).

We may find the policy appealing, but for scientific research, that can't be enough to justify a rhetoric of science. If we wish to distinguish ourselves from what we hate, we need to hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 24, 2015

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nintendo Kid posted:

The real hosed up part that "miracle mineral solution" could have easily have been made with completely non-dangerous stuff and still sell just as well. It's really active malice.
I guess if you're going to sell bullshit, you sell snakeoil that cleans out the gene pool.

They really should had the parents mainline the solution to create sympathetic quantum harmonics in the household first...

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Discendo Vox posted:

Please don't make me chase down citations. The source is here. The research comes with a large set of caveats that should be included in its citation, particularly for policy purposes.

The short version is that they can't actually make those conclusions based on this dataset. The conclusion statement you quote goes outside the data, as is not unexpected for a clinician-facing publication, especially JAMA (online first status is also a warning sign). This study was whipped up to act as a persuasive document- it's not actually particularly valid (though it's very well-written).

We may find the policy appealing, but for scientific research, that can't be enough to justify a rhetoric of science. If we wish to distinguish ourselves from what we hate, we need to hold ourselves to a higher standard.

I just picked that paper because it was the most recent one. There have been other papers in other journals. I can pull up the citations if you want. The papers out there right now show that there is a small percentage of parents concerned about sexual disinhibition and then several papers trying to show no increase in risky sexual behavior after vaccination. The quality of those studies are meh, either retrospective or cohort with "experimental" statistical analysis. I don't think that you'll get any prospective well-run studies for this question due to cost. There hasn't been a paper that affirms this concern about increase in risky sexual behavior.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

snorch posted:

along with the odd "modern medicine has come far enough that we can strengthen our immune systems better without vaccines" BS.

Every time someone drags this out, or the idea that XX illness was already dying out due to better hygiene/nutrition/etc... when the vaccine was introduced, and that we could easily do without said vaccine because of our comparatively improved health, I wonder how a disease that was almost dead in pre-vaccine, 1950s-hygiene-and-nutrition-and-medicine-level America, manages to roar back to life so dramatically among a tiny unvaccinated population, not to mention one which often prides itself on how well it takes care of itself, in 21st century hygiene-nutrition-medicine America. It is so weird.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Habibi posted:

Every time someone drags this out, or the idea that XX illness was already dying out due to better hygiene/nutrition/etc... when the vaccine was introduced, and that we could easily do without said vaccine because of our comparatively improved health, I wonder how a disease that was almost dead in pre-vaccine, 1950s-hygiene-and-nutrition-and-medicine-level America, manages to roar back to life so dramatically among a tiny unvaccinated population, not to mention one which often prides itself on how well it takes care of itself, in 21st century hygiene-nutrition-medicine America. It is so weird.

A good counter-example would be syphilis. It's incredibly treatable but we have no vaccine. The bacteria is highly susceptible to the same penicillin used in the 1940s with a 100% cure rate if given antibiotics. There is also no treatment besides antibiotics and our immune systems aren't getting better to defeat the bacteria. We now have cheap reliable testing to test for the disease. Despite these effective tests and treatments, we have not even come close to eliminating the disease. Compare the incidence per year of syphilis, a disease that we could treat exactly how you mentioned, versus any other disease that has a vaccine. We've eliminated small pox. We almost eliminated polio. Syphilis isn't going away.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Lote posted:

A good counter-example would be syphilis. It's incredibly treatable but we have no vaccine. The bacteria is highly susceptible to the same penicillin used in the 1940s with a 100% cure rate if given antibiotics. There is also no treatment besides antibiotics and our immune systems aren't getting better to defeat the bacteria. We now have cheap reliable testing to test for the disease. Despite these effective tests and treatments, we have not even come close to eliminating the disease. Compare the incidence per year of syphilis, a disease that we could treat exactly how you mentioned, versus any other disease that has a vaccine. We've eliminated small pox. We almost eliminated polio. Syphilis isn't going away.

