Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

This looks AMAZING. I cannot wait to give it a shot tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

loving finally. I can now ditch my HTPC.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone know if its possible to symlink the media info files folder out of my appdata folder? I don't want to move the whole app data folder since its on my SSD. The wiki didn't say.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/202197528

teagone posted:

loving finally. I can now ditch my HTPC.

My thoughts as well. I am going to pick up the roku since I am tired of dealing with chromecast and a HTPC.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Is there a simple way to back up or export my PLEX settings? I am getting a new hard drive soon and I have to reinstall Windows, PLEX, etc. All paths, OS, libraries, user profile names, and passwords will remain the same during this transition.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

Is there a simple way to back up or export my PLEX settings? I am getting a new hard drive soon and I have to reinstall Windows, PLEX, etc. All paths, OS, libraries, user profile names, and passwords will remain the same during this transition.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201370363-Move-an-Install-to-Another-System

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm using the Plex naming conventions, but I think the way the files are set up are confusing the system because the multi-episode stories are combined into single videos. I'll try re-ripping them and see if the one-episode-per-file thing helps.

What's a good, free program for ripping a TV show?

Funny thing about that: I did have everything named correctly, but Plex keeps pulling information from TheTVDB and overwriting the filename info and it keeps trying to put things in broadcast order, not DVD order. I ended up just telling it to ignore the metadata for the show and entered the info by hand.

e: nevermind, I do have the file in the right format, it just seems like TVDB considers JL and JLU one series, so things get confused because Plex can't seem to tell if there are three seasons or five. :psyduck:

I had this same problem, use the plugin in this link to scrape the DVD order from TVDB.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/34503-dvd-sort-order-for-thetvdb/

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Thank you

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Dsmif posted:

I had this same problem, use the plugin in this link to scrape the DVD order from TVDB.

Does switching to themoviedb scraper work? Yes, the website does tv shows now too.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Good choice to use the Xperience1080 skin from XBMC/Kodi as a template.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is that theme an existing one for plex that you can download? I saw it on the videos of the Xbox app and it looks quite cool. I've never strayed from the default one but change is always fun.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is that theme an existing one for plex that you can download? I saw it on the videos of the Xbox app and it looks quite cool. I've never strayed from the default one but change is always fun.

Which client?

e: do any of the roku boxes support 24p when using plex? My google fu is failing me.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 25, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry just normal PHT client for Windows/OSX.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

edit: It seems that I have to update the Synology from DSM 4 to 5 to update Plex. Shoot.
Is that not an option for your Synology model? DSM 5 is really nice. The last few updates to the Synology Plex server have (in my experience) dramatically improved performance too.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sorry just normal PHT client for Windows/OSX.

There are actually a bunch of nice skins but you need to wade through the plex forums.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

kri kri posted:

There are actually a bunch of nice skins but you need to wade through the plex forums.

Any particular recommendations? The wading is a pain.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it's good (bad) to see that the Plex community treats skins exactly like XBMC.org does - OPs that haven't been updated in 4+ years with no screenshots of what the actual thing looks like.

I was just curious to know if it was possible to make PHT look like the Plex app on the consoles, but yeah... wading.

e: thankfully the ones that do have screenshots tell me enough about them that I know I don't want them anywhere near my system What is it about skin creators and having absolutely no clue about design? It's like the changes the forums go through when Lowtax gets high and starts hacking away wildly at the CSS.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 25, 2015

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Ugh I did not pay attention the new role theme is plex pass only.

When is this 'official'?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I am having an issue with Plex playing videos with Direct Play through my Roku 3. The video displays fine and smooth but I am getting no audio for the vast majority of my files. Any ideas?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Xavier434 posted:

I am having an issue with Plex playing videos with Direct Play through my Roku 3. The video displays fine and smooth but I am getting no audio for the vast majority of my files. Any ideas?

Do you have an older receiver that doesn't support advanced audio codecs? I think there's some options in the Roku Plex client to force 2-channel or transcoded audio --Do those do anything to help?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

Do you have an older receiver that doesn't support advanced audio codecs? I think there's some options in the Roku Plex client to force 2-channel or transcoded audio --Do those do anything to help?

I will fiddle some more with those settings and see if anything helps.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone having issues with the new plex on Roku? If I try to play a file it gets artifacts and corrupting and usually quits in a minute or two. Restarting the video makes it behaves, but for now I have to play every video twice. Rarflix works fine.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Anyone having issues with the new plex on Roku? If I try to play a file it gets artifacts and corrupting and usually quits in a minute or two. Restarting the video makes it behaves, but for now I have to play every video twice. Rarflix works fine.

