Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
First Solar!

Holy poo poo what a great year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
FSLR announces yield co, shares up 10% pre-market, woo ha :kiddo:

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
CSIQ, you know what must be done. Stop loving around.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm upside limited above 55 (my upside is in fact 0 above 55)....that is the only sour note of this news.

And yeah looks good for CSIQ, although I think a yieldco is about 75% priced-in to the stock already. The buying of the projects in the UK means they are almost certainly going to announce one (not much reason to buy them other than a yieldco). Not announcing one will be a negative.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Uhh when should I sell my SPWR SUNE and CSIQ...I was planning on holding through the year but this is insane.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I was letting CSIQ ride with a trailing stop -3, tightened that up to -1.50 today. I don't have a good theory about where to get out at this point, but I'll happily take whatever profits I'll have when the stop gets hit.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!
I opened a position in TRN last week right before their Q4 earnings release. I'm up ~13%.

The firm produces rolling stock used to transport commodities (e.g., oil) across the States.
They had been on an upward trajectory for the past couple years due to growing demand for rolling stock plus expectations of updated regulatory requirements which would force users of tank cars etc. to purchase newer, safer versions. TRN also trades at a discount (multiples-wise) to peers like GBX and ARII.

They took a big hit late last year due to a combination of falling oil prices and litigation related to one of their road products. I don't believe falling oil prices will have a material impact on their short or mid-term income given the huge backlog of demand for their products plus the fact that energy-related products represent a relatively small sliver of their revenues. I also don't believe the product failure lawsuit will hold up in appeals. I believe news related to that is coming out next month which may be the catalyst for further upside. They've set aside a billion dollars for the lawsuit so if it turns out well for them, they'll be free to throw that back into expanding or share repurchases.

Anyone following them or have any thoughts?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I was letting CSIQ ride with a trailing stop -3, tightened that up to -1.50 today. I don't have a good theory about where to get out at this point, but I'll happily take whatever profits I'll have when the stop gets hit.

I'm in the same boat, a little tighter actually (my cost basis was closer to 22 as opposed to some goons who were cost basis under $20) at around $29.66. I will gladly take my 30%, didn't take VSLR out when it popped a month or two ago thinking i would ride it and now its just flat.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

In the same position CSIQ has been a great ride so far:homebrew: . What's the hive minds opinion of SBUX been in for around a year with a 20%ish gain and thinking about jumping out soon. If only GOGO would turn around :argh:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
BBL has been a bit of a ride as well. I think oil and commodities in general will go back up in the near/mid term, BBL is big enough to weather the storm. Kinda wish I would have bought more a month ago.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nephzinho posted:

I'm in the same boat, a little tighter actually (my cost basis was closer to 22 as opposed to some goons who were cost basis under $20) at around $29.66. I will gladly take my 30%, didn't take VSLR out when it popped a month or two ago thinking i would ride it and now its just flat.

I'm sticking with VSLR until it pops, if it ever does. No doubt it's risky, but by the same token I think it COULD easily double over the course of the next year. It's a mini-SolarCity, yet trades at a much lower multiple relative to the stats that drive those business. And while I am not a big fan of the lease/PPA business model, you can't ignore that their businesses are seeing explosive sales growth.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Reading this article from a few years ago about Solar farm REITs: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-01-21/solar-costs-to-fall-as-reits-emerge-as-source-of-funding

Did that actually pan out? Are there any Solar farm REIT index funds out there? Hard to find much by googling.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Is CSIQ the new Apple in this thread? I don't see everyone's infatuation with it.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Is CSIQ the new Apple in this thread? I don't see everyone's infatuation with it.

Well it's up over 50% since people started talking about it like 3-4 weeks ago.

edit: closer to 60% than 50%.

I sold puts against it and they expired worthless, but I would have been better off going long the stock (or buying calls obviously). I never expected it to explode 55%+ though. I thought it was a bargain at $19 or so but goddamn.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 25, 2015

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

DNova posted:

Well it's up over 50% since people started talking about it like 3-4 weeks ago.

edit: closer to 60% than 50%.

I sold puts against it and they expired worthless, but I would have been better off going long the stock (or buying calls obviously). I never expected it to explode 55%+ though. I thought it was a bargain at $19 or so but goddamn.

It's a small cap company in a niche market, I am sure you can say the same about many similar stocks.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Cheesemaster200 posted:

it's funny because I've seen you jump on the bandwagon with so many of these stocks

but that said, no. it's not.