People just keep on fuckin'!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Nintendo Kid posted:

The Sawbones podcast talks a lot about junk medicine like this from the days of patent medicine. A lot of these medicines had codeine, heroin, marijuana, alcohol, or other substances like laxatives to make the patient feel like "something" was happening, even if it wasn't anything beneficial or effective. When some of the narcotics were being cracked down on, they just mixed in some other random poo poo. One of the more famous examples being Jamaica ginger.

quote:

Jamaica Ginger extract, known in the United States by the slang name "Jake," was a late 19th-century patent medicine that provided a convenient way to bypass Prohibition laws, since it contained between 70-80% ethanol by weight.
However, after the feds shut them down for the booze content, they decided:

quote:

A pair of amateur chemists and bootleggers, Harry Gross and Max Reisman, worked to develop an alternative adulterant that would pass the tests, but still be somewhat palatable. They sought advice from a professor at MIT who did not realize it was meant for internal consumption. They settled on a plasticizer, tri-o-tolyl phosphate (also known as tri-ortho cresyl phosphate, TOCP, or Tricresyl phosphate), that was able to pass the Treasury Department's tests but preserved Jake's drinkability. TOCP was originally thought to be non-toxic; however, it was later determined to be a neurotoxin that causes axonal damage to the nerve cells in the nervous system of human beings, especially those located in the spinal cord. The resulting type of paralysis is now referred to as organophosphate-induced delayed neuropathy, or OPIDN.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
nm.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Habibi posted:

People just keep on fuckin'!

Pretty sure if you hosed someone who had small pox you'd get it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

Pretty sure if you hosed someone who had small pox you'd get it.

We're going to need a field trial.

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."

SedanChair posted:

I work with CPS on a regular basis, and they are incredibly powerless and overworked. I tell everyone to just report. Report, report, report, all the time, every time. The fatter the file gets the more likely they are to do something.

This is from a few pages back, but I wanted to echo it. I worked in a Youth Shelter in Indiana for a while, and as a result had more than a little interaction with CPS. There was a number of situations where we wanted to compel CPS to act, but they didn't have whatever they needed to actually take a child out of the home. It's never, ever good to end up reading about one of your old clients in the newspaper.

With that in mind, gently caress people who condemn CPS. I remember getting a haircut one day, and the hairdresser was talking about how the evil CPS had taken her brother's kids out of the home. All I could think was lady, do you have any idea how bad it has to get before they move?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bizarre Echo posted:

This is from a few pages back, but I wanted to echo it. I worked in a Youth Shelter in Indiana for a while, and as a result had more than a little interaction with CPS. There was a number of situations where we wanted to compel CPS to act, but they didn't have whatever they needed to actually take a child out of the home. It's never, ever good to end up reading about one of your old clients in the newspaper.

With that in mind, gently caress people who condemn CPS. I remember getting a haircut one day, and the hairdresser was talking about how the evil CPS had taken her brother's kids out of the home. All I could think was lady, do you have any idea how bad it has to get before they move?

Yeah well I know my brother made a few mistakes but he's a good guy underneath it all, you know? I'm sure he was going to clean up his act soon and they were just being jerks. I mean you'll get what I'm saying when you're a parent. Having children is stressful and it isn't his fault if stress gets the best of him occasionally.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Bizarre Echo posted:

Yeah I had a client tell me CPS had taken his 3 kids and how it was all just a personal grudge held by the case worker. The instant he told me my opinion shifted to "Oh, this guy might be mentally ill." It's basically a state certificate of 'Here Be Dragons'.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

What's the difference between CPS and a rottweiler. At least with a rottweiler you get some of the kid back. A social worker told me that joke.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/25/8104825/gardasil-works-so-why-arent-more-girls-getting-innoculated

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

I'm pretty sure that's a BS clickbait story, since there's no other stories about it that don't link back to ifyouonlynews. So I have to call BS on that story. It's an unverified story from a third rate web site that tailors stories to our fears.

Whenever you read some outrageous story that conforms to your opinion, then you should be even more vigilant about it. "If your mom says she loves you, get a second opinion." It seems cynical, but a rush to believe stories too good to be true has fouled up quite a few journalists. Let's at least pretend to be smarter than journalism school students.

There are companies out there that do rear end bleachings, but their primary market is pornstars, plus any aspiring models trying to hide the fact that they poop from there. And I'm pretty sure that they don't use actual bleach, they're just whitening up assholes to make them look good on film.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

thrakkorzog posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a BS clickbait story, since there's no other stories about it that don't link back to ifyouonlynews. So I have to call BS on that story. It's an unverified story from a third rate web site that tailors stories to our fears.

Whenever you read some outrageous story that conforms to your opinion, then you should be even more vigilant about it. "If your mom says she loves you, get a second opinion." It seems cynical, but a rush to believe stories too good to be true has fouled up quite a few journalists. Let's at least pretend to be smarter than journalism school students.

There are companies out there that do rear end bleachings, but their primary market is pornstars, plus any aspiring models trying to hide the fact that they poop from there. And I'm pretty sure that they don't use actual bleach, they're just whitening up assholes to make them look good on film.