It's a preview release, so there are likely some bugs you'll encounter. I'd suggest letting the team know the issues you're having on their support boards. They're usually pretty good at responding :)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My next question was if the app had any bug reporting but I'll be sure to let them know.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

I have Plex for Roku hooked up to an Onkyo receiver. Is there any way to play multichannel audio files in Plex?

Most of the ones I have are in FLAC. Plex doesn't play them, it just cycles it's way through the album. I can play them from a PC using Foobar and it all works fine. I would just rather not have to resort to a keyboard and mouse.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

So I tried forcing stereo through my Roku but that didn't fix my lack of audio issue with direct play. Any other ideas?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Xavier434 posted:

So I tried forcing stereo through my Roku but that didn't fix my lack of audio issue with direct play. Any other ideas?

Are you using the preview release?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know this is from a few days ago, but

Dsmif posted:

How do I get this plugin to work? I put the .bundle in the Plugins folder, but it doesn't seem to do anything and I can't figure out how to activate it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

teagone posted:

Are you using the preview release?

Nope

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I'm traveling a lot now for work. Should I go ahead and get a PlexPass subscription?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I'm traveling a lot now for work. Should I go ahead and get a PlexPass subscription?

Only if you need to load up media for network dead zones. And even then is it worth that cost VA manually loading your phone/laptop?

If you have a data plan, or will be in places you can access your home server via the Internet, it's not needed at all

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I bought PlexPass when it was still $75 lifetime, but it's absolutely worth it for me as a frequent traveler.

I never have to sit down before a trip to manually load up my iPad, never have to manually update watched/unwatched data when I get home.

If I'm binge-watching a series I can watch as many episodes as I want at home, then hit "sync" before bed and be sure that I have the next ep with me on the plane the next day.

I can also take old shows I don't mind casually rewatching and set them to sync a few episodes on low-priority to fill any remaining space on my iPad after anything new is loaded on. That way I'm never stuck in the air with absolutely nothing to watch.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I bought lifetime a while ago and it's been completely worth it.

I also don't mind spending money on something that I use every day.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

I bought PlexPass when it was still $75 lifetime, but it's absolutely worth it for me as a frequent traveler.

I never have to sit down before a trip to manually load up my iPad, never have to manually update watched/unwatched data when I get home.

If I'm binge-watching a series I can watch as many episodes as I want at home, then hit "sync" before bed and be sure that I have the next ep with me on the plane the next day.

I can also take old shows I don't mind casually rewatching and set them to sync a few episodes on low-priority to fill any remaining space on my iPad after anything new is loaded on. That way I'm never stuck in the air with absolutely nothing to watch.

Plus you can have it just sync unwatched episodes and it does everything for you. I use this all the time. Thankfully I got into the lifetime plex before they raised the prices. I see mediabrowser is requiring a "supporter" payment to use their sync. I wonder if the xbmc users are having a meltdown since they would always bitch about plex being paid :laugh:

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I just installed Rasplex to the new Raspberry Pi 2. The increased horsepower is a big plus. Menu navigation is nice and snappy.

For anyone who doesnt care about the "all in one" benefit of the Roku3, I reccommend the RPi2 running Rasplex. The lackluster GUI on Roku has kept me away, but ill be curious to hear about the updated GUI.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is that the quad core one? Half of me wishes I could keep my setup the way it is, but hang a few of those off it for when other people need to access the library (then push the transcoding to a Pi). Right now I don't have the horsepower for 2 transcodes at once, which is a bit annoying if I want to start something on the Apple TV while friends are 3/4 through a film.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is that the quad core one?

yes. http://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-2-model-b/

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
So I just read the thread and the features page of the site, but one thing wasn't clear to me: Does it handle ISOs? All of my movies are stored as direct disc images (both blu rays and DVDs). Does it support that or is it limited only to video files like mkv?

Recycled Karma
Jul 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer

TheGreySpectre posted:

So I just read the thread and the features page of the site, but one thing wasn't clear to me: Does it handle ISOs? All of my movies are stored as direct disc images (both blu rays and DVDs). Does it support that or is it limited only to video files like mkv?

No. See https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200264956-ISO-IMG-and-Video-TS-Movie-files

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You can run software that'll take dvd images and spit out an MKV with no encoding. I do that and it works fine, one I use is called MakeMKV and it's a single button job. Can include whatever extras you want too, so you can put them in special folders that Plex will pick up on. Works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
anyone have any issues running plex on an ipad 1st gen?