I'm very familiar with the industry, and pretty familiar with the company (met with someone employed by canadian solar as recently as last week), and I don't know of any reason to be infatuated with the company in particular.

the industry as a whole will continue blowing up though, and I'm very much long solar. I think JKS and SUNE are better plays personally.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

There's a bunch of posters, myself included, who got in at a good time when it was significantly underpriced at ~$20.

I don't think it's a particularly good deal at the current price; if you didn't already hold CSIQ it would not be a particularly great time to buy in.

But those of us who did earlier are still going to smugly enjoy talking about this trade that is working out well for the time being. :smug:

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Cheesemaster200 posted:

It's a small cap company in a niche market, I am sure you can say the same about many similar stocks.

So why not post some of your ideas then?

CSIQ was a good play because it was irrationally coupled with falling oil and there was huge upside potential with multiple potential short term catalysts.

That's what we're all here for, after all.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

neonbregna posted:

In the same position CSIQ has been a great ride so far:homebrew: . What's the hive minds opinion of SBUX been in for around a year with a 20%ish gain and thinking about jumping out soon. If only GOGO would turn around :argh:

Looks like GOGO was listening...

Rbear
Jul 30, 2014
So I signed up for robinhood and put a couple hundred in. This morning placed a trade for bioc, maximum number of shares allowed by the app for my account. The order was pending all day and I just got an email telling me my order was cancelled. It is kinda sad because the stock is going up and i didnt miss the ride up yet, it went up 30% today. Is it normal for brokers to cancel orders?

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Did you place a limit order or market order?

Rbear
Jul 30, 2014
It was a market buy. Could it be because the stock went up so high as soon as it opened? I placed the order 2 hours before the markets opened.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I would think that it depends on how much room there was between your market buy and your funds. For instance, you only had $500, and you wanted 10 shares of something at $49.5. If the stock gets up to $50.01 before you get in, you are still requesting 10 shares, it'll never fulfill your order because you dont have the funds.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
A basic question since I'm still relatively new to this. Can someone recommend me a good desktop broker tool ? I usually use the one from my bank, which is kinda ok, but I want to check out what else is out there.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
robinhood
https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=APHRX5TA
https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=TVDOZATJ
https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=RUSRZ5GQ

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

mindphlux posted:

it's funny because I've seen you jump on the bandwagon with so many of these stocks

but that said, no. it's not.

I'm very familiar with the industry, and pretty familiar with the company (met with someone employed by canadian solar as recently as last week), and I don't know of any reason to be infatuated with the company in particular.

the industry as a whole will continue blowing up though, and I'm very much long solar. I think JKS and SUNE are better plays personally.

It's not about liking the company, it's about liking them at the price. I hate Walmart, it's a profitable company though. If they suddenly traded at a PE of 1, I would back the truck up.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Alright so what stock is stupidly mispriced now?

Market as a whole trades at absurd multiples, so it's not exactly easy to find value. I saw mention today that ~every sector is above historical values (not sure if true).

Only one seriously on my RADAR is HOS, an oil services company that trades at a deep discount to book, but I'm not quite ready to dive in yet given the volatility of oil prices and current oversupply of oil. The risk of getting in too soon weighs heavily.

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
Every asset on the entire planet is mispriced. Price discovery has been eradicated by central banks across the world. They've made sure that every sector index and stock index on the planet is being dragged higher every second of every day in every country. Just take a look at a list of indexes around the world. China, Japan, US, Europe, India, you name it is at the high of the day or a few ticks off all day everyday regardless of anything. Massive collusion at its finest and quite a spectacle to watch. Unfortunately it means that no where will be safe once whatever brings it down occurs.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
zerohedge is leaking

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Jack posted:

Every asset on the entire planet is mispriced. Price discovery has been eradicated by central banks across the world. They've made sure that every sector index and stock index on the planet is being dragged higher every second of every day in every country. Just take a look at a list of indexes around the world. China, Japan, US, Europe, India, you name it is at the high of the day or a few ticks off all day everyday regardless of anything. Massive collusion at its finest and quite a spectacle to watch. Unfortunately it means that no where will be safe once whatever brings it down occurs.

This time it's different

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

District Selectman posted:

zerohedge is leaking

Well I dunno about what he is talking about (seems like some world markets are underpriced, and plus currency fluctuations play a large role in those markets and the US dollar is booming)....but there's no doubt that the US stock market trades at perilous historical multiples. Which isn't to say that there will be a correction, because it's pretty drat hard to predict when the music will stop.