No, it's quite real. The ifyouonlynews article was written this month, but Miracle Mineral Solution (aka bleach sold to parents as a cure-all, including an autism cure) has been around and marketed to people for all sorts of maladies, and there are tons and tons of articles and posts that are older than the ifyouonlynews article. I don't know how you managed to miss them. For instance, here's the FDA's page on MMS and another FDA page warning consumers that MMS is not an autism cure, bleach doesn't cure autism, stop feeding bleach to your kids

e: Seriously, what was your search term? There are thousands of pages on this stuff written before the ifyouonlynews article, including wikis with protocols for using MMS as an enema by the crazy people who sell MMS to desperate parents. It's all completely real

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 26, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Main Paineframe posted:

Yes, it absolutely matters. The end does not justify the means; medical benefits that may accrue as a side effect of unethical or illegal conduct do not justify those breaches of ethics, and in fact those medical benefits are tainted by those same breaches of ethics.

I wouldn't go so far as your last sentence. But yeah. Ethics are ethics, and in matters of ethics, the ends don't justify the means. Say I am prosecuting a known child rapist and killer who has said if he's released he will absolutely keep attacking children, but I don't have enough admissible evidence to convict him. Falsifying evidence would guarantee he wouldnt kill another child. Does that make it ok?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

I wouldn't go so far as your last sentence. But yeah. Ethics are ethics, and in matters of ethics, the ends don't justify the means. Say I am prosecuting a known child rapist and killer who has said if he's released he will absolutely keep attacking children, but I don't have enough admissible evidence to convict him. Falsifying evidence would guarantee he wouldnt kill another child. Does that make it ok?

That wouldn't be ethical, but I think the comparable situation would be something like the parents of a child who got raped offering you a bonus if you manage to convict the guy (which you have the tools to do, and which already should be your goal). It's probably still not ethical, but I'm a lot less concerned about the consequences.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

PT6A posted:

That wouldn't be ethical, but I think the comparable situation would be something like the parents of a child who got raped offering you a bonus if you manage to convict the guy (which you have the tools to do, and which already should be your goal). It's probably still not ethical, but I'm a lot less concerned about the consequences.

So more justice for the wealthy? That's not a consequence of concern? The whole reason professional ethics exist is to serve as a bulwark against "ends justifies the means" thinking.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

ActusRhesus posted:

So more justice for the wealthy? That's not a consequence of concern? The whole reason professional ethics exist is to serve as a bulwark against "ends justifies the means" thinking.

And in fact, those ethics aren't really concerned about the merits of individual cases, but about the overall effect. It might be in some ways ethical to fake evidence to convict a person you know to be guilty, for all I know, but I'm sure if this behaviour was undertaken in every case the overall effect would be enormously destructive to the justice system and to justice.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

Would it not, hypothetically, have been your job to zealously pursue a conviction with or without possibly getting paid by the victim's family, though? Assuming you are able to do it entirely through legal means, not falsifying evidence or anything like that.

I get that Rick Perry is a massive rear end in a top hat, and a corrupt bastard, but I think it's a pretty good thing that a bunch of kids got vaccinated against a dangerous disease when they otherwise probably wouldn't have, and even though it's expensive, it's money that any ordinary healthcare system should be spending.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

ActusRhesus posted:

Falsifying evidence would guarantee he wouldnt kill another child. Does that make it ok?

That eventual child and his/her parents would say yes.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Disinterested posted:

And in fact, those ethics aren't really concerned about the merits of individual cases, but about the overall effect. It might be in some ways ethical to fake evidence to convict a person you know to be guilty, for all I know, but I'm sure if this behaviour was undertaken in every case the overall effect would be enormously destructive to the justice system and to justice.

It is never ethical to falsify evidence.

PT6A posted:

Would it not, hypothetically, have been your job to zealously pursue a conviction with or without possibly getting paid by the victim's family, though? Assuming you are able to do it entirely through legal means, not falsifying evidence or anything like that.

I get that Rick Perry is a massive rear end in a top hat, and a corrupt bastard, but I think it's a pretty good thing that a bunch of kids got vaccinated against a dangerous disease when they otherwise probably wouldn't have, and even though it's expensive, it's money that any ordinary healthcare system should be spending.

Is it my job to work "harder" on cases where the family can afford to give me more money? I think every single government ethics regulation prohibiting the acceptance of gifts for work performed in an official capacity has answered this question...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

That eventual child and his/her parents would say yes.

so we suspend the rights of the accused if the accused is "really bad?"

that's not how it works.

• Locked thread