I think the play here is to find cheap stocks that will be able to weather any storm that could occur in the short term, and to make sure you're not overexposed/unhedged.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Well, when a ten year Treasury is yielding less than 2%, SPY at an earnings yield of over 5% doesn't look too bad.

But this year probably isn't going to be like years previous, where you could throw darts, buy whatever they landed on, and make money.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Jack posted:

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Johhny!

Jack
Jan 19, 2001

Arkane posted:

Well I dunno about what he is talking about (seems like some world markets are underpriced, and plus currency fluctuations play a large role in those markets and the US dollar is booming)....but there's no doubt that the US stock market trades at perilous historical multiples. Which isn't to say that there will be a correction, because it's pretty drat hard to predict when the music will stop.

I think the play here is to find cheap stocks that will be able to weather any storm that could occur in the short term, and to make sure you're not overexposed/unhedged.

Look at any countries market index (SPY, DAX, FTSE, KOSPI, NIKKEI, Shanghai, ect.). Every last one of them is at the high of the day every day practically all day long. You can't tell me that every company on the planet is so undervalued everyday to where every market index on the planet has to be bought so aggressively to where they trade at the high of the day every day. It suggests massive price fixing on a global scale and thus a removal of honest price discovery. Under a system of price fixing nothing is cheap or expensive.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Agronox posted:

Well, when a ten year Treasury is yielding less than 2%, SPY at an earnings yield of over 5% doesn't look too bad.

But this year probably isn't going to be like years previous, where you could throw darts, buy whatever they landed on, and make money.

The nutty thing is that me and my family are horrible monsters who actually wish for another 2008, cause now we finally have sufficient assets where investing blindly into a recovering market would double or triple our savings in a meaningful way (aka as in "never have to work again").

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jack posted:

help me what is "number"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jack posted:

Look at any countries market index (SPY, DAX, FTSE, KOSPI, NIKKEI, Shanghai, ect.). Every last one of them is at the high of the day every day practically all day long. You can't tell me that every company on the planet is so undervalued everyday to where every market index on the planet has to be bought so aggressively to where they trade at the high of the day every day. It suggests massive price fixing on a global scale and thus a removal of honest price discovery. Under a system of price fixing nothing is cheap or expensive.

Are they hitting P/E highs every day? Because merely seeing highs on valuation every day does not have to mean price fixing, it could also reflect rising global productivity and an expanding global economy.

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
P/E is a stupid metric as it can be manipulated by a number of accounting tricks. Revenue is a more accurate measure of things and if you look at revenue for the SPY its projected to decline, while the SPY is a tick under all time highs. I presume that would put the SPY p/s ratio at new highs everyday. I honestly haven't looked at revenue projections or p/s ratios elsewhere in the world but I can't imagine they're much better.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here is a chart of global GDP:

from the world bank

quote:

Dollar figures for GDP are converted from domestic currencies using single year official exchange rates. For a few countries where the official exchange rate does not reflect the rate effectively applied to actual foreign exchange transactions, an alternative conversion factor is used.

Whether or not you accept P/E for a given company, I would think that P/E for entire markets is a reasonable metric, particularly over long periods of time. P/E appears to be high, but not horribly so, for the S&P 500:

Price earnings ratio is based on average inflation-adjusted earnings from the previous 10 years, known as the Cyclically Adjusted PE Ratio (CAPE Ratio), Shiller PE Ratio, or PE 10
source

while the S&P 500 earnings appear to be in line with the historical trend:

S&P 500 Earnings Per Share. 12-month real earnings per share — inflation adjusted, constant December 2014 dollars.
source (note the log scale)

I'm not arguing that the indexes are definitely not overpriced, mind you: I'm only arguing that a global price-fixing conspiracy seems less likely of an explanation, than that global markets are evaluating the above data and behaving rationally as bulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

It suggests massive price fixing on a global scale and thus a removal of honest price discovery.

If you can just arbitrarily change the price of a stock (through price-fixing witchcraft or whatever) you wouldn't have them go up every day all the time. You'd have them go up and down willy-nilly so that you could buy and sell and make lots of money. If you believe lots of stuff is overpriced, you could be right (heck, I agree for large swaths of the market). But if you're going to have a conspiracy behind it, that conspiracy needs a sensible motive or mechanism.

quote:

P/E is a stupid metric as it can be manipulated by a number of accounting tricks. Revenue is a more accurate measure of things and if you look at revenue

I would like to know about some of these accounting tricks that you figure are being used, these ones that allow you to fudge your P/E (but apparently don't affect revenue). Maybe name a single specific company that you think is doing this, and where you think all those lies are accumulating on their balance sheet.